Thanking

Bitter Smiles

A/N: Okay so after like, 3 months of being dead I have shamelessly come back to life... There are tons and tons of reasons why I haven't been updating but I will just tell you the most accurate ones: I was lazy, mindblocked, and lost. Within the past three months, I have gone to camp as well as go overseas so I couldn't remember anything about the story by the time I returned which made me have to reread the whole story again and let me tell you peeps, NOTHING is as boring as reading your own story XD Anyways I hope I'm back for good now, enjoy~

-------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey,” Kris greeted as Hye Mi stepped into the hospital room, only this time it wasn’t for an appointment.

“Hello~” Hye Mi waved with a bright smile, and Kris felt himself smiling also.

It had been almost three weeks since they have been dating, and both of them were loving every minute of it.

“Are you ready to go?” Hye Mi asked as she closed the door. “Where are you taking me anyways?”

Kris nodded and stood up. He took off his white coat and hung it up on the coat stand. “Someone wants to meet you,” he informed in a secretive tone.

Hye Mi wrinkled her nose. “Who?”

“I won’t tell you, just in case you run away,” Kris grinned and walked towards her. “Let’s go.”

Hye Mi chuckled. During the past three weeks, she has found many new sides of her boyfriend; one being that he could be wonderfully adorable when he wanted to be.

Kris pecked her forehead and led her out of his office room. They said goodbye to secretary Hong and left the hospital.

“Are you like… taking me to the port to be shipped off or something?” Hye Mi asked with an accusing tone as they got into his car.

Kris buckled his seatbelt and laughed. “You think too much,” he chided and drove.

“Just saying,” Hye Mi shrugged. “You could be selling me off to mafias by all I know.”

Kris raised his eyebrows in amusement. He stopped at a traffic light and turned to her. “And you watch too much movies, too.”

Hye Mi pulled down the skin under her eye and stuck out her tongue, making Kris blink. “Blehh,” she mehronged and turned to the window.

Kris shook his head with a titter, he reached over to flick her cheek before turning his attention to the road.

--------------------

“HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Kris ducked his head in embarrassment and Hye Mi cringed. Tao didn’t seem to notice all the looks that were directed at him as he ran through the crowd. He stopped in front of Kris and Hye Mi and grinned. “You’re late,” he said, sending Kris a disapproving look.

Kris rolled his eyes at his best friend. “Just shut it, you’re lucky I’m even letting you meet her.”

Tao thought for a moment before nodding. “True, true.” He turned to Hye Mi and gave her the cheesiest smile ever. “Why hello there, the name’s Tao. I already know your name is Hye Mi, so let’s be friends, ehh?”

A smile formed on Hye Mi’s lips at his extravagant greeting. He was just like a replica of Aron, only better dressed. “Hi,” she meekly greeted.

“Ahh so kawaii,” Tao squealed. He took off his leopard print scarf and wrapped it around her neck. “Here’s my meeting gift, wear it well okay?”

Kris stiffened and glared at his best friend. Hye Mi’s eyes widened at the action. “Oh no you don’t have to-”

Tao flicked his wrist. “Just keep it, Kris bought it for me anyways.” He leaned closer to her ear and whispered, “He doesn’t really have a good fashion sense. Trust me, behind all those suits and blazers, it’s just boxers and wife beaters.”

Hye Mi opened to speak but Tao cut her off. “Just kidding, but keep it okay? Don’t hurt my feelings.”

Hye Mi looked up at Kris. He rolled his eyes but nonetheless nodded. Hye Mi beamed. “Thank you,” she smiled at Tao.

Tao put his hands over his heart and feigned pain. “Oh, that smile just killed my heart. Someone call the ambulance.”

Hye Mi giggled and Kris grunted. He placed his arm around Hye Mi’s shoulder and pushed Tao out of the way.

“Hey! Don’t leave me!” Tao wailed as he ran after the two.

“So what do you want to watch, Hye Mi?” Kris asked as they stood in front of the movie theatres.

“I want to watch a comedy!” Tao chirped.

Kris shot him a look. “Did I ask you?”

Tao pouted, and Hye Mi’s eyes rounded at how cute he actually looked.

“Hye Mi?” Kris asked again.

Hye Mi snapped out of her daze and blinked at him. “Hmm?”

“What movie do you want to watch?” he repeated.

“Umm…” Hye Mi looked at Tao, who gave her the puppy eyes. “I think a comedy would be fine.”

“Asa!” Tao cheered in victory.

Kris scoffed. “Go buy your own ticket,” he said to Tao.

“But, but,” Tao’s lips trembled dramatically.

“Not gonna work,” Kris shrugged.

“Urgh,” Tao stomped his foot. “Fine! I’ll pay for you too Mimi-ah, let Kris and his stinginess rot away together!”

Hye Mi smiled and nodded, he was so much like Aron that she just couldn’t feel any awkwardness around him. “Mhm! Let’s go!”

Kris watched with his jaws dropped as Tao stormed off with Hye Mi right beside him. Did he just get his girlfriend taken away from him?

“Hi,” Tao smiled at the girl at the ticket booth. “Can I please have two tickets for Grown Ups 2-”

“Make that three, thanks,” Kris appeared beside them. Tao crossed his arms and stared at Kris quizzically. Kris rolled his eyes and pulled out his wallet. Tao immediately broke into a grin. “I take my words back, you were never stingy, duizhang~”

“Duizhang?” Hye Mi blinked.

