9

Hiding My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber seemed energetic for today’s basketball practice, she gave her all in the field, making her friends and the coach look happy seeing her. Her passing was easy and fitted in for the other players, she could follow the others’ rhythm very well and it was totally different from the latest practice.

“Amber, you’re great!” Eunjung praised her works after finishing their practice, she wiped her sweat with her towel as she threw a bottle full of water for Amber to catch.

“It’s different from the last time, I’m sure we’ll win the next competition.” Suzy told everybody, spreading a smile on her face as she saw Amber

“Thanks, guys. I will work hard from now on.” Amber showed them her gratitude.

These days everyone thought that she seemed happy, bright and she was just like going back to her usual because they thought Amber always looked depressed after she knew about her sister’s disease. Maybe, her sister was going well right now but they didn’t ask her about it because they were afraid of saying the wrong words to her, so, they just kept their curiosity inside.

Before they were going back home, the basketball coach called Amber first to talk about something in his office room. She sat down in front of him with his desk was in the middle of them, she showed him her polite attitude and started the conversation with the coach.

The coach smiled brightly seeing her in front of his eyes, he folded his fingers and placed them on the desk. “It’s good seeing you’re like this again.” He told her and she followed his example to smile and bowed her head to him. “Is it because of that Professor?” He raised his eyebrows, teasing her just like he was always teasing Kris in the spare time

“Excuse me, Sir?” Amber knew what he meant but she acted like she was innocent in front of him

“Kris told me before that you were great in his class. Actually, you can have straight A for this semester if you are still keeping your good track just like this.” The coach informed her and she nodded, signaling she understood what he meant. “Look, every lecturer is talking about you everytime we’re on meeting. We all know you’re smart but the early of this semester you seemed unstable for your grades.”

“Sorry, Sir. I just got problems, so….” Amber paused her words

“I know, I know…. Actually, the reason why I call you here because you will face the last year very soon in this University and I just want you to study for your education, just focus on that thing. I know you like basketball but being a doctor is your dream, right?” The coach told Amber about it. As her basketball coach for these 3 years, he knew her a lot. He knew her passion for basketball but her dream as a doctor was much bigger than that. He just wanted to support her because she was precedent for the other students, she had big ambition and she was smart. It would be such a waste for the University if someone like her couldn’t get supported for her biggest dream.

When she got home, she kept thinking of what her coach said for her education. She loved basketball a lot and through that, she could canalize her talent but she had to remember about what she was looking for.

Studying in the living room as she was trying to solve the cases that Kris gave to her, she heaved a long sigh. Her eyes glanced at Kris and found him only reading some books which were very thick, making her want to puke as she saw the books that he held. She placed her chin on the table and played with her pen as she thought how to solve the questions. “Kris.”

“You’ve finished?” Without looking at her, he kept reading a thick science book

“You told everything about me to other lecturers?” Amber’s question made Kris place the book beside him, he saw her as he crossed his arms in front of his chest

“Okay, here we go, what is it?”

“The basketball coach asked me to only study for my education and just get out of the basketball club. He said that the lecturers always talk about me when they’re on meeting and you’re the one who set me as precedent for the students.” Amber recapped what the coach told her to Kris

“You’re smart, it will be such a waste for me if you don’t study very well.” Kris rolled his eyes, starting to put his book again and read it

“But I love basketball.” Amber seemed to disobey him right now

“You can play basketball with me every week.” Kris replied without giving her any gaze

Amber thought and he was actually quite right about it. “Who do you think you are? You’re not my father, I will still play basketball with my friends.”

“I’m your Professor, finish the questions now.” Kris replied her again

“You’re very annoying, you always use your job as the reason so that I should obey you.” Amber glared at him but he didn’t want to look at her at all

“I’m your boyfriend, I promise your sister to take care of you.” Kris started to be infuriated because of her

“Don’t use Victoria in this case, I don’t like your way to manage my own life. You’re not even my boyfriend, just let me do what I—“

Amber’s words were stuck in when she realized Kris’s tight grip around her waist and his face was very close to hers. Her eyes grew wide seeing his fierce eyes and her face turned to be red as their nose touched each other, her lips parted and opened slightly. “…K-Kris..”

“Shut up or I’ll you?” Kris let out an inappropriate word, making Amber unite her lips and gulp after hearing him. “All you have to do is just study for your school, is that difficult for you? Don’t think about the others around. Siwon says Victoria is fine in the hospital, I always check out your grades and you’re good at it. Your dream is being a doctor and I will help you to reach it, next year will be your last year in University, just study. Understood?”

Kris’s voice sounded stern, he sounded like a real Professor for Amber but his manners were like a beast, a caring beast for a clear explanation. Amber only nodded to his words, she couldn’t say anything again. He successfully made her quite and she disliked it because he had the power that she didn’t have.

She started to study again, finishing what Kris gave her before. It was quite difficult question because he gave her complicated case but she managed to finish it up. “I’m done.” She said and he grabbed the paper to check it

She took a peep when Kris was checking her answers, it seemed like her answers got many scratches from him, so, she just blurted out. “I’m sure even Siwon oppa can’t answer your questions correctly although he’s been a doctor since 4 years ago, Professor.”

“He’s genius and you’re idiot.” Kris raised his eyebrows and he knew she was pouting

“I may not be able to give therapy for patients who have disease with various complications, but I can help someone who has broken heart.” She looked up at the ceiling

“Who does have broken heart? It’s you, idiot.” Kris answered her statement and she scoffed because she felt stupid for saying that thing before. She felt down and placed her palms on her whole face, Kris was smart, very smart and it was wrong to play the words with him.

She kept pouting her lips but when she was seeing the paper in front of her, her lips turned into beautiful crescent. Her eyes widened as she didn’t believe about what she saw right in front of her. “95??????” She shouted the number and her face turned to him, “Are you serious???”

“I hate to admit that you’re out the range of stupid.” He said as he showed the paper to her, she kept looking at it and she got a bit annoyed when she realized what Kris did to the paper

“Don’t see other men, just see me.” “I love you, will you be my girl?” “You make my glucose concentration high until you make me diabetic with your sweet voice.” “Don’t look at me with your beautiful stare because you make me heart attack.” She was narrowing her eyes after she read what Kris wrote on her answers and then, her gaze caught his figure. “Really, Kris???”

“Wanna have a meal? I’m so hungry right now.” Kris switched the topic as he started to get up and left her hanging in the living room to go to the kitchen. She shook her head seeing him from behind as his figure slowly faded from her view. She smiled widely and read what Kris wrote again, it was cute but she couldn’t tell he was serious or not towards her, it just made her day.

Amber still couldn’t show Kris the true sadness in her, her father had passed away and he left debt on his family. She just knew about that a few days ago, she couldn’t do anything to pay her father’s debt. A crazy thought had ever come to her mind, she should go back to the club and just became the dancer but Kris was always checking her out every day and he must be mad at her if he knew she wanted to work as a dancer in the strip club again.

It ended up with her only hiding it from everyone, especially Victoria. She didn’t want Victoria to feel down again after she knew about the debt and their house would be confiscated very soon because Amber couldn’t pay the debt alone. It was enough for Victoria to have a deadly disease which was blood cancer and Amber didn’t want her to feel more pain because of the problems.

The next day of the school was just like the usual, just study in the class, her girls asked her to have girls’ night out and the boys hit on her.

“I don’t see your boyfriend anymore, you broke up with him?” Suho asked her in the cafeteria, suddenly he took a seat beside her and on purpose, he picked the same food just like her on his plate

“I never had a boyfriend.” She feed herself as she answered him, Suho found her very cu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter