Part 16 - The Confession

Ice Princess

 

Jina was tapping her chin. Her elbow rested on the coffee table. She constantly kept looking at her phone in case it vibrates. Seungho just came out of his room and saw his sister there, waiting, all dressed up. Not overdressed, just gorgeous.

“You going somewhere?” he asked.

Jina turned around and nodded. “Jaehyo asked me out for dinner.”

Seungho smiled. “Ah so it’s Mr. Ahn. Where are you guys dining?”

Jina shrugged. “He didn’t tell me.”

Seungho sat beside Jina and her hair gently. “By the time I go back to Japan, I hope he’ll be the one to look after you.”

Jina looked into Seungho’s eyes. “You’re leaving?”

Seungho felt guilty. “I only have a week left.”

Jina who was known for having a hot temper, really wanted to nag at her brother. But lately she has changed. She was a lot calmer, thanks to somebody.

“Then I want to spend the whole week with you,” said Jina.

Seungho chuckled. “We could arrange what we’re gonna do for the weekend.”

Jina merely nodded. Her phone suddenly vibrated. Seungho playfully took it before Jina could even reach for it.

“Oppa, hand it over!” squealed Jina.

Seungho laughed and read the inbox. “From : Mr. Ahn. I am outside your house, I hope you are ready.”

Jina gasped and bolted up. She looked left and right searching for her purse.

“Why are you panicking? He’s gonna wait. Should I reply this?” asked Seungho, Jina’s phone dangling in his hand.

“No!” Jina snatched it away. “Where’s my purse? Oppa, stand up!”

“Why should I?”

“Just stand up! I know you’re sitting on it!”

Seungho sighed while standing up. Jina grabbed her purse and rushed for the door. When she was about to open it, she rushed back to Seungho and gave him a peck on his cheek.

“I’ll bring home rice cake for you!” she said as she disappeared outside the door.

Jina closed the door behind her and walked towards the gate. She could see Jaehyo out there leaning on his car. He turned around as he heard the sound of the gate being opened.

“Hey,” greeted Jaehyo, awkwardly. Mostly stunned by Jina’s appearance. He was always stunned but this night Jina was even more stunning.

“Hi,” Jina greeted back with a small smile, also hiding her spazzing heart, adoring how manly Jaehyo looked with that semi-formal outfit.

The two of them just stared at each other for a couple of seconds. Jina faked a cough and managed to break the silence.

“So are we going or are you gonna let us freeze here?” she asked.

