Part 8 - Jina's Smile

Ice Princess

“What’s the schedule?”

Instead of saying hello or good afternoon, Jina barged into the restaurant and took a seat right beside Siwan. Manager Kim practically stared and almost had his eyes come out.

“Seriously, Jina. A proper greeting would be less shocking,” scoffed Manager Kim.

Jina shrugged. “Yeah but you would probably be even more shocked by my friendly act. What’s the schedule?” Jina repeated her question.

“You’re free for 5 months. Not technically free. There is this huge game at Hongkong around November. There’s gonna be only one skater from South Korea that will be chosen to compete with skaters around the world. I applied your form and we only need to wait for confirmation.”

Jina nodded to her manager’s explanation. “And when will the result come out?”

“2 weeks from now,” Siwan spoke up as he turned the pages of a certain document, perhaps the application guides.

“Cool,” said Jina.

Then there was that awkward silence.

“You still need to practice, Jina,” said Manager Kim which Jina replied with a few nods and an okay sign from her hand.

Manager Kim couldn’t take it and leant over to Siwan while whispering.

“She never changes from the first time I met her! Have you ever seen her at least a bit happy, laughing, or just giving out a sincere smile?”

Siwan shrugged. “The last time I saw her being happy was when her father called. I think her family is the only one who can make her cheer up.”

Manager Kim merely nodded. Jina wasn’t paying attention and zoned off while looking throughout the window.

~~~~~

Jina tapped her pen continuously while paying attention at the lecture. Her huge-framed glasses were almost falling off when she carefully tilted them back to place. She made tiny notes and sometimes nod as her sign that she understood.

The class was almost full, Jina sat at the 2nd row with no one beside her. The class was normally like that, no one bothered to sit beside Jina because they think it is useless, Jina doesn’t respond to any chats. Jina’s behavior made people think she’s unfriendly, some even avoid her. She never cares, though. Jina often consider most of her classmates as rivals instead of buddies.

It was when Jina closed her pen, done making notes, a girl came inside, half rushing. She had her hair tied up into a ponytail. The girl bowed and apologized several times to the lecturer. Jina checked her wristwatch. The girl was half an hour late. I would have skipped the whole lecture...

The lecturer accepted the apology which made the girl bow again being grateful. Her eyes then searched the class and finally widened when she realized the only empty seat was beside Jina. Jina acted like she doesn’t care and continued doodling.

The girl hesitately walked to the seat. Jina took a glance at her. The girl let out a small smile. Jina buried her head back in her notes. The girl finally sat down and the lecture continued. She didn’t even bother trying to chat with Jina, which made Jina a bit curious. When the lecture ended an hour later, the girl finally spoke up.

“Hey, you are Song Jina, right?” she asked carefully.

Jina, who was busy with her stuffs, looked up and nodded. “I haven’t seen you around. Do I know you?”

Even though it was a bit unfriendly, the girl managed to pull out a smile and stretched out her hands. “I’m Ryu Hwayoung, I just moved into this class a few days ago. The new girl, it’s actually fair enough if you forget my face.”

Jina stopped packing her stuff inside her bag and shook hands with Hwayoung. “Hwayoung? Oh yeah the new girl... sorry, I barely pay attention to people around me.”

Hwayoung laughed softly. She knew Jina’s coldness already from the chitchats around her. Jina’s personality made Hwayoung curious, she figured that it would be fun to have a friend like Jina. The problem is, Hwayoung was a bit shy to new people. Jina was the first one she attempted to make acquaintance.

Jina was about to exit the class when Hwayoung finally came back to her consciousness.

“Ah.. Jina-sshi?”

Jina stopped by the door and turned around. “Actually you can just call me Jina. Yes?”

Hwayoung had this strong feeling that Jina could be such a friendly person if she eventually befriended her.

“Do you have any other classes? I’m still not familiar with the whole campus and you are the only one I have talked to since I entered, so...”

Surprisingly, Jina replied with a smile. “Sure, I’ll lead you there.”

Hwayoung looked delighted and tried to catch up with Jina as she started walking.

“Seoul isn’t that bad, right? Where were you from again?” asked Jina, trying to open up a conversation. One thing she rarely does.

Hwayoung was a bit bemused by Jina’s sudden friendly action. “Oh, I’m from Kwangju. My parents had to move here for their business.”

Jina nodded. “You still live with your parents?”

“Yeah. I my twin was supposed to live with us too but she got a scholarship to Japan, I couldn’t leave my parents alone.”

Wow. She has a twin. And both her parents are here.

“You have a twin?” Jina’s surprised face was amusing, it made Hwayoung laugh.

“Yeah it’s kinda sad we had to separate. She occasionally visits us though. How about your family?”

Hwayoung’s question gave Jina quite a hit on her chest. She cleared and answered with a bitter smile.

“My mother passed away since I was seven. Dad is abroad due to his business, as well as my older brother. I lived alone since I was seventeen.”

They kept walking, however their conversation turned into a sudden silence. Hwayoung felt bad.

“I’m sorry,” she said with a low voice.

Jina shrugged. “It’s no big deal, actually.”

Hwayoung remained silent for a few seconds when Jina’s phone suddenly rang. Jina reached into her bag and pulled her phone out. She frowned when she saw it was an unknown number.

“Yes, hello?” said Jina in a fluent accent instead of the common ‘yoboseyo’. Hwayoung stopped and stood next to Jina.

“Appa?!” said Jina, her face lightened. Hwayoung realized Jina’s smile, and felt that her smile was contagious. From Jina’s reaction, Hwayoung could really tell that Jina’s father called to give her good news.

Jina finally ended the phone call and happily put her phone back inside her bag. She looked at Hwayoung. Hwayoung let out a smile.

“Is your dad coming home?” Hwayoung guessed exactly right.

Jina nodded. She couldn’t take her smile off her face. Hwayoung who was of course a girl, had to admit that Jina has the best smile ever among all of her girl friends.

Hwayoung sighed in relief. “I’m happy for...”

Jina stepped forward and give Hwayoung a quick tight hug. “I’m so happy! And I am so happy that I have you here to share my happiness with. I’m speechless and I need someone to hug!” said Jina as she let go of Hwayoung.

Hwayoung was incredibly touched, she smiled back sincerely. “I’m happy for you too. Thank you for actually, you know... regard me as someone who deserves to share your happiness with.”

Jina chuckled with Hwayoung’s awkward speech, she even had happy tears in her eyes. Jina then checked her watch. “Oh geez you’re gonna be late for your class! Come on!”

Jina turned around and hurriedly walk, Hwayoung smiled and ran to catch up to her.

