Goodhearted

The Many Sides of Byun Baekhyun

note: mild swearing, but since it's only a bit i'm not going to rate this chapter.

--

Date:  September 16                   

 

It's been about three weeks since Baekhyun's first day. All of us are getting along quite well. He had been a bit nervous and slightly on the shy side the first day, since moving was completely unfamiliar to him, but we quickly discovered that he is just as crazy as us. He always has jokes up his sleeves and you would be surprised at some of the things that came out of his mouth. On top of that, he's incredibly friendly to all types of people.

Remember I mentioned that I expected he would be receiving love letters? Well, just as I foresaw, he got his first one. Today, in fact. But it was definitely the result of his good heart, and not just his good looks; something that I admire.

It was a result from an incident last week. There's a girl in our math class who is a bit of a wallflower. She generally stays on the sides, tries to remain invisible, and not attract attention. Because when she does attract attention...it's usually negative. She is on the chubby side and a bit clumsy, so she gets teased for it. Her name is Suyeon. I don't know too much about her, because this is the first time I've ever had a class with her. I just notice she tends to keep to herself. She never raises her hand to answer or ask questions, and doesn't appear to have many friends (if any). She often eats alone with her nose behind a book, minding her own business, lost in her own world.

The complete opposite of her is Jihyun, a popular and rather pretty girl, well known amongst all the students in our year, and the years above and below. Her I know about. She is often the centre of attention, and if she isn't, she'll make sure that the attention somehow falls back onto her. She's a dancer, and that's one reason for her popularity. Some guys don't hesitate to hover around her and sneak peeks at her practicing her dancing in the gym. But as typical and predictable as it is, she is not very nice. Her boyfriend Dongyul, also predictably, is a popular goodlooking guy...also known to be an . Don't they suit each other so well? I sometimes wonder if it's possible for there to be a wildly popular and pretty girl that's also incredibly nice. I guess that would cause an inbalance of things, as she would basically be an angel on earth.

The reason I bring these two up is because they were the cause of trouble. They had been subtly harassing Suyeon for the past few weeks, progressively becoming more aggressive. It started off with just moving past her desk and "accidentally" pushing over a pencil, or an eraser, or a book. Then loud whispers in her direction, referring to her weight. Dropping notes on her desk with one word insults, also linked to her weight. It escalated to light shoves into her as the passed. Taking her stuff and dropping it into a trash can. Until after lunch one day, they decided to completely call her out.

I remember that Baekhyun and I entered the classroom, laughing at an inside joke about Sehun's slight lisp. The teacher had not come in yet, as there was still a couple of minutes left until lunch ended. We continued to joke around, and I saw in the corner of my eye, Jihyun getting up from her desk. She walked over to Suyeon's desk, and plastered a fake sweet smile onto her face before she spoke.

"Suyeon-ah...I've had enough of you, ok?"

I stopped talking, and Baekhyun and I glanced over. The entire class had stopped talking, watching the scene that began to unfold at the back of the class. Suyeon was clearly confused, and asked Jihyun what she wanted, with a rather shaky voice. Suyeon's fake smile remained  on her face as her hand slammed onto the table. It was rather terrifying how she spoke so passive aggressively with that facial expression.

"Yah, , get it straight. Stop looking at my boyfriend and I. Do you have a problem with us? Come up and say it. I'm coming up to you now, aren't I? I don't like you. And neither does my boyfriend, so give it up. Just take your ugly fat into a corner and stay there, got it?"

Dongyul chuckled then, and said "I don't like fat people. You should probably stop stuffing yourself with hamburgers."

I was appalled by them, and by some of the people of the class that began to laugh with the two.

"You know what describes you perfectly? Ddungddonghaeyo*-"

"Your words are really too much, guys. Shut your traps."

A voice interrupted Jihyun. I turned to see Baekhyun had stood up. The whole class gaped at him as he continued.

"She has done nothing to you at all. So just shut up and sit down."

Jihyun was fuming at that point. I thought smoke was coming out of her head. She glared at Baekhyun, who didn't seem to give a crap as he sat back down. She then stared at her boyfriend, who did absolutely nothing, except give a loud cough. She huffed as the teacher stepped into the room, and gave her a look.

The teacher began to speak, but I barely paid any attention. I was awed by Baekhyun. I watched him as he attentively listened and jotted down notes into his book. He wasn't afraid to step up for the girl, whom he had never even spoken to. Heck, he had only known of her existence for two weeks, if not less. The way he stood up for her, unafraid, and uncaring of the two perpetrators...it was rather brave of him. I asked him after class why he did what he did. Wasn't he afraid Jihyun and Dongyul would come after him? In a way, going against them was like social suicide.

He didn't even hesitate as he gave a small shrug and said, "It was the right thing to do. Someone had to do it. Why not me?"

Why not me? He's right. Why not? It makes me wonder what would have happened if Baekhyun wasn't there. Would we have just continued to sit there, letting Jihyun harass her until the teacher came in? Would I have had the guts to do the same...? I hated confrontation...

Either way, rather than social suicide, it did the opposite; it boosted his reputation. The incident spread like wildfire across the school and unsurprisingly, Jihyun dumped Dongyul. It didn't faze either one of them much though, because by the this week, Dongyul had his arm around another popular girl, and Jihyun was in the arms of some older guy. I thought they would get back at Baekhyun for the incident, but nothing came.

Now as I mentioned before, Baekhyun received his first love letter today. It was stuck in his locker through one of the slits. I didn't read it (nobody did except him), but Baekhyun said it was a really well written poem. It didn't take much for us to guess that it was Suyeon who gave it to him, even though the letter was anonymous. I now frequently spot her peeking at him from behind poetry books. She smiles at him and waves hi. He politely returns a little smile and half wave, every time. But I know he has no interest. Or at least I believe so. He simply tucked the letter back into his locker and never mentioned it again.

Besides the love letter, Baekhyun has been receiving quite a bit of attention...resulting in our group also receiving more attention. There had already been a bit of buzz from the lower years due to Jongin and Sehun, but now, there is a buzz in all the years. When I told the others what had happened, they all seemed pleasantly surprised, while Baekhyun just said "it's not a big deal". But that only made us admire him even more. I'm proud of Baekhyun, and my respect for him now is through the roof, but I also selfishly wish he didn't receive so much attention.

Not because I'm jealous of the attention he's receiving, but because I want him to stay with us. I don't want him to make a ton of new friends. It's selfish, I know, but I don't want him to drift off with some other group of people...or some girl...

 

 

 

*Ddungddunghaeyo means fat, and ddong means poop. It's a cross of the two words, like a pun meant to be insulting...I'm not too sure if that works in Korean, to be honest XD Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

A/N: The story of Baekhyun standing up for a girl in his class is actually a predebut account of him from middle school. I can't be sure about the degree of its truth, but if it is true, I commend him for that.
I did not edit this so excuse me for any grammar mistakes or weird phrasing. I'm fairly busy this week with internship aptitude tests and a cost accounting quiz. Next update will probably not come until the weekend. Hello to all new subscribers, and thanks for reading!