Part 3

Ice Princess

Jina buried her head in her physics book. Her papers scattered over the bench. She looked around and saw a few people walking, some playing by the fountain. There were a bunch of kids playing around as well. Out of all places, Jina chose to study in the park. The library was too quiet for her, she even got bored with her own house.

It has been about two hours since Jina occupied the long bench for herself. She felt a slight guilty feeling when people wanting to sit on the bench but merely walked away seeing her so focused on her work. Her huge framed glasses were meant to cover her eyebags, she kept tilting them in place as she packed her stuffs.

She tied up her hair and tightened it before she was going to stand up. She saw a guy with a fancy SLR taking photos in front of her. Then he suddenly moved backwards. Jina tilted her head and figured that maybe he was searching for the perfect angle. But he kept moving backwards, Jina couldn’t stop him when he accidentally stepped on Jina’s foot.

“Yah!”

The guy turned around. His hoodie fell off from his head. He looked startled and immediately bowed, a second after he stood back straight again.

“You...”he murmured.

Jina screwed up her eyes. “Do I know you?”

The guy lifted up his camera just so Jina can see it. Jina tilted her head again. Then she snapped her fingers. The guy blinked.

“Ah! Seems like your camera is doing fine,” said Jina, finally she remembered. It was almost a week after the Starbucks incident.

The guy pouted not in a cute way, but feeling pissed. Somehow it still appeared cute.

“You’re not gonna say sorry for stepping on my foot? It hurts.”

It hurts... sounds like a guy that hurt his girl.

Jaehyo kept his thoughts to himself and just smirked. Jina rolled her eyes.

“Instead of setting the focus of your camera, it seems like you need to focus on where you’re stepping,” said Jina.

Jaehyo was left jawdropped as Jina walked away from the place. He watched Jina until she was like a tiny dot among the huge building around them.

“Aish that girl! Kyung was right. Definitely interesting. She looks like somebody... why can’t I figure out who,” Jaehyo murmured to himself.

~~~~~

Kyung turned the pages of the magazine he was reading while lounging on the sofa. Jaehyo just came home from his photo hunting, Kyung immediately got up and showed the magz to Jaehyo.

“Hey, check this out. Uri Ice Princess as the front cover! Pretty, right? This was when she won the gold for the latest championship. Woah the photos are great and focused. Yah, Ahn Jaehyo, you should really teach me how to hold the camera! I want to take HD pics of the Ice Princess as well!”

Jaehyo just sighed as a reply to Kyung’s babbling. Kyung pouted.

“Lemme take a look,” he said. Kyung handed the magazine to him.

Jaehyo’s eyes scanned the pages, he read the special article about the Ice Princess and then nodded several times. Kyung made a frown.

“These photos are great. Must be taken by a pro,” commented Jaehyo.

“I should learn from you ;__;” Kyung took the magazine back. “Oh look a candid picture of her! She’s in the streets of Seoul.. wait, OHMYGOD she’s so cute wearing these nerd glasses! Look at her!”

Jaehyo was just about to go to his room when Kyung tugged Jaehyo’s arm. “Look!”said Kyung in a delightful face.

At first Jaehyo didn’t give any attention but when Kyung pointed to that one photo, his eyes went wide open.

“Are you sure this is her??” asked Jaehyo, curious.

“Yeah. Why?”

“She’s the one who spilled coffee on my camera! No wonder she looked familiar.. Oh! I met her again at the park today, and she was still as cold as that night.”

Kyung dropped the magazine in a dramatic way. “SERIOUSLY. YOU. MET. HER. TWICE?”

Jaehyo nodded, slightly swallowing his own saliva, preparing for Kyung to explode or something.

Kyung’s eyes were sparkling. “Buddy you are so lucky! DAMN if I were you I would just get over that coffee incident and just buy her a drink! Or make her buy a new drink for me!”

Jaehyo shrugged. “Well I had no idea it was her. She looked different with those glasses. I’m not even a die-hard fan of her like you.”

Kyung smiled widely. “Oh! Today at the park? What happened?”

Jaehyo told the whole story, even imitating how Jina talked. Kyung responded with a great laugh. He gets entertained easily.

“See! I told you she’s interesting. You should bump into her more often you know, no wait. You should take me with you whenever you go out! I could ask for a picture with her or just an autograph!”

Jaehyo smiled at his buddy’s own excitement. Deep inside, the curiosity about Jina’s personality made him pray that he would meet her again soon.

