chapter 18

Never too late

“Honey, please no calls during dinner.” Mrs. Shim gave her husband a look. “I’m calling Ara. She isn’t picking up.” Mr. Shim answered with a worried look.

 Jiyeon rolled her eyes. “Because of you she doesn’t do anything daring. Just let her have some fun.” Mr. Shim sighed. “But I’m worried.” “Ara is twenty-seven, dear. If they’ll be anything wrong, she’ll call.” Mrs. Shim assured.

“So, how have you’ve been, stupid?” jiyeon turned to kyuhyun who frowned. “You’re twenty now. Shouldn’t you stop calling me that?” “I might be twenty but you’re still stupid.” Jiyeon reasoned.

“it feels good not to be the only one called that.” Changmin chimed in. “jiyeon how many times have told you not to call your brothers stupid?” Mrs. Shim asked with a frown. Jiyeon just rolled her eyes.

“Kyuhyun oppa! Did you have a girlfriend in America?” soyeon asked. Kyuhyun smiled. “if there was, you would have met her by now.” Soyeon pouted. “still single then?”

“Well no surprise there.” Jiyeon remarked. “jiyeon unnie’s friends saw your picture and they went crazy.” Kyuhyun turned to the older one, “they hot?” earning a smack.

“dear, you want me to set you up with someone?” Mrs. Shim asked. Kyuhyun cleared his throat as he give nabyul a quick glance.

Before he could decline, changmin butted in. “no! Kyuhyun can’t date. It’s just out of the question. I can’t let him.”

 Nabyul give him a questioning look. Did he read my mind?’ “Because he’s mine. All mine.” He gave off a cheeky smile. Soyeon scrunched up her face.

“You have a beautiful wife, why can’t you let kyuhyun have one?” “I don’t even know why nabyul unnie said yes to you.” Jiyeon butted in. she turned to nabyul, “why did you choose him? I mean kyuhyun was way better. Why changmin?”

nabyul smiled. “Because I was in love with him.” She looked over to kyuhyun who was busy in eating. Her shoulder’s slummed slightly. She mentally slapped herself. ‘What were you doing? Trying to get him to be jealous? You shouldn’t even care, he doesn’t.’ she thought.

But kyuhyun was listening ‘loved him?’ her words replayed in his mind. What nobody noticed was how changmin was staring at kyuhyun the whole time.

 

 

 

“I don’t get it. Why do I have to come to work with you?” “Because we are besties and shall never be apart.” Changmin sang, while driving. He had forced kyuhyun out of the bed in the morning so he could come to the office with him.

Kyuhyun grunted. “I’m on a vacation. I want to rest for a while.” He lightly hit his head on the side window.

“boohoo. Now stop complaining. Appa wants you to work for us. You could be the company lawyer. We could both work together.” Changmin smiled. Just the thought made him giddy inside.

 “Great. The only few hours without your annoying presence will be gone.”

“Hey, you will get all the time alone when I’m gone.” “Huh? Gone where?”

“No where. Now stop complaining or I’ll turn on my snsd jazz.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Spare me.”

 

 

“And this is where I practice my art.” Changmin pointed to the desk. He was giving kyuhyun a tour of his office. “Art?” kyuhyun questioned.

“He doodles and stuff when he gets bored or to show the CEO that he is doing some work.” Jongmin answered. “jongmin? tattling on your boss? That’s it write an apology report.” Changmin ordered. “But-“

“OUT!” with that, the secretary had no choice but to follow his boss’s orders.

Kyuhyun raised a brow. “Apology report?” “I like to sign stuff. It makes me look professional.” “Why don’t you try actually working like everyone else?”

 “Nah, my body was not made for that.” Changmin answered. “Now sit down.”

Sitting on the chair facing the desk, kyuhyun noticed two picture frames; one with a picture of the three best friends and the other was nabyul and Changmin’s wedding picture.

“Why don’t you have one of umma and appa? Like a family portrait?” kyuhyun asked. “Appa has it in his office.” Kyuhyun nodded and picked up the second picture frame.

“Wedding picture?” changmin nodded with a smile. “you guys look great together. Nabi looks…beautiful.” He said looking at his first love dressed in the white wedding gown.

“I know, she had always been beautiful. I sometimes I still can’t believe she is my wife.” Changmin said. “like a girl this perfect and she is all mine.”

Kyuhyun smiled at his best friend. He always thought about how he loved nabyul that he failed to notice that changmin too was very much in love with her.

 “and she is so innocent. You know who her first kiss was with?” kyuhyun stared at changmin.

‘did nabi tell him?’

“it was with me, like I feel so lucky” changmin answered.

‘she didn’t? Was it because she thought it didn’t matter or because she thought it did?’