Mine.

The Many Sides of Byun Baekhyun

Date:  December 7              

 

We’ll finally be going on our date today! Almost a week after I finally got the guts to ask Baekhyun out and kissed him outside the library, we’re finally going. To be honest I had plenty of free time and would’ve jumped at any day to go out with him, but he’s pretty busy, like I mentioned before.

Last Saturday, I sent him a message on KakaoTalk asking when he’d be free. I almost thought he was backing out because of the list of things he stated he had planned and needed to do. I almost thought they were excuses. He told me then he’d let me know on Monday.

On Monday, I waited patiently all day for him to tell me. We sat through class and recess, but nothing. Not even a mention. I was a bit annoyed by lunch time. I ended up poking around at my food with my fork. Jongin took a bite of his sandwich, and raised an eyebrow.

“What’s wrong with you? You look like someone shoved a stick up your -”

“Don’t be crude,” Kyungsoo interrupted.

“I am crude. Shouldn’t you know by now?”

“I know you well enough.”

“You don’t, or you’d know I’m not changing anytime soon.”

“Nobody said you had to change!”

“Then don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t do!”

“I’m not!”

I glanced up to see the two stare defiantly at each other in the most…unusual way. I couldn’t figure out what it was. There was…tension and frustration…and an emotion I couldn’t touch on. Joonmyun gave a nervous chuckle then, and pat Jongin on the back.

“Hey…chill out guys. It’s no big deal. Let’s eat.”

The two went back to their food without a word. I made a mental note to ask Kyungsoo about it later. Meanwhile, I was still preoccupied with the thoughts of Baekhyun. We had class together before lunch but I knew he wasn’t going to eat with us due to a debate team meeting. I made up my mind to speak with him after school. Our only alone time was really after school at the bus stop. I wasn’t about to throw out my emotions to the public nor in front of our friends (even Kyungsoo…), and I was pretty sure he wasn’t either. I felt clingy and insecure having to ask him out three times, but I also felt like I needed to do this. I didn’t want to lose the chance that I had used so much effort and courage to obtain. It wasn’t easy admitting I had feelings for him. And it was definitely difficult pulling out enough guts to ask him out for a date.

The final bell rang for the end of the school day and everyone quickly grabbed their things and rushed off. I ran to my locker, grabbed my things, and headed over to Baekhyun’s locker. He turned to look at me, notebook in hand but backpack without a trace.

“Where’s your backpack?” I asked.

“I’m not leaving yet. Debate meeting. We didn’t finish at lunch. Sorry, Chanyeol. I can’t go to the bus stop with you today. I’ll see you around, ok?” He gave me a smile and walked off.

What. How was I supposed to ask him then? Did I have to wait another day? What if he had some other meeting tomorrow? And the day after that? And the day after that? I ruffled my hair in frustration and rushed after him. Streams of students were going the opposite direction and getting in my way. It took me a little while to shove past them.

“Baek!” I called out before he turned into a classroom, a little breathless.

He turned around and cocked his head slightly to the left. It was so cute, seeing him look confused.

“Are you okay?”

“Um, hah, ya. I was…uh…wondering…well you told me on KakaoTalk you’d tell me on Monday…you know…when we’re going to…uh…go out?” I scratched my head.

A beautiful smile spread across with his face.

“You ran after me for that?”

“Well…ya…you said you’d confirm today, right?” I was a bit flustered.

He touched my arm then, sending what felt like an electric shock up to my brain.

“I’m really sorry, but there’s a district debate tournament next week so I’m not really sure about my schedule…and we’re supposed to have our talent show practice on Friday, right?”

Without realizing it, I began to pout in disappointment.

“Don’t pout, you little kid! Look, I’ll see if I can clear a day on the weekend. I’m supposed to do something with my brother and get some studying done, but I’ll try, ok? So please forgive me?”

I regained my composure, feeling a slight heat on my face for acting like an over attached boyfriend when we weren’t dating. Hell, we hadn’t even gone on a single date yet. Then again, at this rate, who know when we would even go on a first date if I didn’t say anything? I nodded and returned a tight lipped smile.

“I’m going in. I’m late! I’ll see you tomorrow!”

