Persuading

Bitter Smiles
“Pew pew,” Aron stayed to the side as he played on his phone. “Shoot! Shoot!” 
 
“Aron…” Hye Mi looked around and ducked to hide in embarrassment. They were sitting on the bus and Aron was making so much noises that people were giving them weird looks. 
 
“Relax Mimi,” Aron spoke with his eyes glued to his phone, completely drawn into the new game he just downloaded. “It’s not like we know anyone, who cares what they think of us.” 
 
Hye Mi groaned and sank further into her chair. She pulled out her iPod and plugged in her earphones, hoping that it’d make people think she didn’t know Aron. 
 
After a few agonizing stops, the bus came to a familiar stop and Hye Mi pulled Aron out. They walked into the café and after greeting Mrs Shin, the two split up and started working. 
 
Five minutes before their shift ended, Kris arrived at the café and sat down to wait for Hye Mi. Aron cheekily stole Hye Mi’s phone and texted Kris.
 
To: Dr. Kris ^^
Oppa, I’m in the kitchen making drinks, give me a few minutes okay????? Xoxoxoxo muwah muwah
 
Kris felt his phone vibrate and pulled it out. He read the message and couldn’t help but ponder at the text. Did she just call me oppa? A warm feeling filled his heart and he blinked cluelessly. 
 
Aron snickered at the whipped doctor’s expression.  He typed another message and attached some photos.
 
To: Dr. Kris ^^
Oppa, aren’t I cute?
Attached: 2 photos
 
Kris downloaded the pictures and frowned when they were pictures of Hye Mi sleeping on the couch with her hair messy and arms sprawled all over the place. was slightly open and she looked like a dead girl. He didn’t understand why she would send him such pictures, it wasn’t like her to send him such hideous (but he’s got to admit, cute) pictures of herself. Unless, the person on the phone wasn’t her...
 
“ARON KWAK!!!!” A voice screeched. And Kris knew his assumption was correct. 
 
Hye Mi gripped onto Aron’s hair and pulled it in different directions. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY PHONE?!” She shrieked. With one hand still on his hair, she snatched her phone from him and checked. Her eyes widened when she saw what Aron sent. “HOW DARE YOU SEND KRIS THAT PICTURE!!” 
 
“Too late, already did,” Aron grinned and tried to pry her fingers off his hair. “Now hands off woman, I have drinks to deliver.” 
 
Hye Mi huffed, put her phone away and gripped onto his hair with both hands. “The only person that has to deliver anything is the postman delivering you back to California!!!” Aron swore he could hear his hair falling out. “Oh my gosh, what will Kris think of the photos!?” Hye Mi gasped.
 
“Well, he sorta frowned, but I’m pretty sure he still thinks you look cute,” Aron explained. 
 
“And how would you know that?” Hye Mi sneered.
 
“Because I saw?” Aron squeaked, he was starting to feel the burn coming from his scalp. 
 
Hye Mi’s eyes rounded. “What do you mean?”
 
Aron rolled his eyes and pointed at the direction Kris was sitting. Hye Mi followed his finger and whimpered when she saw Kris staring right back at her, looking surprised at what she was doing. Her hands immediately let go of Aron’s hair and the poor boy wasted no time to pat his abused hair.
 
Hye Mi swallowed and sauntered over to Kris. “Give me your phone,” she held out her hand.
 
Kris raised his eyebrow in amusement. “What for?”
 
“Just give me!” Hye Mi stomped her foot. She reached out to grab his phone but he held it above his head. “Kris!” she screeched as she jumped, trying to reach for it.
 
“Shortie,” Aron chortled from the counter.
 
She spun around and glared at him. “You shut it!”
 
He stopped laughing, zipped his lips and gave her the okay sign. She watched as he waddled back into the kitchen and huffed. She turned back to Kris, who was now on his phone. “Wow, you sleep like a mess,” he mused. 
 
Hye Mi’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment and she covered her face. Kris broke into a smile at her action and grabbed her hands, pulling them away from her face. She pursed her lips and looked up at him. “Please delete it,” she begged. 
 
Kris pretended to think for a moment. “I’ll think about it.” He grinned and grabbed her hand. “Now come on, I booked a table at the dukbokki restaurant you were interested in.” 
 
At the word ‘dukbokki’, Hye Mi’s eyes sparkled. “Really?! Oh my gosh how did you know?” 
 
Kris smiled and tapped her nose. “Well someone did leave six tabs of the same restaurant open on my laptop…” he teased.
 
“Oh…” Hye Mi flushed in embarrassment. She was touched at how thoughtful he was. “Well this is nice of you.” 
 
