Chapter 15

Hiding My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Son, I met your intern in the elevator.” Siwon’s father called him through extension phone in his room

“My intern?” Siwon who was reading some patients’ medical records didn’t really focus on his father’s words

“I saw her and I thought a bit about her…  She kinda looks like you.” His father chuckled when he was talking about Amber with Siwon on the phone. “Very clumsy, messy, but, she looks smart, polite and nice.” He continued. “Her name is Amber, right?”

When his father said Amber’s name, he jolted. “Amber?!?! You met Amber?? She’s here???”

“Yeah, she wants to meet you.” His father added

“Meet me? But we didn’t make an appoint—“ All of a sudden, he remembered about something. Amber must’ve been wanted to meet Victoria and checked her condition, but he knew Victoria’s condition was worse than before. There was a nurse in her room and she said that Victoria was having blood vomiting right now. “Oh no… I mean.. Thanks, Dad.” He hurriedly hung up his phone and got out of his own room. He quickly saw Amber opening Victoria’s door, he wanted to prevent her to see Victoria vomiting blood but he was too late.

Amber had already seen it and all he could do was just turning her around and hugging her tightly. “No, please don’t see it.”

“Let go of me! Y-you.. You lied to me!! You lied to me!! Why?!!” Amber didn’t stop to punch his chest because she thought he lied to her about Victoria’s condition

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I intended to tell this to you but not now..” Siwon tightened his embrace towards Amber because the girl sobbed very hard. She couldn’t accept the reality that Victoria’s condition became worse and worse every single day, furthermore, she couldn’t be cured because they couldn’t find the matched bone marrow for her.

She couldn’t support her weight anymore, she was too weak to stand up until she dropped her body on the floor. Glad, Siwon could still hold her in his arms. She leaned her back on the wall while Siwon was on his knee and his thumb wiped her tears from her face. “We do this for you..”

She looked up at his face with her mixed up expression but more in desperate. “We? Who’s ‘we’?” She started to think about it while her eyes kept staring at Siwon’s. “It means… Kris lied to me too?” She asked him and without him answering her, only by his expression she could read it easily. “You’re both liars!!” She started to punch his chest again to push him away from her

“No, no, no, please, please, Amber, listen to me..” He struggled, trying to stop her but he couldn’t because she was too emotional right now. “We do this for you so that you can focus on you study.”

“What?? She’s sick, she’s dying and I never knew about that.. She’s my sister.. She’s the only one that I have…” She was still sobbing and Siwon didn’t stop to wipe her tears away. “You and Kris lied to me about her, telling me that she was fine, she was smiling and laughing everyday, but the truth is…” She was in despair remembering how Victoria suffered a lot. “I’m so stupid for believing you two..” She buried her face by the palms of her hands

“Amber, please..”

He started to approach her again but Amber prevented him to touch her. “Go away! Don’t touch me!” She looked up at his face, wiping her tears as she gulped and caught her breath.

“… Hey…” Siwon was still trying to convince her to stay and hear his explanation

Amber stood up and then, she ran away from him. Siwon was surprised because she acted all of a sudden, but he tried to chase after her as he kept calling out her name, “Amber!”

But when he almost reached her, a voice interrupted him from the distance. “Doctor Choi.”

He forced himself to stop his steps although he was vexed, a nurse called him because there were other patients who were waiting for him to be examined. He stomped his foot very hardly on the floor and then, turned around to see the nurse who called him.

“There are patients waiting for you, Doctor.” 

He heaved a sigh, biting his bottom lip as his hand pulled back his hair. “…Okay..”

 

==

It had been 9 in the night time, Kris just reached his house by parking his car in the garage. He thought maybe Amber had made dinner for them two, so, he just  whistled as bringing his documents and bag out of the car and he entered the house.

“Amber!” He called her name when he was wandering the house, but he got no response from the girl

Kris thought maybe Amber was in the bedroom studying about lectures, but when he opened the bedroom door, he didn’t find her figure sitting on the chair in front of the desk. So, he approached the bathroom slowly. He thought she was there, “Hey, Am. I’ll go in, okay?” He started to twirl the door knob, hoping she was there to scream or shout his name so that he was relieved.