~~~~~

It was two weeks left to Jina’s next figure skating championship. She entered the empty ice rink and felt the cold on the back of her neck.

“The ice rink isn’t open for public on weekdays, we only let athletes practice in here,” said the ice rink worker. He was this middle aged man with a very warming eye smile.

He opened the gate towards the ice rink. Jina stepped on the ice. She smiled.

“Good luck practicing, and good luck for the game!”he said, bowing to Jina.

Jina bowed back and thanked the worker. She then changed to her skates.

She did a warming up by skating around the whole rink. Then she practiced her basic moves and carefully did a flip. She landed perfectly but her ankle didn’t feel right. She sat in the middle of the rink, gently massaging her foot.

The ice rink was so quiet as if she owns it. The thought of her being alone brought a tear to her eye. She remembered her mother.

“Mother.. if you were still here, you’d be the one watching me practice, right?”

Jina covered her face with her palm. She took a deep breath and wiped away her tears. She recalled her mother’s words when she was still a 6 year old girl.

“Uri Song Jina is strong! Uri Jina can do anything. Uri Jina will be a famous skater!”

That was the last time Jina visited the ice rink with her mother. Before she died, Jina’s mother was the one who kept pushing Jina to reach her dreams. She was torn into being a model like her mother, or being an ice skater. Her mother, however, approved ice skating more.

“Uri Jina can do anything,” mouthed Jina. She stood up and continued practicing despite her lightly injured foot.

~~~~~

“What’s with you and feathers, seriously?”

Jina glared at Siwan who was dusting off the new outfit he designed for Jina’s next competition.

“You look pretty with anything on okay,” said Siwan, simply.

“I’m not a Swan Princess. They call me Ice Princess.”

“Well what do you expect? You want me to glue ice blocks on your outfit?” asked Siwan while glaring back at Jina, almost frustrated.

Jina spontaneously laughed. Siwan just chuckled. “Aigoo, that’s more like it. I haven’t seen your smile in ages.”

“What do you mean, we joked around with Manager Kim just two days ago,” said Jina.

“Yeah but you rarely even smile in a day. This is good! Keep up your good mood okay, whatever is making you happy. You will win gold medals more! Who knows we will eat in a fancy restaurant again,” babbled Siwan.

Jina nodded and smiled. “Oh by the way about that restaurant... My brother sent me a voucher to dine in any hotel restaurant. There are two vouchers, do you wanna use it? I don’t know who else I should ask.”

Siwan’s eyes sparkled. “Your brother? Song Seungho?”

Jina nodded. “Want to or not?”

Siwan nodded vigorously. “How did he get a voucher for you? Isn’t he in Japan now?”

“Yeah he sent me via email, while apologizing that he still can’t leave Japan. Business duties. I wonder why my family are all neglecting me,” said Jina in a pissed voice.

“Aigoo Jina. Am I your family? I am, right! Here, Siwan oppa, ready to take care of you anytime,” Siwan patted his own chest proudly.

Jina smiled. “You seem like a family to me. But not with the oppa, please. Nobody could take Seungho oppa’s place.”

Siwan grinned. “Fine, I still look too young anyway to be called oppa.”

Jina laughed and punched Siwan lightly. “Oh by the way the outfit is done right? Can I try it?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

uwaaaa~~! i reached more than 10 subscribers already!

thanks for subscribing, and also for commenting. your comments are the reason why i keep updating!

thank you so much for taking your time to read this and i hope you won't get bored, i prepared an interesting storyline already! :D ♥