Embarrassing

Bitter Smiles

 

“Woah, you have a nice crib.” Aron whistled as soon as he stepped into Hye Mi’s apartment. It was a cosy place with white furniture.

Hye Mi smiled, “Why thank you.” She closed the door and locked it.

Aron looked around for a little while before turning to her with cheeky eyes. “So where’s my bed?”

“There.” Hye Mi pointed at the white sofa in the living room.

He faked a gasp before putting his hands on his hip. “Excuse me? Is this how you treat a guest?”

She rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen, “No guest stays for 3 months.”

“Well I do,” Aron poked out his tongue and ran into her bedroom. As expected, it was neat and tidy. The top of her bed was decorated with different photo frames; there were pictures of her and her parents, her and her friends, her and Mrs Shim… Aron picked up the last photo frame with a small smile; it was a picture of her and him a few years ago, before he left to California. They were both smiling brightly at the camera, she was holding up a peace sign while he had his arm around her shoulder.

“Yah yah! Didn’t anyone tell you to never barge into a girl’s room-” Hye Mi stopped when she realised what he was holding.

Aron turned to her with a big grin. “You used to look cute, what happened?”

“You happened.” She rolled her eyes. She opened her wardrobe and pulled out a warm cardigan.

“Mhm…” Aron chuckled and sat on her double sized bed. “I created a monster.”

“Oh whatever,” Hye Mi made a face. She wore on her cardigan and walked out of her room. “Anyways, stay here for a bit okay? I’m going out for a little while, make yourself at home-” She halted when she saw him bouncing on her bed, “Never mind, you already have.”

“Where are you going?” Aron called out as she wore on her flats. “Are you going to eat without me?!”

“Doctors!” She responded casually.

Aron’s his smile disappeared. For a minute he had forgotten the real reason why he came back from California. “I’m going with you!” He shouted and dashed out of the room.

Hye Mi crossed her arm and stared at him with a raised eyebrow. “No you’re not.”

“Yes I am,” he insisted stubbornly. He didn’t want her to go there alone anymore, not when he’s around now. “No one leaves their guest home alone on the first day.”

“Oh my god,” Hye Mi rolled her eyes with a long sigh. “But I’ll be back in like an hour!” She had a feeling she knew why he wanted to go with her, and felt grateful for having such a friend.

“An hour is sixty minutes, 60 minutes is 3600 seconds… Yeah I’m still coming with you,” He said and walked out of the door before her.

“Stubborn brat,” Hye Mi shook her head with a smile. She locked the door and put the keys away carefully.

“I HEARD THAT!” Aron hollered.

“Of course you did,” she chuckled softly and followed him. It was nice to have some company again.

----------------

“Man Korea is getting fa-bu-lous,” Aron exaggerated as they stood in front of Seoul Hospital. “Everything is getting finer and finer. Maybe I should ditch California and stay here forever.”

“Please don’t,” Hye Mi joked. “You’ll turn this poor country into world war three.”

He shot her a look and snorted. “Rude.”

She stuck out her tongue and dragged him inside. “You definitely need to meet Kris; I think yous would be a cute couple! Though he already has someone… Hm…”

“Excuse me?!” Aron let out a high pitched screech, “Are you implying that I’m gay?!”

“Well you certainly act like it,” Hye Mi chuckled and turned down the hallway. “You sound like it too.”

He shot her a glare before glancing at the girl sitting on the counter. A twinkling smile came onto his lips and he turned to Hye Mi bravely. “I’ll prove to you that I’m not gay.”

“Please don’t embarrass yourself,” she teased.

“Psh, I’ll make that girl fall for me in 1 minute,” he announced and confidently strutted over to the counter.

Hye Mi’s eyes widened as he walked towards Secretary Hong’s desk. You’ve got to be kidding me…

“Excuse me,” Aron coughed as he leaned on Secretary Hong’s desk, “Can I have some directions?”

“To where?” Secretary Hong politely asked.

Aron leaned in and winked. “To your heart.”

Hye Mi choked on her own spit and stared at him with a bewildered expression, “EHH?!”

Secretary Hong had the same expression, only her eyes were bigger, “W-What?”

“Are you an interior decorator?” Aron flipped his hair dramatically and stared straight into her eyes. “Because when I saw you, my whole world became beautiful.”

“Urgh,” Hye Mi cringed at the cheesiness.

Secretary Hong blinked at him for a few seconds before sighing. “Sorry but this is a hospital, it’s a place where people pick up medicine, not girls.”

Aron’s jaw dropped at how she had rejected him so bluntly. “Did you just…”

“Now if you excuse me, I have work to do.” She cut him off and walked away.

Hye Mi snickered at his failure but calmed herself down as he walked back. “Did you see that?” Aron asked confidently, “She totally fell for me.”

She rolled her eyes and punched his stomach. “Totally.”

“Ouch,” Aron exaggerated and bent forward while clutching onto his stomach. “Remind me why I flew hours and hours to get punched again?”

“Oh whatever drama king,” Hye Mi shook her head and grabbed onto his arm, “Let’s go!”

“Don’t whatever me! You’re the one that begged me to come over!” He protested as she dragged him towards Kris’ door. “YAH YAH slow down!”

She stuck out her tongue and reached out to knock on the door when suddenly, the door sprung open. Kris froze when he saw Hye Mi standing in front of him.

“Oh, hi Doctor Wu!” Hye Mi beamed as Aron slung his arm around her shoulder.

Kris’ eyes automatically shifted to her shoulder with an unpleased look. Who is he? Judging from the way she wasn’t shrugging his arm off or anything, he assumed they were really close.

