Part 20 - Everybody Loves Backhugs

Ice Princess

Hwayoung was ignoring the mess happening in front of her as she calmly turned the pages of a magazine. Jihee and Daehee were fooling around, laughing at loud, throwing each other any substance they found near them. Jina who was trying to watch her favorite TV series, was clearly annoyed.

Jina pressed the volume button and raised the volume up til Hwayoung had to throw her magazine away and close her ears. Jihee shrieked. Daehee did the same as Hwayoung. Jina finally turned the volume down when she was sure the room was silent.

"Girls, I'm trying to watch Merlin here," said Jina.

Hwayoung shrugged and went back to her magazine. Jihee and Daehee carefully sat beside Jina and joined watching. Just when Jina was about to focus on the movie, it ended. Jina stared in disbelief.

"What the hell?" Jina stood up and groaned angrily while throwing the remote on the table. It made a loud clanking sound. Jihee blinked and was scared that the remote broke the glass table. Daehee stood up to check at the table.

Hwayoung sighed and gave up reading her magazine. She stood up and followed Jina to the kitchen. Jina took a glass of cold water and sat at the bar. 

"You okay?" asked Hwayoung, pouring a glass of water for herself. Jina shrugged.

"Mind refilling my glass?" asked Jina, pushing her glass forward. Hwayoung smiled and put the jug back in the fridge after pouring Jina another glass.

Daehee and Jihee were whispering at each other, at certain times they start to giggle. Jina shouted at them.

"You know, I invited you guys here coz it just doesn't feel the same without Seungho oppa. I invited you not so you can run around like this place is a freakin park, or make noises like this is an amusement park," scolded Jina.

Daehee smiled and walked over to the kitchen. She pointed at the calendar on the fridge. Jina furrowed her eyebrows. "Notice how you are acting two times cranky than usual? It's coz your date is near."

"In other words," said Jihee as she got up and also followed Daehee to the kitchen. "Jina unnie is PMS-ing."

Hwayoung blinked. "No wonder!"

Jina rolled her eyes. "Both of you act like you know me since birth."

Daehee and Jihee looked at each other. "Well, not exactly but we've known you for years," said Daehee with a smile.

Jina felt bad for herself. "Sorry guys, I guess I am PMS-ing. Wait how do you know it's near my date? I can't even remember when was my period last month."

Jihee grinned. "Didn't we tell you that we know you so well?"

Hwayoung chuckled. Jina sniffed. "Not funny."

The atmosphere calmed down, Jina tried hard not to get angry even for the slightest comment. The four girls had a  gossip time, of course Jihee and Daehee were the ones being so loud. Hwayoung was the most lost one. Jina was the one only nodding and agreeing to every opinion that was given.

"Oh right," said Jihee, she settled her glass on the counter before resuming her sentence. "How are things with Jaehyo oppa, unnie?"

Jina squinted her eyes. "Did you just say oppa?"

Jihee blinked. "Well, he is, technically older than me."

"He doesn't deserve to be called oppa," said Jina sarcastically.

"Whoa whoa," Hwayoung started speaking up. "What's with the sarcasm? You guys didn't fight, did you?"

Jina shook her head. She wanted to give explanation when her phone started to ring. She merely stared at the phone that was far away from the kitchen. Hwayoung looked at her.

"Aren't you gonna get that?" asked Hwayoung.

Jina stretched her arms over the counter. "It's too far."

Daehee shook her head. She volunteered to get Jina's phone. While walking towards Jina, Daehee saw the contact name calling her. Her eyes widened as she saw it.

"Give it to me," said Jina, not noticing Daehee's face. Jina walked to the back yard while picking up her phone, without checking who was calling.

Jihee, who noticed Daehee's uneasy expression, asked her about it. "What's wrong, unnie?"

"Please tell me that my eyes are having problems. I am pretty sure I saw Jonghun's name," said Daehee, keeping her voice low.

Jihee gasped. Hwayoung looked up to Daehee. "Jonghun?" asked Hwayoung.

Daehee nodded. "Jina's ex. That retarded pretty boy," said Daehee. Hwayoung merely blinked.

Jihee suddenly got cranky. "What does he have to do with Jina unnie now? He messed up her life back then, why is he here now? Just when Jina unnie is happy with Jaehyo! This is not fair."

