Leaving

Bitter Smiles

After spending time at the park, Kris and Hye Mi went to eat dinner at a nearby restaurant before he drove her home.  He parked in front of her apartment building.

“Do you want to come up?” Hye Mi asked sheepishly. “It’s weird knowing that my boyfriend doesn’t even know where my house is.”

Kris smiled and shook his head. “It’s alright; I’ll come up next time since it’s getting late.”

Hye Mi nodded glumly. She didn’t want to leave yet but didn’t want to admit it.

Kris noticed her expression and chuckled. “Do you want me to pick you up for work tomorrow? We can go grab breakfast too.”

“No it’s okay,” Hye Mi shook her head. “I’ll just walk it with Aron tomorrow. You probably have work early.”

“Oh yeah,” Kris muttered. He had forgotten that Aron was living with Hye Mi. The thought of them being around each other so much made him slightly mad.

Suddenly, Hye Mi’s phone rang and she picked it up almost immediately. “Hello?”

Kris’ index finger tapped on the steering wheel patiently as he could hear Aron’s voice through the speakers.

“Are you nearly home? I’m sleepy,” Aron complained.

Hye Mi rolled her eyes. “I’m here. Leave the door open for me and go to sleep first.”

“Good,” Aron nodded. “I left your pyjamas in the bathroom for you too, is the pink one okay? I put your blue ones in the washing machine.”

Kris stopped tapping and stared at the phone with slit eyes.  

“Pink is fine,” Hye Mi smiled. “Thanks.”

“Hurry up and come up!” Aron suddenly shouted. “Stop making out with your doctor down there!”  He joked and hung up.

Hye Mi’s eyes widened and she shoved her phone into her bag. Flustered, she turned to Kris with a weak smile. “I think I’m going to go up now,” she informed.

“Wait Hye Mi,” Kris called and grabbed her arm. She sat back down and blinked at him. “Do you and Aron really… live together?”

Hye Mi pondered for a few seconds, her lips slowly hinging into a knowing smile. “Of course he does!” she replied whole heartedly. 

Kris cleared his throat nervously. “Doesn’t he have his own house? I mean… you guys are both adults now… isn’t it weird living together like that?” Hye Mi blinked at him and he shrank back into his chair. “Not that I’m bothered or anything…” he quickly added.

“Hmm,” Hye Mi gave him a judging look and leaned closer. “No it’s not weird. Buy why?” she asked. “Are you… jealous?”

“What?” Kris’ eyes widened. “Of course not!” He used two fingers to push her forehead away.

Hye Mi fell back into her chair while giggling. “Okay, I believe you,” she told him with an unconvinced tone.

Kris bit the inside of his cheeks and looked out the window. He had too much man pride to say that he was jealous, and they had only dated for about a day so it would be weird if he suddenly became so defensive.

Hye Mi bit her lip to stop herself from giggling. “Aron is only staying for another month and a half, don’t worry.”

Kris nodded with a satisfied smile. Hye Mi clucked her tongue and shook her head. She didn’t expect Kris to be the jealous type, he was always so quiet and relaxed.

After talking some more, Hye Mi had to reluctantly leave. She closed the car door and bent down to look at him through the window. “Bye!” she waved with a big smile.

Kris smiled and waved back. “Go in,” he mouthed.

“Tsk.” Hye Mi scrunched up her nose. She stuck out her tongue playfully and walked inside the building.

Kris chuckled and shook his head when he saw her trip. After making sure that she was safe inside the escalator, he stepped on the pedal and drove off.

“I’m home~” Hye Mi sing songed as she opened the door. She halted when she realised the lights were off and roamed her hand along the wall to find the light switch.

“Umma I can’t go back to Cali now!” Aron’s upset voice boomed from her bedroom.

Hye Mi closed the door quietly and came closer.

“I told you I was staying here for three months!” Aron shouted. “You can’t just force me to come back now. You agreed for me to go!”

He has to go back? Hye Mi pursed her lips in disappointment. As much as he annoyed her, Aron was still her only friend and she didn’t want to imagine the dull life she would have to return to without him pestering her every morning anymore.

“I can’t leave Hye Mi all alone here so I’m not leaving,” Aron announced. “Tell Mihyun I’m sorry. I’ll send her her birthday present tomorrow morning, it’ll arrive in 3 days, right on her birthday.”

Hye Mi stepped back when he hung up and threw his phone on the bed. Aron groaned and covered his face with his palms. Hye Mi softened at his words and stepped closer. 

Aron heard her footsteps and turned around. “Oh, you’re home.” She nodded quietly and he chuckled. “Gosh I thought you were going to stay down there with him forever. Go shower, it’s late.”

Hye Mi’s heart rate decreased at his distraught smile. She came towards him and gently gripped his arm. “You don’t have to worry about me,” she said softly. “I’ll do fine on my own.”

“You heard huh?” Aron chortled. “Don’t worry, just go change and sleep.” He ruffled her hair and walked out to the living room.

Hye Mi sighed but without a choice, she walked into her bathroom. After a quick shower, she came out of the bathroom holding her towel. Aron was lying on her bed, staring at the wall. He sat up when he felt her presence and clucked his tongue at her wet hair. “Come here,” he patted the side of the bed. She waddled over and sat down. He took the towel from her hand and started drying your hair.

“Aron, are you going back to California?” Hye Mi asked.

“Nope,” he replied.

“Well do you want to go back?”

Aron stopped drying her hair and lowered his hand. Hye Mi turned around to face him.

“You don’t have to stay for me…” she whispered gently. “You probably miss your family over there right?” He stayed quiet and she laughed. “Aron, I know why you came back to Korea, and I want you to know that I’m very thankful.”

“If you’re thankful then pay for my meal tomorrow,” Aron joked.

Hye Mi rolled her eyes and flicked his forehead. “Idiot,” she muttered.

He laughed and ruffled her hair. “So how was your date?” he asked. Hye Mi immediately brightened at the mention of her new boyfriend. Aron tittered, he threw the towel onto the chair and leaned back onto her pillows. “Tell me about me, or are you still going to be secretive about it?”

Without hesitation, Hye Mi made herself comfortable on the bed and told her best friend about her day. Aron listened whole heartedly as she described her day and the things she and Kris did. The more Hye Mi talked about Kris, the more at ease Aron felt. He finally knew that someone was going to be there for his best friend once he leaves.

After a while, Hye Mi’s eyes slowly drooped. She turned her back to Aron and fell asleep. Aron raised an amused eyebrow but chuckled. He pulled the blanket over her and slowly got off the bed. He tip toed towards the door and after giving her one last gaze, turned off the lights and closed the door.