Enter Uncle Kris

The Third Wheel

 

 

(A week later…)

Kris shuffled out of the airport, his eyes scanned for the exit, and being a head taller than others; he easily enough found his way around. Someone shoved him from behind when he stopped to check the sign board. He turned to shoot daggers at that person and sure enough, that person scurried away.

When he confirmed that he’s not lost, he proceeded to the arrival hall, pulling his suitcase behind him. Some women that he walked past gave him some appreciative glances but he ignored them, his mind only on getting the hell out of the place. He came to a stop at the taxi stand and pulled out a piece of paper with an address scrawled untidily on it. Studying the address, he waited in line. There were only a few more passengers in front of him so he pulled out his phone and switched it on, checking if he has any messages.

He received a voicemail from his dad, asking him to give the older man a call once he safely touched down in Beijing. Chuckling to himself, he made a call.

It was late evening in Beijing so he knew it’s going to be past midnight. He didn’t expect his dad to be waiting by the phone, they have gone way past that, and being the older generation with cell phones his dad would have turned off the phone before going to bed. True enough, he was directed to the voice call.

“Hey, dad, it’s me, Kris. I’ve reached the airport and I’m getting a cab now. I’ll call you again when I get to the hotel and when you wake up. Bye.”

Kris ended the call and pocketed his phone. The man in front of him got into a taxi and left. When the next taxi got in front of him, he casually climbed into the vehicle and handed the slip of paper to the driver. “Take me to that address.”

*

Xing made a face while his mother was busy coaxing him to eat this yucky green stick they called celery. He shook his head stubbornly and folded his arms together. “I hate it!”

Xiao Shan sighed impatiently. She put down the fork with celery stuck at its pitches and said firmly, “Lu Xing, if you don’t finish this, you’re not getting any ice-creams or TV.”

He opened his mouth to retort that he didn’t want them anyway but she added more, “And I’m taking Donald away.” His argument came out in a short shriek of horror.

“No! Donald stays with Xing!” He grabbed the duck from a nearby chair and engulfed it into his arms as if he’s protecting it.

“Then you eat this,” she said shortly. It’s the end of the negotiation.

“Mommy is evil…” he grumbled out and took a bite of the green stick that he hated so much. She smiled at his innocent remark and his unwillingness to let his duck go even when he’s chewing noisily at his food.

“Mommy loves Xing…” she replied in a sing-song and ruffled his hair, earning a giggle-whine from him.

From behind, a soft chuckle could be heard and they both turned. Lu Han was standing by the door. She put down the food and after giving a short instruction to Xing to finish the food, she walked over to him. Her voice was in a harsh whisper when she pulled him aside.

“Why are you here every day?”

“I’m here to see him. And I took leave at the office until every matter is settled.”

“What matters? I thought I told you clearly that Xing is not yours and he’s coming with me.”

He sighed, exhausted. He hasn’t had a good night sleep for the past week. Work was pilling in the office with his secretary and chief manager calling every two hours to consult. Ann still was not getting any better. Between going to the hospital and visiting Xing, he really didn’t have time to rest and consider about the situation in hand.

“Xiao Shan, I know Xing is happy. That’s all I need to know. I will never take him away from you.”

The glare on her face softened slightly but not enough to lower her guard. She narrowed her eyes, suspicion clearly written on her face. Ever since he’s found out about Xing, he has not asked about that fateful night and how it all happened. It was almost as if he had known all along. And he never asked anything about her, merely questions related to Xing. If he didn’t want his son, then what are his intentions?

“Look, Xiao Shan. As crazy as it sounds, I only want the best for Xing. And it’s with you. Although I want him to be with me, I couldn’t be any more selfish than I am now. He’s your life now, I know that.”

She finally exhaled a soft sigh of relief. “Thank you, Lu Han.”

He smiled at her, noticing maybe for the very first time since he knew her that a tender happiness was radiating from her. There was a source of sunshine that outshone the gloomy clouds of hers and everyone knew it’s the little ray of sunshine they all called the ‘Little Prince’. Even when he was with his boy, he realized his worries and fatigue were slowly being washed away.

Lu Han bent down and pulled Xiao Shan into his arms, giving her a long overdue hug. Shocked, she didn’t react to it, simply standing still and allowed to be hugged.

“Thank you, Xiao Shan. I think that I owe it all to you, for everything that you have done for me. You gave me Ann and now you gave me Xing.” He pulled apart and looked at her, his eyes sincere. “And I’m sorry too. If I had known, I would have done something earlier, to stop you from leaving. I would have done something to make you happier.”

“I already have Xing, Lu Han,” she replied carefully to which he nodded. But he pulled her in for another small hug.

“Whatever it is, I’m glad that you’re ok. I never quite forgive myself for what happened.”

“I…” she opened to answer but was interrupted when Xing’s tiny excited voice piped up.

“Can Xing have a hug too?” They looked down to see him beaming back, his hands outstretched upwards.

A blush crept up Xiao Shan’s face as she turned to look back at Lu Han. He was sheepishly laughing at the innocence of that request. But the look on Xing’s face was expectant, hands still held out. Giving in to the silent plea, Lu Han bent down to scoop his son up. He whooped in joy, hugging the neck tightly and turned to his mom in his father’s arms, still smiling. She smiled and leaned forward to give Xing a kiss on the cheek and caressed his hair.

It would have been a perfect picture, Lu Han mused silently. But he knew it was the wrong model.

The bell rang before any of them could say anything. And Xing burst out screaming, almost deafening Lu Han in the process. “DOOR…!”

He has learnt just two days ago that the boy was obsessively fascinated with ringing door bells and telephone, and was hell bent in answering them as well.

Xing wriggled in Lu Han’s hold, signaling him to go forth and answer the door. The older man obliged, seeing no sense to deny the boy the fun. He shook his head when one servant had come out to answer, dismissing her to return to her work so he could let Xing open the door.

Lu Han bent down to let Xing down. The boy grabbed the door knob and swung it open. There was a stranger at the door, dressed in casual clothes and blonde hair. He was about to ask if he could help when Xing yet again burst out screaming and jumped forward to hug the man’s legs. His eyes widened in disbelief.

Kris looked down from his majestic height at the man in front of him. In a way, he’s looking down at him. No one needs to say anything; he knows who that person is. So you’re the jerk, whom Xiao Shan likes,

“Hi, are you looking for someone?” Lu Han asked with uncertainty.

“This is Uncle Kris!” Xing answered loudly. He looked past Lu Han and shouted more, “Mommy, Uncle Kris is here!”

Who’s Uncle Kris?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone's asking for Kris, so here he is!!! Lolx.. All the characters are gathering now. It's not a really long chapter but it's in my head so I've got to get it out :P

Comments, upvotes & subcribers are welcomed~ ^^