Jaehyo chuckled and opened the door for Jina. “After you, Ice Princess,” Jaehyo told Jina to hop in. Jina scoffed and entered the car.

~~~~~

Jina kept attacking Jaehyo with questions like ‘where are we going’ or ‘are we there yet’. Jaehyo calmly replied with simple answers and he would always change the subject. Just when Jina was about to open , Jaehyo snatched her sentence away.

“Yes, Jina. We are here.”

Jina looked outside. She gasped to see the restaurant’s name glowing in the dark. It turned out that Jaehyo brought her to the place where Jina had a great meal, and a hard time finding out who the chef was. His place where he works at.

“Liking it?” asked Jaehyo as he parked the car and turned the engine off.

Jina’s smile was so delighted. She opened her door for herself and went out. “Come on, I’m already hungry!”

Jaehyo quickly catch up to Jina. They both entered the fancy building. Other couples were seated already with their elegant outfits. Jina quickly glanced at herself, making sure her outfit was okay.

Jina stood behind Jaehyo as he confirmed reservations to the waiter there. Jaehyo whispered something to the waiter when he caught Jina off guard. He then called Jina and they both walked to their table, led by the waiter.

Jina ordered her favorite dish while Jaehyo picked something different. They had a brief chit chat when they finished ordering. Jaehyo kept his eyes around the restaurant, making sure everything is running smoothly.

Jaehyo had practically known almost everything from Jina, as she was the one who talks the most every time they met. Jina may seem to be cold and unfriendly to people but once they get closer to her, she is fun to listen to. Jina then asked Jaehyo about his life. His family, his friends, and even his job.

“You’re a reporter so is that what explains you walking around with your camera always in your hands?” asked Jina.

Jaehyo coughed to the question. His job as a reporter was a lie. He pretended to be one.

“Well I like photography so even if I’m not a reporter, I would still carry my SLR around,” he said, clearing his throat.

Jina nodded. “I see. Have you ever interviewed other famous people?”

Jaehyo was puzzled on how to answer all these questions. No, because I am actually a chef and I work here.

“Well,” Jaehyo cleared his throat again. Jina winced as she thought something was wrong with Jaehyo’s throat.

He didn’t get to answer the question since their meal finally arrived. He was secretly relieved and hoped that Jina would stop asking him questions about his job.

The waiter who served the meal was different from the one Jaehyo made reservations with. He placed the plate in front of Jina, then placed Jaehyo’s meal in front of him. Jina nodded at the waiter.

“Thank you,” said Jaehyo, with a tone so low that Jina could barely hear it.

The waiter bowed. “You’re welcome, Chef Ahn.”

Jaehyo’s eyes widened. Jina’s hand froze as she reached for her fork. Jaehyo faked a cough.

The waiter stuttered as he saw Jina staring at him. “Uh, if you need anything you can just call me, Mr. Ahn.”

He bowed again and walked away. Jaehyo was hoping Jina didn’t hear...

“Did he just say ‘chef’?” asked Jina. Her voice was full of curiosity.

Jaehyo touched his plate and smelled the food. “Wow this meal smells heavenly! You better eat it while it’s hot.”

Jina put her fork back down. “Jaehyo, answer me.”

Jaehyo couldn’t look away from Jina’s deathly glare. He sighed and started pleading.

“Look, Jina... I’m sorry okay. I knew I should have told you before. You see, I am not a reporter. I work here. I cook for this restaurant. That time when I interviewed you, I was mistaken as a reporter by the chief editor,” Jaehyo tried his best to explain without stuttering.

“Then what was your motive pretending to be one?” asked Jina, her tone sounded cynical.

“I... look, don’t get mad at me, I’m sorry. I was just...”

“Trying to dig personal information from me? To tell the media? To tell any other people?” asked Jina, attacking Jaehyo with her interrogative questions.

“Jina, listen. I was mistaken as a reporter. I didn’t bother telling the editor I wasn’t one since he told me to interview you,” explained Jaehyo.

Jina remained silent. Her eyes were locked into Jaehyo’s.

“I was going to tell him that I wasn’t an employee but the moment he mentioned your name, I couldn’t refuse. I wanted to know you.”

The two of them kept silent for a second. “Why?” asked Jina carefully.

“Because,” Jaehyo took a deep breath. “Because I like you.”

Jina blinked and looked away. “You still lied.”

“Look, I’m sorry, okay...”

“Me too, I should leave.”

“No, Jina, wait!”

Jaehyo spontaneously grabbed Jina’s wrist as she stood up. Gentle enough not to make her feel hurt but strong enough to make her stay. She darted another glare at him.

“Please, stay. Even just for this meal. Would you at least taste it before you leave? I made it especially for you. I knew you would order the same dish.”

Jina’s hand was ready to struggle free but the stomach was telling her to stay. She hesitated before she sat back on her chair.

“Before I picked you up I drove by to prepare it. My assistant had it ready and reheated it once we placed orders,” explained Jaehyo.

Jina stared at her plate. It definitely looks tempting and more alluring than before. Maybe because she was hungry. Or maybe because this time she knew it was Jaehyo who made it.

“What is it now?” asked Jina as she looked back at Jaehyo. “You’re trying to bribe me with food?”

Jaehyo ran his hands through his hands frustratingly, but his hair perfectly fell back in place. “Just... taste it. Okay?”

Jina carefully took a bite of her dish in front of her. The taste was exactly the same. Delicious. The food was neglected on the table for minutes, but surprisingly, it was still warm. She closed her eyes for a few second after she swallowed. She took a sip of water and looked at Jaehyo. He was looking back with hope written on his forehead.

“I can tell you aren’t lying about your job as a chef,” she said. “It tastes the same.”

Jaehyo sighed with relief. “Do you accept my apology now?”

Jina settled both her elbows on the table, her hand supporting her chin. “So it was you? The chef who never wanted to show up?”

Jaehyo nodded. “I’m s-…”

“You should have told me before. I would have fell for you earlier,” said Jina, gently wiping with a napkin.

Jaehyo blinked. He started stuttering again. “Pardon me?”

“You heard it and I am not going to repeat my words,” Jina laughed softly. “Damn, you sure know how to tame me with food. Delicious food.”

Jaehyo was still blank. He kept looking into Jina’s eyes while she was busy with her meal. She loved the dish too much.

“Excuse me, Jina. I heard it but who knows that I heard it wrong? You said... if I told you right away I was the chef, you would... fall for me earlier?” he asked in disbelief.

“Hey what ingredients did you use to make this sauce?” asked Jina back. Now it was her turn to change the subjects.

“Song Jina!” Jaehyo merely whined.

Jina couldn’t hold her laugh in. She laughed out, keeping it low not to disturb other customers. “You look cute when you whine. And yeah, I said that. I’m not going to repeat it, though!”

A smile was slowly forming on Jaehyo’s lips. I can’t believe this.

“So... Jina,” said Jaehyo. He still couldn’t take his eyes off of Jina who was so into her meal.

“Hm?” answered Jina with full of food.

“Does that mean... if I ask you out...” Jaehyo kept stuttering.

Jina swallowed. “Speak properly!”

“Ah,” Jaehyo chuckled to himself. “Fine. I was just. Well. Would you go out with me?”

Jina paused her meal and looked back at Jaehyo. “Aren’t I already out with you now?”

Jaehyo laughed and awkwardly scratched the back of his head. “Well, technically yes, but I mean... well, you know what I mean.”

He stared at her, wishing she would ring a bell and quickly say yes. But Jina shook her head innocently.

“No. What do you mean?”

Liar. You are making me stutter on purpose and say a proper proposal to you.

Jaehyo took a deep breath while closing his eyes, calming himself down. Jina covered , holding in her laughter.

“What I am trying to say is...” he paused and peeked to see Jina waiting curiously.

“What?” urged Jina.

“Can’t believe I am saying this,” whispered Jaehyo to himself. Jina tilted her head in a cute way, waiting for Jaehyo to spit it out. Jaehyo cleared his throat.

“Would you be my girlfriend?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oooh lala~! what will Jina say? accept or reject?

surprise update! i told you i would still update despite my holiday LOL

i'm sorry if you think this chapter coz it's like a typical confession scene

but thank you so much for those who love it!

welcome new readers! <3

expect a new update soon ^^