Chapter 20: Wishing On The Stars

DARE ME!!!

Gerald stops the car…….. He look at Kim…. She look peacefully sleeping on the chair….. Nakatulog na ito sa haba ng traffic.. He took out a piece of paper on his pocket…… He have no idea how to date an emo girl…so he made some research….

“Rule number one………bring your emo girl to…..”… he didn’t finished his sentence dahil nagising na si Kim….

“Hmmn.. Nandi…….”….Kim’s eyes widened….. “Anong ginagawa natin dito?… may dadalawin ba tayo?”…she asked….looking around the place where Gerald bought her….

“Nope…. Kasi…this is our location!”…may pagmamalaking sagot ni Gerald… Nagresearch yata siya….so for sure..Kim will like the place…..

Kim gave Gerald a warning look….”Sabihin mo nagbibiro ka?!”….she said…

“No….I’m not kidding… bakit di mo ba nagusuhan…”…tanong ni Gerald…

Hampasin ko kaya ito ng car stereo,…..baka matauhan……. “Nagustuhan?…. Seryoso ka talaga no!! O sige…. Gusto ko!!! Gustong-gusto… at hayaan mo…. Ito ang most memorable event ng buhay ko……. Ilalagay ko sa slum book….most memorable day?”…she took a deep breath…crossing her arms on her chest……”My first date….is at the cemetery with a weirdo guy!!”….

“Galit ka?”…Gerald scratching his head….”I guess…the internet is not a useful research area…. I’m sorry Kim!! I’ll be honest……. I’ve dated so many girls before…pero none of them are like you..”… He grinned…”When it comes to you… I don’t know where to start…feeling ko…I’m lost…kasi ni hindi ko alam kung saan kita pwedeng dalhin….sorry kung di mo nagustuhan!…”…Gerald look disappointed…..

Naawa naman si Kim….kahit inis….matitis ba niya….. “…Ok…forgiven ka na…… pero pwede ba…. Umalis na tayo dito….feeling ko tayong dalawa lang ang nandito…kasama ang mga mumu…. Wala kang sixth sense diba?”….tanong ni Kim….habang palinga-linga sa sementeryo…

The car is parked under a big tree….infairness…the grass is really green…but has a white cross all over the place…

Gerald took out the piece of paper he printed out in the internet…..”Palpak naman itong website na ito….tignan mo…. Sabi dito…….. How to date an emo girl…. Number one…bring your emo girl to cemetery…… I guess I need to cross that out!”…Gerald grabbed a pen and cross it out…. “How about number two… abandoned rail tracks”.. Gerald look at Kim…for approval…

“Saan ka hahanap ng abandoned rail tracks dito na walang iskwater area…..saka anong gagawin ko don….magdasal na sana may dumaan na tren para ipasagasa ka!!”….Kim’s starting to be annoyed again….. Konti pa Kim… bigyan mo pa ng chance…. Konti pa!!

“Ok…sorry!! Sorry!! …how about number three….in your bedroom…… wag na!!”…Gerald ripped the paper….”this is a very useless list…. He starts the car….then start hitting the road….

Umuusok pa rin ang ilong ni Kim…. Sementeryo…. Sa lahat ng lugar….. Sementeryo pang pagdadalhan sa kanya…. Ano ba ang akala nitong lalaking ito sa kanya….mukhang bangkay!……..

“Wag ka ng magalit please!!”… Gerald grab her hand….and entangled his fingers to hers….. “I’ll try to make it up to you!! Promise!”…..

Oh…ayan Kim…. I’ll make it up to you daw….. Bawas na ang usok sa ilong mo….no smoke belching sa daan….baka mahuli ka ng pulis…… 1,….2.….3.…. 
Kim didn’t dare to go back to sleep…..baka mamaya kung saan na siya dalhin ng lalaking ito……… it was quite a long drive though….. Naiinip na si Kim…. Hindi rin naman siya kinakausap ni Gerald… she has no idea where is he taking her…… She was surprised to know they were heading to tagaytay.……

They stop on the same golf course where one of her family got married…….

