Part 10 - Yearning

Ice Princess

Kyung was lounging on the couch as usual, watching his favorite TV series while nomming on a pack of Lays. He stretched out his neck to look at the door when it suddenly opened. A tired Jaehyo came walking in, he closed the door behind him and threw himself on the comfy lounge chair beside the couch.

“Got a bunch orders today?” asked Kyung.

Jaehyo simply nodded. Kyung likes how Jaehyo always smell like food whenever he comes home.

“Brought any leftovers?” asked Kyung again.

Jaehyo nodded. Kyung’s face lightened up. Jaehyo pointed at his bag in front of him. Without being told to, Kyung opened it and found treasure for himself. Puff pastry soup. Complete with its bowl.

“Wow I wonder how you managed to come home without spilling it all over your bag,” said Kyung, although he already knew that Jaehyo’s bag was like one of those delivery bags. Stiff, square, and keeps food warm.

“Anyway why is it only one bowl? Have you eaten?”

Jaehyo nodded. He wasn’t in an angry mode but he looked very tired. Kyung shrugged while walking towards the microwave to heat his soup. The moment he came back to the couch, Jaehyo was changing the channels randomly and ended up watching the show that Kyung was watching earlier.

“Are you okay?” asked Kyung. Again. He took a sip of his soup.

This time Jaehyo didn’t nod. Kyung wondered what happened.

“You know you can always tell me your stories,” said Kyung. He suddenly didn’t feel like eating but the soup is all heated. He started eating anyway.

Jaehyo yawned. “I feel tired than usual.”

“Then go sleep,” Kyung responded after swallowing a mouthful of soup and chips. He dipped the salmon flavored Lays into the puff pastry soup.

“I feel like my fatigue won’t go away,” replied Jaehyo.

Kyung ignored his buddy for a while and was seriously into his soup. For Kyung, food comes first. He eats like a jet plane, meaning he finishes his meal really fast. Kyung settled the bowl on the table in front of him and pat his own tummy.

“Thanks for the soup, Jaehyo!” said Kyung, happily.

Jaehyo nodded. Kyung pouted.

“Seriously what’s wrong with you.”

“I don’t know.”

“Did a customer complain about your dish?”

Jaehyo shook his head.

“Was the supervisor being a pain in the ?”

Jaehyo shook his head again.

“Then it isn’t a job problem, is it?”

“I don’t know,” replied Jaehyo in the exact, same flat and tired tone.

For the first time Kyung felt slightly annoyed. Jaehyo’s face was expressionless and tired. Kyung was so curious since Jaehyo usually comes home either in a bad mood or an okay mood, not in an undescribable mood like this.

“Fine I won’t ask. Go sleep or something. I don’t wanna watch my show with a living statue beside me, it’s creepy,” said Kyung, politely shoving Jaehyo away.

“I feel empty.”

“WELL EAT SOMETHING. Holy Mother of God! Why are you like this Ahn Jaehyo, this isn’t your usual habit,” Kyung had his nerves up to his head and he felt like squeezing Jaehyo’s flat face.

Jaehyo who planted his sight on the table all the time, finally looked at Kyung. Kyung blinked, slightly startled. “Oh what now?” he asked.

Jaehyo sighed. “Kyung I don’t know if I deserve to be your friend anymore.”

“WHAT?” Kyung half shrieked. Jaehyo sounds like he was going to commit suicide or something.

“You sure you wanna know what’s going on? But I am not sure myself. I don’t know. I don’t really know what I am feeling. It’s like waiting but not waiting. Missing? I don’t know,” Jaehyo started mumbling.

Kyung frowned. “What are you talking about? This is the first time I am seeing you like this.”

“Kyung you can hate me if you want.”

“WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT gosh you are making me nervous! Stop it and just spit it out!” Kyung almost pulled his own hair.

“It’s been weeks. Well not really. Days. I don’t even know how long it has been,” Jaehyo’s speech was really hard to understand.

Kyung frowned even more. “Are you drunk?”

“No! I don’t drink. Much. No really, I didn’t drink,” Jaehyo waved his hands in disapproval.

