Bonus Six - Decisions

The Many Sides of Byun Baekhyun

And thus began a period of avoidance that seemingly had everyone in the group confused except the two involved themselves. They would’ve not even seen each other had it not been Baekhyun forcing everyone to meet up for practice for the talent show everyday that week. Otherwise, Jongin slunk off to the dance studio more often than not and Kyungsoo seemed to have taken a liking for the library. When Sehun was asked by Joonmyun what was going on with Jongin, he merely shrugged, and Chanyeol’s suspicion grew, thinking back to the night he told Kyungsoo he liked Baekhyun.

 

“Kyungsoo has become a groundhog,” Chanyeol declared as he sunk down onto the bed and swung his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder, “Except that Spring day doesn’t look like it’s coming anytime soon.”

Baekhyun kissed Chanyeol’s cheek before withdrawing from the taller’s arm and pointing to his open books in front of him.

“Homework first, Yeol.”

Chanyeol harrumphed but pulled out his own notebook and began to work. There was silence for a while as the two continued with their schoolwork, before Chanyeol set down his pen and spoke.

“You mentioned before. You saw something between Jongin and Kyungsoo.”

“Yes…” Baekhyun replied slowly.

“What did you see?”

“Didn’t I say you should ask Kyungsoo?”

“I just said before he has become a groundhog. He never surfaces anymore and he barely answers my SMS. I’m almost 100% sure it’s because of Jongin. And vice versa.”

“I don’t think I have the right to say anything,” Baekhyun grimaced, “So let’s just hope it’ll be okay soon.”

 

--

 

“Stop, stop, stop please!” Baekhyun stood up from the piano, interrupting the middle of the song.

Everyone stared as he marched over to Jongin with his arms crossed, looking annoyed. Joonmyun had joined them for the evening as well as a spectator.

“What is with you? As far as I know, you’re permanently living at the dance studio. So why on earth do you keep messing up your own dance? You’re the one who choreographed it!”

“Hey, hey,” Chanyeol said softly, putting his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

Jongin looked away, his eyes meeting Kyungsoo’s for a split second before both of them looked down to the floor. Baekhyun didn’t miss it. He pursed his lips and backed off.

“Okay, you know what? I think we’ll just finish for today,” he glanced at the clock, “It’s 7pm. Just go home. We’ll pick it back up tomorrow.”

The others began to pack up and Baekhyun grabbed onto Jongin’s arm before he walked away.

“Wait. I need to talk to you.”

The two waited around as the others left the room. Kyungsoo had been one of the first to exit, zooming out of there almost immediately after Baekhyun spoke. Chanyeol dawdled around, but Baekhyun whispered quickly for him to wait at the bus stop. As soon as he left, Baekhyun turned to face Jongin who was leaning against a desk.

“What is it?” Jongin asked.

“I don’t know what exactly happened between you and Kyungsoo-”

“What the makes you think this has something to do with him?”

“Doesn’t it?”

“No,” Jongin replied stubbornly, pushing away from the desk now.

“Really.”

“Yes, really,” Jongin scoffed.

“Okay, fine. Let’s say it has nothing to do with him. I know I’m not particularly close with you so I’m not going to tell you what to do-”      

“Good.”

“BUT. You’re interfering with the talent show, so either fix it, or you better do a damn good job pretending everything is fine.”

“Of course that’s what you really give a about. The damn talent show. Don’t worry, I won’t it up for you.”

“I do care about you and Kyungsoo too-”

“I said it has nothing to do with him!” Jongin shouted.

“Fine! Nothing to do with him!” Baekhyun glared back, “I don’t know why the hell you’re complaining then! You’re pissed I try to care, but then you blame me for not giving a and only caring about the talent show! What the hell do you want then?”

“You don’t know .”

“Like you know . You’re such a hypocrite. You’re pissed when people care, you’re pissed when they don’t. Stop acting like you’re a kid. Even five year olds emote better than you. At least they know what they want,” Baekhyun picked up his backpack and stalked out, slamming the door closed behind him.

Jongin was left standing there in the classroom in silence, fists clenched.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo walked along the street on his way home when he came across the playground where he had helped bandage Jongin up. He stopped and hesitated for a second before heading over to the swings, setting down his backpack to the side before sitting down. He swung back and forth slightly, dragging his left foot along the ground as he stared at the sand beneath his feet.

It . Everything . His life probably would’ve been much simpler without the existence of a Kim Jongin. He wished he could have something like Baekhyun and Chanyeol. The two seemed deliriously happy now that they were together. Sure, maybe he didn’t spend as much time with Chanyeol anymore, but that was to be expected. He did wish he could talk to his best friend though. Now, he had to let it all bubble up inside of him and have too many thoughts swirling inside his head that revolved around a certain dancer. Why did Jongin have to be such an ? Why did he tell Jongin he liked him? Why did he even have to know the idiot?

