Chapter 19

Hiding My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kid, there’s something I should tell you.” Mr. Choi made a serious expression when he was talking to his son in his office room at the hospital. “This is about Amber’s step-sister, Victoria.” He sighed, biting his bottom lip as he paused his words. “I can’t tell Amber about this one, but I know you can.”

“Dad, so, you want me to tell Amber that her sister… No, I can’t..” Siwon shook his head

“So, what’s your plan?” Mr. Choi asked his son

“I don’t know. Let me figure out how not to hurt her.” Siwon told his father and then, he got out of the room. He closed the door and leaned his head on it, then, he walked through the corridor. He stopped in front of Victoria’s room and he decided to let his body enter the room.

“Hi.” He greeted her with smile on his face, she was very week. She had no hair because of chemotherapy, he approached her by sitting next to her. “How’s your feeling?”

“I’m not sure.” She responded. “But I’m glad she has graduated from university.” She continued and gave him a nice smile 

“Yeah, finally.” Siwon added as he nodded

“Thank you so much for everything.” Victoria sent her gratitude to Siwon. “It’s all because of you. You take care of her, you taught her very well and I won’t forget how you help me through this.”

He took Victoria’s hand, wrapping it with both of his hands. “She’s worked hard and you’re very strong until this time. I adore both of you… I love you both, just so you know.”

“I don’t have much time. I don’t know if I could go to her graduation ceremony.” Victoria told Siwon in desperation

“Sshh, you will see her. We will go to the ceremony, all of us. Mom, Dad, me, you and Kris. We’re all family.” Siwon tightened his grip around Victoria’s hand, “You have to be strong, is that okay?”

She nodded in excitement, Amber was the only reason why she could live until now. Watching her graduation was Victoria’s dream, she always knew that Amber would reach her dream as a doctor.

“AMBER!!! Help me to prepare food!!!” Mrs. Choi’s voice filled out the whole house, Amber was in her bedroom just being lazy after her last test in university. She didn’t want to do anything except for sleeping, snacking and watching television.

She rolled her eyes after hearing her mother’s voice from the kitchen. She scoffed, “Alright, alright.” She jumped off the bed then, got out of her bedroom. Rushing through the downstairs and it was at the same time when Siwon appeared from the main door after his work.

“Oh, hey!” Amber greeted him first with her big grin

Siwon replied her with his warm smile and calm attitude. “Hi. Is there something cool? You sound so hype.”

“No.” She approached her brother and then, she let herself bring his bag. “I mean yes, I will prepare food for you and dad.”

“You prepare food?” He creased the skin of his forehead

“Yes!”

He sighed, smiling while watching her. He didn’t have the heart to tell her about Victoria and how his dad and the staff had given up. So, Siwon brought her into his hug, he tightened the embrace and buried his face on her shoulder.

“What’s wrong with you?” She was confused. “Starving? You know I won’t fall for your aegyo.”

Siwon smiled a bit then, he broke the hug. He pinched her nose, “Why are you so stinky? You haven’t taken a bath since Kris declared that you passed the test?”

“Stop it! You’re not funny!”

“AMBERR!! WHERE ARE YOU?!?! Help me!” All of a sudden, their mother shouted from the kitchen

“Yes, mom!! I’m meeting a monster here!!” Amber shouted back

“Who’d you call monster?!” Siwon replied

“Siwon’s home?? Stop bothering your sister, Siwon!! Help me, both of you!!”

“I’m not bothering her, mom!!” Siwon held her hand and dragged her to the kitchen to help their mother

“He told me that I was stinky and he pinched my nose. Look, my nose is red.” Amber told Mrs. Choi about what he did to her when they were in the kitchen

“How many times should I tell you, Siwon? Stop teasing your sister. You’re not a little kid anymore.” Mrs. Choi scolded him and Amber stuck out her tongue for Siwon

“But she’s still a baby.” Then, his hand wrapped Amber’s neck, dragging her as he ruffled her hair in front of Mrs. Choi, making the old lady just shake her head seeing her kids just being kids.

“Let go of me!” Amber punched his body and after Siwon let her go, she hurriedly hugged her mother, leaving Siwon’s position.

After that, they all waited for Mr. Choi to go home and they all ate dinner together. Both Siwon and Mr. Choi didn’t even bring up the topic of Victoria on the table. They all only prepared for graduation ceremony next week.

