Remembering

Bitter Smiles

“Aron stop!” Hye Mi shouted from the top of her lungs. It was 9:30 on a Sunday morning and he was turning the music on full blast. “People are trying to sleep!”

“But it’s such a lovely day!” Aron responded from the living room. Hye Mi could picture his evil snicker as he turned the volume up.

“Yeah its lovely day to sleep in,” she grumbled and used her pillow to cover her ears. “Are you even listening to me!? Turn it off!”

“But its Beautiful Night, don’t you love Beast?”

“I love them but that doesn’t mean I want to listen to them early in the morning!” Hye Mi rebutted his question.

“Come on, wake up!” Aron turned off the music and started banging on her firmly locked door. “I’m bored!”

“Go watch TV or something…” she sighed. It was a day off and she wanted to rest more than anything else.

“I did! For 2 hours!” Aron switched to whining mode. “Please wake up!?”

…..

“Hye Mi did you fall asleep again?” He asked with a huff after hearing no response. “KWON HYE MI!”

“ARON,” she roared and sat up. “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!”

Aron ignored her rage and started singing, “IT’S A BEAUTIFUL NIGHT! WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DUMB TO DO! HEY BABY! I THINK I WANNA-”

“Shut it,” she said as she climbed out of bed.

“IS IT THE LOOK IN YOUR EYES? OR IS IT THIS DANCING JUICE? WHO CARES BABY, I THINK I-” He stopped singing (ahem, shouting) when the door opened.

Hye Mi stood there with her messy hair and half opened eyes. “Are you done?”

It took approximately 7 seconds for him to crack into a grin and pushed her into the bathroom. “Well that took you time to get up. Kaja, clean yourself woman, you look like a widow who just finished mourning for her dead husband.”

Knowing there was no use arguing with him, Hye Mi slammed the bathroom door shut and pulled out her toothbrush, which was happily dangling off a pink hello kitty tooth brush holder. That idiot is going to get it. She thought as she grumpily brushed her teeth.

---

“Hurry up!” Aron whined as he continuously knocked on her bathroom door. “You’re taking forever.”

“Gosh why did I even agree for you to stay here?” Hye Mi grumbled as she opened up the bathroom door. Her purple pyjamas were now in the laundry basket, and she was wearing a cute frilly cream dress.

“Good, let’s go.” Aron grinned as he held up a huge granny basket.

“Go?” Hye Mi asked with slightly raised eyebrows. “Where?”

“P!” The boy grinned and wrapped his free arm around hers. Without listening to her protests, he opened the door with his daddy long legs and out they went.

----

“P? Really?” Hye Mi asked as she leaned against a large tree. “You woke me up so early on a Sunday morning to go on a freaken picnic?”

 Aron grinned as laid out the red checked cloth on the grass and set out all the food he had made earlier. “The weather is nice today that’s why.”

Hye Mi shook her head as she helped him unwrap the sandwiches. “We have the whole day off today, could’ve waited til later.”

He tsked and flicked her forehead, making her wince. “Sunlight before 11am is good for us! Real vitamin D right here.”

“Oh god,” she rolled her eyes. “How considerate of you.” She paused for a second before adding, “Waking up a girl who barely has time to herself because you wanted to go on a picnic.”

Aron blew a raspberry and laid down with his head on her thighs. Hye Mi grunted but wiggled a bit so that both of them were comfortable. “Can’t you just appreciate the fact that I got up at 6 to make you all this food? Stop complaining, babo.” 

A calm smile formed on her lips as she imagined him clumsily trying to cut the cucumbers. She knew her best friend was good at anything but cooking, and yet he had still tried to cook for her. “Thanks,” she whispered gently.

“About time to show some gratitude,” Aron snorted with his eyes closed. “Did everything for you and all you do is complain. Talk about being best friends, tsk.”

Hye Mi chuckled and started playing with his hair. There was something about Aron that she couldn’t get away from, it was a special aura from him that made them more than friends, yet less than lovers. She could never picture them dating, yet she could never picture them apart as well. It’s funny how childhood friendship works. 

Staring at the Han River, images of how they met rushed through her head. She remembered his same cheeky smile and squinty eyes. “You know, it was the Han River that made you talk to me.”

“Hmmm?” Aron opened one eye and stared at her. “Oh yeah I remember. I was such a handsome boy back then… Still am now though.”