He laughed then let go of my arm, heading into the classroom. I felt like a warmth left me when he let go, and I watched as the door closed. I looked back down at where he touched my arm.

I’m in way over my head.

So, yesterday was Friday and we had our talent show practice after school. I still hadn’t gotten a confirmation for a weekend date at that point, but knew better than to bug him again. The debate team and the planning for the talent show were taking a toll on him, on top of his job at the library and school stuff. He looked pretty tired and out of it all week. I didn’t know what else to do other than to not hassle him. I didn’t have class with him this morning, so I went in earlier and left him a carton of milk that morning with a sticky note on it.

Baekhyun~ Don’t stress! Happy virus shot!!!!! Smile! :)

He appeared in front of me when the bell for recess rang and pulled me into an empty classroom before Kyungsoo came over to find me.

“Hey,” he smiled.

“Hey.”

“Thanks a lot for the milk. That was really nice of you.”

“No problem. You seemed pretty stressed this week.”

“I don’t think anyone outside of my family has ever done something like this for me before.”

“Haha, you’re making me embarrassed!”

“So about that date…”

“Yes?”

“I cleared my Saturday. We can go out on Saturday.”

“Really? For real?” I was ecstatic.

He nodded, and I couldn’t help but let out a whoop in happiness.

“It’s funny seeing you act like a kid.”

“A happy one,” I grinned at him.

“What are we going to do?”

I stopped then. For someone who had been anxious for a date for the entire week, I sure was stupid. I hadn’t planned at all.

“Oh uh…it’ll be a surprise. You’ll see. I’ll…I’ll SMS you the details later tonight!”

After the practice after school I needed to hound Kyungsoo. I would’ve asked my sisters for advice, but then they’d be prying and questioning me and I did NOT want that.

Anyway, thanks to Baek, everything’s actually coming together really well for the show. We had decided to perform Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning”, with Baekhyun on keyboard and back vocals, me on guitar, Kyungsoo as main vocalist, and Jongin and Sehun dancing. Jongin and Sehun had actually been practicing a lot outside of our practices since Jongin decided to choreograph the performance himself. I was surprised he put so much effort into it, despite the fact he loved dancing. I mentioned it to Sehun and he shrugged.

“He said he wanted to get his mind off things. He’s usually practicing or cleaning up the choreo after school nowadays.”

Hm. More suspicious behavior. Since when did Jongin have things that bug him? The kid always seems like he has it all. I probably needed to bug Kyungsoo about that too, after solving my problems. I had to sacrifice my alone time with Baekhyun at the bus stop, but since I was seeing him tomorrow, it was OK. I nabbed Kyungsoo before he walked off to head home.

“Aren’t you heading home with your lover boy?” He chuckled.

“Whaaaaat I wanted to talk to my best friend!”

“Uh huh. Spill it. What do you want? What did you do this time?”

“Hey, can’t I talk to my best friend without getting suspected of misdeeds?”

“That’s exactly why I know you need something. Because you’re my best friend. You’re noticeably happier today. Same with Baekhyun. What happened…did you guys make out in some empty classroom or something?”

“I wish,” I muttered under my breath.

“What?”

“Nothing,” I said quickly, “But I’m going on my date with Baek tomorrow. And I need ideas!”

“Wow, you guys are finally going? And I thought you would’ve planned this out from beginning to end already given your obsession with him-”

“I’m not obsessed with him!”

“Yes, you are. I don’t think you quite realize how many times the past week you’ve complained about the lack of interaction you’ve had with him, and the fact you still didn’t have a response from Baekhyun.”

“It wasn’t that much…”

“OH really? Do you want evidence? Because I’ve got evidence. KakaoTalk, SMS…I can show you all your messages. I could show him all your messages too-”

“OK Do Kyungsoo, I get it! Can you please just help me?”

“Honestly I’m pretty sure you guys will have a good time regardless of what you do. Especially you because you’ve been waiting for this.”

“The point is for HIM to have a good time, so then there can be a second time, third time, fourth time...”

“Well then, what do you think he’d enjoy? You know him best, after all. I can suggest restaurant but that’s about it. I have less experience in this than you, remember?”

“I was thinking…maybe something relaxing? He’s been pretty stressed all week…”

“Maybe something to do with music? That’s something you both really enjoy.”