He was preparing his ears for her shouting but no. He didn’t find her there, she wasn’t in the bathtub but somewhere that he didn’t know. He tried to recall what she said this afternoon, Amber said that she wanted to go to the hospital to talk about her thesis with Siwon. From that, he didn’t even try to call Siwon or Amber but he ran to his car again, driving it to the hospital where Siwon worked at.

He was in a rush to go to the third floor where Siwon’s room was at. He didn’t find any patient who waited for his examination, so, Kris just opened the door without even knocking on it. “Where’s she?”

Kris looked at the older guy who folded his hands and buried his face in it. Siwon lazily brought his head up to see Kris who was standing in front of the door of his office room. “What do you mean ‘where’s she’?”

“Amber. She’s with you, right?” Kris asked him again, he was sure that Amber was with Siwon somewhere in this hospital

“What??” Siwon was confused, he thought Amber went away from him to meet Kris because he knew Kris was her boyfriend now so, she needed him more to cheer her up. But, suddenly, Kris was here asking him where she was. “I thought she--- oh, !”  

“Wh-what’s the matter?” Kris was asking him again, he was so confused right now

“She knows about Victoria.” Siwon told Kris about that and in a sec, Kris widened his eyes trying to absorb what the older guy said to him. Siwon explained about what happened this afternoon at the hospital including how Amber could see Victoria’s condition. It was his fault not to watch over her so that the secret about Victoria’s condition had been unleashed. “Amber saw Victoria when she was having blood vomiting.”

“Oh, God.” Kris looked down at the floor as he thought how Amber felt about it when she was seeing her older sister

“And she knows Victoria can’t be cured.” Siwon added it and Kris was shocked. He couldn’t think anymore, he had a bad thought that Amber might kill herself now because she thought her life was useless. She had no hope, she had no family and why would she live any longer?

“We should find Amber now.” Kris suggested and Siwon agreed with him

 

==

Amber had no place to live, she thought getting back to Kris’s house was useless. Why did she live with a liar? She thought. She knew about Victoria’s condition, she knew there was no matched bone marrow for her sister.

She was walking in the middle of the crowd with no direction, Kris called her, Siwon called her but she didn’t answer their phone calls. She didn’t want to talk to them, furthermore, seeing their face. They had lied to her after all this time and she easily believed their words because she trusted them both. They were the only ones who cared about her a lot and she loved them both differently but now, her feeling was mixed up.

She walked across the street with blank expression and gaze, unaware of anything around her, unaware of people shouting and yelling to her in order that she didn’t across the street. She was confused, stupefied. All she noticed was only there was a light, it shone very brightly as it came to her closer than before and then, she realized something crashed her body. It was hard, she felt the pain, she could feel her blood drenching her clothes and it flew down from her head. She could still hear voices from people, she felt people surrounded her in the middle of the street, and even, she heard familiar voice calling her name in worries.

“…Siwon oppa… Kris…”

 

 

Both Siwon and Kris ran very fast in the hospital, calling Amber’s name over and over as her body was brought to the operation room by paramedics. Blood kept coming from her head and she had low blood pressure.      

“How’s her BP?!” Siwon yelled to the nurse

“It’s getting lower! She needs blood transfusion.” The nurse informed as she checked it

“Stay with me, Am. Stay with me!” Siwon said to Amber, holding her hand tightly as he ran along with the bed that brought Amber because the girl kept mumbling ‘oppa’ and it referred to Siwon. “You’re gonna be okay, you’re gonna be alright. I promise you.”

“Dad, Dad, c-can I, can I come in?” Siwon asked the medics who brought her heading to the surgery room

“We’re sorry, son but you haven’t been capable with the procedure yet. We’re gonna try our best. Please, wait outside.”

Siwon only could heaved a long sigh and waited outside with Kris who was as worried as him. They both couldn’t calm, they both couldn’t even sit and just stood up or wandered around.

Siwon was stressed out. “Gosh! She lost too much blood!”

“I’m sorry, hyung… I’m so sorry..” Kris wanted to cry but he couldn’t, he was too dizzy and he got shocked because of the scene before on the street when he was dri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter