Staring

Bitter Smiles

The sound of a loud thump made Hye Mi’s eyes shoot open. She realised she had fallen asleep on a little girl’s bed and carefully sat up.

“Oww,” she heard a whimper from the opposite side. A little boy had rolled off his bed and was now on the floor.

Hye Mi immediately stood up and walked over to the boy. “Hey, are you alright?” she asked gently as she helped him up.

The boy, named Minwoo, rubbed his eyes sleepily. “Mhm.”

Hye Mi smiled. She helped him get back onto his bed and tucked him in safely. She realised Kris was no longer in the room and grew worried. Where was he and why didn’t he wake her up? Something inside told her he had left her but she refused to believe it. Slowly, she made her way out of the room. She checked almost every room but couldn’t see Kris anywhere.  Her heart started beating faster as she approached the last room. She opened the door and sighed in relief when she realised there was a tall figure sleeping on the couch. Not wanting to wake him up, she carefully walked over but due to the darkness, her legs messed up and she landed on the floor. Ouch.

Kris’ eyes snapped open when he heard a sound and he immediately straightened up. He blinked a few times to get used to the darkness. When he realised Hye Mi was on the floor, he wasted no time and immediately went towards her. “Hey, are you alright?” he asked, worry etched into his voice.

Hye Mi bit her lip and nodded. “Yeah I’m fine, I just tripped. Did I wake you up?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Kris spoke as he helped her up.

“I… I thought you left me,” Hye Mi admitted and gave him a meek smile.

He cocked his head and stared at her. “Why would I do that?”

“I don’t know,” she pouted. “But why didn’t you wake me up? What time is it?”

Kris checked his phone and sighed. “11:30.”

Hye Mi gasped. “What?!” She realised the children were only a few metres away and covered . “Oh my god I am so sorry for falling asleep.” She didn’t want to be the reason why he doesn’t show up to work tomorrow.

“It’s okay,” he replied gently. “Let’s go now, I asked the nuns before and they told us to just go through the front door.”

“But…” Hye Mi lowered her face. “It’s so dangerous to be driving at night.”

“It’s okay,” Kris squeezed her shoulder. “I’ll manage. Do you have all your things?”

She gripped onto her bag and nodded. Together, they slipped out of the room and walked down the dark corridor. Hye Mi followed and stuck closely behind Kris.

----

Hye Mi stared at the stars and Kris drove through the highway. They weren’t that close to Seoul yet so the stars were still visible. Hye Mi smiled when she spotted star constellations like the Little Dipper. A part of her was wishing to see her Pegasus constellation even though she knew the chances were very slim.

Kris stared at her while he was steering. Even at night she looked pretty. Gosh this girl. He tried his best to focus on the road.

“Kris!” Hye Mi suddenly yelled and pointed to the side of the freeway.

Kris’ eyes rounded when he realised there was a pregnant lady standing there, desperately calling for help. Without hesitation, he drove inwards and stopped in front of her. Hye Mi immediately unbuckled her seatbelt and scrambled out towards the woman, Kris followed.

“Please help me,” the lady begged, she held onto her stomach and Hye Mi helped her stand. “I was on a taxi and as soon as my water broke the driver kicked me off.”

“Who would do such a cruel thing?” Hye Mi gasped. “Kris we need to help her.”

Kris nodded as he studied the woman. “How long has your water broke? Are you having any signs of contractions?”

“About 30 minutes,” the lady replied and cringed. “My contractions are coming and going.”

“We’ll need to get you to the hospital as soon as possible then,” Kris said as he held onto her other side. “Hopefully we’ll get you to the nearest hospital before you fully dilate.” He met eyes with Hye Mi and she gave him a soft smile. Together, they helped the lady into Kris’ car. Hye Mi sat at the back with the lady while Kris sped off to the nearest hospital he could find.

They arrived at the hospital about thirty minutes later and doctors wasted no time to bring the lady into the delivery room. Hye Mi and Kris decided to stay outside and wait just in case anything happens. It was already almost one but neither of them was sleepy.

After two hours, Hye Mi heard the sound of a baby crying and sighed in relief. Kris watched as she tried to peek through the window and chuckled when she stumbled back as the doctors opened the door. “Are you relatives of the patient?” he asked Hye Mi and Kris.

They both shook their heads. “I’m a doctor from Seoul Hospital. I found her on the road into Seoul and decided to drive her here.”

The doctor nodded with a smile. “That’s really nice of you to help her, this is her first child so she was a little scared. Good thing the process was successful, both her and the child are in safe condition. She will be transferred into another room very soon. Would you like to meet her?”

Kris and Hye Mi stared at each other. “Do you want to?” he asked her.

Hye Mi smiled. “Let’s just go see how she’s doing and then leave.” She felt like it would be wrong if they just left after sending the lady to the hospital like that.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Hye Mi asked as she and Kris stepped into the room.

The woman immediately tried to sit up. “Oh thank god you haven’t left yet.”

“Hey hey don’t sit up for us!” Hye Mi laughed and went over to help her.

Kris stood behind and watched carefully as Hye Mi gently placed a pillow behind the woman’s back so that she had something soft to lean on.

“Thank you so much,” the lady grabbed onto Hye Mi’s hands. “If it weren’t for you two, I wouldn’t know what would’ve happened to me.”

Kris smiled at the lady. “It’s okay, at least you and the baby are safe.”

The lady nodded with an even happier smile. “Yes, my baby…”

Hye Mi read what she was thinking and grinned. “Did you have anyone you want to call?”

“Oh yes, I need to call my husband,” the lady sat up again but then stopped. “Oh darn it I left my phone at my cousin’s house.”

“Here, use mine,” Hye Mi pulled out her phone for the lady but halted when she realised her phone was dead, probably due to the excessive amount of calls from Aron.  “Oh, sorry.”

Kris pulled out his almost dying phone as well. “Use mine, it’s about out of batteries but you might as well give it a try.”

The lady took the phone from him and dialled her husband’s number. Just as she heard the first ring, the phone shut down with a beep. Kris frowned and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. “Sorry.” He thought for a moment. “There’s a public phone outside though, how about you give me your husband’s phone number and I’ll give him a call for you?”

The lady nodded and gave Kris her husband’s details, Kris wrote everything on his hand and left.

While he was gone, Hye Mi walked over to the little table to pour the lady a drink.

“How long have you guys been dating?” the lady asked.

Hye Mi’s eyes rounded as she turned to give the lady the cup. “Sorry what?”

“You and that young man,” the lady said with a smile.

“What? No…” Hye Mi blushed awkwardly. “We’re not dating. He’s my doctor.”

“Oh?” the lady tilted her head. She put the cup down and grabbed Hye Mi’s hands. “Silly me, you guys looked so in love.”

“Eh?” Hye Mi blinked.

“You know, a person’s eyes are the window to their soul. The way you and that young man stare at each other tells me that there is something more than the simple doctor-patient relationship.”

Hye Mi swallowed. “He doesn’t like me, I’m sure of it…”

“Then do you like him?” the lady asked. When Hye Mi didn’t respond she smiled and squeezed the girl’s hands. “Silly, if you’ve never asked, then how would you know? Besides, I can tell from the way he stares at you that you mean something to him.”

“What?” Hye Mi whispered. “What do you mean?”

The lady sighed and patted Hye Mi’s hair. “You’re so innocent. The way that man was staring at you, is the way most husbands stare at their wives.”

 

------------------

A/N: Okay I at ending chapters but shush :P