Kris grinned, he grabbed her hand and led her out the café. After dinner, Kris and Hye Mi stopped by at an ice cream parlour for dessert before heading home. Kris stopped in front of Hye Mi’s apartment building. She grinned, bid him goodbye, and hopped off after kissing his cheek real quick. Kris touched his cheek as he watched her sprint into the building, he chuckled at her sweetness and drove off. 
 
"Aron! I bought some dukbokki for you so you better regret what you did to me this evening!" Hye Mi shouted loudly as she entered her house. But unlike usual, she heard no response from him. A bad feeling rose in her chest and she slowly made her way into her room. 
 
"Mhm, I'm landing tomorrow at around 10pm," she heard Aron's quiet voice spoke. 
 
She opened the door and saw Aron folding clothes into his suitcase. He heard her and turned around. "Mum I'm going to go now. See you tomorrow." He hung up and sighed. "I'm sorry," he said.
 
Hye Mi forced a smile and shook her head. "It's okay," she approached him. "What happened?"
 
Aron placed a t-shirt into his suitcase and sat down on the bed. Hye Mi sat down next to him. "It's my dad..."
 
Hye Mi's face immediately shifted to a concern expression. "Appa? Is he okay?"
 
"He... got into a car accident," Aron started sweating. Hye Mi knew it was what happened whenever he was nervous. "The doctor said he might make it... but he might not... it depends on his will..."
 
Hye Mi softened. "Oh my gosh I am so sorry, Aron."
 
He forced her a smile. "No it's alright, I should be sorry. I promised to stay here with you, but it hasn't even been six months yet and I'm already leaving."
 
Hye Mi wrapped her arms around him and shook her head. "No, it's not your fault. Six months is alot, and as much as I said I hated you you still kept me company. I'm really thankful that you're even my friend."
 
Aron chuckled. "Idiot, of course I'm your friend."
 
"So when are you leaving?" Hye Mi gingerly asked.
 
Aron bit his lip. "Tomorrow morning."
 
-----------------------------------------
 
The next morning, Kris and Hye Mi drove Aron to the airport. They stood in front of boarding gate. 
 
"Thanks for the ride, Kris," Aron grinned. 
 
Kris smiled and shook his head. "It's alright."
 
Hye Mi pouted and rubbed her swollen eyes. Yesterday, Aron and she had spent the whole night watching their favourite disney movies for the last time. They were sleepy, but knew that if they didn't do it there wouldn't be another chance, ever.
 
The two males turned around and softened at the girl. "Hye Mi," Kris called. Hye Mi looked up and walked over to him. 
 
"Wow, you look like a mess," Aron chortled. 
 
"Shut it," Hye Mi snapped crankily.
 
Aron laughed and pulled her into a tight hug. Kris stiffened on instinct but relaxed when he thought about the situation. He took a step back to give the two some last minute space.
 
"Be safe okay?" Aron insisted. 
 
"You too," Hye Mi nodded. 
 
"Remember to call me every week, actually no every day," Aron demanded.
 
Hye Mi chuckled. "Okay."
 
They broke away and Aron squashed Hye Mi's face between his palms. "I'm worried about leaving you alone, but I know that you're safe with Kris."
 
Hye Mi shyly smiled at the name of her boyfriend. Aron rolled his eyes. "Okay okay now don't go all mushy on me, you guys can do that when I'm not around."
 
"Will you come back?" Hye Mi warily asked. 
 
Aron paused for a second. He would. But he didn't know when. Or if there was even a chance for him to return if she... He shook the thoughts away and nodded cheerfully. "Yup, I'll be back on your wedding day. So wait for me!"
 
Hye Mi and Kris' cheeks grew hot at the word wedding, but deep inside they knew that it was easier said than done.
 
After the long parting, Aron turned to Kris. "Hye Mi, can you please go to the vending machine and buy me a bottle of water? I don't drink water from the plane, it makes me feel lightheaded." Kris opened to volunteer but Aron cut him off. "And I need to say goodbye to Kris too."
 
Hye Mi rolled her eyes. "Last day and he's still demanding," she muttered and walked off.
 
When he was sure that she was out of their range, Aron turned to Kris. The two awkwardly looked at each other before coughing away. "So... I guess I leave Hye Mi to you then."
 
Kris nodded.
 
"Treat her well okay? She might act strong but trust me she's as weak as a chopstick. You better not hurt her or else..." Aron warned.
 
Kris smiled and nodded again. "Don't worry, if I ever hurt her I'll hurt myself tens time harder."
 
"Yeah that's right, you better." Aron gave him a hard look but quickly changed into a softer one. "But really, please keep her safe."
 
"I'll protect her," Kris vowed.
 
Aron grinned and held out his hand. "I know you will, I'm glad she has a doctor like you."
 
Kris shook his hand. "Have a safe flight back. Don't forget to call Hye Mi once you've landed or she'll freak out."
 