“Go on…”

“There’s a band that plays on Saturdays at this café I really like. The music is great, the coffee is delectable, and the pastries are fresh…the honey bread is to die for-”

“Okay, that sounds good for the afternoon. What about evening?”

“How long do you exactly want this date to last…”

“All day,” I said confidently.

“I thought you said you wanted this to be relaxing, Chanyeol. Isn’t it a bit too much considering you said he has been stressed and tired all week?”

“True…I guess I’ll just see how it goes from there. Send me the address?”

“Sure. Now, can I go home? I’m tired. This week has been tiring for me too.”

“Oh ya, thanks a lot. I’ll let you know how it goes!”

“Alright. Good luck,” he waved and started walking home.

I was halfway home when I remembered I should’ve asked him about him and Jongin. Stupid me. I couldn’t shake the feeling something had happened between them. I had been neglecting Soo’s feelings lately. I made yet another mental note to speak to him the next time I saw him. But for the time being, I had to prep myself. Figure out what to wear. Should I pay tomorrow? Or would he? Guys usually paid for girls…but we’re both guys. I figured I’d try to pay tomorrow regardless.

I figured out what to do in case the date does well enough to last into the evening. But I’ll keep that a secret for now…

So now it’s approximately 11:00 am. I see Baekhyun in two hours. I have my clothes picked out and will be styling my hair soon…wish me luck!

 

--

 

I’m back! And I’m super happy. I just got home about half an hour ago. I have to thank Kyungsoo for the café idea. Because an unplanned encounter led to an amazing day, and a perfect result.

I met Baekhyun as planned at 2PM. I actually got so nervous that I’d be late, I showed up at 1:30PM…funny enough, as I walked down the street toward the café, I saw Baek coming from the opposite direction.

“You’re early!” I exclaimed.

“So are you!”

“I guess we both didn’t want to be late.”

“So then we’re both early…well…do you want to go inside?”

“Ya. Let’s go.”

We stepped inside and sat down at one of the tables. There was a slight open space where I suppose the band would play. The waitress shuffled over and gave us menus with a smile.

“Did you eat lunch yet?” I asked.

“Just a bit of kimbap. You?”

“I ate a bit also. We could get dessert and pastries to fill us up. Kyungsoo recommended the honey bread here.”

“So it’s was Kyungsoo who gave this café as an idea to you?” He mused.

“No! Well…he recommended it…he knows food places better than I do. You can say he’s something of a food critic.”

We ended up ordering lattes, waffles, and honey bread. I’m not a huge dessert person but I was pretty hungry, so everything tasted amazing. Also probably the company I had also made it better. It was nice. The band hadn’t arrived yet, so we just talked and ate. It was comfortable, and there was no pressure. The band showed up around 2:30 and began setting up. Meanwhile, Baek and I exchanged laughter…until the waitress came back around while he was in the washroom. She was pretty, with a nice smile and her long hair tied up in a bun.

“Hi,” she smiled at me.

“Oh, hi.”

“Um…do you mind telling me your friend’s name?”

“…why?”

“Could you give him this for me?” She held out a napkin.

I took it slowly and opened it. On it, in neat writing, was a girl’s name and a phone number…presumably hers.

“Is this…?”

“I think your friend is really cute…could you let him know, please?”

I huffed then, rather annoyed with the girl. I felt jealousy bubbling up in the pit of my stomach. No way.

“I think you should give it yourself,” I replied coldly, sliding the napkin back toward her and picking up my latte.

I looked away from her and I could a shocked expression on her face from the corner of my eye. She took it after glaring at me and walked back to the cash register. I smirked and mentally patted myself on the back. Baekhyun returned without suspecting a thing, and I made no mention of the event as the band began to play. The rest of the afternoon was not too eventful. We enjoyed each other’s company, sipped on our lattes, and jammed to the music. I glanced down at my watch as I finished my third cup of coffee. 6:30PM.

“We actually spent five hours here,” I chuckled.

“Oh, really? Wow. It didn’t feel like it at all.”

“Well, good food, good music, and good company. Actually um…are you hungry? Do you want to go eat supper? Or maybe walk around?” I asked hopefully, “But you can go home too I guess…”

“Let’s go. Let’s walk around.”