“Have you practiced for your speech?” Siwon asked his sister in her room. He was the only one in this house who knew Amber was the best alumni and she would make speech in front of everyone

“Should I?” She only switched the channel on television on the bed while her brother was very concerned about her

“Stop being nonchalant.” Siwon poked her forehead. “You will make your mom and dad proud, and Victoria too.”

“Victoria will come??” Suddenly she stopped switching the channel and she looked up at Siwon’s face

“If you wish Victoria came, I would grant what you wish.” Siwon told her without seeing her face

She bit her inner cheeks, she snuggled to his body and hugged him. “Do you have something to say? About Victoria… I’m ready. You and dad have worked hard, I appreciate that a lot. She suffers, her problem is much bigger than mine.” She paused, she tried not to cry again. “Did she say she wants to leave?” She gulped and closed her eyes

“Err…” Siwon was struggling how to say this to her. He tried to good words to explain this but it seemed it was too late, she already knew it from his attitude. He let go of her hug, trying to face her as he cupped her head. “You know… Please, just don’t cry in front of her.”

“I can’t do that. I’m not that strong.”

“But you have to.” He insisted because that was Victoria’s wish, she didn’t want to see Amber’s tears when she leaved. “I’ll be by your side.”

“Is that her last wish?” She asked, wrapping her hand around his neck. “Fine then..”

 

==

 

“Kim Hyuna… Bae Suzy… Jung Nicole… Ham Eunjung….”

One by one got on passing the podium to receive the honor as the graduates. Amber was still at the back, waiting in the queue for her turn. Her hands and her lips were shaking, she kept searching for her family who sat on the reserved seats. Siwon waved his hand up high so that Amber could see them all, she smiled. She found Victoria’s figure in the middle of her family. Amber waved her hand to her family, Victoria noticed her and waved her hand for Amber.

“Choi Amber Josephine.”

“Oh my God, it’s me.” Amber mumbled stupidly as the crowd clapped their hands for her as the best graduate of the year. She got on the stage, receiving the charter from the Head of University. She shook each of the Professor’s hand, including Kris.

“Hi.” Kris whispered when their eyes met with each other. “Congratulations.” He pulled her by shaking her hand and he gave her one passionate kiss on her lips in front of everyone. She almost fell but gladly, his hand supported her by wrapping her hip. The Professors were shocked, the audiences were in awe. “Just relax.” He hissed

“You just made me uneasy right now.” She replied her with blushed cheeks

“It’s your time for commencement speech.” He gave her a calm smile. “I’m so proud of you.”

She nodded slowly, she inhaled deeply as her heart pounded fast. “Ahem..” She cleared , the spotlight was on her figure. “Good afternoon, everyone. I had many experiences during college period, ups and downs. I fell down many times and the world doesn’t even care how many times I fall, but life is an improvisation. You have no idea what’s going to happen next and you are mostly just making things up as you go along. I was Liu Amber once and I’m Choi Amber right now, but I’m still Amber. It’s just finally I got my goals. I graduate, I have family, I have happiness. It’s just about the time. I just hope each one of you guys has completed one of your goals today. Congratulations, students. We graduate!”

All people cheered, she smiled. The graduates threw their hats up to the sky and Amber got off of the podium, Kris guided her to get off of the stage.

“You heard how stupid my words were when I was giving my speech.” She told Kris when they both went through the downstairs

“Hahahaha… Life is improvisation?” Kris replayed her speech

“You know I just gathered quotes that I know. I’m bad at speech.” She shrugged and Kris just tightened his grip around her waist

After the Head of University ended up the ceremony, the graduates gathered with their family. Amber ran to her family along with Kris, Victoria was on the wheelchair waiting for Amber. She hugged the older girl when their eyes met. “Unnie!”

“I’m so proud of you. Congratulations.” Victoria congratulated her. “I can’t believe my baby is a doctor right now.” She kissed Amber’s eyes warmly

“Thank you so much for coming.” Amber said in their hug

The older girl broke their hug and she caressed Amber’s cheek. “Responding your speech, my goal is watching you graduate from University. I’m very glad to be able to reach it.”

“Oh..” She couldn’t help it, her tears threatened to fall down but she tried hard to hold it. “It’s cool, right?” She tried to smile and giggle although she forced it

Victoria giggled too, “Yeah, something cool..”

Then, Amber looked up to her parents. “Mom, dad.” She called them both and they hugged their one and only daughter. They were very proud because she was the best graduate of the year, they didn’t need any gift but just the best for her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter