7.

Forgetful Minds

 

It’s 7pm when Kris makes his way to back to the dance studio to pick Yixing up. They had spent most of their time in the café teasing Xiumin and trying to get him to admit his liking for Tao, amidst Tao’s protests that they were being ridiculous. Kris chuckles as he remembers how the bun boy had blushed red when Tao thanked him for serving them. And Kris is certain that Tao has taken to the waiter as well, judging from the way he kept tilting his head in the direction of the counter where the said one was hiding.

He wonders as his feet come to a stop before the dance studio. Silently pushing the door open, he cautiously peeks in, not wanting to disrupt Yixing’s dance practice and for a moment everything fades away into the background as his eyes focuses on the scene before him.

Mesmerized. That’s what Kris is. There is simply no other way to describe it. He watches as the lithe dancer moves his body according to the electronic beat, his face furrowed with concentration, as he nails every move perfectly, every step flowing into the next smoothly.

Sure, Kris has seen Yixing dance before, during his classes with them.  But this Yixing is different from the Instructor Lay he sees everyday in class. Gone is the kind and gentle look he has as he patiently guides them during the lessons, gone is the playful look he has as he cracks random jokes or unintentionally says something funny that cracks everyone up. Replaced with, is a look of fierceness and determination. It’s a beautiful sight.

Yixing flops onto the floor of the dance studio, the cool wood a welcoming relief to his hot sweaty body. It has been a long day and he is exhausted. But for the first time, he is pleased with the progress he has made. His mind runs through the day’s events and he stops at the memory of a certain clumsy tall blonde flailing helplessly as he loses his balance while trying to follow Yixing’s steps. Yixing laughs quietly to himself, a smile playing on his lips.

He slides his phone out of his pocket. 7.15pm. The dancer sits up and runs a tired hand through his hair as he wonders when is Luhan coming. Just then he spots a movement through the reflection of the wide glass mirror. He turns and is surprised to see Kris standing at the doorway.

“Yifan?” he calls out carefully.

Kris is startled out of his trance at the sound of his name and he flushes red at being caught staring.

“I-uhm Luhan had to send Sehun home, so..so he asked me to pick you up first. He will meet us back at the dorm….” He stutters and trails off as he waves his hands stupidly trying to explain. Idiot Yifan, now he must think you are some creepy stalker who likes staring at him. He mentally chides himself as he wills the heat from his cheeks to go away.

Yixing merely gives a small smile and nods in understanding before jumping up and grabbing his bagpack.

The cold autumn wind bites at his skin the moment they step out of the building. Kris shivers and pulls his warm jacket around him tighter. He has never been too glad that he had been too lazy to unpack his scarf from his bag after using it the last time, and now the said item rests snugly around his neck.

He turns to the dancer who is walking beside him just in time to catch the younger one shiver in the cold breeze. Yixing has his head down, fringe covering his eyes as he tries to avoid the chilly wind from blowing into his eyes. Kris watches as Yixing buries his hands deeper into his pockets, trying to keep warm. He frowns at the thin sweater on Yixing’s small body. It’s nearing winter now and the weather has been horribly cold, does Yixing not know better than to walk around in just a thin sweater and shirt?

“Are you cold?” Kris suddenly asks and Yixing looks up as the older one breaks the silence.

“N-no” he denies but his voice betraying him as another shiver runs through his body.

“Liar” Kris mutters as he removes his scarf and winds it around the younger’s neck, patting it gently into place.

“You didn’t need to-” Yixing starts to say. “But thanks” he sighs in relief as the warmth wraps around him. “I always tend to forget that I’m not in China. I’m used to the cold in China. Somehow the cold in Korea is much worse, I don’t know why” he continues.

“Pabo” Kris replies and receives a nudge in his ribs from Yixing.

For a moment the pair walk together in comfortable silence, enjoying each other’s presence in this cold autumn evening in Seoul.

“So… why did you choose to join the dance sabbatical?” Yixing asks, breaking the silence.

“I didn’t. The stupid sabbatical chose me” Kris scowls as the memory of how he got into dance floods back into his mind.

“I know” Yixing chuckles lightly, dimple showing.

“What?” Kris is confused. “You knew?”

“Yeah I kind of figured, from how you like to stand at the back row of the class. And how you fail at dancing” Yixing replies, laughing softly at the thought.

“What? I do not!” Kris attempts to deny.  “I’m just being considerate, since I’m tall and all. So standing at the back won’t block anyone’s view…” he finishes lamely.

“You forget that I am the teacher and that there are mirrors everywhere in the dance studio,” Yixing grins. “And also I can read my students. I can tell how Jongin is passionate about dance and he is a good dancer. I can tell how Jongdae has his hopes of being a dancing machine and he tries hard to be one. And how you absolutely detest dancing and hope that I won’t take notice of your mistakes by standing at the back” Yixing continues, looking at Kris in the eye this time, a mischievous twinkle visible.

“How-” Kris is taken aback by how sharp Yixing is. And for a moment he is afraid that the brunette can read him too well that he even knows that Kris harbours a crush on him.

“You are really observant for a forgetful person” he finishes and this time it’s Yixing’s turn to be surprised. “Who told you I’m forgetful?” he asks curiously. He had been really careful after coming to Seoul, and he is somewhat amazed that Kris can see through him so easily.

“Luhan,” the blonde replies. Oh, he had forgotten that Kris was roommates with his best friend.

“But I don’t see how being forgetful prevents me from being observant” Yixing pouts a little and Kris melts a little at how cute the younger one is right now.

“Well, forgetful people always give me the impression that they are too blur and immersed in their own world. Which is why they are forgetful” Kris replies giving a nonchalant shrug.

“Not me” Yixing retorts.

“You’re weird” Kris teases playfully.

“Well then, who says that people who are not forgetful are observant?” Yixing challenges as he turns to Kris.

“I say so”

“That’s stupid,” Yixing pouts again. “Cause I’m sure that even you are so immersed in your own world that you cAN’T SEE THE PILE OF DOG POOP IN FRONT OF YOU” Yixing suddenly raises his voice and grabs Kris’ arm, pulling him away from whatever he is about to step on. Kris yelps and dodges out of the way, jumping around as he tries to look at his shoe and the ground at the same time. When he finally stops to look properly at his surroundings, he frowns as he sees the path in front and behind him clean of anything that resembles dog poop, except for some fallen leaves and twigs. And then he looks up to see Yixing doubled up in laughter, clutching his own stomach as he points at Kris, laughing gleefully. And then realization dawns onto him as he finally realizes that the younger one has tricked him and made a fool out of him. Oh god I must have looked so stupid.

Kris would have gone up to Yixing and gotten his revenge on the dancer but the sight of the younger one laughing, warm eyes shining with gleeful tears, his soft brown hair flying in the wind and his own scarf wrapped around the smaller one’s neck stops him. So he chooses to just simply stand there and keep this beautiful memory in his heart. And for the second time today, he is blown away by the beauty of Zhang Yixing. 

Ok so my laptop decided that it was a really good idea to die on me. So i had to type this chapter up on my phone, which isnt the best idea really. Which also explains why I wasnt able to update on Wednesday night. Thank god my dad had my laptop fixed and I have it back today!! Haha here's a long awaited update for you guys~ I'm in the midst of another update, but not sure whether I'll be able to post it up today ><

More krislay moments for you guys teehee ^^ i promised yeah i know i did! Thank you to all new subscribers and for all your comments! They are all that keep me going ^^ I'll try my best to update regularly. But for now I can only promise a max of 2 updates per week cos my teachers are cruel and have started drowning us in the sea of homework ;A; Enjoy!! <3333