 

-Flashback-

“Now everyone, this is the Han River. It is the fourth longest river in Korea and was first sighted by...”

Blah. Blah. Blah. For a single 26 years old. This lady sure talked a lot.

As the students were listening diligently to their teacher, a certain 5 years old girl was busy dreaming the day away. Despite it being her first excursion ever, she couldn’t bring herself to be excited as the rest of her classmates. Can’t blame her though. This wasn’t an excursion to be excited about anyways, who would want to go and listen about the Han River all day? Definitely not her. Kwon Hye Mi.

“Hey look at that freak,” a whisper made the little girl snap out of her sweet and innocent day dream.

Everyone had finished looking at this section of the river, and was now moving to the bridge. No one had even bothered to tell Hye Mi they were leaving.

“What is she doing staring into the sky like that?” Another girl snickered.

“She looks crazy.”

“She is crazy.”

“Look at her hair.”

“Who has plain pigtails anyways? Braids are much prettier.”

Sigh. As her so called ‘classmates’ were busy gossiping about her, Hye Mi closed her eyes to inhale the fresh air of the river. If only they knew how much time braids waste, or how busy her parents were in the morning.

“Why are her eyes closed?”

“Should we push her?”

Before Hye Mi could even respond to that question or open her eyes, a pair of small hands have already reached out and pushed her to the ground. Wearing only a simple floral dress, her elbow grazed against the concrete, causing a painful sting to take place.

“Let’s go before the teachers see! We can just say she tripped on her own!” One of the little girls said before running off with her friend.

Hye Mi watched as they happily ran over to the boys to boast about what they have done. She bit her lip as she tried to stand up but her hurt hand caused her to lose balance and fall back down.

I hate this.

She thought as tears started forming in her small eyes. Everyone was mean to her. She wanted to go back home. It had only been 4 months since she started school and it was already becoming a nightmare.

She was about to attempt to stand up again when suddenly another small figure squatted down in front of her. “Girls look ugly when they cry.”

Oh great. Another bully.

The little 5 years old rolled her eyes as she used her fist to wipe away the tears that were threatening to fall. “What do you want?” She snapped at the boy who was now smiling at her.

Instead of replying, he simply pulled out a Bob the Builder bandaid from his pants pocket and stuck it on her elbow. “Umma always told me to bring bandaids with me, now I know why,” he said as he helped her up.

Hye Mi looked into the little boy’s eyes as he dusted the dirt off her dress. “You shouldn’t have helped me,” she stuttered. “They’re going to hate you now.”

“Psh,” he snorted, “they wouldn’t.”

A small smile formed onto the girl’s lips as she watched this boy’s confidence. “Thanks,” she said with a smile.

“You’re welcome. My name is Aron by the way. I just came from California and I’m new. You wouldn’t mind making another friend would you?” Aron asked with a grin. “And your name is?”

“Hye Mi,” she girl replied excitedly. “Kwon Hye Mi.” She was happy to know that there was something good about school afterall.

-End of Flashback-

 

“HAHAHA and remember how after that you never left my side? It was like you were obsessed with me!” Aron started laughing at the memory of Hye Mi clinging to him.

“Oh be quiet,” the girl rolled her eyes with a smile. “I was 5.”

“You didn’t stop that til you were 7,” he reminded teasingly.

“That’s because I made new friends. Better friends.” She poked out her tongue at him and reached for a kimbap roll.

Aron sat up to let her eat properly and picked up a sandwich for himself. “You only met Jiyeon and Jieun because of me.”

“Yeah totally,” Hye Mi said as she popped another kimbap into . The well combined taste of radish and eggs dissolved in . “You kicked them in the face while playing soccer and then made me take them to the infirmary. Totally thanks to you.”

“Hey at least you guys got along,” he grinned and took a large bite off his sandwich.

Hye Mi nodded slowly as she remembered Jiyeon and Jieun, her first two girl friends. The twins have been with her throughout the whole of primary school but unfortunately had to move to another state before starting middle school. “I miss them,” she whispered.  She had made plenty of new friends during middle and high school but none of them weren’t as good as her first.

“I know, but I’m pretty sure they don’t miss you,” he snickered.

“Whatever,” she scowled. “They probably miss me better than the person that gave them a bruised eye and forehead.”

“I apologized alright? And you’re lying. Jieun liked me.” Aron stated proudly.

