Part 1

Ice Princess

The rain was pouring hard outside. Jina stared at the window, raindrops slowly falling down from the glass. It was cloudy all day, Jina predicted it to rain. She had her phone in her grip for the last 45 minutes, waiting for a call.

 

“Jina, it’s your turn soon.”

 

Jina ignored the voice calling her. Her stare was still blank.

 

“Jina.”

 

The guy with the voice finally tapped on her shoulder. “Yah, Song Jina! You are in a middle of a competition, focus, dear!”

 

Jina looked at the guy beside her. “I wish Dad would call just once. This is my 3rd time participating in the figure skating championships, he never showed up. He never even called.”

 

“Jina, listen. You should be out in 5 minutes, we can talk about this later and you know what? Manager Kim said he will treat us for dinner if you win this game!”

 

“Seriously?” Jina looked deep into Siwan’s eyes.

 

Siwan nodded. He pushed Jina lightly towards the exit. “Hwaiting!”

 

Jina stepped to the entrance. She could already feel the cold from the ice rink in front of her. As soon as the MC called her name, the crew pulled the curtains and made way for her inside the ice rink. The crowd went loud, there were banners everywhere written ‘Ice Princess’ and her name on it. She gave a cold smile and started her moves just exactly when the music started.

 

During her performance she did her usual toe loops, making the audience in awe. She did a breathtaking axel, bracket turns and a few more jumps before she got herself into the center, and did a death drop -- her signature flying spin --  as the wrap up. The music ended and that’s when the crowd went wild all over again.

 

~~~~~

 

“Yah, Song Jina, congratulations!”

 

Jina gave her most sincere smile since that day. Siwan briskly walked up to her and help her carry the bouquet. He let her carry the trophy though.

 

“I wonder how much gold medals you have now,” said Siwan.

 

Jina shrugged. “A bunch. I can’t even remember where I put them all.”

 

Siwan laughed but then stopped when Jina looked at him. He looked at the bouquet.

 

“Ah, I know. You hate flowers, right? I’ll put this away or give it to a fan.”

 

“Thanks,” said Jina as she entered the changing room. As she was about to close the door, she called Siwan.

 

“Siwan-sshi!”

 

“Ah, ye?”

 

“Manager Kim is gonna treat us for dinner, right? Now? Where?”

 

Siwan just smiled as he saw the Ice Princess melting for food.

 

~~~~~

 

Jina took off the fuzzy jacket she was wearing and handed it over to a waiter. She stepped inside the luxurious restaurant behind Manager Kim. Siwan followed her. She gazed around the interior of the restaurant, that moment she guessed that the cheapest dish in this place was the same price as her three meals in a day summed up as one.

 

As the three of them were seated, Jina moved closer to Manager Kim.

 

“Psst. Where on earth did you get the money to dine here?” whispered Jina.

 

Manager Kim smiled. “Actually you don’t have to worry since your meal is like already a prize, from the championship you just won earlier. As for me and Siwan, it’s none of your business.”

 

Jina who anticipated for the answer just pouted, making Siwan chuckle.

 

“Oh by the way, Jina! Glad the outfit I designed didn’t fell off or something. I was kinda scared that one of the feathers would fall off and distract you. Was the outfit comfy?” asked Siwan.

 

Jina nodded. “I never want to use a skating outfit if it’s not your design.”

 

Siwan drew a proud smile on his face.

 

They had a long chit chat while enjoying their appetizer. Siwan and Manager Kim told a few jokes that were normally laughable, but it’s just Jina who has this cold ice personality, she only smiled listening to the jokes. The two guys finally gave up when their main course arrived.

 

Jina stared at the Pesto Chicken dish in front of her. “Gosh this smells so good.”

 

Siwan and Manager Kim were already nomming on their dishes. Jina squirted a smile and tasted a bit of hers.

 

She blinked and swallowed. Her eyes were suddenly teary. Siwan stopped chewing.

 

“Jina you okay?”

 

Jina slowly nodded. “This dish is heaven,” she whispered after swallowing.

