Surprising

Bitter Smiles

Hye Mi heaved another sigh as she continuously wiped the table in a circular motion. She remembered what the lady from yesterday had told her and pursed her lips. What did the lady mean? There was no way Kris would’ve liked someone like her. He was a doctor, and she was… a patient.

“Umm Hye Mi… I don’t mean to bother your precious thinking time but that table is already sparkling clean,” Aron said as he came next to her.

She snapped out of her thoughts and shot him a look. “I know,” she replied.

“Yes you know, so why are you still wiping?” he mused.

“Urgh go away Aron.” Hye Mi threw the cloth at him and walked off.

Aron laughed and followed her. “Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today,” he commented.

“You have no idea,” she muttered.

He leaned against the table she was cleaning and crossed his arms. “What are you thinking about?” he asked suspiciously.

Hye Mi sighed and shook her head. “Nothing.” She walked off to the counter, leaving him there by himself.

“Tsk,” Aron rolled his eyes. It was obvious something was bothering her, she was acting like a possessed girl.

“Aron-ah,” Mrs Shin called as she stepped out of the kitchen.

“Yes?” he blinked.

“I think I need you to make another trip to Mr Park’s store for me. Your fan girls are drinking so much we’re running out of coffee beans again.”

“Already?” Aron pouted.

“And I’m afraid I can’t come with you this time, the café is really busy today and Hye Mi needs my help,” Mrs Shin said regretfully.

Aron pouted but nodded. “Okay, I’ll be going now.” He waved and walked out of the door.

“Aww he’s gone again.”

“Dangit now what are we supposed to do here?”

Mrs Shin chuckled at the girls’ comments and turned to Hye Mi. “Isn’t Aron such a cutie?” she asked.

Hye Mi scoffed. “Yeah, he’s cute and I’m Jesus.”

Mrs Shin laughed and shook her head. More customers came in and both of them went to work.

“Hey,” Mrs Shin said after a while. “Aren’t you supposed to go get your results today?”

Hye Mi shook her head. “No. Secretary Hong just called me and said that due to some error with the machines my results have to come out again, it’ll take a few extra days.”

“Oh,” Mrs Shin sighed. She knew that Hye Mi was nervous about the results and couldn’t help but feel bad for the girl. “It’s going to be okay Hye Mi-ah, I’m sure of it,” she comforted the girl.

Hye Mi gave her a big smile and nodded. “Mhm! I know,” she replied merrily. Mrs Shin chuckled and shook her head.

Suddenly, the sound of her phone ringing made Hye Mi jump. She pulled it out of her apron pocket and rolled her eyes when she saw the contact ID. “Hello?”

“Hye Mi Hye Mi help!” she could almost imagine her best friend jumping on the other side of the line.

“What is it?”

“I forgot to bring the money,” Aron cried. “The ajusshi won’t let me take the coffee bags until I pay.”

“Urgh,” Hye Mi groaned. “You idiot.”

“Please come,” he pleaded. “Is the café busy?”

Hye Mi looked around. “No, your fangirls left. I’ll be there in 15 minutes.”

“Arasso, but hurry up!” Aron cheered and hung up.

Hye Mi stared at the phone before letting out a chuckle. She went into the kitchen to tell Mrs Shin and quickly grabbed the money on the counter before rushing out.  As she ran out, she collided into a tall figure and stumbled back.

“Woah,” she yelped as the figure caught her just in time. He chuckled and helped her stand back up. She looked at him and gasped. “Kris?”

“Hey,” he smiled. He noticed she was holding a small pouch and tilted his head. “Are you… going somewhere?”

Hye Mi mentally scolded herself for being so clumsy in front of him. She meekly nodded, “Yeah I am… Aron went to get more coffee beans but that idiot forgot to bring the money so I have to go there for him.”

“Oh,” Kris nodded. “Then do you want a lift?” he asked.

“Lift?” Hye Mi bit her lip. “But didn’t you come here for coffee?”  She blinked.

Kris awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. He was on a break and decided to drop by here to see Hye Mi. Of course, he wasn’t going to admit that. “I was, but its okay.  Come on,’ he said and nodded towards his car.

Hye Mi blushed at his simple gesture; just a nod of his head and her heart was already shaking like it was on crack. “Thanks,” she said shyly and followed him to the car.

Kris pressed the button his key and the car door unlocked. He made sure Hye Mi was on the passenger seat before he closed the door and walked over to the driver’s side.

“Are you cold?” he asked as he the heater. It wasn’t technically winter yet but summer had just finished so it was starting to get chilly. He didn’t want to risk of giving Hye Mi a cold.

“No,” Hye Mi responded as she fiddled with the seat belt. She tried pulling very slowly but it was still locked.

Kris noticed her trouble and chuckled. Without thinking, he swiftly leaned over to help her.

“Thanks-” Hye Mi froze when she met eyes with him. His face was barely 2cm away from hers and she could feel his breathe against her lips.

Kris swallowed. It was as if someone had taken away his ability to move. Every inch of his body was frozen and the only thing he could feel moving was his heart that was beating like crazy. He stared into her light brown eyes and felt his throat go dry.

Hye Mi opened to say something but stayed quiet when his eyes landed on her lips. She unconsciously her lips.

Kris felt his stomach explode when she did that. It was as though time had stopped everything and the only things that were moving were their breathing. His eyes travelled up to hers again, she blinked her round eyes at him but didn’t say anything. Having no control over himself, he started leaning closer towards her.

Hye Mi felt her stomach twist and turn as she watched him come nearer and nearer. Her cheeks were burning up and she was starting to feel light headed. Just as they were about to touch, her hands reached up and pressed against his chest. “I- I think I’ll just walk it,” she almost whispered and hurried off. She gave him a short bow before closing the door and running off.

Kris sat there and watched her disappearing figure run. He felt his heart slow down and sighed in regret. He was surprised with his actions but he knew Hye Mi was probably horrified. She was his patient and he had acted so rash with her. It was selfish of him to do that and he didn’t want her to think of him differently after this.  He leaned back into his chair and covered his face. What the heck had he done?