Introduction (Part 2)

Beastly Blood

2 Years Later (One Month Before My First Year in University):

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring..................

I slowly put the telephone back down.

Doojoon walked into the room. "Jimi? What's wrong?"

Tears filled my eyes. "Oppa.....Yoseob's disappeared."

"What?" Worry filled his eyes. "What do you mean? What happened?"

"He didn't come to school three days ago. I thought he might be sick or something, but he didn't come to school the day after, and the day after that........I-I tried calling his house, at different times every day, but nobody picks up."

Tears fell down my cheeks. "T-the last time anyone saw him, he was doing his part-time job."

Yoseob had a part-time job at a bar. The pay was good, and the customers were interesting, he said. I was always worried about him, though. The bar wasn't exactly in the safest part of Seoul.

"W-what if something bad happened to him on his way home from work? What if he's kidnapped, or...or hurt?"

Doojoon hugged me. "Don't worry, it's gonna be okay." He insisted. "I'll start looking for him. Maybe we can go to the police and form a search party."

"Y-you can't go, oppa. Y-you have work to do." I sniffed. Doojoon also had work, since he was just about to enter into this third year in Seoul University. He needed to save up money for the tuition. "You're busy."

"I don't care." He pressed. "I'll start looking for him tonight, okay?"

Anything to get that frown off your face, Jimi. You have no idea how much it kills me to see you cry like this.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Doojoon didn't find Yoseob.

I was in a near-panic state. I cried myself to sleep every night. Instead of enjoying the summer sun like other people during the school break, I was up at four every morning to start searching for Yoseob. We hadn't called the police yet.

A week later, I was standing in front of the phone, working myself up to lead to the hysterical, panicked phone call.

I jumped in surprise when the phone suddenly rang.

I recognized that number. I knew it off by heart, as well as my own number. It was Yoseob.

I grabbed the phone and nearly ripped the cord out. "Hello?" I gasped breathlessly.

"Jimi?" I knew that voice anywhere. Sweeter than chocolate, fluffier than clouds, lighter than a feather. Yoseob's cute, sweet voice made my bones soft and my muscles weak, just like he did the first time I met him that fateful day many years ago when I was a child. 

"Yoseb! Oh, Yoseob! I missed you so much! Oppa and I were looking everywhere for you! We were worried sick! Where were you?"

"I was just really sick, that's all." Yoseob laughed.

I immediately knew something was wrong. Yoseob's laugh sounded weak, hollow, and most definitely forced. That wasn't the laugh I knew. Yoseob's laugh was full and rich and real, and bounced off the walls and made it seem like a choir was singing. He had a laugh full of giddy happiness and pure joy.

"Yoseob.....are you okay?" You sat down shakily on the couch.

"I'm fine." His voice said. I knew something was wrong. 

"Alright then......why don't you come over?"

"I can't......sorry."

"What? Why?"

"I.....I'm sorry, Jimi."

"Why, Yoseob? What's going on?"

"We.......we can't be friends anymore."

My heart sunk into my stomach, and I gripped the phone tighter. "W-what are you talking about? Don't joke around, Yoseob. You know I hate jokes like that."

"It's not a joke, Jimi. We can't be friends anymore. I'm sorry."

"Why?" I choked out. "Why, Yoseob? We've been friends for eight years! How come we can't be friends anymore?"

"Things are different now. I'm different." Yoseob said bluntly, coldly. "I've changed, Jimi. It's about time you do too. Forget about me, move on, make new friends. It's over."

"B-but, Yoseob......." I whimpered.

"Don't call me anymore, Jimi."

"Yoseob, wait........."

"Goodbye."

The line went dead.

I buried my face in my hands and started to cry.

What did I do? What have I done? I did nothing wrong.

Why was God so cruel? He gave me my haunting gift, then gave me a beautiful friend, then took that friend away? Why did He do that to me? Why was I being punished?

I quickly reverted back to the ghost girl I was before Yoseob came into my life. Quiet as the grave, paler and sicker than death. I woke up screaming and crying from nightmares and dark rings began to form around my eyes again. Even Doojoon couldn't cheer me up, no matter how much he tried.

Yoseob was gone. My ray of sunshine, my happiness, was gone.

One day, just two days before my start at Seoul University, I woke up shaking from a nightmare of a hideous witch with a hooked nose and mottled green skin, her long fingers reaching out to scratch at my throat before I managed to wake up.

I walked up to my window. It was a strange night. The sky was dark, without clouds or stars. A ghostly wind swept the place. The moon was full, but a dark, deep crimson red. A full blood moon.

I stared up at that dark red circle in the sky. I felt a curious tingle on my fingertips. I thought of Yoseob.

"Whatever I have done, please, I'm begging you, forgive me." I whispered to the full moon. "Please....I'll do anything. I'll even go to Hell. Just please.....please bring Yoseob back to me."

I should have learned that all wishes come with a price, all actions come with a consequence.

Yoseob did come back to me, just as I had wished for...........

And, just like I promised, I found myself in the deepest parts of Hell..................

Let me go back to the beginning and start over.

It was the day after the full blood moon......................................