Aron nodded. He looked around for any signs of Hye Mi and then continued. "But the reason I sent Hye Mi away isn't just this." Confusion crossed Kris' face. "I need you to do me a favour," Aron explained. "It was the reason why I came back to Korea, but I didn't succeed." Kris nodded warily. "I need you to convince her to have the surgery."
 
Kris bit his lip. He remembered the last time they had a discussion about the surgery. It almost ended up in a fight. "But she's already refused me once-"
 
"I know I know," Aron heaved a sigh. "But you're the only one that she will listen to. I've asked her father, and he said that she even refused to listen to them."
 
Kris stayed silent. As a doctor he had to respect his patient's decisions, but as a boyfriend he had to make sure she did what was best for her. "Alright, I'll try," he promised.
 
Aron nodded and smiled. "Thanks. I believe in you."
 
A few seconds later, Hye Mi returned. "Here." She shoved the bottle of water into Aron's chest. "Drink it well. It's the last Korean water you'll ever have."
 
Aron snorted and took the bottle. They bid goodbye for the last time and he walked into the glass windows.
 
Kris and Hye Mi left the airport. Since Kris didn't have work until evening, they decided to have lunch at his place. He entered the security code and they walked in. 
 
"I'm going to go change, what do you want to have for lunch?" he asked. 
 
Hye grinned. She pulled out her phone and waved it. "Pizza." 
 
Kris stopped fixing his tie and stared at her with narrowed eyes. She gave him a meek smile. He sighed and nodded. "Fine." 
 
"Asa!" She started dialling the nearest pizza shop. Kris shook his head and headed into his room to change.
 
Around thirty minutes later, the pizza arrived. Hye Mi placed the large pizza in the middle of the coffee table in the living room while Kris prepared a movie they were going to watch. Hye Mi poured coke into some cups and put the bottle in the fridge. Soon, they started eating as the movie played.
 
Suddenly, the two main characters started making out. Kris swallowed dryly and started drinking his coke. Hye Mi felt her cheeks burning and bit onto her pizza awkwardly. Neither of them knew where to look. They didn't want to look at the screen or each other. 
 
"I'm going to get more coke," Kris announced and stood up.
 
Hye Mi took the cup from him and pushed him back down. "No no! I will..." She gripped onto the cup and headed towards the kitchen. Out of nowhere, her head started pounding, she was about to stop walking when suddenly she lost control of her legs and fell onto the floor. The cup slipped out of her fingers and shattered into pieces. 
 
Kris heard the commotion and immediately stood up. "Hye Mi?" He hurried into the kitchen and found Hye Mi staring numbly at her legs. He rushed to her side and placed his hand on her shoulder. "Hye Mi are you alright? What happened?" 
 
Hye Mi looked up at him with an unreadable expression. Her eyes drifted back to her legs and she blinked. What did happen? One minute she was fine and the next minute it was as though her legs weren't attached to her body anymore. "I-I don't know," she murmured. 
 
Kris nervously bit the inside of his cheeks. "Can you stand up?" he asked. 
 
Hye Mi nervously gulped. "I don't know." 
 
"Try," Kris urged. 
 
Slowly, Hye Mi stood up. For some reason her balance went off and she tumbled backwards. Kris caught her with a surprised expression. Carefully, he lifted her up and placed her on the top of the kitchen table. "Wait here," he instructed and walked off. He came back with a dustpan and started sweeping up the broken glass. 
 
Hye Mi watched with guilt. "I'm sorry," she apologised.
 
Kris stayed silent. He knew. He knew that she had lost her balance because of it. Time was running out. She had to get her surgery. "There's still a chance for you to choose," he spoke softly.
 
Hye Mi blinked in confusion. "What?"
 
"The surgery," he explained. 
 
"No." Hye Mi responded in a heart beat.
 
Kris sighed and stood up. "Why not?" 
 
Hye Mi stayed silent. Kris threw the pieces of glass into the bin, put the dustpan and broom away, and came close to her. "Hye Mi, there's still over fifty percent that you will survive the surger-"
 
"I know," Hye Mi cut him off. Before he could point out another reason she continued. "Kris I need to use the bathroom, please help me down." 
 
Kris sighed in frustration. "Hye Mi-"
 
"Please," Hye Mi repeated. Her eyes were firm and demanding.
 
Kris shut his eyes and exhaled. He carefully picked her up and placed her on the ground. "Be careful," he warned.
 
Hye Mi nodded and walked off. She stepped into the toilet, shut the door and pushed her back against it. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to be selfish, but I want to be with him.
 
Kris sat back down in the living room. His eyes were on the television screen but his mind was far away. He remembered what he had promised Aron and frowned. Why doesn't she want to have it?