 

Siwan and Manager Kim burst out laughing, but they kept their behavior since rich people were around them. When they were almost done with their meal, Jina called a waiter and asked who the chef was.

 

“What are you trying to do?” asked Manager Kim.

 

“Praising him, of course.”

 

It didn’t even take 2 minutes when a middle aged man walked out of the kitchen and walked towards their table.

 

“Are you the chef in charge of this meal?” asked Jina. Her stare was so cold that the man feared for a complaint.

 

He shook his head. Jina raised an eyebrow. “I am not fully in charge with this, the chef is very busy inside taking care of other dishes. I am his assistant. If there are any complaints, please let us know so we could improve our..”

 

“It’s awesome,” Jina cut his speech.

 

The man blinked. “Excuse me?”

 

Jina smiled. “There are only two reasons why people call out the chef during their meal. It’s either their meal is really good or their meal is awful. In this case, it’s the first one. This is, by far, the best dish I ever tasted so I wanted to compliment the chef. Too bad he is too busy inside, isn’t he?”

 

Siwan stared at Jina’s sincere compliment. Manager Kim leaned to whisper, “told you she’s a kind girl inside.”

 

“Ah, thank you so much, Miss. We really appreciate it... ah, again, thank you! I will tell the chef immediately, please enjoy your meal,” the man bowed and hurriedly went back to the kitchen.

 

Jina smiled and shook her head. She was just about to take another bite when she caught the two guys staring at her. “What?”

 

The three of them finally finished their main course. They had a serious conversation to steady their full stomachs when three desserts were placed in front of them.

 

“I’m sorry but we didn’t order this,” said Manager Kim.

 

The waiter bowed. “It is a special treat from the chef, Sir. Please enjoy.”

 

Jina and Siwan looked at each other. Then they both looked at Manager Kim.

 

“Thanks for taking us here!”

 

They all let out a soft laugh and tried the dessert. The chef was watching them from the kitchen entrance, smiling.

 

~~~~~

 

“It was awesome okay! Song Jina is truly an Ice Princess! Her figures are like a princess but her stare and expressions are cold like ice. Damn you should come and accompany me watch her in her future competitions! And.. wait why do you smell like pastry?”

 

Jaehyo walked around his house, putting things here and there and ignored Kyung’s babbling about the ice princess. “I bought some puff pastry soup, want some?”

 

“WOAAAAH yah, Ahn Jaehyo. You are truly the best! I never regretted moving in with you!” Kyung glomped on Jaehyo.

 

“Oh stop it you sound wrong. Besides you’re renting the extra room, it’s not like I am letting you live here for free,” said Jaehyo, putting the two bowls of puff pastry inside the microwave.

 

“You hurt my heart, Jaehyo. You surely did,” Kyung looked at Jaehyo in these fake sad eyes. A second later they burst out laughing.

 

“You’re ridiculous!” said Jaehyo, sitting on the bar while waiting for their meal to be heated.

 

Kyung just chuckled. He walked over to the coffee table, grabbed some stuff and went to the bar. “I took pictures of her, look!”

 

Jaehyo held the SLR camera that Kyung handed over. It was a simple camera for beginners, nothing compared to his collection in his favorite room. Jaehyo slightly laughed while browsing through the pictures.

 

“What? Why are you laughing? She’s pretty, right? And her beauty is no joke,” said Kyung.

 

“I’m absolutely sure that she’s prettier in real life,” Jaehyo gave back the SLR to Kyung.

 

“How’d you know?”

 

“Because all your pictures are blurry and I can’t even see her face!”

 

“Really?” Kyung browsed his own SLR. “Ah you’re right. You should teach me how to take pictures beautifully then! I am always envious of your photographing skills.”

 

Jaehyo shrugged. “It’s nothing.”

 

Kyung pouted. “Hey there’s one clear picture of her, this was during her end pose, beauty, isn’t she?” Kyung showed his final shot.

 

Jaehyo couldn’t help but smile. “Yeah. Pretty princess-like.”