The Lucky One Pt.1

The Third Wheel

 

 

Mrs. Lee watched her daughter Ann busied herself with her iPhone while munching on her food. Her husband too was watching from the corner of his eyes and shook his head in disapproval but had not said anything. The other daughter Xiao Shan was being her usual self again, quietly eating and only answering questions with her standard one syllabus answers.

She sighed inwardly. She had gone through with Ann umpteen times about table manners and it just didn’t seem to register in the latter’s head. Ann was forever glued to her phone.

“Ann…” Mrs. Lee begun, putting down her chopsticks. The younger girl looked up from the text on her phone. “What did I say about using the phone during meal times?”

Ann smiled sheepishly and quickly put it away. “Sorry, mom, my friends were just asking me out during the weekends.”

“You girls see each other every day. Why can’t you girls just talk it out in school, or after dinner? You know dinner time is for family,” Mrs. Lee continued. Turning quickly to Xiao Shan, her tone softened. “And how’s school, Xiao Shan?”

The younger of the two sisters looked up from her bowl of rice. Her hair had effectively fallen over her forehead to cover her eyes partially like most recluses. Avoiding eye contact, she nodded her head and swallowed her food. “It’s alright.”

“That’s all? Anything interest happening in school?” Mrs. Lee prompted more.

This time, Xiao Shan looked up and their eyes met. It was an achievement from Mrs. Lee’s part since the former hardly looked at anyone in the eye. It has been like this since Xiao Shan was young and no matter how many counselors she has seen, nothing changed. Mrs. Lee has only herself to blame and she was trying real hard to compensate for that.

Xiao Shan opened to answer but Ann had cut into their conversation. “Mom, dad, can I have my birthday party next week at the Grand Hotel? I heard their pool party is awesome!”

And the gate was shut again. Mrs. Lee sighed.

“Honey, we always have it at our house.”

“That’s why it’s getting boring,” Ann explained quickly. Turning to her father, she pulled her lips into a cute pout with pleading eyes like ‘Puss in Boots’ of Shrek. “Dad, please… It’s my twenty-first birthday.”

Mr. and Mrs. Lee exchanged looks, and in their usual non-verbal telepathic conversation, they came to a verdict quickly. Mr. Lee nodded. “Sure, why not. You don’t come off age every year so we should properly celebrate it.”

Ann jumped in her seat, pumping her fist into the air. Grinning widely, she mentally detailed out her birthday bash and what dress she was going to wear. Oh how exciting!

“It’s going to be Xiao Shan’s birthday next month so why don’t we celebrate it together?” Mrs. Lee interjected hurriedly, turning to her younger daughter and smiled.

Ann’s smile faltered while Xiao Shan’s eyes widened. “But… but I… I don’t want any birthday party!”

“It’s going to be your twenty-first birthday as well, honey. Why don’t both of your celebrate it together. That way, your dad can formally introduce both of you to the public,” Mrs. Lee said patiently. She turned to look at her husband for support which he nodded in return. “It’s an important event, girls coming of age. I bet lots of guys would be chasing after you girls.”

By that, of course Mrs. Lee had meant it for Xiao Shan. Ann has been going steady with Lu Han for almost three years now and there wasn’t any indication they might be breaking up any time soon. On the other hand, the younger miss was nowhere near in the landing a guy department.

Xiao Shan though inherited her mother’s petite frame that most guys coveted and the timeless beauty of flawless skin and silky hair; was totally uncaring about how she looked in front of others. It isn’t the matter of looking good; she had argued with her doctor, there simply isn’t a need to. So she remained in her cocoon of messy hair and old-fashioned tee and jeans.

“There is no need to hold a birthday party for me, mom,” Xiao Shan said softly. Her tone was gentle but there was no mistake of the finality it carried as she set down her chopsticks and bowl of half-eaten rice. “I don’t need to be introduced to dad’s circle of friends, they all know me.”

From the head of the table, Mr. Lee sighed. He knew that was the end of the conversation and no matter what his wife has to say, Xiao Shan’s not going to change her mind. Ann was sighing as well.

Because deep down, she knew, there was no way she’s getting a pool party unless Xiao Shan agrees to have hers as well. Her mom made a huge fuss every year when it’s near their birthdays and though Xiao Shan won every year, this year would be an exception. It’s the year they would both be introduced to the high society.

Taking the cue from the silence, Xiao Shan got up from her chair. “I’m finished eating. Thank you for the meal. I’ll be up in my room.” And she made her way to the stairs.

“I’ll talk to her,” Ann announced. She may be only a month older than Xiao Shan but she held certain power her parents did not. And that power could persuade the ice princess to cave.

“Thank you, Ann honey,” Mrs. Lee said, smiling at her. Ann shrugged, picking up her chopsticks again to continue the dinner. Xiao Shan needed to cave in order for the pool party to happen and cave she will.

‘She has no idea how lucky she really is,’ Ann thought as she watched her mom passed a piece of chicken to her dad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------