“Anong ginagawa natin dito?”…she asked…

Gerald kept his silence….got off the car and open her door….guiding her to go down…. He lead the way to the golf course….Kim followed him….. To Kim’s surprise…..in the middle of the green grass and the manmade lake…there is a blanket laying in the grass with a picnic basket…………

Gerald sat in the blanket, while Kim kept standing on the side…..

“Halika……upo ka!!”…he said tapping the blanket on his side….

“Bakit dito…. Pano…..”…she was stunned that she could hardly say a sentenced…..

Gerald took out a radio component inside the basket….. A song played…she didn’t know the song….but it’s melting her heart….. Gerald stood up …and took her hands…..slowly guiding it to his neck…he secured her hands on his neck…before he reach her waist….and pulled her closer……

“I'd rather have bad times with you, than good times with someone else
I'd rather be beside you in a storm, than safe and warm by myself
I'd rather have hard times together, than to have it easy apart
I'd rather have the one who holds my heart”…

“Bakit……..?”…she wanted to ask a lot of questions…but Gerald stop her…

“Ssshhhhh….. Let the song be our moment…”….he held him tighter…..

Kim placed her head on his shoulder………….Tama…mamaya na ang q & a portion…. Let me just enjoy the moment……

The song was over….but Gerald still holding her tight…

“when you’re in doubt….just listen to that song… because that song made me realize that it’s you I needed in my life….and no one else…..”..he whispered….

Kims’ eyes remained closed…..she could fill his love…. His truthfulness…. And to her surprise…..she’s not running away from it……. Maybe she’s not that afraid anymore…..

“Kim…”…

“Hmmnnn…”…

“I’d rather stay on this position for the whole day….kaya lang….kanina pa ako gutom….”…

Kim lift her head…..and hit him on the forehead…..”kahit kailan …panira ka ng moment!!”…she smiled….

“Aray!!…. Uuuyy….nagwagwapuhan ka sa akin no…..may batok na naman ako eh!!”….he teases her…

“Gago!!…lika na nga…kumain na tayo.. Ikaw ba ang naghanda nito? “…she asked…

“Yap….ako ang gumawa niyan…. Kagabi pa ako dito… sabi ko sa guard dito…na ihanda itong place na ito….kasi memorable ito sa ating dalawa…. We had our first dance here..remember?”…he answered….

“Eh….ano yung sa sementeryo?”….she asked…

“Wala yon…props lang yon….pero if you decided to stay in that place….meron na rin akong ready na food sa car…with matching table cloth…para dun tayo sa isang nitso kakain…….” he winked at her….

“Grabe ka….sementeryo?…anong akala mo sa akin? “…she chuckled…

“Eh kasi diba…most emo person….they rather spend their time in the cemetery….or some lonely place….but I guess your not really an emo person…”…he took a bite on a sandwich… “you’re a wanna-be-emo girl!”…

“anong wanna-be?… Sira… “..she paused….cleared … “Nung bata pa ako….I was really a happy kid…. Spoiled by mom and dad….but when my mom left!…” she cleared .. ” We didn’t have any idea why she left… all I know is that Dad was devastated…. He was crying all night….drunk all day… until he decided to left me with Auntie Pokie… I have so many “Why’s” in my heart…. I want to know what’s going on… That’s when I start hanging out with Mel and Matt who at that time was an orphan…. The three of us were inseparable …. It was Matt’s idea to start wearing an emo style… sabi niya kasi nakakaintimidating daw……..saka hindi na kami guguluhin ng mga taong walang magawa kundi manghusga….”…. she said…

Gerald reach for her and guide her on his side…..”Are you mad at your Dad and Mom?”…he asked…

“Nope….nawala na yung galit…..but I just want to know why they gave up on me? If I’m not good enough for them kaya they did it?… Na hindi ba ako worth it na mahalin…that’s why they decided to left me…”. …she look down…

Gerald lift her chin….”Kim….you are worth it na mahalin… you are way too good enough to be loved… I’m here for you…. I’m staying…kahit wala akong pinanghahawakan na kahit ano…. You always pushed your self down…when in fact…you are lovable to me…to Auntie Pokie….to Mel and Matt….” he traced his fingers through her cheeks…. “you are special!”…

Kim’s eyes moistened…. “I’m so afraid of people like you! “..