I beamed and headed over to the counter with him to pay. I watched as the girl kept her eye on Baekhyun. I saw that napkin in her hand. He seemed unaware and pulled out his wallet. She looked like she was about to speak with him. How about no.

I reached out and stopped him from pulling out money from his wallet.

“I’ll pay.”

“What? No, you don’t need to.”

“I know I don’t need to, but I want to.”

“I can pay too, you know?”

“I’m the one who asked you out. Just let me today, okay?” I emphasized this in particular.

Baekhyun opened his mouth and closed it without a word, a slight tint of pink appearing on his cheeks. He nodded, putting his wallet away as I turned to the waitress with a straight face. I wanted to laugh, seeing the look of surprise and what I believed to be embarrassment on her face. I handed her the money and took hold of Baekhyun’s wrist, walking out with him trailing behind. We walked in silence as I led him to a nearby park. After a couple of minutes, he gently pulled his wrist away. I stopped and turned to look at him.

“What was that about?” He asked, looking amused.

“What was what?”

“You just publicly stated you asked me out. And dragged me down the street holding onto me.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“I’m surprised, I guess. I thought you were insecure with…liking guys. That you didn’t want people to know,” he crossed his arms.

“I…well nobody there knew us. And that waitress…that girl was interested in you.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“Are you sure it’s not you? I thought she kept staring at you the entire afternoon.”

“That’s because she was glaring at me, not staring. She asked me to give you her number and name on a napkin while you were in the washroom and I told her to give it you herself. She said she thinks you’re really cute. She was staring at you the whole time at the cash. It looked like she was actually going to give it to you.”

“Why didn’t you let her? That’s why you paid?”

“No! I was going to pay all along. But I guess I wouldn’t have said we were on a date otherwise,” I admitted.

“You’re scared that I’d accept and call her?” He laughed.

“No! Well, maybe…ah…I…I don’t know!” I spluttered, “Yes I guess! She’s pretty! She could steal you away from me!”

“She can’t steal something that doesn’t belong to you, no? Who said I’m yours?”

I stopped. . That was true. We weren’t technically actually a couple. Would he be freaked out by my paranoid behaviour? I wasn’t going overboard, was I?

He took a step closer to me.

“Who said, I’m, yours?” He repeated.

“Nobody…” I murmured, staring down at my feet.

He took another step closer.

“Do I belong to you?” He asked quietly, “Do you belong to me?”

I looked up and found him face to face with me. I gulped as I looked back into his eyes, a dark but warm brown with a sparkle in it. My eyes travelled from his eyes to his eyelashes, then down the bridge of his nose…to his inviting pink lips. I my lips and saw his eyes direct their attention to my lips. it.

I leaned in until my lips were barely touching his.

“Yes,” I breathed softly before pressing into his lips.

We were kissing again. Something I feel like I’d probably never get enough of. Our lips just molded together like they were made to be against one another’s. At that moment in time, I wouldn’t have even cared if one of our friends popped out from nowhere to witness this. Our lips moved softly and slowly, just savouring the feeling of one another. I tried to pour in my unspoken words, to show what I felt for him, and how he was slowly making me irrational. I think he got it, because he kissed back harder then.

We giggled as we pulled apart. We were in the middle of a path, and decided to get out of the way. I slipped my hand into his and led him off the path and onto the grass. We sat down under a tree in silence, and found one another’s lips again. My hand ended up in his soft hair, and my other around his waist. We caught our breath eventually, smiles on our faces. I secretly thanked the waitress in my head.

We forgot about walking around. We forgot about the time. Instead, we just sat in the grass under that tree, our sides touching and hands intertwined, watching as the sun slowly traded places with the moon.

 

 

a/n: Hi everyone. I’m reaaaally sorry I haven’t updated for so long. Hopefully this longer than usual chapter makes up for it! Unedited…sorry!

I just want to note that there is some foreshadowing with regards to Jongin and Kyungsoo’s story in the chapters. The bonus chapters are chronologically behind compared to the foreshadowing and hints I have in the regular chapters, so they give you a bit of an idea of what might happen. Next chapter will be another bonus chapter.