Visiting

Bitter Smiles

“Aron, for the last time, I’ll be fine,” Hye Mi sighed into the phone as she walked into art class. “I’m 23, not 3!”

“But I still feel guilty,” the person on the other end muttered.

Hye Mi could imagine the pout he had on his face right now. “Just go have fun with your friends, you’ve stayed with me for almost 2 months now, yet you haven’t met any of your friends.”

The line was quiet for a while before Hye Mi heard the door closing. “Alright, but text me when you arrive okay? Say hello to Hyunwoo and Hyunjoo for me!”

“Yeah yeah,” Hye Mi nodded and hung up. She put her phone into her floral backpack and stepped into class.

“Morning, Hye Mi!”

Hye Mi smiled at her classmate and waved. “Good morning, Chanyeol.”

The boy gave her a silly smile and walked over. “Wanna sit with me today?”

She chuckled and was about to say yes when she heard a cough from behind. “Ooh, Kris.” Her cheeks flushed just by seeing him.

Kris nodded in greeting as he eyed the tall boy next to her. There was something about the guy’s big grin that irked Kris. “Are you… sitting alone?” he asked Hye Mi.

Hye Mi glanced at Chanyeol and then back at Kris. She didn’t want to be rude to decline Chanyeol’s offer, yet she didn’t want to not sit with Kris. “Umm…”

“If you are, wanna sit with me?” he asked again, only this time his eyes were set clearly on Chanyeol, as if trying to say ‘back off’. Immature or not, he was not letting Hye Mi sit anyone else but him.

Chanyeol, despite his dopey look, seemed to understand what Kris wanted and stepped back coolly. “You can sit with Kris then, I’ll just sit with my other friends,” he grinned.

“Oh,” Hye Mi nodded. “Okay then.” She looked back at Kris and then back to Chanyeol. “Maybe next time, Chanyeol.”

“Arasso~” The baby faced boy sing songed and walked off.

Hye Mi turned back to Kris. “So… where do you want to sit?” she tried her best to look anywhere but into his eyes.

Kris shrugged. “I don’t mind, where do you prefer?”

 “Hmm…” Hye mi tapped her chin. “Let’s sit at the back,” she smiled and walked over, Kris followed.

The two sat in utter awkward silence before Hye Mi decided to bring something up. “Hey… When do you think the reports will come out?”

“Reports?” Kris asked, confused. “What reports?”

She rolled her eyes at his sweet confused look. “My CT scan results! Silly.”

“Oh.” Kris’ shoulders deflated at the thought of those results. “I guess they should be available by tomorrow.”

“Well then see you again tomorrow,” she chuckled and gave him an eye smile.

His lips formed into a smile at her immature yet cute nature. After all the CT scan results that he’s looked at, there was no doubt this on would be the most nerve-wrecking.

----

“I know I usually don’t give you homework, but for today, I want you to go home and find the most inspiring quote by any artist and then share it with the rest next lesson okay?” Miss Kim said as the students packed their bags.

“Deh,” they chorused. She dismissed them and walked out.

Kris picked up his notebook and glanced at Hye Mi. She seemed to be in a rush. “Hey are you going somewhere afterwards?” he couldn’t help but ask.

“Yeah I am,” she replied happily. They pushed in their chairs and walked out of the classroom. “What about you? Are you going anywhere?” Hye Mi asked as they walked down the corridor.

“I guess I’m going to go home, Secretary Hong wasn’t feeling well today and since I had no appointments, the hospital gave me another day off,” Kris replied. He put his hands in his pants pocket and stared ahead.

“Yeah, Secretary Hong told me she’s been feeling unwell ever since yesterday,” Hye Mi commented.

Kris stared at her with a slightly amused look. “You two seem to be close.”

She grinned. “She’s nice.”

He nodded. “And diligent.”

“She would be a good half for Aron,” Hye Mi stated. “They match.”

Kris shook his head. “Didn’t you say Aron and Tao were for each other?” he joked.

She laughed and his heart started beating faster.

“True!” she grinned.

They arrived at the front of the building. “Are you working today? I can give you a lift there.” Kris said.

Hye Mi shook her head. “Nope, ahjumma has to go back to Busan today because her mother-in-law is sick.”

“Then are you going home?” he asked.

