Just What am I to You?

The Third Wheel

 

 

“I don’t care what he said, you hit him!” Xiao Shan shouted angrily while she stormed back to her own room with Kris hot at her heels, stuttering explanations and excuses.

She turned to slam the door in his face but he had blocked it by inserting his tall frame in between before the door was closed. Sighing angrily, she backed away from him and sat down on her bed.

Kris tentatively took a few small steps forward, his mind racking for the perfect explanation for his brashness. But he came up with none. So he decided to go with the plain truth. “I don’t like him.”

“Kris… Please, I don’t need this,” Xiao Shan started again. But he raised a finger to stop her. His eyes were desperate and earnest.

“I know it’s none of my business. It’s your life so what have I got to say? I’m just a friend.” Her shoulders slumped in surrender. She’s tired and he’s guilt-tripping her.

“But for the past five years, I watched how you raised Xing by yourself. And I know at times, you still cry thinking about that man. You love him because you said he was the only person who made your world a better place and I get that. Love is unreasonable.”

“And it’s because of this love that I know. You will give him Xing if he asks you,” Kris finished bitterly.

“I…” Xiao Shan was lost for speech. She couldn’t rebut him or say anything in her defense - Because he has hit the mark again.

“Xing doesn’t belong to him! He’s your life now and you cannot give it away!” he added furiously. “No matter how much he’s going to beg, you must not give in to him. And if he drags it to court, we’ll fight.”

She shook her head. “No, Kris, you’ve misunderstand. Lu Han says he doesn’t want Xing.”

He frowned, exactly how she had earlier today when she heard Lu Han. Catching the look, she said more, “He’s happy knowing that Xing is well and he said he will not come in between Xing and me.”

“That’s what he wants you to believe, Xiao Shan!” Kris burst out exasperatedly. “Trust me, Xiao Shan; he’s not as angelic as you think he is. If he’s such a great person, how could he let you go through so much?! He’s just a selfish jerk who thinks nothing but his own happiness! He’s not worth that much for you to sacrifice…!”

“Kris, enough..!” Xiao Shan screamed and jumped to her feet. Tears streaked her face again as her body shook in rage. “You don’t understand anything…”

Kris took a step away from her, a part of him afraid at the outburst and another, just plain guilty because he may have just pushed too far this time. She turned away, her shoulders shaking with uncontrollable sobs, while muttering reassurances to herself about her decisions. And he could only watch helplessly.

Finally, he sighed, just loud enough for her to hear. “That guy, you would even die for him, giving him your only happiness, is he a better person than me?”

How many times must he lose to a man who is no longer anything but a shadow in her memories? Even when he’s right here, she only sees the other guy. Even when he’s true to her, the other guy is always truer. Even when he’s doing his best and the other guy is not, she only replies the other heart. What would be enough?

“Won’t I do?” Kris mustered his courage to ask softly. She turned to look at him, her eyes glistening with tears and wonder. It wasn’t an answer but to him, it was a reply to his confession.

Xiao Shan opened to respond when suddenly, a blur short figure darted forward and started punching Kris at his lanky legs. Xing’s tiny fists almost felt nothing to the latter but the little boy continued abusing the man anyway.

“Mean, evil Uncle Kris! Xing hates you!! You’re mean, evil!!” Xing wailed at his best angry voice, landing blow after blow on the legs. The seemingly mountainous figure didn’t budge, rather, he felt himself bumping backwards every time he charged.

“Xing, what are you doing?” Kris asked with a tinge of annoyance in his tone. The perfect moment was ruined thanks to this little buddy and he was pretty sure Xiao Shan was going to say ‘yes’.

Xiao Shan grabbed hold of her son but the boy struggled in her hold. “You made mommy cried! You’re a big bully!”

“Xing, it’s not like that,” Xiao Shan said hurriedly. She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand and knelt down to face her son. He turned to look at her, still fuming mad. She put on her best smile. “Mommy is just sad thinking about mommy’s sister, your Aunty Ann, that’s all. Uncle Kris didn’t do anything.”

It wasn’t convincing even the five years old kid. Kris rolled his eyes at the feeble attempt but chose not to say anything, scared that it’ll just aggravate the situation. Rubbing his legs absent-mindedly, he watched Xing turned to cast him an evil eye and returned to wrap his arms around Xiao Shan. He caressed her hair like how she usually does him and he asked softly.

“Mommy, when will we go back? Mommy is not happy, Xing is not happy.”

She caught his hand in hers and kissed it tenderly. Looking up, she smiled more sincerely. “Soon, Xing, once Aunty Ann gets better, we’ll go home, alright?”

She looked up and caught Kris’s eyes staring at her. “We will all go home together, Xing.”

And that was enough for Kris.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so sorry, my fellow readers!!!!   (mTT-TTm)

I have been MIA for more than a month. I don't believe it either until I saw my own story page. I've been on AFF but just never the time to actually sit down and write. Plus all the negative news surrounding EXO just makes me go 'uurrrgh'~  

I promise I'll try to update more often. Been watching lots of past videos of EXO to cheer myself up. Kinda sad, I know. -_-lll      Anyhow... I hope this chapter will cheer everyone up. ^^

P.S ---> I really like Luhan & Kris both so I really can't choose.