Part 4

Ice Princess

“Dude, it’s two weeks left to Jina’s next skating competition! I preordered two tickets. Guess what, they are both front seats!”

Kyung sat down happily at the bar while watching Jaehyoo cook lunch. The smell was already tempting and Kyung was lightly beating his hands on the bar counter.

“Wait. Two tickets? Who are you going with?” Jaehyo turned around with a saucepan on his left hand and a spatula on his right.

Kyung grinned. “You! Surprise!!!”

Jaehyo widened his eyes and put the saucepan back on the stove. It made a loud clanging sound and Kyung nearly jumped out of his seat.

“WHAT? Why am I coming? Who told you to order? Why?!” asked Jaehyo insistently.

“Um.. is lunch already done?”

“Yah, Park Kyung, don’t change the topic! What’s with me watching the skate competition?” Jaehyo carefully turned off the stove and started serving. He eyed Kyung sharply.

Kyung gulped. “You promised to teach me take photos... remember?”

Jaehyo looked at the ceiling, thinking. Did I make a promise?

“Whatever. I am hungry. If you don’t want to watch it then I’ll just give the ticket to someone else,” Kyung stood up and headed for the plate.

“Look I don’t remember making promises but I’ll come, okay. If I did make a promise, I should keep it anyway,” Jaehyo walked back to the counter and started spooning for his own plate.

Kyung face went bright. “WOAH you’re so awesome, Jaehyo! Thanks, buddy!”

Jaehyo just let out a one sided smile and started eating.

~~~~~

Jaehyo lounged on the sofa, changing the channels again and again. Kyung left for his extra lessons. Jaehyo was home alone. He then started to think how Kyung felt being alone like almost every day. Jaehyo felt bad.

He looked at the clock. 4.15 pm. Perfect time to go out and have a coffee break or just simply walk in the park. Jaehyo got up and turned the TV off. He walked towards his room, grabbed his SLR and put on his jacket then left the house.

It was a fine afternoon. Jaehyo chose to go to the park where he hunted for photos a few days ago. He looked around and wasn’t surprised with the amount of people. It was almost crowded since the weekends are starting. A bunch of kids were running around, their parents watching from afar. A few couples were passing by. Jaehyo took a few shots of the scenes around him.

He was randomly taking snapshots when a figure caught his eye. He lowered his SLR which was covering his face and took a glance with his bare eyes.

Couldn’t be... her again?

Without noticing, his hands kept taking pictures. Jina’s model-like figures and perfect appearance was just too appealing for Jaehyo’s camera. He took a few steps closer but keeping himself hidden so that he won’t get caught.

He stopped and browsed through the photos he just took. He smiled while pressing the next button. She should be a model instead...

Jina’s expressions in the photos were cold and calm. It seems like she lives in a world where her happiness were meant to be stored inside. Jaehyo was practically amazed when a little boy passed him with his bicycle.

The little boy looked happy. Jaehyo then quickly took some shots of him but suddenly the boy lost his balance and fell from his bike. Before Jaehyo could run over to help, a young lady was already there, helping the boy.

Jina lifted the bicycle up before she kneeled down in front of the boy. The boy tried his best not to cry. His knee was wounded. Jaehyo saw Jina saying a few words to calm down the boy while blowing his wound gently. She then seemed to ask where his parents are, the boy responded by pointing to a bench near the fountain. Jina told the boy to climb on his back so she could piggy back him. Then she realized how on earth she could carry the boy while dragging the bike with them at the same time.

She looked around to find someone to help. Her eyes went back to the bicycle and Jaehyo was already there holding it. He smiled at Jina and the boy.

The boy smiled back. “Nuna, let’s go! Over there,” pointed the boy.

Jina started to walk while talking with the boy. Simply ignoring Jaehyo who was following behind.

I am here to help and what does she think I am? A rock?

They finally reached the little boy’s parents. His mother quickly took him off Jina’s back. Jaehyo gave the bicycle to the boy’s dad.

“Aigoo thank you so much, you two. It brings tears to my eyes whenever I see beautiful couples like you helping others like this,” said the mother.

Jina looked bemused. Jaehyo scratched his head.

“Ah, it’s not like that...”

“No, we aren’t...”

The two looked at each other after saying their own thoughts at the same time. The little boy giggled.

“Ah, you two acting all embarrassed. Go and enjoy your afternoon! Thankyou again for helping uri Majun,” said the father.

Jina and Jaehyo bowed at the same time. Then Jina left the place first. Jaehyo turned around and tried to catch up with her.

“What are you doing here? Stop following me,” said Jina.

“Pardon me? Ah.. ack! It’s so cold,” Jaehyo acted like he was shivering.

Jina took a quick glance. “Should have worn more layers then,” she said as she kept walking, this time faster.

“No, I didn’t mean that the weather is cold. You are,” said Jaehyo, somehow carefully.

Jina stopped walking. Jaehyo nearly bumped into her. Jina turned around.

“What do you want from me?”

“What? Well.. I was just wandering around the park and I saw the little boy. I figured that maybe you needed help, so...”

“Are you stalking me?” asked Jina. Her stare was so cold and sharp.

“What? N-no... I was just…” Jaehyo stuttered.

“Then what’s with you taking pictures of me?” asked Jina, slightly flinching her finger on Jaehyo’s camera.

Jaehyo made a nervous laugh. “Haha… me? Taking pictures of you? Miss, this park is so broad and maybe I was just taking pictures of the scenes. You just happened to be in a picture or two.”

“Maybe, huh?”asked Jina, skeptical.

Jaehyo let out a sigh. Jina frowned.

“I don’t know why on earth I keep meeting you. Are you still mad about that coffee incident?” asked Jina.

“Coffee? Ah, no.. Not at all,” Jaehyo wasn’t aware of himself being nervous. He even questioned himself why he was like this.

“Then why do I keep seeing you,” Jina half whispered while looking away.

Jaehyo smiled when he saw Jina’s frustrated acts. He immediately quitted smiling when Jina looked back at him.

“You know if you really feel bothered I could just go now,” said Jaehyo. He took a few steps backwards and did a 45 degree bow before he turned around and walked away.

“That punk,” murmured Jina. She then walked away herself and left the park.