Part 14 - How To Skate

Ice Princess

Jina was doing some spins when she saw someone entering the ice rink area through the huge glass window. She smiled when she noticed it was Jaehyo. She skated towards the window, tapped on it and waved.

Jaehyo noticed her and waved back. He looked around wondering where was the entrance to the ice rink. Jina pointed to a direction, Jaehyo quickly understood and walked to where Jina told him to.

A few moments later Jina saw Jaehyo entering the ice rink. She skated towards the entrance and was confused why Jaehyo was holding a pair of skates.

“You skate?” asked Jina.

Jaehyo shrugged. “I told the guy outside that I was just going to watch you but he offered me a pair of skates instead.”

Jina tilted her head. Jaehyo lied. He purposely asked for a pair of skates to the ahjusshi outside. He tried to hide his sly smile.

“Well, since I am done practicing...”

Jaehyo secretly pulled a long face. He thought that Jina was done with her practice and that they would leave the ice rink soon.

“...it’s such a waste for you carrying those skates around without trying them. You can skate, right?” continued Jina.

Jaehyo was again, secretly, felt blissful. “Actually I have no idea how to skate.”

Jina glanced at her watch. She still had some more time. “Put those on and I will teach you how to.”

Jaehyo’s eyes widened. “Are you serious?!”

Jina nodded. “Hurry up put them on.”

Jaehyo grinned like a fool as he hurriedly put the skates on. When he was done, he was in a sitting position. He looked around before looking at Jina.

“How am I supposed to stand up?”

Jina laughed due to Jaehyo’s baboness. Jaehyo merely blinked.

“Step 1 of how to ice skate, is finding good skates. You already are wearing skates so step 2 is trying to walk. There’s rubber matting you can walk on around the skate rink. Walk around to help maintain your center of gravity, but remember to keep your skate guards on,” explained Jina.

Jina sounded like Jaehyo’s personal coach. He obeyed and tried walking on the rubber matting available. Jina carefully walked beside him to observe.

“You can walk perfectly. Step 3 is getting on the ice. Walking around the edge of the rink while touching the wall will help you get a feel for the ice. The keys to skating well are relaxation and technique. Learning to walk will help give you ankle support and help you get used to the friction of the ice,” continued Jina. She stepped back on the ice and told Jaehyo to follow her.

“You sound like a pro,” said Jaehyo.

Jina scoffed. “I am a pro.”

“Oh my God, so cold,” said Jaehyo as he stepped on the ice.

“What do you expect? It’s the ice.”

“No, I meant you. You’re so cold,” Jaehyo looked at Jina, scared that he would be scolded.

Surprisingly, Jina just smiled and shook her head. “Step 4. Learn to maintain your balance. Start by holding your arms out at just below shoulder level,” Jina approached Jaehyo. “Pardon me,” she said, half whispering as she touched Jaehyo’s left arm and held it out. “Like this.”

Jaehyo felt shivers coming down his spine as he suddenly became nervous. Jina was this close to him.

“Bend your knees slightly and lean forward, not back. Try not to hold anything,” Jina skated to in front of Jaehyo and gave an example. Jaehyo copied her.

“Good! Step 5, once you maintain good balance, try skating a little faster. If you feel like you’re going to fall, bend your knees and put your arms out on the side of you.”

Jaehyo started skating forward. He secretly wished that Jina didn’t tell him how to prevent himself from falling, so that he could actually fall and pretend to be hurt so Jina would care.

“You know you’re actually good in this. I have a feeling you are lying that you can’t skate,” said Jina as she skated backwards in front of Jaehyo.

Jaehyo stuttered. “Wha... No! N-no I am... I mean I really can’t skate!”

Jina looked at him with a skeptical stare.

“I just learn things fast,” said Jaehyo, defending himself.

“Okay step 6. Try hard. I can see you are already good with it so let’s move on to step 7. Do squats. Stand up straight, feet at hip distance, and arms in front of you,” Jina ordered.

Jaehyo obeyed and did what he was told to.

“Now, squat slightly, just enough to find your center of balance, and repeat a few times until you feel comfortable.”

Jina observed Jaehyo attempting to squat. Jaehyo’s position was so awkward, Jina had to cover from laughing.

“When you’re ready, try squatting further down, just until you feel your knees bending,” continued Jina.

Jaehyo glanced at Jina.

“Keep your eyes looking forward at all times.”