Daehee nudged Jihee. "Yah! Who are you to judge if this is fair or not? Who knows he has returned for.... for... a good cause?"

Jihee scoffed. "If an ex returns to you, it's either he is going to show off that he's doing well without you, or he wants to get back with you."

Hwayoung remained silent as the two girls keep suspecting on Jonghun. She saw Jina walking towards the kitchen, Hwayoung immediately told the two girls to shut up.

"Who was it?" asked Hwayoung calmly with a smile.

"Ah, nobody," said Jina, carelessly. The three girls looked at each other.

Jina couldn't believe that she still had Jonghun's number in her phone. She sure had her number changed, but she forgot she was using the same phone which means the contacts that were saved on the phone, remained there. The girls remained silent.

"Unnie do you want us to cook you dinner?" asked Jihee, breaking the silence.

Jina glanced at the clock. At the same time, her stomach rumbled. "Yeah of course! Make me something yummy."

Hwayoung looked at Daehee and nodded. Jihee escorted Jina to the living room while her two unnies started rading the fridge.

~~~~~

Siwan scribbled on his sketchbook, figuring out what kind of outfit suits Jina best for the tournament later on November. He would glance a few times at Jina, seeing how she is doing with her practice. Her manager was somewhere outside the rink. He purposely bought Jina a coach, since Jina was going to compete with professionals around the world.

They spent a 2 hour length practice, plus a 30 minute freestyle skating. The Hyatt Ice Rink wasn't open for public during weekdays. Siwan hurriedly pack his stuff and walked down towards the exit. Manager was already waiting there. The coach left earlier. 

"Have you seen Jina?" asked Manager Kim.

Siwan shrugged. "I thought she was already with you here?"

Siwan's phone suddenly rang. "Oh, Jina, what's up? Where are you?...... What?..... Yeah I got your bag, why?..... WHAT?"

Manager Kim furrowed his eyebrows, confused and curious about what they were talking about.

"Ah yeah yeah, I'll be there in a second. You sure there is no one else there? Okay okay I'm rushing there!" Siwan quickly hung up his phone.

"Could you hold this?" asked Siwan, handing over his sketchbook and bag to Manager Kim.

"What's going on?" asked Manager Kim.

Siwan skipped away leaving Manager Kim alone. Manager Kim just tilted his head in confusion. Siwan looked around and finally found the ladies restroom. He hesitated before he knocked on the door. "Yah! Song Jina!"

"I'm here! Just come in, there is nobody inside!" shouted Jina.

Siwan carefully pushed the door open. "Which closet are you in?"

"The second one."

"Okay," Siwan walked over and opened Jina's bag. He pulled something out of it. "Here, catch it!"

Siwan threw the pad over. Fortunately Jina caught it. "Thanks, Siwan! You can go out now."

After waiting another 3 minutes, Jina finally came out of the restroom. Siwan sighed in relief. "I thought something bad happened."

Jina took her bag from Siwan and started walking. "This is bad. I can't practice if my cramps won't go away," said Jina, hugging herself. 

"Ah, at this kind of time I am grateful that I'm a guy. I don't have to experience nasty periods every freaking month," said Siwan, with a y attitude.

Jina laughed. "Don't make me laugh!"

Siwan just grinned. Both of them reached the place where Manager Kim was waiting. "What took you guys so long? What happened?" he asked.

"Jina got her per... ouch!" Siwan was pinched by Jina even before he could finish his sentence.

"Girl problem! Let's go!" said Jina, leading the way.

~~~~~

Siwan and Manager Kim dropped Jina off outside a mall. She said she'll find dinner alone, it's safer that way rather than having both of them around her during her period. She's cold and calm but every month there's always a time where she gets furious as ever, over the simplest things. 

"I'll call you straightaway once I finish the design for your costume, okay?"

Jina nodded. She waved to Siwan. "Thanks. Thank you too, Manager Kim!"

Manager Kim who was driving, just nodded and drove away. Jina turned to face the mall and sighed. She walked inside and felt her phone vibrating. It was a message from Jaehyo.

From : Mr. Ahn

I see you.

Jina's eyes twitched. "Creep," she mumbled. Jina walked around to find a nice place to eat. She was feeling like getting some air so she chose an outdoor cafe on the 2nd floor. She ordered a drink and meal, and decided to sat at the balcony, near the glass fencing. It was a bit chilly that night, but she didn't mind.

