Baby Don't Cry

The Third Wheel

 

 

Lu Han grasped the hand that was being offered to him and gave it a firm shake. He listened listlessly to the person standing in front of him as the older man congratulated him on his wedding. His mind wasn’t even on the reception at hand. Instead, he was watching his group of friends crashing into the bride’s room to have a group picture. His mother-in-law was standing nearby with his mom, chatting and laughing about something. His dad and father-in-law were shaking hands with another group of people who just arrived.

He frowned. For a family that seemed closely-knitted, his wife’s family was fast to get over the recently deceased daughter. It was barely half a year. Traditionally, Chinese scorned on a funeral this close to a wedding. It was considered a taboo. But neither of their families cared. In fact, the Lee family had insisted the wedding should be well underway.

There wasn’t even a funeral for Xiao Shan, Lu Han noted. They announced about her death on the obituaries but no one was told of the funeral details. Part of him was sad, enraged even, that her family should treat her like this. She may not have been the greatest daughter or sister but she deserved a proper last farewell. He didn’t even manage to say his good-byes. Then the next day, Mrs. Lee went on a vacation.

“Lu Han?” a voice snapped him out of his train of thoughts. He blinked several times before looking down at Mrs. Lee who had called him. Putting on a smile quickly, he nodded to show that he was listening.

“The dinner is about to start soon. Let’s go and get Ann,” Mrs. Lee told him softly, guiding him away from his friends who gathered around for another round of photo session.

He nodded in agreement. But when they came to the door to Ann’s waiting room, he came to a halt. Turning to Mrs. Lee, he asked, “Mrs. Lee, I…”

“Call me mom, Lu Han. We are family now,” she smiled kindly up at him. He returned it half-heartedly.

“Mom, there’s something I need to ask you… It’s about Xiao Shan.” The smile faltered and he knew he’s touched a sore subject. But he continued nevertheless, “I don’t believe that she would commit suicide. She has been doing so well all these times. Sure, she was a little down a few months back because of her mom’s death anniversary but she gets over it every time. Something must have happened that…”

“Lu Han…” Mrs. Lee cut him. He stopped short, his gaze worried and sad. She sighed deeply. It had bothered her so much that her other daughter had to sacrifice herself and her son-in-law was stuck with the guilt. Now that she knows she’s having a grandchild, it bothered her even more.

“I know… No, I understand, Lu Han. It’s hard for all of us as well. But she wanted you and Ann to be happy together. It’s her last wish, so honor her, Lu Han…”

“Mom, Xiao Shan she…”

“Lu Han, not now! Today’s your wedding, so let us not talk about this,” Mrs. Lee cut him again. She opened the door to lead him into the room.

Inside, Ann was going through the wedding album with his mom for the millionth time. She was particularly proud of the album, seeing how the dresses were flown in from Europe and they had the top photographer helped with the shooting. Ann has even already planned the honeymoon to Europe and the second wedding album to be taken there.

“I like this dress best,” Mrs. Lu gushed, pointing at one photo. She smiled excitedly; her eyes twinkled in a way much like her own son. “So when’s the honeymoon?”

“We’re planning maybe next month, once we settled everything here,” Ann replied gently but even from that, her excitement could be seen. Her mother-in-law beamed more, her youth radiated on the happy day.

“I’m so glad you’re a part of family now, Ann. You and Lu Han are perfect for each other.” Mrs. Lu held Ann’s hands on her and patted it assuredly. “Now that you’re a part of us, quickly give us a grandchild.”

Ann blushed at that request while Mrs. Lu laughed heartily. But Lu Han shook his head. He couldn’t believe it! This whole marriage is a farce, built on another’s life. How could all of them act as if nothing happened? Did they not care about Xiao Shan anymore, just because she’s no longer here?

He clenched his fists together, eyes closed. There were many things running though his head now but he forced them all to the back of his head. Slowly, he turned to look at his mother-in-law, his eyes slightly damp. Drawing a shaky breath, he asked, “She chose this, right? Xiao Shan did this so everyone could be happy.”

He exhaled and his voice trembled as he continued. “She’s always so selfless, putting others before her.”

“She cares about us, Lu Han. This is her choice,” Mrs. Lee answered with finality. ‘Especially you, Lu Han, she loves you more than anyone else.’

“Was… was she in pain?” he asked more, a single tear finally rolled down his eye but he hastily wiped it away before Ann or his mom caught it.

Mrs. Lee shook her head. “She’s in a better place now, Lu Han. And if she’s still here, I know she wants you to be happy with Ann.”

“I never wanted it to be like this. I could prevent this.”

“I know, Lu Han. You’re a good man.”

Lu Han stared at the elder woman for a moment. Then, like a child accepting defeat, he nodded, and put a smile on his face again. It was as if nothing had happened at all as he walked over to the other two.

She watched the happy picture in front of her. ‘There are so many things you should know, Lu Han, about Xiao Shan. But she chose this for you. If this had been your wedding with her, you can give her the happiness she deserves. But she’s like the little mermaid… Turned into morning foams on your wedding day…’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couln't help but to include this title and metaphor. I really like the story 'The Little Mermaid', and love the song 'Baby Don't Cry' when I first heard the song. And because I'm sure some readers would be curious about Lu Han & Ann, I wrote this to show his feelings after he learnt about the incident. I really think he's a good man. ^^ (even in real life)

Thank you everyone for reading, commenting & reading~