The Last Day

The Third Wheel

 

 

Lu Han jumped to his feet when he saw the black Benz came to a stop in front of him. From the tinted black window, he could make out the silhouette of Xiao Shan as the driver got out of the car to open the door for his miss. But the girl had got out before the older man reached the door.

Lu Han stood still in his spot, for a moment, his mind drew a blank.

Xiao Shan had dressed up for the first time in the years he had known her. Not that she ever wears anything ugly; she was always wearing something nice during dinner functions. But it’s the first time he has seen her looking beautiful out for just a normal ‘rendezvous’.

Here she was, wearing a pure white sun dress with matching bag and he was in his usual plain tee and faded jeans.

“Lu Han..?” Xiao Shan’s voice broke his trance. Snapping out of his daze, he quickly rearranged his face into a bright smile.

“Wow, you’re overdressed,” he teased.

Xiao Shan answered that teasing with a short smile. “I don’t get to dress up often. My mom bought me this dress last year and I still haven’t worn it yet.”

Lu Han looked down to the shabby clothes that he had worn out. When she called earlier, she had clearly said she only wanted to talk. He obviously didn’t read between the lines, why should he, so he just put on whatever clothes he first laid eyes on in his closet and turned up at the meeting point.

“I don’t think I’m dressed to match you.” Now he felt silly.

“It’s alright, we’re just going to walk around, no big deal,” she assured him and without so much as waiting for his reply, she had started ahead.

Lu Han trotted after her. “So what is it that you want to talk about?”

Xiao Shan tilted her head to look at the guy beside her. She has a list of things she had wanted to do with Lu Han on the last day she’s ever seeing him again but she hardly knows where to begin. Turning to look down at her hands where she was carrying her handbag and a large paper bag, she smiled sadly at the thought. She has wasted so much time.

Finally, she said, “There is this movie I have wanted to watch but couldn’t get anyone to watch with me.” That wasn’t a lie. There wasn’t anyone who would watch anything with her, and Lu Han knows it. “Will you go with me?”

She took out a pair of tickets from her bag and showed it to him. He came to a halt, staring at the tickets in confusion.

“You ask me out to go to a movie with you?” Lu Han wasn’t quite sure he heard her right because she would never ask him out for anything, unless it was pertaining to Ann.

“There isn’t anyone else,” she replied slowly.

And Lu Han’s face fell. Of course there wasn’t anyone else and she knows it would hit a soft spot in him. Maybe he wasn’t in the mood, after what happened but Lu Han being the ever so nice guy; she knew he would say yes.

“I thought you wanted to talk about something important?” he prompted again.

“I did,” she answered and resumed walking. He followed along, eyes trained on her. “But can we do it after the movie? I really want to watch this.”

He sighed. “Ok, let’s go.”

“You really have to change that habit of yours of not being able to say no to people. It’s a weakness.” He stopped again. “But it is also what’s good about you, Lu Han.” Xiao Shan smiled at him, a true genuine one. “Thank you.”

Xiao Shan stared at the large screen blankly as the movie drew to an end. It was a great movie judging from the excited whispers from the couples around her. But nothing seemed to register into her brain. All she knew was that Lu Han was sitting beside her, like how a boyfriend does on a movie date. The only difference was that he’s fast asleep, head lolling with slightly opened mouth.

She couldn’t blame him. Guys were never designed to watch chick flicks. And she wasn’t really a good company to be with. Besides, he has seen this movie with Ann just three days ago. Ann posted a raving review on her social media page along with their picture at the cinema. The movie was awesome but not good enough to capture his attention for the second time in a week.

Sighing softly to herself, she turned to wake him up. It’s going to be a long day.

*

“Xiao Shan, I’m so sorry. I’ll make it up to you.” Lu Han apologized profusely from the moment he walked out of the cinema till when they stepped out of the mall and into the late afternoon street. “Are you angry at me?”

Xiao Shan stopped in her tracks. Shaking her head, she turned and answered him, “You’re tired, and I know that. After all that fight with your parents and I’m pretty sure you must be real hung-over from last night. Don’t worry about it.”

“Gosh, I must have looked like an idiot, haven’t I? I slept through the entire movie! Did I snore?” She chuckled slightly and shook her head again. When he saw that she was no longer mad at him, he let out a small smile, his shoulders relaxed. “At least let me make it up to you. Is there anything you want? I’ll buy it as an apology.”

She considered his words. There were a lot of things she really wanted from him, his heart included, but there wasn’t much he could afford to give her. She looked down at her watch for time. It was already into the early evening. She has booked a table for dinner at a nearby hotel restaurant so they have time to kill.

She looked up and made up her mind.

“That one,” She pointed towards a far-off direction, at a large circular structure. “Let’s go for that one.”

His gaze followed the direction of her finger and paled when he saw what she has decided on. He tried to gulp down the saliva that has suddenly got caught in his throat.

Xiao Shan wanted to ride on the Ferris wheel!

Lu Han forced his eyes shut together, so tight, he’s most likely gluing them shut for eternity, while his hands shook uncontrollably. The enclosed car lurched in an unsteady rhythm as he felt his body slowly leaving the solid ground.

So this is what it feels like to die, he thought stupidly and muttered some random prayer under his breath.

Xiao Shan took in the scenic view of the park in front of her. It’s her first time at the amusement park, most probably will be her last time too. The place was crowded with families and couples enjoying their time and having fun with various rides. In the cars adjacent to them, couples were blissfully in each other’s embrace while enjoying the warmth each other provided.

She turned to the boy beside her to make a comment but stopped when she saw how pale he has become. Cold sweats were also beginning to form on his forehead. It was most likely he’s going into hyperventilation mode.

“Are you alright, Lu Han?” she asked softly.

Lu Han forced his eyes open but his eyes remained strangely glued to the one tiny dirt spot on the floor. Nodding to assure her, he replied, his voice several pitch higher, “I’m alright!”

“You don’t have to look if you’re afraid, I know you’re acrophobia.”

“Is this your punishment for me?” he asked meekly.

She laughed softly at that question. Shaking her head, she replied, “And why would I do that?”

It’s just that you have never been here with Ann before.

He nodded more but was already distracted by how high they have reached. Quickly closing his eyes again, he started another string of prayers under his breath.

Xiao Shan inched closer of him, feeling the gentle warmth she knew he always radiated. Slowly, she took his hand into hers. Beneath, she felt him going tense but did nothing to reject her. And she looked out of the window again. By now, he has stopped shaking.

“They say real man has no fears. But a true man is not perfect. Fear makes him humble and fear makes him care for things dear to him.” She looked down at their intertwined hands. “You are not perfect, which is why you will care for things dear to you. Promise me that, Lu Han.”

Lu Han opened his eyes again and this time, their eyes met. His large brown orbs were a stark contrast from hers. There was a boundless emotion he saw in her but couldn’t quite pinpoint it. If he had seen many good-byes he may have known but Lu Han never quite suffered much separation in his life.

“I promise, Xiao Shan.” He didn’t know why he said that but it had seemed important to her so he just went along with it.

“Thank you.” She withdrew her hands and looked away again. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lolx... Alright, so Kris is not appearing that soon. At least not in the next few chapters. I really wanted to introduce Kris quickly but need to write up some closure for Xiao Shan & Luhan. Happy New Year to all my readers again~!! ^^

One of my readers raised this question so I'll clarify here. The plan is that Xiao Shan must be dead in everyone's mind in order to let Luhan marries Ann. She wouldn't be dead necessarily. Just to let everyone believes that she is.

@acenana: Thank you for reading~ Though Kris is not in this chapter. Keke

@pinkgirl: WoW~ Your comment is really long, and it made me really happy reading it. Hehe... 

@chokunay: Yes, let find Kris~ 

@sunny234: Thanks for reading... It made my day. XD

@BlackIris: New reader, yeah!! Welcome and thanks for reading.. ^^

@babynicolas94: Thanks for the comment.. ^^

 

I noticed no one is rooting for Luhan... Is there no luhan stans here? Hmmm... Anyway, comments, subcribe and upvotes if you like this story. (m0m)