Anxious

The Many Sides of Byun Baekhyun

Date:  August 29                   

 

There's a new boy today.

A seemingly timid boy that moved from Bucheon to Seoul, named Byun Baekhyun.

He entered the classroom this morning with the teacher, looking rather nervous. He's on the short side, and looks sort of frail. His wavy dyed reddish brown hair contrasts and emphasizes his pale skin. He's a pretty boy. By the tittering in the class from some of the girls, I can tell he will be receiving some love letters soon.

Lucky. I'm tall and awkward, and have a voice that changed too fast. Kyungsoo is jealous of me, and constantly states he wishes he had the same height and deep voice instead of being short with an occasionally cracking voice, but I don't know. Sometimes I don't even know what to do with my long arms and legs; they might as well be spaghetti and flop around while I trip around and crash into things. I have so many bruises I can't even count them all.

I was assigned to be his buddy. The only empty seat remaining in the classroom was directly to my left. I was ok with that. I liked to make new friends, and I figured having him as a friend would give me some positive attention from the opposite .

At the beginning of recess, he seemed sort of tense, paying careful attention to everything around him. He explained that he had never moved before, much less smack dab in the middle of the school year, but he was happy to be in Seoul. It just made him a bit anxious to be in a new environment. He blinked a lot and I noticed his tendency to and bite his lips. He kept reapplying lip balm because of his drying lips, so I could almost always smell its peppermint scent. A nervous habit, to be sure, because it occurred less as the day carried on.

I tried to be less awkward, and be as helpful and welcoming as possible, but then Kyungsoo came up to me and whispered "your eyes are bugging out again, and you have a giant smile on your face, so you sort of look really creepy." Thanks Kyungsoo. I can always count on you to help my self-esteem deflate. But he's one to talk. He has large eyes that widen and often give him a deer-in-the-headlights look. That's how we attract all the ladies, obviously.

I didn't hesitate to let Baekhyun know about Kyungsoo's signature look after introducing them to one another. He began to laugh and loosened up a bit as I informed him about various important locations in the school. He smiled more and became more responsive. That made me happy. I like to make people laugh and sometimes get detention for "disruptive behaviour". More often than not, it was probably not worth it, but I was happy to have made him laugh. He has a nice laugh. A nice smile, too.

We compared class schedules and we came to realize that all of our classes were the same, except gym and history. So we spent most of the day together. During lunch, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and I sat together along with three other friends. Joonmyun, Sehun, and Jongin. Joonmyun, as usual, only hung around for a while before heading off to spend time with friends of his year, while Sehun and Jongin stuck around. The two younger guys have become fairly popular in their year due to their (according to them) "dashing good looks and amazing personalities", but choose to stick around us, claiming that people in their year acted "kiddy and stupid". Ironic, as they are the two most immature people I know. Regardless, Baekhyun seemed to get along with them pretty well.

We played a casual soccer match on the field after eating. He was pretty quick and sneaky, so he got in two shots past me while my arms and legs wobbled around. I don't know why Kyungsoo insists on making me goalkeeper even though I'm clearly horrible at it. Jongin just laughed his off and gave Baekhyun a high five while Sehun sat out on the sidelines and lazed around. After the game, sure enough, my premonitions came true.

A small group of girls that had been watching Sehun and Jongin (I assume they were from their year) approached Baekhyun as he drank from his bottle of water. I'm not sure what they said to him, as I was just coming in from the net, but he looked sort of surprised. I saw him his lips a couple of times, scratch his head, and give a nervous chuckle before giving a small bow and walking toward the other three guys. When I got to them, the school bell rang, and we headed inside for class.

After school, we walked to the bus stops together. He lives about 15 minutes away from me, but takes a different bus. While we waited for our respective buses, I got nosy and asked him about the girls. He explained that they had asked him his name. The conversation had consisted mostly of them giggling, with a dash of flirting from the girls' end. He confessed he wasn't used to the sudden attention. He was quite surprised that the girls approached him, as he had never been popular in this way at his old school. It turned out his older brother decided to help him out and change his image a bit. He used to have straight black hair and wore glasses. He kept blinking all day because he wasn't used to his contact lenses. I tried to comfort him by pointing out my own awkwardness. I had creeped out a lot of people when I first got contact lenses and constantly blinked. It was apparently even worse because of my "creepy smile". I even let him know about my love for ferrets in elementary school, and how I was part of a ferret loving club in sixth grade...and I always try to keep that hush hush. He didn't believe me at first and gave me a look of skepticism, so I proved it to him...by pulling out a certain photo from my wallet.

He tried to keep in his laughter and seemed thankful that I shared this with him. I was sort of embarassed, but seeing his mouth behind his hands in an attempt to muffle his laugh, I figured it was alright. "See how this chubby ferret loving kid became this tall handsome devil?" I asked him, trying to cover up my own embarrassment. He just burst out laughing then. I made him promise he wouldn't spread that around (to which he agreed). He looked sort of conflicted for a bit afterward, and I thought that meant he had difficulties keeping secrets, but then he blurted out that he had been pretty crazy at his old school. Unfortunately, before he could continue with his story, his bus arrived. We traded phone numbers right before he got on his bus to head home.

I'm awful curious about his story. I seem to have an inexplainable interest in him. I find myself asking him a lot of questions. More than I usually do with people I just meet. It just feels very comfortable with him, to the point that I didn't even mind letting him know about my ferrety past.

I think we're going to be good friends.

 

 

A/N: If there are any particular sides of Baekhyun you would like to see, feel free to drop a comment down below.
Also. Crying over Baekyeol's new hairstyles. Already knew Chanyeol's was bad but poor Baekhyun too...