Kyung rolled his eyes. “Then what exactly happened, Ahn Jaehyo? Hey listen I have been your buddy since God knows how long. Whatever is happening you should tell me okay. I won’t even get mad. Promise.”

“Promise?” asked Jaehyo. This time he sounded like a little boy that has full faith in his daddy or something.

Kyung merely nodded.

“It’s been ages since we... since I... well, you know. Met Jina.”

Silence. For a few seconds. Kyung’s eyes were like almost about to pop out.

“You... miss her?” asked Kyung, randomly guessing but it actually hit the bullseye.

Jaehyo hesitately nodded. Kyung’s jaw dropped.

“WOAH. Ahn Jaehyo, you... really. YOU HAVE TURNED INTO AN ICE PRINCESS FANBOY!” Kyung jumped out of the couch and clapped once.

Jaehyo blinked. It wasn’t what he actually meant. Kyung looked at Jaehyo. “Or not.”

Kyung sat back down. “Don’t tell me... it can’t be. You are yearning for her?”

Jaehyo remained silent. “Like yearning, yearning? Missing? Longing?”

“Stop making me feel guilty, you cucumber,” Jaehyo weakly hissed.

Kyung chuckled. “It’s been a long time since you called me with that green vegetable name. No, seriously. OH I KNOW. OH MY GOD, JAEHYO.”

Jaehyo looked eerie seeing Kyung’s reaction. “What?”

“You’re in love.”

“WHAT?”

Kyung chuckled at Jaehyo’s startled reaction. “Being a fanboy and being in love is different okay. You are now experiencing the second case.”

“Wha.. why. How. I mean how, why are you concluding everything to your own thoughts! No it’s not like that I just..” Jaehyo stuttered and blabbered and just made Kyung pull out this teasing smile.

“Aaaaahaha you are stuttering! You only stutter when you are nervous. And you get nervous when you are in love. So that pretty much concludes everything. You like Jina,” said Kyung, proudly.

Jaehyo scratched his head. He was indeed nervous. “Even if it’s true, shouldn’t you be like, upset or something? Angry? Jealous?”

Kyung just laughed. “Yah, you truly can’t define my fanboy acts, can you? I have posters of Jina on my wall, a picture of her in my wallet and our selca together as my phone wallie. I’m a fan, okay. I love her.”

Jaehyo was about to open his mouth but shut it again the moment he heard Kyung’s last sentence.

“...in a fanboy way,” continued Kyung.

Jaehyo felt slightly relieved. “So you aren’t upset?”

Kyung shook his head.

“Mad?”

Kyung shook his head again.

“Jealous?”

“You trying to make my head fall off by shaking it left and right endlessly? Of course not! In fact I approve. So much. I was having presumptions before, especially every time you tell stories about Jina. I’m glad that my hypothesis is true!”

“Approve? Presumptions? Really?” Jaehyo looked at Kyung in disbelief.

Kyung nodded. “Go for it! I like her very much but when I finally met her it feels like I have achieved my lifetime wants. And now I am living in a platinum mood forever. Talking about The Sims, yo!”

Jaehyo finally chuckled. Kyung snapped his fingers.

“Now that’s more like it. You should be happy! It feels relieving, right? After you told me everything?” asked Kyung. His face wasn’t in denial. He truly was happy for Jaehyo, in a supportive way of course.

Jaehyo nodded. “Yeah. Kyung you seriously are the bestest buddy I ever had.”

“Aww how sweet but even without you saying it I already know I am your bestest friend ever. HAHA~!”

Jaehyo punched Kyung lightly on his arm, Kyung laughed and punched back. “Promise you won’t hurt her, though. It’s okay if you make her melt, but don’t make her break. She’s a fragile ice.”

Kyung’s last words sounded serious. Jaehyo took it in mind and nodded. “Thanks again, Kyung.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

another short-ish update~

i was wondering, what kind of update do you guys prefer? i long but once in a week update, or a twice in a week short update?

or both are just fine? XD

there you go! Jaehyo finally confesses. Let's see how he will make his next move ^^