~~~~~

It was almost dusk, Jina was still in the library having her novel open in front of her, but was intense texting with Jihee and Daehee. She planned to go shopping with her two buddies a day before her dad arrives. Jina pouted when both of them said they can’t go.

Since she was in a good mood, she let it go. Jina then closed her novel and stood up to leave the library when a familiar voice called her.

“Jina!”

Jina turned and saw Hwayoung with a book in her hand. “Wow you’re still here? I thought you don’t have any classes.”

“Oh, I usually waste my time here when I am free. Your class is over?” asked Jina. She didn’t smile but her face was still happy.

Hwayoung nodded. “About to go home but I have to go to the market to buy dinner ingredients.”

Jina simply made an O with as she walked with Hwayoung towards the exit. Jina then snapped her hands and turned to Hwayoung. Hwayoung stared back in confusion.

“Ah, Hwayoungie! Are you free this Friday?” asked Jina.

Hwayoung tapped her chin. “I have one morning class but then I guess I am free after 10. Why?”

“Awesome!” Jina clapped. “Wanna go shopping? Dad will arrive on Saturday, I want to look best for him!”

Hwayoung smiled. “Of course! Though I personally think your normal appearance already looks best.”

Jina awkwardly pull out this shy smile and nudged Hwayoung’s arm. “You’re going over! Hey save your number so I can call you.”

Jina lend her phone to Hwayoung. Jina’s phone had this wallpaper of herself in the ice rink, practicing. Siwan secretly took the photo but eventually got caught, Jina thought the photo was good so she asked him to send it.

“Wow, you skate?” asked Hwayoung, giving back the phone after she was done saving her number.

Jina laughed. “Oh my gosh, you didn’t notice?”

Hwayoung looked blank and shook her head. Jina playfully took off her glasses and untied her hair. Her ginger-colored hair fell perfectly in place and she gave a quick wink. Hwayoung immediately recalled.

“OMG so you are THE Jina? Song Jina? ICE PRINCESS?” asked Hwayoung in disbelief.