Jina was waiting for her order to come when her stomach cramps attacked her again. She couldn't do anything with it, she kept tapping on the table, or standing up walking around her table. She felt so much pain, she almost thought of going home. As she held on tight to the freezing handrail of the glass fence, someone grabbed her hand.

"Hold on to me instead."

Her heart almost fell out when she thought it was a random creepy ahjusshi, but as she looked up, she was relieved to see Jaehyo in front of her.

"You freakin' scared me," said Jina, her voice so soft and squeaky she could barely speak another word again.

"Are you okay? Are you sick?" asked Jaehyo. He touched her hands, her forehead, and her cheeks. Jina merely shook her head. "Then what's wrong?"

Jina shook her hands off Jaehyo's and quickly go for the freezing handrail again. Jaehyo was confused and he followed her, continuously asking what's the matter.

"I'm having cramps, okay. Period cramps," said Jina. Jaehyo looked so worried.

"Does it hurt so much? Which part hurts?" asked Jaehyo.

Jina glared at him. "My head. Where do you think the red substance come from? Of course my stomach is the part that is hurting, you fool."

Jaehyo chuckled at himself being so stupid. "I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do for you?" Jaehyo looked around and noticed that the table has been served with food. "Come sit and eat."

Jina shook her head. "I lost my appetite."

Jaehyo grabbed the hot cup of tea from the table. "Would you at least drink this? Who knows it'll get better..."

Jina took a sip and immediately gestured Jaehyo to take it away. It was too hot and now Jina thinks she just burnt her tongue. She clinged on to the handrail again, ignoring how cold it was. Jaehyo was helpless.

"Do you usually take painkillers?" he asked. Jina shook her head. "Does any cream help get rid of the pain?" 

Jina shook her head again. She had her eyes closed now. Jaehyo sighed and stared at the served food getting cold. He couldn't bear seeing Jina in pain, moreover that the pain is undescribable and he could do nothing about it since he never and never will be feeling it. Jina kept changing positions from crouching, sitting, standing up, and others. She finally stood still and try to get rid of the pain.

Jaehyo stood up and quietly walked up to Jina's back. Jina's hands were both on the handrail, she was facing the outdoor scenery. Jaehyo carefully slid his arms around her waist. It made Jina jump a little before turning her head around.

"Yah! What do you think you're doing..." Jina couldn't struggle since she was wrapped tightly. Jaehyo rested his head on Jina's shoulder.

"Ssh. Stop whining, stop everything you're doing and just stay still. You're making me panic and I can't do anything to help," said Jaehyo, half whispering since his mouth was so close to Jina's ear.

Jina stood still. She definitely felt warmth since the moment she felt Jaehyo's arms around her. She looked down where Jaehyo's hands rested. She smiled quietly and touched his hand.

Jaehyo who had his eyes closed, instantly blinked and had his eyes open again. "What's wrong?" he said as he felt Jina's hand on his. Her hand was icy cold.

"Tighter," murmured Jina. Jaehyo smiled. He tightened his arms around her.

"Is the pain going away?" he asked. 

"Strangely, yes."

"Should I let go now?"

"What if the cramps come back?" asked Jina, half panicked, worried that Jaehyo would let go so fast. 

Jaehyo chuckled. "If you want to stay this way, just say so. Everybody loves backhugs."

Jina blinked. "You're saying that in general, right? Not like, you give everybody backhugs?"

Jaehyo couldn't help but let go and burst out laughing. Jina glared in confusion. "What?" she asked.

Jaehyo took a deep breath. "Of course I am saying that in general. I never backhugged anyone. I just know that everybody loves it coz there are so much scenes like that in the movies and people always say they want one."

Jina made an O face as she nodded. "Akh," she suddenly held her stomach again. 

"Is it hurting again?" asked Jaehyo. He quickly hugged Jina from behind again. Jina smiled sheepishly.

No, it's not hurting again. But pretending wouldn't hurt, would it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now this.... is the long chapter i promised you guys.

did you LOL at the part where siwan had to give jina her pads? XD

i wrote this chapter the day i published chapter 19, it would be such a rush if i post both chapters at the same time,

that's why i waitied for comments, and when people tell me to update, i just have to publish this one.

smart, no?

XD and welcome new subscribers ♥ leaving a comment wouldn't hurt ^^