Jaehyo then looked forward. Jina smiled holding her laugh in.

“Okay the next one. Step 8. Practice falling.”

“Sorry?” Jaehyo thought he heard wrong.

“Practice falling. Step 8,” Jina repeated.

Jaehyo tilted his head in confusion. “You need a practice on how to fall?”

Jina skated away leaving Jaehyo alone. Jaehyo was so blank, he merely blinked. Suddenly he heard some fast skating sounds. Just when he was about to turn around, Jina crashed into him, causing him to fall forward.

Jina skated away seeing how Jaehyo would react. He fell forward with his fists clenching to the ice. His knees were touching the ice. He panted.

“Yah!” shouted Jaehyo, in a state of shock. “What was that for?”

Jina smirked. “You have good reflexes in falling. If you fall with your hands first, it is a must to clench your fingers into a fist. You also pushed your arms out so you had a safe fall.”

“A safe fall? So, say that I fell safely but who knows I would die because of a heart attack! You didn’t have to crash into me, you could have just pushed me or something!” Jaehyo was panting and half shouting. He looked so shocked.

Jina felt bad. “Okay, I’m sorry.”

Jaehyo was still on ice. “How am I supposed to stand up?”

Jina chuckled. “Nice question! The next step, step 9, is practice standing up. Get your hands and knees and place one foot between your hands. Repeat with your other foot and lift up until you are standing...”

Jina hung up her speech and was practically speechless when Jaehyo managed to stand back up perfectly. “...again,” she continued.

“You definitely learn fast,” said Jina.

Jaehyo smiled. “You teach well.”

Jina started to blush but quickly shook it off. “Ready for the next step? Step 10. Move forward.”

Jaehyo noticed Jina acting nervous. He smirked before paying attention to her words.

“Lean on your weak foot, then push in a diagonal direction outwards with your strong foot. Pretend as though you’re shoveling snow behind and to the right of you. This will propel you forward.”

“But Jina,” said Jaehyo.

“What?”

“Both my feet are weak,” he said. Because of you...

Jina scoffed. “Oh come on. Just try. Then bring the right foot back in next to the left and repeat the process.”

Jaehyo managed to move forward perfectly, not like the ice babo he used to be when he first stepped on the rink.

“Step 11. Take longer and try to glide. If you try to give an extra flick of the toe or ankle at the end of each , you will get more power and become a more efficient and faster skater.”

“Like you?” said Jaehyo before Jina even finished her instructions.

Jina nodded and felt ridiculously proud. “Yep. Like me.”

Jaehyo laughed and followed Jina’s instructions. Jina was amazed how good he actually was.

“And finally the last step. Learn to stop.”

“We are stopping already?” asked Jaehyo, slightly pouting.

Jina found him very cute but kept it to herself. “You are already good in skating. To stop, bend your knees slightly inward and then push out with one of both of your feet. You should put a teensy bit of pressure on the ice so as your feet will not slide out from under you. When you stop, you should have created a little bit of ‘snow’ that was sheered off from the ice. Don’t worry if you don’t get this at first, but try and try again, you will get better.”

Jaehyo nodded and started skating forward. He skated a bit faster, causing Jina to catch a breath. Then he managed to stop perfectly, exactly like how Jina told him to. Even with the ‘snow’ sheered from the ice.

“Thank you, Ice Princess seonsaengnim,” said Jaehyo as he gave a 90 degree bow. Jina returned the bow and felt like a proud teacher. “However I would like to apologize to you.”

Jina tilted her head. “Why?”

Jaehyo skated towards Jina. “Because,” he said in a gentle voice. “I actually know how to skate. I skated since I was 13.”

Jina was speechless. Her jaw dropped. Jaehyo chuckled seeing her reaction. He skated backwards and immediately turned around to skate faster as Jina shrieked, yelled, and started chasing him on ice.

Two guys were watching from the huge glass window. Seungho watched his sister as she skated around the rink, ranting and trying to catch Jaehyo who was extremely fast. Siwan smiled and shook his head.

“No wonder she didn’t answer my calls. No wonder it took her more than 2 hours to finish her practice,” said Siwan.

Seungho nodded and let out a smile. “I guess the Ice Princess has finally melted...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is the cutest chapter i ever wrote lol this is personally my favorite!!!

how about you? XD

i will be flying to Australia this Sunday, will be staying there for 6 weeks.

during my stay i will try to post updates, okay? ^^

keep commenting! ♥