“Oh I forgot, you must be wondering who this sloth is, his name is Aron.” Hye Mi informed with a grin. “And Aron, this is my doctor, Kris Wu.”

Aron knew the meaning of Kris’ fazed look and smirked. He held out his free hand without letting go of Hye Mi, “Hey, how are you doing? My name’s Aron.”

Kris wanted to throw a wet sponge at his smirk but decided to kept cool, he reached out his hand and shook hands with Aron. “Hey.”

Hye Mi pushed Aron’s arm off and shot him a look, “Stay out here, I’ll be back.” She didn’t want him to know her condition, just in case it was getting worse.

Aron’s frowned. “Why?”

“Because my condition is confidential,” she stuck her tongue out and hurried inside. Kris gave Aron a look before closing the door.

Aron sighed and sat down on the chairs provided opposite the room. It was obvious why Hye Mi was not letting him in. She didn’t want him to pity or worry about her. Ever since little she had been like that, never showing anyone her weak side. He pulled out his phone and went on Facebook to pass the time.

“How are you today?” Hye Mi asked as she sat down on the patient’s chair.

Kris kept quiet, still confused at the guy earlier. As a doctor, he knew it was none of his business to worry about his patients’ social life but Hye Mi was different. He felt the need to know. Oh Kris you are being unreasonable. He thought to himself.

“Ummm, Kris?” Hye Mi bit her lip at his silence. “Is anything wrong? Wait, are you mad that I called you Doctor Wu before?”

Kris blinked at her, “No, you should address me as a doctor at the hospital…”

“Oh,” Hye Mi nodded. She didn’t know whether it was just her or was Kris’ tone was blunter than usual.

“How are you feeling today?” Kris asked and opened up her file.

“Good,” she replied.

“Do you feel unwell anywhere?”

“No…”

“How often are your headaches?”

Hye Mi thought for a moment. Those terrifying headaches come and go, they weren’t decreasing, but it was hard to say whether they were increasing or not. “Not really…?”

Kris stopped writing and stared at her, “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know…” Hye Mi admitted. “Are they?” She asked with round eyes.

A small smile plastered on his lips, this girl was adorable. “Hye Mi it’s your body, I can’t tell you that,” Kris said.

She giggled and flicked her wrist, “Let’s just say no.”

Kris shook his head at her unexpected behaviour. She was definitely unique. Most people will literally exaggerate their pain to gain attention, but her she was, saying no at every question. “Let’s do a quick check up before I send you off with Secretary Hong to continue your therapy session from last week.”

-------------------

After some more questions and the quick check up, Hye Mi rolled down her cardigan sleeve and stood up. “Well that was fun.” She grinned.

Kris once again was shocked at her words. Out of the 3 years he had been a doctor, he had never once heard anyone say checkups were fun, nonetheless from a girl with a terminal illness. “Just remember to take the medication,” he told her as he opened the door.

“Yes, Doctor Wu,” she nodded with a tint of mischievousness in her eyes.

“Hye Mi-ah!” Aron immediately sat up and ran up to her when he saw her. “What took you so long?”

She rolled her eyes and flicked his forehead. “10 minutes isn’t long, you drama king.”

He grinned and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, “Fine fine, let’s go eat now!”

Kris’ eyes immediately turned to the arm, he wanted to think that they were just friends but the casual hand-over-shoulder thing was just too much. “Ahem,” he faked a cough to get their attention.

Hye Mi immediately turned back to him, “Hmm?”

“I think your therapy starts soon, you should get going now,” he stated without taking his eyes off Aron.

Aron smirked, “Oh you have a therapy session?” He smiled innocently at Hye Mi. “Then we can go to that first, you’re more important than Korean barbeque anyways, bubby.”

Hye Mi stared at him with a raised eyebrow as he led her towards Secretary Hong’s direction. “Did you just call me bubby? And since when did you put me before food anyways?”

He grinned and leaned closer to her ear, making Kris clench his fist from far away. “You’ve got an admirer, our little Hye Mi-ah.”

“What?” Hye Mi blinked at him. “Aron, did you hit your head while I was gone?”

Aron shook his head and pulled her closer, “Hmm, a doctor… Not bad. I approve of him.”

She rolled her eyes and pushed away from him. “Are you trying to imply that Doctor Wu likes me?”

“Ahuh,” he beamed.

“He can’t,” she stated flatly.

“What do you mean he can’t?” Aron snickered. “He’s a grown man with raging hormones and astounding good looks.”

“Aish how do I say this…” Hye Mi looked back and forth.

Kris pretended to lean against the door and flip through his folder as he waited for her expected response. Good thing he was gifted with super-sonic hearing.

“He’s… not really into people like me…” Hye Mi said carefully. “He has… different preferences to you and other men…”

But being the dense boy he was, Aron didn’t understand her, “What? So he likes elder women? Ew ahjumma !”

“Oh my god you clueless idiot, his gay!” She slapped her forehead. “How stupid can you get?”

Secretary Hong, who accidentally heard their conversation, started laughing. She turned to Kris, who was trying hard not to blush in embarrassment. Damn she still thinks I like Tao. Urgh that stupid panda and his skinship. He looked back at his secretary with the straightest face he could possibly make before walking back into his room.

Aron stared at Hye Mi with wide eyes, “Are you sure?”

“Positively,” Hye Mi nodded. “I saw it with my own eyes.”

He frowned and scratched his head. He was sure that Kris was interested in Hye Mi. Anyone with half a brain –ahem- like him could figure that out. “Are you sure…?”

Hye Mi sighed and grabbed his arm. “I don’t even know why I’m friends with an idiot like you,” she stated and dragged him towards the therapy room.  

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I am back~ Sorry for the delay :)