Kris shook his head. He paid, took the tickets and they walked out away from the booth.

“What’s duizhang?” Hye Mi asked again.

Tao grinned and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “It means leader in Chinese.”

“Leader?” Hye Mi pondered.

“Yeah, didn’t he tell you?” Tao took his arm off her and shot a nervous look at Kris before continuing. “Before he moved to Korea, Kris… was the leader of a mafia gang.”

Kris shot Tao a look as Hye Mi gasped. “W-What?” she stuttered. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Tao nodded, completely ignoring Kris fierce glares. “And not just any mafia gang, the most cruel and largest gang in China. Actually, the reason why he moved to Korea was to avoid the cops from arresting his .”

Hye Mi felt her heart rate triple as she turned to Kris with questioning eyes. “K-Kris?” she squeaked. How on earth could someone who looked so kind could be the leader of such a gang?

Kris bit his lip when he saw the confused look in her eye. “Tao, if you tell her one more lie about me, I will make sure you never see a Gucci bag again.”

Hye Mi cocked her head to the side as Tao burst into laughter. “Oh- My- God! Your reaction was so funny!” He pinched her cheeks and wrapped his arm around her shoulder once again, bringing her closer to him. “I was just kidding, Kris was just the leader of our friendship group back in China. Don’t worry, he is the definition of p-u-r-i-t-y.”  

She nodded slowly at his words. “Oh.”

Tao grinned. “Come on, movie is starting.” He snatched the tickets from Kris’ hand and dragged her towards the cinema room. Kris exhaled to calm himself down before following them.

After the movies, the three of them walked out. Kris walked behind as he glared at Tao, who had his arms around Hye Mi again.

“Man, that was the funniest movie ever,” Tao cried as he wiped tears b at the end of his eye.

Hye Mi nodded and rubbed her stomach that was beginning to hurt from laughing so much. “I loved it.”  She stopped walking when she realised Kris was nowhere in sight. She spun around when she saw Kris there, looking all annoyed. “Kris,” she called and held out her hand.

Kris shot her a look for abandoning him. She smiled and all his anger vanished immediately. He grudgingly walked over and slipped his hand over hers. She beamed at him and they kept walking.

“I’m hungry,” Tao said after a while.

“Then go feed yourself,” Kris stated.

“I’m hungry too,” Hye Mi patted her belly.

“Then let’s go eat,” Kris quickly changed his words.

Tao snorted and rolled his eyes. “Can we please say biased?”

Hye Mi giggled. “What did you want to eat… Tao?”

“That’s Tao oppa to you~” He sing-songed.

Kris shot Kris a dirty. “She doesn’t even call me oppa, so don’t think about it.”

“She doesn’t?!” Tao gasped. He turned to Hye Mi and raised his thumb up. “Good job.”

Kris grunted and made a mental note to take back one of the Gucci bags he has bought for the ungrateful brat.  “Just hurry up and choose a place to eat.”

After a while, the Hye Mi and Tao decided to try out an Italian restaurant nearby. Kris ordered their food while Tao and Hye Mi sat at the table.

Hye Mi was texting Aron while Tao was studying Kris. As hard as he tried to keep his façade up, Tao knew that Kris’ cold walls have been demolished long ago.

“You know, I should really thank you,” he said to Hye Mi.

Hye Mi looked up from her phone and blinked at him. “What?”

“Kris,” Tao said.

Hye Mi looked at Kris, who was now ordering food. “What about him?”

“I’m really glad that he has you by his side now,” Tao said sincerely. “Before he met you, all he cared about was work, work and work. You changed him so much, and for the better too. Even though he’s still an to me, he looks happier now.” Much happier than he used to look.

A soft smile formed on Hye Mi’s lips. He’s changed me too.

“I hope you remain by his side forever,” Tao continued, “Because if you leave, Kris will return to the hurt person he used to be.”

Hye Mi felt her heart crack at the word ‘forever’. Ever since she was 20, that word had disappeared from her dictionary. Nothing in her life would be permanent anymore because one day, she’d be gone and everything she ever knew would be left behind.

Tao’s words have made her realised how selfish she was for entering Kris’ life and then leaving just like that.

“What are you guys talking about?” Kris asked as he came back with a sign with the number 28 on it.

“Nothing about you,” Tao snapped. Kris rolled his eyes and sat down next to Hye Mi, making her look up.

“Are you alright?” Kris asked, noticing her blank expression.

Hye Mi swallowed the lump in and nodded. Kris smiled and grabbed her hand, he kissed her knuckles, making her smile.

“Urgh, talk about PDA,” Tao cringed and made a face. “My eyes are being destroyed by you two.”

Kris shot him a look and held out his hand. “Pay me, for the movie ticket and the food.”

Tao’s eyes widened and he leaned back. “What? You said it was your shout!” he protested.

“No I did not, now pay me,” Kris demanded.

“Never!”

Hye Mi watched as the two started bickering. Kris looked so at peace, and she couldn’t help but be a little proud knowing that she was part of the reason why. But her thought was cut to an end when she realised that she would also be the reason why he would be in pain in the future. What would be the point of making someone happy, if you were going to make them sad either way?

Her eyes drifted to his interlaced hand with hers and smiled. It had been three weeks since they’ve dated, and she knew that within those three weeks, she had learn the reason why.

Because if you had made someone happy, then you were at least doing the right thing, even if it was only for a while.