“Nope,” she smiled. “I’m going somewhere else today, but since it’s a little far I’ll just bus it there.”

“Oh alright,” Kris nodded. “Guess I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

Hye Mi nodded. “Mhm! Bye bye!” she waved.

Kris smiled and walked off.

Hye Mi stood there and watched him. For some reason, she felt like Kris should come with her. “Wait, Kris!”

Kris stopped walking and turned around. “Yes?”

She ran up to him. “Do you want to come with me?”

----

“HYE MI UNNIE! HYE MI NOONA!” Children of all ages shouted and ran over.

Kris’ eyes widened and he stepped back. He had never seen this many children before.

Hye Mi chuckled and greeted the kids merrily. “Hello, did you guys miss me?” she asked as she patted a little boy’s head.

“Yes~” They chorused.

“Wait,” a little girl got on her toes and looked around. “Where’s Aron oppa?”

“Sorry Hyunjoo, Aron oppa is busy today, but he promises to come next time,” Hye Mi replied and tapped the girl’s nose. Kris softened at how calm she acted around children.

“Are you going to stay with us longer today?” a boy who looked quite similar to Hyunjoo asked as he fixed his little glasses.

“Do you want me too?” Hye Mi asked teasingly.

The children immediately started jumping. “Yes yes yes!”

She chuckled at their sweetness and pinched their cheeks. “Aigoo you guys are so cute. Yes I will be staying here longer than last time.”

“Yay!” they squealed and clapped.

“Hey…” a little girl with incredibly round eyes spotted Kris and peered up at him.

Kris looked down at her and blinked.

“Hye Mi unnie, who is he?” she asked with her eyes still on him.

Hye Mi laughed. “Oh gosh how silly of me. Guys, this is Kris oppa.” She met eyes with Kris and nudged her heads towards the curious children, indicating that he should greet himself.

“Umm…” Kris cleared his throat. “H-hey.”

“Hi~” The children waved, it was scarily synchronising but Kris found it cute.

Hye Mi chuckled at the awkward atmosphere. “Hey, while don’t you guys run in and tell Mother Han that I’m here?”

“Okay!” The children shouted and immediately ran inside the building.

Hye Mi stood up straight and turned to Kris. “Hey, I hope you don’t mind spending your day off at the orphanage.”

Kris shrugged and put his hands in his pocket. “I don’t mind.” He knew he was going to be fine with everything, as long as he was with her.

“Don’t worry,” Hye Mi grinned and patted his shoulder- an action that sent shivers up both of their spines. “The- the children are really nice.”

He nodded, “I can see that.” She smiled at his positivity towards one of her favourite things. Knowing that he wasn’t bothered by the fact that she had made him waste his time at an old orphanage made her happy.

“Hye Mi noona! Kris hyung! Mother Han is here!” The boys shouted.

“Coming!” Hye Mi hollered and ran inside. Kris chuckled at her energy and followed.

Kris and Eun Mi spent the whole day at the orphanage and just like what Hye Mi had said; the children were really nice and included Kris in everything. Kris even helped the nuns cook lunch while Hye Mi helped the children clean up their rooms. Since it was the sunny day, the nuns decided to allow the children to have lunch outside.

While Hye Mi helped the children wash their hands, Kris took out all the food. He placed them along the long table patiently. A small hand reached out and grabbed a piece of fairy bread. Kris followed the hand and found a small boy standing there. The boy blinked at Kris and Kris did the same, only with a slightly raised eyebrow.

“Shh,” the little boy put his finger to his lips and darted off with the sandwich, making Kris chuckle at his cuteness.

“Hey, did you need help?” Hye Mi asked as she came over.

“It’s okay, I’m nearly done,” Kris replied as he placed the last plate of kim bap down.

Hye Mi glanced at the neatly arranged table and chuckled. “You know, you’re really kind to be doing this. The kids are really grateful; they asked if you will ever come again.”

Kris smiled and nodded. “It’s okay. I really enjoyed being here.”

“Hye Mi unnie! Come play with us!” The children shouted from the field.

“Coming~” Hye Mi shouted. She sent Kris one last smile before running off.

