Leaving

Beastly Blood

I yawned and woke up from bed, even though it was seven in the evening.

I had to quickly get used to switching up day and night times. I slept during the day and stayed up all night, since none of the creatures I lived with could stand the light of day.

Yoseob once again threatened Kikwang and Junhyung to kick them out if they ever went near me when I was sleeping ever again, so now I had the bedroom all to myself. Well, most of the time.

Every so often Kikwang or Junhyung would sleep over, and when Yoseob found out he would kick them out of the room and sleep with me instead. Every so often, Dongwoon would quietly walk into my room, sit in a corner of the wall near my bed, and watch me fall asleep. I wonder why.

I noticed that Dongwoon had dark, purple-ish bruises under his eyes, eye-circles like the ones I used to have when I had nightmares. Once, I asked him "Dongwoon, don't you sleep?"

Dongwoon shook his head. "I never sleep. It's....too dangerous."

"Why?" I pressed. Dongwoon looked uncomfortable and shook his head again. "Dongwoon....please?" I begged.

"W-well....it-it's hard to....control myself....and if I fall asleep, I might....lose control....it's hard to keep my sanity." He whispered in shame.

This morning -- or rather, this evening -- I walked downstairs to the kitchen where Yoseob was making me breakfast.

"The usual?" Yoseob asked. I giggled and nodded. "Of course, Seobie."

Yoseob beamed at me and slid a ready-made plate of eggs, bacon, sausages, and toast towards me. "I thought so."

"Aww, you always know what I want, Yoseob."

I stared at the thick curtains covering the windows thoughtfully. "Yoseob.....when will the Jokers leave?"

"The Jokers?" Yoseob frowned. "I don't know. Not likely very soon. They stick to Vampires like glue."

"I miss.....I miss oppa." I whispered.

Yoseob nodded, his expression softening. "I know. I miss him too, I haven't seen him in a while." I'll do anything to get that frown off of your face, Jimi.

Suddenly, I had the greatest idea. I jumped up from my chair. "I need Dongwoon!"

"H-huh?" Yoseob asked, startled.

"DONGWOON!" I yelled.

Within half a second, Dongwoon appeared by my side. He looked so happy to be called by me that I could almost swear I saw a puppy dog tail waggging behind him.

"Yes?" He asked eagerly. "What does Jimi want me to do?" He looked like he would willingly jump over the moon if I asked him to.

"Um...you know the Jokers outside?" I asked, opening the curtain slightly to take a peek. When I saw the pointy green nose, I quickly shut the curtains again.

"Yes."

"Can you please....get rid of them for me?" I asked.

"Of course! Whatever Jimi wants!" Dongwoon took a deep breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, they were a scarlet red, and his fangs slowly started growing.

Yoseob quickly appeared at my side and pushed me behind him. I could see his own eyes flashing scarlet as he fought over his bloodlust for being so close to me.

Dongwoon opened his mouth, and an inhuman, frightening roar echoed out of him. The shelves rattled and the house groaned and glass shattered.

Then it was over, and Dongwoon looked very pleased with himself. "I did it."

I looked out of the window. He did. There was no Jokers in sight. The force of his scream must have pushed them away.

"Thank you so much, Dongwoon!" I squealed. I would have hugged him, but being a Newborn he'd probably sink his fangs into me, so instead I patted his head. He beamed at the touch and sighed happily.

"Sure, good job....except you didn't have to destroy the house." Yoseob muttered, glancing at the broken glass warily. "Jimi, be careful not to cut yourself."

"Alright." I gingerly stepped around the shattered glass and walked towards the front door.

Junhyung and Kikwang appeared from the sound. "What the hell is that Newborn doing?" Junhyung mumbled, apparently still half-asleep.

"He chased away the Jokers for me." I said, grabbing my boots and pulling them on.

Kikwang snapped wide awake in a second. "Woah, Jimi -- where are you going? What are you doing?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm going home." I said.

Yoseob and Dongwoon appeared too. "Jimi...you're leaving, like....right NOW?" Yoseob asked, shocked.

"Well, of course. I have to go home."

"But....I thought this is your home." Yoseob said in a small voice.

"It is." I said, smiling sweetly at him. "But I have to go back to my other home, the one with Doojoon oppa. I also have to go to school. I can't believe I missed my first days in Seoul University! I won't be able to come back here as often, but maybe I'll visit once in a while."

"Wait....y-you're leaving?" Junhyung asked in a disbelieved voice.

"Can't you stay?" Dongwoon asked quietly.

"I'm sorry, but I have to go back to my oppa." I said, smiling. "Besides, I don't really belong here, do I? Well, come visit me, Yoseob. Or I'll visit you! I'm so glad I have my best friend back! Goodbye, everyone!"

I opened the door and slipped out into the night.

The creatures stared at the open door after me, not caring about the icy cold wind blowing at them.

Yoseob walked over and shut the door. It made a loud, hollow, strangely empty sound in the room.

"Well, it's true." He muttered sadly. "We're Vampires, Dhampirs, and Newborns. She's a human. She....really doesn't belong."

Truthfully, he felt like a piece of his heart was missing. When I wasn't there with them, my bright smile filling the room with a warm light that they didn't mind, they felt empty and broken.

Dongwoon disappeared in half a second, and Yoseob assumed he must have gone back to the basement cellar to crouch in the darkness alone in his thoughts. Frankly, he wanted to do that too. But this was his house, and Dongwoon left one hell of a mess to clean up.

"Forget this ." Junhyung hissed, sounding more upset than angry. "I'm going back to bed."

Kikwang sighed unhappily. "I thought Jimi was going to stay with us forever....."

Quiet and remorse, the creatures left one by one.

Yoseob frowned as he gently started to clean up the glass on the floor.

This mansion is going to feel so empty without you, Jimi. You have no idea how much you mean to all of us. I don't know how I'm going to live the rest of my eternity without you by my side...............