“Am I that different off-camera?” asked Jina while pouting.

Hwayoung shook her head vigorously. “Well you are a bit different but you are much more pretty in person!”

Jina laughed. “There you go again with your compliments. Thank you anyway. I always wonder why these glasses make people don’t recognize me,” Jina stared at her glasses before putting them back on.

~~~~~

Kyung happily walked the streets of Dongdaemun and stopped when he realized his buddy wasn’t beside him. He looked behind and saw Jaehyo giving him a -_- look.

“I still wonder why I agreed to accompany you shopping,” said Jaehyo in a bored voice.

Kyung chuckled. “Aw come on, bro. New clothes are a must. I mean when was the last time we had new clothes? A month ago? A year ago?” Kyung teased.

Jaehyo got irritated and immediately walked away leaving Kyung alone. Kyung ran to catch up with him.

“We’re not technically shopping like girls okay. We’re ‘completing our needs’. There is gonna be a formal dinner plus charity occasion I have with my work buddies. I don’t have any proper outfit so I need to find one,” explained Kyung.

Jaehyo glared. “You should’ve told me earlier! Why don’t you just borrow my suits, I have several.”

Kyung shook his head. “We both know, and it is clearly obvious, that your clothes won’t fit in me! You’re taller! Slimmer! I would drown in your suits and end up looking like a douche.”

Jaehyo burst out laughing even though Kyung’s joke wasn’t that funny – it was his face that was priceless. The two of them continued walking on while chatting about each other’s jobs. They entered a simple looking boutique, Jaehyo helped Kyung browsing his outfits.

They both split up for a few minutes. Jaehyo then spotted Kyung in a hurry walking towards him. His face looked delighted, a few times more excited than his usual excited face.

“You. Will. Never. Believe. Who. I. Just. Saw,” said Kyung, slightly panting. Jaehyo rolled his eyes.

“Oh really? Let me guess. Song Jina?” asked Jaehyo, guessing with a bored face.

“You are definitely some psychic, aren’t you. She’s here! Over there?”

Jaehyo’s eyes widened. “You’re serious? That was actually a random guess. She’s here? Where?”

Kyung’s face turned skeptical. “Why are you the excited one now?”

Jaehyo froze. I am excited? What the...

“OMG OMG she’s coming closer.. what to do, what to do,” Kyung suddenly panicked and walked back and forth. He practiced his introduction speech and repeated it while mumbling to his face.

Jaehyo, on the other side, was starstrucked with how Jina looked that day. She wasn’t overdressed, nor was she too relaxed with her closet choices. It was her expressions that were different. It shined. She was with a friend and they were playfully talking to each other while browsing the clothes. Jina’s aura was totally, completely different in a good way. Jaehyo held in the urge to walk up to her and say hi.

Just when Jaehyo was about to turn around and find Kyung, Jina’s eyes caught his eyes. Her face turned into this notice expression and she smiled. Jaehyo froze, again. He could see Kyung still panicking from the edge of his eye, he couldn’t deny that he started to panic when Jina walked towards him.

“Another coincidence? Hello, Jaehyo-sshi!”

Jina bowed a bit and smiled after her greeting. Jaehyo blinked. Dumbfounded. Wonderstrucked. Bewitched.

“Ah, uh.. nice to see you again!” said Jaehyo, awkwardly greeting back and stuttering.

Jina nodded and still had her smile on her face. “Are you here alone? You actually shop?” asked Jina as she looked around.

“Ng- no, actually I am accompanying my.. oh right! I’m with my friend I told you earlier,” Jaehyo looked behind him and called his buddy. “Yah Park Kyung get over here!” he said, half whispering.

Jina chuckled. She looked at Hwayoung who was zoning off on her own. Jina looked back and the person in front of her had been added into two people.

The two guys nervously stood in front of Jina, so stiff. Jina tilted her head, waiting for a response. Jaehyo elbowed Kyung and he immediately gained back his consciousness as he bowed and introduced himself.

“Ah! Annyeong.. Park Kyung imnida.. ng.. I am a huge fan of you!” said Kyung, nervously.

Jina laughed. Both Jaehyo and Kyung thought she was so adorable. “I can see that through your nervousness,” said Jina.

Kyung blushed and scratched his head. He then gained all his guts to start a conversation with Jina. Jaehyo smiled as he finally got his bestie meeting his number one idol.