Hye Mi chuckled and said, “She was 10, I’m pretty sure it was just puppy love.”

“Oh whatever,” Aron flicked his hand dramatically. He finished off his sandwich and laid back down on lap. “I’m going to take a nap. Enjoy the view and finish off the food alright? Skinny girls these days, no S line at all.” 

Hye Mi frowned at him but nonetheless still moved to make his neck comfortable. “So much for picnic, you just took me here to use me as a pillow. Jerk.”

Aron heard her but didn’t respond, instead he closed his eyes tighter and tried to suppress his forming smile. He didn’t take her here simply for a picnic, he wanted her to relax and enjoy the weather. She had been squashed between doctor appointments and work for so long that he doubts she had ever taken time to enjoy herself. Aron knew Hye Mi loved nature, it was probably her most favourite thing after painting. He knew that nature and painting was the only thing that would get her to relax and forget about all her worries. Even though she was never going to admit it, he knew that the cancer was killing her emotionally and physically.

“I know you’re not sleeping.” Hye Mi suddenly spoke.

“Yes I am.”

“Psh,” she snorted and continued eating.

It was silent after that, but neither of them were uncomfortable. The quietness allowed them to relax and enjoy the nature.

“Hye Mi-ah,” Aron broke the silence after a while.

“Hmmm?” Hye Mi opened her eyes to stare down at him but seeing that his eyes were still closed, she closed hers too.

“Why don’t you want it?” He asked gently, knowing she knew what he meant.

“I just don’t,” she replied.

“There’s a 60% chance it’ll be successful.”

She inhaled the fresh air and then exhaled. “But there’s also a 40% chance it’ll be unsuccessful.”

“Don’t you want to take a risk?” He whispered.

Hye Mi shook her head with a soft smile. “No.”

Despite being curious, Aron decided to keep his mouth shut. He respected her decisions and understood the reason why he doesn’t want her surgery. He just wanted to hear the real reason from . “It’s… your choice. But just know that I’ll be here for you okay?”

Hye Mi smiled brighter than before and she nodded. Thankful for having such a friend. “Gomawo.”

Aron smiled and shook his head. You don’t need to be thankful. I want to be here. He stayed quiet for a little more before opening his eyes to grin at her. “So how’s Doctor Wu?”

Hye Mi opened her eyes and blinked at him, the nature had helped her forget about everything that was on her mind but now the image of Kris’ dazzling smile was back, along with the confusion. “What do you mean?”

Aron smirked and sat up. “You know what I mean.”

“No I don’t,” she said and avoided his eyes. As much as she loved Aron, the boy would never understand her confusion right now.

“You like him don’t you?” Aron asked, grinning. “Hye Mi has a crush on her doctor~”

Hye Mi felt her cheeks heat up as she slapped his shoulder. “No I don’t.”

“You’re blushing~” He sing songed. “Just tell meee, I won’t tell him~”

A moment of hesitation came as Hye Mi decided on whether to tell her best friend or not. She wanted to tell him the truth since he was her best friend for a reason, yet she didn’t because she didn’t want to start any drama.

“I don’t know,” she spoke after a while.

“What?” Aron asked.

“I don’t know,” she repeated and smiled at him.

“Yah, what do you mean you don’t know?” he asked with squinting eyes. “You’re hiding it from me aren’t you?” He started moving closer to her.

“Nope, I really don’t know,” Hye Mi replied mischievously. She had a feeling she knew what he was doing and wiggled further away.

“Are you sure?” he asked again with wiggling eyebrows. Without giving Hye Mi a chance to reply, he grabbed onto her waist and started tickling her. “TELL ME!”

“AHAHAHA! Stop it!” Hye Mi laughed as she ed around. “I really don’t know!”

“Liar!” Aron roared and continued ticking her. Hearing her sincere laugh every now and then made him satisfied.

“Oh my god stop!” Hye Mi replied as she sat up and pushed his hands away. “I need to breathe.”

Aron pouted and grabbed onto her arm. “Just tell meeee!”

“I already did.” She rolled her eyes. “I don’t know!”

“Aish you!” He sighed and grabbed her into another tickling fit. 

 

---------------------------------

A/N: Helloo! Just a small memory lane of Hye Mi and Aron~ Yes, he will not be the second guy of their relationship. Aron's role is her best friend only :)