“No. I’m the idiot,” Kyungsoo said to himself quietly, kicking at the sand.

 

--

 

Jongin was still reeling slightly from the argument he had with Baekhyun as he trudged home, hands in the pockets of his puffy black jacket.

 

You’re pissed when people care, you’re pissed when they don’t.

 

Then Kyungsoo’s face surfaced and his words reverberated inside his brain.

 

“You make such an effort to push me away. Everytime I try to be nice, you just…talk back and basically tell me to off.”

 

He scoffed and picked up the pace, glaring as he walked. He came across a familiar park, spotting a familiar figure sitting on the swings, kicking at the sand. Despite himself, he couldn’t help but stop and watch the figure swing back and forth, staring at the ground. Stupid Do Kyungsoo. Ever since that confess-no, confrontation, his face wouldn’t leave his head. He wasn’t even sure how he should act around the elder. So he avoided him as much as possible. He camped out in the dance studio to skip lunch. If it wasn’t for Baekhyun’s insistence for practice everyday this week, he wouldn’t even have to see the wide eyed boy. As if it wasn’t enough inside his head, having those dumb big eyes and dumb face and dumb lips and that cupid’s bow- Jongin groaned and shook his head, hitting himself in the head with a gloved hand.

The other didn’t notice as Jongin struggled internally, almost heading toward the direction of the swings before stopping abruptly and walking briskly away.

“I’m the idiot,” Jongin thought as he swallowed, leaving the swinging figure behind him.

 

--

 

That night, Kyungsoo tossed and turned in his bed, unable to sleep. He stared at the sliver of moonlight coming in through the window.

 

Overnight, Kyungsoo made up his mind.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin skipped out on eating lunch in the cafeteria as usual the next day. Jongin headed to the dance studio as usual.

 

But Kyungsoo didn’t go to the library as usual.

 

He found himself staring at the door to the dance studio, quietly watching Jongin dance alone through the small window. He didn’t know Jongin could see his face in the window, reflected from all the large mirrors lining the walls. But Jongin kept dancing, gritting his teeth as he moved to the music, determined not to waver and get distracted by that face in the window.

But then Kyungsoo opened the door, his own face determined as he shut the door closed behind him. Jongin continued to dance, as if Kyungsoo wasn’t there. The smaller sat down next to the CD player, waiting until the song ended before turning it off without a word. Jongin couldn’t decide what to say, so he simply picked up his towel, pulling his snapback off as he wiped his forehead, feeling wide eyes on him. It should’ve felt awkward, but somehow it didn’t. Somehow, it felt even…comfortable despite the fact he didn’t know what to say. Despite the fact the elder was just sitting there, watching him wiping his sweat away.

Finally, Kyungsoo stood up and walked over to him. Jongin didn’t turn away. He stood there and looked back at him, face blank, towel in hand.

“I’ve decided,” Kyungsoo began, pausing slightly.

Jongin didn’t say anything, merely waiting for the other to speak.

“I’ve decided…I don’t care if you don’t like me. I don’t care if you get pissed that I care. I don’t care if you get pissed that I might actually not care. I don’t even care if you hate me, or avoid me, or pretend I don’t exist. You don’t care so I don’t care. I’m just going to do what I want,” Kyungsoo continued, staring straight into Jongin’s eyes, “I’m going to keep liking you and you can’t do anything about it. You can reject me and ignore me and avoid me. You can be an and swear at me if you’d like. I don’t care. I’m still going to like you.”

Jongin blinked, feeling as if his heart stopped inside his chest. He hadn’t expected that. He didn’t know what he had expected, but it definitely wasn’t that. Kyungsoo stepped closer, but Jongin didn’t move away. He felt as if his feet were cemented to the floor. And even as Kyungsoo moved closer, he didn’t move. And when Kyungsoo’s heart-shaped lips landed on his, all he could feel was the feel of soft lips on his, a loud buzz inside his head and the hammering of his heart. It was over as quickly as it came as the smaller stepped back.

“Don’t think you have control. Because you don’t. Who do you think you are? So maybe you’re an . Apparently I’m attracted to s,” Kyungsoo challenged without even a stammer, “I like you and that’s that.”

He his heel and walked briskly out of the dance studio, shutting the door behind him quietly. He almost collapsed right after. As soon as Kyungsoo turned the corner, he leaned back against the hallway wall, sliding down, trembling slightly. It had taken all he had to do that.

 

He wasn’t the only one trembling.

 

He had left Kim Jongin trembling, glued to the same spot for the next half an hour.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: OK, so the timeline of Jongin and Kyungsoo’s story has caught up to Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s. Next chapter will be the talent show!