What Really Happened?

The Third Wheel

 

 

Xiao Shan carried Xing in her arms, covering his face, and rushed into the house. Her son struggled in her hold, peeking out over her shoulder and protesting that she has left all his newly bought toys and Donald in the car. Right behind, Mr. and Mrs. Lee proceeded to remove everything from the car. And they were closely followed by a persistent Lu Han.

“Xiao Shan, answer me! Am I the father?” Lu Han shouted again once he parked the car and literally jumped out of it. He dove past Mr. Lee who tried to talk some sense into him and made it to the front door only to see Xiao Shan disappeared up the stairs and Xing’s curious glance at him. “Damn it, Xiao Shan!”

“Lu Han…!” Mr. Lee called firmly. The former turned to look at his father-in-law. He was being driven to the brink of madness by the Lee family.

“Go home. She’s not going to talk.”

“You knew about this?!” he demanded angrily. The bloodshot eyes shifted from one person to another. His parents-in-law moved uneasily while exchanging looks. He cursed again. “Why didn’t any of you tell me? Damn it! You let her disappear just like that five years ago, lying to me and all these time, she has my kid!”

“It’s not what you think it is, Lu Han,” Mrs. Lu cried out. Her husband stepped forward to stop her but she shook it off. “He deserves to know. Now that he’s found Xing, he needs to understand.” She turned to Lu Han again. “Let’s go in and sit down, Lu Han. I’ll explain everything. And then you’ll know that it’s all for your sake.”

*

“I want Donald!” Xing whined incessantly, kicking his feet on the bed, throwing a minor tantrum.

His mother threw him an uneasy glance but ignored the whining as she continued to pace in a circle. Xing stopped his antics for a moment, considering resorting to crocodile tears if he’s not given his favorite duck doll. But when he sat up to start his act, he realized his mother wasn’t even paying even the slightest attention to him. She has kneeled onto the floor, sobbing silently behind her hands.

“Mommy…?” Xing called out softly, afraid if he shouted again, she might cry for real. But the shoulders were trembling even when he couldn’t see her face, and he knew that she’s crying.

Slowly, he tumbled down the bed; his small legs scurried over to his mom’s side. Xiao Shan didn’t look up when he placed his hands on her. “Mommy, I’m sorry. I don’t mean to make you cry…”

Xing hates it when he sees his mom cries. The last time he did was when he refused to eat his greens and threw a tantrum. When he broke the plate, she walked out of the room and locked herself in the room, crying. He apologized but she wouldn’t come out until after Uncle Kris talked to her. And since then, he was careful not to push the limit. His heart hurts when he made his mommy like this.

“Mommy…” He shook Xiao Shan again, biting his lower lips to prevent himself from crying too. His Uncle Kris always tells him, big boys don’t cry and big boys don’t make their mommy sad.

Xiao Shan looked up from her hands, her face tear-streaked. Her baby boy was staring back at her, trying very hard not to cry too. She pulled him into her arms, hugging him tightly while caressing his hair. “Mommy…”

“I’m sorry, Xing. Mommy’s not feeling well, that’s all. Will Xing be a good boy and watch some TV? Mommy just wants to rest for a while.”

Xing nodded. He raised his hand to wipe away the tears from his mother’s face and quickly pecked her on the cheek. “Mommy, don’t cry. Xing will be good.” She smiled at his gesture. “Mommy, I love you.”

“I love you too, Xing,” she answered. No one would take him away.

*

“Did you guys force her to leave?” Lu Han demanded even before they sat down. The servant came forward with drinks but Mr. Lee impatiently waved them away. The former waited expectantly.

“No, we didn’t force her,” Mr. Lee replied calmly. “She chose to leave.” Lu Han opened his mouth to ask more but the older man cut him to continue. “Look, Lu Han, she’s my daughter. And we know that you thought it was your fault. But truth is it isn’t anybody’s. She left because that was the only way for you and Ann to be together.”

“I could have found another way around the marriage, damn it!”

“No, there isn’t!” Mr. Lee rebutted in raised voice. The other two turned to him, shocked that he’s lost his cool. But he simply pulled his glasses off and rubbed his face tiredly.

“There wasn’t a day gone by that I didn’t think about this too, Lu Han. I sacrificed one daughter for another. And every day, I ask myself; could there have been another way?” He looked up and admitted, “There isn’t. If Xiao Shan didn’t leave, you would never marry Ann. And if you have married Xiao Shan, she would be forced to walk the same path as her mother. I will not let that happen to my daughter.”

Mrs. Lee put a hand on her husband’s shoulder, watching him heaved a long sigh of guilt and regret. She added on, “We all tried to talk her out of it but she was adamant. After she left, Ann did try to tell you but we wouldn’t let her. Xiao Shan clearly said that if you find out, you would stop her.”

“All she ever wanted was to see you and Ann happy, Lu Han, please understand that.”

“No, I can’t!” Lu Han jumped to his feet, shaking his head like a kid forced to do things he dislikes. “I can’t understand! She… Why would she…?”

“Because, Lu Han, you’re the single most important person to her,” Mrs. Lee replied softly.

Lu Han felt like a rug has been pulled under his feet, causing him to stumble backwards onto the couch. Jaw slack, he stared at Mrs. Lee in disbelief. He blinked once, twice, several rapid times, and burst into a laugh. It was a frenzied, panicked laugh. Everything made sense to him now.

“So that last night I saw her… Did she say what…?”

She shook her head. “She only said it was an accident and a mistake.”

“Look, Lu Han, I know it’s too much for you to take right now but…”

“So that boy, he said his name is Lu Xing. He’s mine?” he interjected quickly.

The husband and wife exchanged glances then they nodded. Lu Han laughed stupidly again, forcing tears down his eyes and rolling down his cheeks. “He’s my son and you kept him away from me?”

“He’s not your son,” Xiao Shan’s voice said. The three of them looked up to the source to see her standing there, determined. “He’s my son and mine alone.”

“Xiao Shan…”

“Whatever my parents told you, it’s all in the past now. My life is with my son now. It doesn’t matter what his name is, he is not your son,” she told him flatly. She turned back to her parents and continued, “I’m flying back first thing in the morning tomorrow. Coming back here is a mistake, I know that now.”

“You’re not leaving here again. He is my son too and I want you two to stay.”

“Lu Han, I’ve made up my mind. It’s better if I leave and for you, just forget that you’ve ever met me today.”

Lu Han shook his head stubbornly. Even though deep inside, he knew her to be right, he couldn’t let her go again. And he couldn’t let the boy go, at least not without knowing him.

“I want to see him, Xing. I know he’s my son, Xiao Shan. I’ll let you go but please, let me talk to him.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is definitely way overdue. Been wanting to update but was down with a cold last week so here it is now~ It's not the best of my work, I can tell my readers. Still not getting my inspirations back due to a week's long of illness. TT.TT

But at least this provides some explanation. And with all the bad news circulating around EXO now. Makes me real sad... Let's all hope it'll end soon. And in the meantime, enjoy this chapter. I'll try to update another soon again. Hehe... ^^

 

P.S --> If you like this story, please support my other one as well. It's Baby Kyungsoo!!   #project365