“Like me?”…Gerald asked…

“Like you…na normal….na happy-go-lucky …. Na walang iniisip kundi sarili nila… but…you prove me wrong Mr. Anderson….” she smiled…

Gerald smiled…”Does this mean…..I’m getting nearer ?…”…

Kim smiled…. And took a bite on the bread….

“What’s the smile for… so am I getting nearer?”..he asked again…

“Kumakain ako…”

“Ang daya mo talaga!!”…sabi nitong kakamot-kamot ng ulo…

They finish eating…..

“Gerald….may tanong ako?”…

“Ano….kung mahal ba kita?”…he asked…

“Sira!! Hindi yon… kasi ….remember nung Nagkasakit ka…. Bakit wala kang kasama sa bahay niyo?”…

“Aaahh… kasi my mom and dad are out for business….kaya wala akong kasama… I’m used to it… kasi since I was young…ganito na ang set up namin… If I want to get what I want….they have to work all the time…”…he nodded…

“Bakit parang balewala lang sayo?”…she asked…

“Kasi… when they’re home naman… They make sure I’m okay… Plus…now that you and Auntie Pokie are here… I would never be alone again!”…he smiled…

Kim smiled….Me too…as long as you’re here… I’ll be okay…. Her mind said….

The picnic went well…..alteast walang pressure na nangyari… Kim was pleased for Gerald’s effort… Nasa kotse sila ng may maalala siya…….

“Teka..you said we are going to mall….to movies…kaya nga nagpamakeover ka diba?”…she asked…

“Nah…. Hindi ko gagawin sayo yon… I know how you hated being around with a lot of people… I’d rather keep you safe here with me….” he answered….

Kim smiled….closed her eyes…. Umaapaw na yata ang puso niya….. She felt the car stops….she opened her eyes….

Gerald was looking at her intently…..nearing himself to her… He stops just inches away from her…. She waited for the kiss…but to her dismay… he reclined her chair… “Go to sleep….princess..”…he whispered….while buckling her seatbelt….

Kim tried to hide her dismay…she faced the window…. Tignan mo itong hinayupak na ito…. Magaling mangakit…di naman totohanin…. Nakatulog siya sa sama ng loob….but just to woke up with another surprised….

“Matt told me you used to like to seeing the stars….and wish on it…”…he said…

They were parked in the middle of a beach resort where she can see darkness and just the stars and moon…

“Tara..”..yaya ni Gerald….

They went out the car and sit in the front of it…. Gerald layed down…while enjoying his stargazing… Kim copied him….

“Yap… Sa wakas may nasabi din si Matt na maganda…… Gustong-gusto kong panoorin sila…”..pointing to the stars…. “lagi akong nagwiwish when I was younger…..pero nagsawa na ako… “.. she grinned…

Gerald neared himself to her…. Change his position where he could see her…. “Don’t get tired of wishing…. Kasi yun lang ang libre dito sa mundo…. Don’t get tired of hoping… Kasi…. Dream do come true… Tignan mo ako… I ask for a girl who would complete my life…. Then He gave you to me…”…he neared himself…

Kim look at him…waited for the kiss she was longing for…. But to her dismay… he stop just inches away… giving her a naughty smile….he was teasing her…

Kim chuckled….”ang kupad!!”…she said…then put her hands around his neck and pulled him closer…..
Gerald laugh his heart out….”I knew it….pinagnaasaan mo rin ako!!” …and kiss her…

Sana wag ng matapos ang gabing ito…please stars….make it last…..make the happiness last……she wished…..