Clarifying

Bitter Smiles

 

A few days later Hye Mi found herself sitting at art class. With Kris.

Though it had been many days already, seeing him now still tugged her stomach.

With the art teacher blabbering on and on about the importance of combining colours, the two of them couldn’t have a normal conversation, but they both knew neither of them were paying attention.

 “Hey,” Kris tried to break the awkward atmosphere that was engulfing them with a whisper. He felt strange trying to keep a conversation going because Hye Mi was usually the one to start blabbering away. She was strangely quiet today, and he didn’t like her like that.

“Hmm?” Hye Mi hummed with her eyes still mindlessly clued onto the teacher.  

Kris thought this was another strange thing because she was always the type to look straight into a person’s eye. He still remembered how hard it used to be for him to look at her back, despite those twinkling eyes she was using to talk to him. “Ummm how’s… life?” he whispered lamely. Wow, nice going Kris. He thought to himself. Great way to start a normal question.

Hye Mi silently chuckled at the question before heaving out a big sigh, no one had asked her that question in a while. “Hmm, it’s going good…” She tapped her chin thoughtfully, “Though it could’ve been better if I didn’t have a monkey following me around all day.”

“What?” Kris asked lowly. “Monkey?”

She let out a tinkling chuckle before waving her hand. “Sorry I was just talking about Aron.”

“Aron?” Hye Mi missed the crestfallen expression on Kris’ face as she tried her best to not look at his face.

“Yeah, he’s the one you saw at the hospital last time, and at the café too,” Hye Mi smiled remembering the touching sight of Kris saving the girl.

Seeing her smile, Kris couldn’t help but envy Aron. He wasn’t even in this room, yet he was still able to make her smile. “So you and Aron…” Kris muttered quietly, half wanting her to hear him and half not.

“Hmm?” Hye Mi hummed.

“Are you guys… dating?” he asked with a tint of hope.

Hye Mi’s eyes widened and for the first time that day, she finally looked at him in the eye. Kris sank back, afraid to have offended her in any way. “Muwoh!” she tried to keep her voice as quiet as possible, afraid the teacher will catch them. “Me and Aron?” Suddenly, the thought of her and Aron acting like a couple came across her mind, making her want to gag. “Hah. That’s funny.”

Like a miracle, Kris felt like an 100kg box had been lifted off of him. Hearing her statement had unconsciously bought a smile to his face, as cheesy as it sounds. “What?”

“Aron and I aren’t together,” Hye Mi stated, “and we’ll never be.” She paused for a moment to figure out her words. “Ever since I was little, Aron had been by my side. I met him when I was 5, he was 6 back then and we grew up together since our houses were right next door. When I was 14, he had left to California but we still kept in contact until now.”

Kris nodded. Judging from the quick information, he could already tell that Aron meant a lot to Hye Mi. He knew that as much as the boy annoyed her, she still appreciated his presence. But that didn’t decrease the amount of envy he had for the latter.

Seeing that he was still silent, Hye Mi suddenly had the urge to make sure he knew she was single. “That’s why we’ll never end up together,” she blurted, but still tried to keep quiet. “Aron and I are probably too comfortable to be a couple- If that made sense.” She paused for a moment before scrunching her nose. “On second note, I think he might be interested in men,” she joked.

Kris nodded again; her clarification had boosted up his energy. “It must be nice to have such a close friend.”

She smiled and nodded. “It is, but you have a partner to be with… Don’t you?” She knew it was an icky topic but couldn’t keep shut. Curiosity has killed the cat.

“Uhh…” Kris stiffened. So the still thought he was gay. Oh god. “I think what you saw… was…” He took a minute to gulp down all his spit and leaned in closer so that no one else could hear their quiet conversation. “I think you misunderstood something.”

“What?” She blinked at him.

Kris sighed and spoke, “I’m not… like that.”

Hye Mi’s eyes rounded and she suddenly had hope, but not wanting to be so assuming, she decided to make sure first. “Sorry what?”

“I’m not interested in men,” Kris announced with a small sigh. This girl was really clueless.

Holding in her squeal, Hye Mi decided to pry further in, despite being satisfied with the fact that he wasn’t gay already. “So what happened at the hospital the other day?” She asked innocently, partly confused.

“What you saw… Was my friend- no best friend mucking around,” Kris forced a smile. “We’re both perfectly straight…”

A tinkling smile plastered on Hye Mi’s lips. So Aron was right about one thing. She thought. Staring at Kris, everything made more sense now. He was a handsome doctor with a soft personality, how could anyone think he could be gay? Boy this man was the definition of perfection… At least in Hye Mi’s eyes now.

“Actually on second note, he might be interested in men as well,” Kris added to break the strange atmosphere he was feeling. “Maybe we should introduce the two of them together.”

Hye Mi blinked at him for a minute before bursting into laughter. She couldn’t keep quiet anymore. Not with Kris’ emotionless face and funny words. “HAHAHAHA!”

Startled by all the noise she was making, Kris’ eyes widened. But the more she continued to laugh, the calmer he got and soon, he was grinning while she laughed.

“Excuse me Kris and Hye Mi, I don’t appreciate your interruption, but since you are laughing so much, would you want to share it with all of us so we can laugh too?” Miss Kim shot them a look with her arms crossed.

Hye Mi immediately stopped laughing and ducked her head. “Sorry Miss,” she mumbled.

Kris did the same, only he was a little bit too tall to completely hide behind the person in front of him. “Sorry, Miss Kim.”

Miss Kim shot them one last look before continuing her class. Hye Mi and Kris turned to each other at the same time before letting out a grin.

Hye Mi leaned closer into his ear. “Yeah, we should have them meet up,” she whispered and he chuckled.

Neither of them knew, but at that moment these two clarifications had become the beginning of their journey.

Together.  

 

------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: OMG OMG OMG their teaser is out! EXO IS BACK BB!

Click here to have your eye snack muahahaha xx