As Kyung chattered with Jina, Jaehyo ignored the world around him. He would automatically smile when Jina smiled. At a certain time, Kyung told a funny joke which made Jina crack up, and made Jaehyo wonder why Jina couldn’t act this friendly on other times.

Jaehyo was sure that they spent quite a long time just chatting there. He didn’t really mind. Kyung’s friendly and fun personality would normally make people feel comfortable around him. Kyung had his phone in his hand and asked for a selca with Jina. Jaehyo offered to take the picture. When they were done, Kyung thanked Jina several times while Jina couldn’t help but laugh at Kyung’s fun actions.

Hwayoung who suddenly felt alone, looked around and spotted Jina still with the two guys. She walked towards them just when Jina turned around.

“Oh Hwayoungie, sorry for leaving you for a while. I met my friends,” explained Jina.

Jaehyo looked at Kyung and mouthed ‘we are her FRIENDS!’ which Kyung replied with an uber excited face and vigorous nodding.

“It’s okay. I was just about to recommend some outfits to you,” said Hwayoung.

“Oh, right! I almost forgot why we’re here. Before we leave...” Jina turned back to the two guys. “Jaehyo, Kyung, this is my friend, Hwayoung. Hwayoungie, this is Jaehyo and Kyung. Kyung is my fan and Jaehyo is a reporter who once interviewed me,” said Jina, giving a brief introduction.

Hwayoung bowed to both of them while the guys bowed back. “Wah, you two are lucky to befriend someone like Jina.”

“Excuse me?” asked Jina with a frown, she didn’t look angry though.

Hwayoung shrugged. “The guys probably already know what I mean, am I right?” she looked at Jaehyo and Kyung.

Kyung replied with a nod while Jaehyo merely smiled. Hwayoung smiled back and whispered, “Jina it’s almost lunch.”

Jina glanced at her wristwatch. “Oh, right! I guess I will see you guys later?”

Kyung nodded. “Oh I heard there is a skate competition at Hongkong around November, are you participating?”

Jina had this wow face. “You are so updated! Yeah I just applied and we still need to know whether I will be participating or not. They are auditioning the skaters based on experiences.”

“Hooo.. I hope you get accepted! And I hope I could watch you there,” Kyung had this face full of hope.

“Thank you,” Jina smiled. “Yeah you two should come and watch. Anyways, it’s almost lunch, I haven’t find my outfit so I guess I should leave you two!”

Jina bowed as she walked away with Hwayoung beside her. Kyung waved. “Thank you, Ice Princess!”

The two guys both eyed Jina until she disappeared among the racks. Jaehyo hadn’t taken off his smile that was there ever since Jina talked to them. Kyung caught Jaehyo off-guard.

“Yah, Ahn Jaehyo. I told you she was adorable. Now you believe me, right?”

Jaehyo just chuckled and walked away. Kyung quickly walked beside him and put his hand over Jaehyo’s shoulders.

“Yah, what are you doing?”

“Thank you so much, Jaehyo. Ever since I met you, this is the happiest day ever. I finally met the Ice Princess and it’s all thanks to you! Thank God you approached her.”

Jaehyo just smiled while looking forward. “Wait a minute.”

“What?” Kyung finally let go of Jaehyo.

“I didn’t approach her. She came to me first.”

Kyung blinked. “You know I would normally not believe you but in this case, damn dude. I wish I had your ulzzang face so that I would be more attractive.”

Jaehyo laughed. “Hey, I never saw her laugh out loud until now. This handsome face is probably nothing compared to your fun personality.”

Kyung brushed dust off his shoulders, showing off. “Oh I know right. Actually personalities are more attracting then handsome faces.”

Jaehyo scoffed. “Psh! Lucky you are fun to be with, if you are not, most ladies would probably be scared by your long face that resembles a cucumber!”

Kyung was speechless. He had this how-could-you face. Jaehyo laughed and ran away. Kyung started to run to catch his buddy.

“I’M NOT... CUCUMBER!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is one LONG chapter right? i hope you guys don't mind...

i wonder why they keep getting longer LOL

it is okay, right? i don't update as often but i promise you guys a LONG chapter once i update XD

i added a new character, T-Ara's Ryu Hwayoung.

maybe you could already predict what's her role in this story? keke~

thankyou new subscribers, and i love you all, my readers! ♥