Kris stood and watched as she interacted with the kids. She looked so gentle and pure that he wanted to keep her away from all the dark sides of the world. The way she stared at the children as they talked about nonsense made him want to hug her and never let go. Her smile looked so enthralling that Kris would do anything to keep her smiling.

“Kris oppa! Help us catch Hye Mi unnie!” The girls pouted as they ran over and started pulling him. “We can’t let the boys find her first.”

Kris chuckled and nodded. “Okay.”

After the eventful day, night time came and it was time for the children to sleep. Kris helped the boys get into their pyjamas while Hye Mi helped the girls. Since the orphanage wasn’t that big, all the children had to sleep in one large room. There were two rows of beds, one side for the boys and the other for the girls. Kris and Hye Mi helped tuck everyone into bed.

“Will you be here when we wake up?” a little girl asked Kris as he placed the blanket over her.

Kris gave her a soft smile and patted her head. “No, but I promise to come again soon.” The girl pouted but nodded.

“I can’t sleep,” a little girl told Hye Mi as she rubbed her eyes. “Can you sing for us?”

Hye Mi shook her head in shame. “I would love to, but I really can’t sing. I’m sorry Minah.”

Minah pouted and then looked at Kris. “Can Kris oppa sing?”

Kris looked at her and gulped. “Not really…”

“Please?” Minah begged. The other children quickly caught on and started begging as well. Some even started getting out of bed.

Kris looked at Hye Mi desperately, asking her to help him out. She sighed and stood up. “Come on guys, don’t be like this.”

The children frowned. “But Aron hyung sings for us when he comes,” a little boy sulked.

Kris stiffened at the comment.

“Please Kris oppa? We haven’t had anyone sing to us since months,” a little girl called Jieun pleaded while staring at the ground.

Kris softened at her fragility. “Alright, but only one song and you have to be asleep okay?”

Hye Mi’s eyes widened at his words. *He can sing?*

“Yay!” The children clapped excitedly and snuggled back into their beds. Kris coughed awkwardly, he looked at Hye Mi for a brief moment before looking away.

“There’s a piano over there if you want to use it, Kris hyung,” the boys said as they pointed to the piano located near the fireplace. Kris walked over and sat down on the brown stool, his fingers brushed passed the keys. Hye Mi sat down on a little girl’s bed and the girl snuggled closer to her. Kris closed his eyes and started singing. (Click.)

This moment feels like I was born as a child who knew nothing
I closed my eyes again in case it would be a dream
You were standing in front of my desperate self and praying
Just once, I want to walk side by side with you

Taken by the soft wind to your world
You asked me brightly where I came from to your side
And I told you that It was a secret
Wherever we walk together
Will be paradise

You are an eye-blinding entity compared to Michael
Who would remember you, I will not forgive it
Like the beginning when stepping into Eden
Believing you every day from the bottom of my heart

I always want to protect you
So that even the small things won’t tire you out, I’m eternally in love

As your guardian, I will block the stiff wind
Even though people turn their backs to you
If I could become the person
Who can wipe your tears on a tiring day
It will be paradise

I, who has fallen in love with no other place to
Go back, my wings have been taken away (oh no)
Even though I lost my everlasting life, the reason to my happiness
You are my eternity Eternally Love


Hye Mi watched in awe as Kris sang effortlessly beautifully. Her heart fluttered like crazy as she listened to his soothingly calm voice. The way he sang made it seem like he was trying to get a message across, he was singing with so much passion she thought he would’ve been such a successful idol. Slowly, her eyes drooped as she listened to his harmonious voice.

Kris opened his eyes as he stopped playing the piano. Surprisingly, the children had kept their promise and were now all asleep. Quietly, he stood up and walked down the room. He stopped at where Hye Mi was sitting and softened. Hye Mi’s head was leaning against the wall, her eyes were closed and her hands were still on the little girl’s head.

Even in her sleep, Kris could see the calmness on her face. He came up closer to her and squatted down to be at her level. He examined her angelic facial features and gently moved a lose strand of hair away from her face. Hye Mi seemed to have felt his touch as she slightly moved. Kris immediately pulled back his hands but smiled when he realised she was still sleeping. She looked so delicate sleeping that he didn’t want to wake her up.

Slowly, he stood up. He walked out and closed the door as quietly as possible. Smiling, he walked into one of the empty rooms and decided to wait for her to wake up.