Part 23 - Friendzoned

Ice Princess

 

Jina swung her messenger bag to her right after she parked her bike in front of the minimarket. Her mind was full of numbers, she just finished working on perfect angles and stuff by burying her head between Physics books at the library. Before getting home, she decided to stop buy and get a hot cup of chocolate, also some instant ramyeons.

Just as she finished locking her bike, she stood up and turned around, only to have herself losing balance and almost falling down on her .

“Oh! Sorry, did I shock you?” asked Jonghun, ignoring the soft wind that was making his hair messy.

Jina blinked. “You creeper! I’m an athlete, and you’re causing trouble for me to manage a healthy heart just by popping everywhere making me have a mini heart attack!”

Jonghun chuckled. “Okay I’m sorry. I swear I was gonna tap your shoulder but you stood too fast so... yeah.”

“I stood too fast. Yeah right.”

Jonghun smiled and ruffled his own hair. Jina looked away. “Stopping by to grab snacks?”

Jina scoffed. “I don’t snack, I’m an athlete.”

Jonghun raised his hands up. “Wow. Okay. So, Miss Athlete, what brings you here?”

She replied with a shrug. “Just dropping by to grab... a cup of hot chocolate.”

“Okay. Snacks.”

“No!”

Jina eyed Jonghun and made him chuckle. He followed her inside the minimarket, ignoring the people staring at them. Jina rushed and served herself a cup of hot chocolate, paid to the cashier, and walked out again. She turned around to Jonghun.

“Hold this please,” she said as she unlocked her bike and sat on it. Then she realized there is no way she could ride home with only one hand on the bike.

Jonghun blinked. “Yeah I don’t mind to sit with you for ten minutes, while you finish your hot beverage.”

Jina sighed, hopped off her bike, snatched the cup away and walked to the nearest bench. Jonghun followed and sat beside her.

“So how’s practice?” asked Jonghun. He noticed Jina’s lucky charm as she took a sip of her drink.

Jina nodded. “Great, I just need to get the right numbers to make the signature spin perfect from all angles.”

“Nice bracelet, by the way,” Jonghun changed the topic right away. Must be from Jaehyo.

Jina’s face lightened up. That exact moment, Jonghun knew he didn’t need an answer.

“Your boyfriend? Right. I know,” Jonghun’s voice slowly faded towards the end of his sentence.

Jina repeatedly blew her hot choco. “I’m... I kinda need some help over here.”

“What? Your beverage is extremely hot it exceeds your hotness?”

“What? No!” Jina chuckled. Jonghun drew a smile. “You know I have cameraphobia, right?”

Jonghun looked slightly surprised. “All of a sudden... well, of course I know. It explains why we never...”

Jina deathglared him. Jonghun shrugged. “Nevermind. Continue.”

“Is there a cure for it?”

Jonghun leaned back and sighed. “I don’t know. Maybe you just need to get used to it. Like, start taking pictures of yourself? Don’t use a DSLR or whatever, just start with your phone.”

Jina stared. “I’m not helping, am I?” asked Jonghun.

Jina shook her head. Jonghun sighed once again. He secretly wished that time would stop at that very moment. It’s been ages since he and Jina spent time together without any form of awkwardness. Today, Jina was in a neutral mood and somehow Jonghun could tell from the color of her face, which is why he intented in following her earlier. He knew she wouldn’t get furious like usual.

“I’m ready to be famous, this phobia thing is the only thing getting in my way,” said Jina as she blew her hot choco and took a sip of it, scrunching her nose afterwards for it was still boiling hot.

“You need help?”

Jina looked up to Jonghun. His eyes were still captivating and she somehow had her heart telling her that he’s worth the trust now.

“I’m not some guy with an expensive camera, but I can help. First can be the photobooth!”

Jina’s eyes widened in horror. “No, not the photobooth.”

“Why?” Jonghun tilted his head.

“Because the blitz and the sound of the camera clicking are too freaking close and noticeable. That’s why.”

Jonghun shrugged. “You wouldn’t know if you give it a try. When was the last time you went for a photobooth?”

“Never did.”

“Seriously? No wonder. No wonder you always refused taking photos when we went on dates...”

Awkward silence for five seconds. “I told you not to bring that up,” Jina looked away.

“I thought you’ve made up your mind,” said Jonghun.

“I have.”

“And?”

“I’m fine with Jaehyo, thank you.”

Jonghun sighed heavily and leaned back. He stretched his arms and looked up to the sky. “Very well then. I guess I just got friendzoned.”

Jina smirked. “You visit that site a lot?”

“I’m a top commenter.”

Jina chuckled. Jonghun laughed along with her. “Hey, at least by being your friend I can still make you laugh without feeling awkward. So, do you still want my help or not?”

Jina took out her phone and saw two messages. Both were from Jaehyo.

“Listen, you still got my number, right?” Jina quickly finished her hot choco.

“I thought I was the one who’s supposed to ask that...”

Jina stood up and threw the cup lightly to the bin. She then walked toward her bike and unlocked it. “I really gotta go now so please inform me later about how you’re gonna help me with my phobia. Okay?”

Jonghun nodded. “Sure, should I text or c—“

He was cut-off midspeech because Jina gave him a quick hug. “I’ll see you soon!” she said as she hopped on her bike and pedaled away.

Jonghun merely stared at her until she disappeared. “I guess being friendzoned is not that bad.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

surprise! Jonghun is a 9gagger. LOL

i wonder how things will work out. do you wonder?

stay tuned. welcome new readers! ♥♥♥