11.

Forgetful Minds

 

Over a simple of lunch of dumplings and fried rice at a small Chinese restaurant that Kris frequents, Kris learns a lot about Yixing than he has done in the past week. He learns how Yixing doesn’t eat the green beans in his fried rice and chooses to pile them in a corner of his plate or Kris’ plate instead. He learns how Yixing doesn’t like to eat hot desserts but is perfectly fine with eating steamed buns with sticky sweet paste in it. He learns how Yixing’s dimple works wonders even on babies. He learns how Yixing has a way with people, that his calm and cheerful demeanor has everyone charmed within minutes. He learns why he fell in love with Yixing in the first place. Because Yixing is everything he is not.

The baby at the table next to theirs has been crying for the past fifteen minutes, and even the frantic attempts by his mother to quieten him down is futile. Kris kneads his forehead with his knuckles trying to ignore the intense screaming beside him.  Annoyed murmurs fill the restaurant as the other customers send irritated looks in the mother’s way. Looking increasingly uncomfortable, the mother carries her wailing child and is about to leave her finished meal behind when Yixing pushes his chair back and walks over to the mother and child.

“There there,” Yixing coos as he holds out a piece of candy.

Kris leans back in his chair, expecting a new wave of kicking and screaming from the child. But to his surprise, the child stops struggling in his mother’s arms and turns to look at Yixing. His small fists unfurl and slowly reach out to the candy in Yixing’s palm. Miraculously, the child’s wails dwindle down into sniffles as he buries his head into his mother’s neck.

Yixing smiles and reaches out to ruffle the little boy’s hair, eliciting a small giggle from the toddler.

“I know you are a good boy,” Yixing beams, his dimple indented on his cheek and he chuckles as the toddle reaches out to a tiny finger to poke the dimple, a gurgle of laughter sailing through his lips. The mother gives a sigh of relief and gives a grateful nod to Yixing who simply smiles and pats the little boy’s cheek before returning to his seat.

The tense atmosphere slowly morphs back into an easy one as the other patrons in the restaurant crane their necks to send appreciative looks towards Yixing which only makes Yixing embarrassed at the unwanted attention.

“Kris,” Yixing nudges him with his foot, pulling him out of his thoughts. “Can we get out of here please?” Kris nods and the both of them head to the counter to pay.

Kris watches as Yixing chats happily with the ahjumma, turning every now and then to smile at Kris, sending a flurry of butterflies into his stomach.

“You guys are a really cute couple,” the ahjumma says, a warm smile on her face as she totals up their bill.

At this, Yixing blushes red and looks away while Kris rubs his head awkwardly.

“Uh- we are not together,” Kris explains trying to hide the flush that is slowly creeping across his face.

“Ah,” the ahjumma smiles nodding and hands the change over to Yixing.

Yixing returns a smile and bows before leaving the restaurant, the wind chime hanging by the door tinkling in his wake.

They watch as Yixing playfully blow out puffs of air in the cold weather, looking very much like an adorable puppy instead of a twenty year old man.

“He’s a keeper,” the ahjumma muses, a soft smile on her face as Kris quietly watches Yixing, a smile tugging on his lips. I know.

---

It’s a few tutoring sessions later when Kris finds the small notes slipped in different places of his bag. In between his books, wedged in between his wallet and at the bottom of his bag. They spill out of his bag, fluttering and scattering to the floor when he flips his bag upside down trying to find his pen.

“Don’t you ever tidy your bag?” Luhan says, clicking his tongue at the mess before him.

“I have no idea where these come from!!” Kris protests as he bends down to pick them up. “I don’t-” he stops mid-way as he reads the contents of the notes.

Luhan watches as a smile creeps onto the older’s face and curiosity gets the better of him.

“Give it back!!” Kris attempts move his hand out of the shorter one’s reach, but Luhan is too fast. He crows in delight as he takes in the contents of the notes, excitedly reading one note after another, the notes fluttering onto the ground after he is done with them.

 

Hey Yifan, thank you for helping me today.

Yixing

 

Sorry for subjecting you to my bad English during tutoring sessions :(

Yixing

 

Yifan, stop hiding at the back of dance classes.

I’ll pull you to the front one day, just wait and see.

Yixing^^

 

Yifan, I mean it when I say I'll make you stand in front with me the next time you hide at the back of the class. 

Yixing

P.S: And stop using your height as an excuse. Not working. 

 

etc etc .....

 

“Oh, so Yixing writes you love letters?” Luhan crows, clearly delighted at the red flush that crawls up Kris’ neck.

“Shut up, they are not love letters. They are just notes,” Kris mumbles as he gathers the papers from the floor, clearly embarrassed.

“Just notes huh, I see…..” Luhan teases enjoying the clear discomfort written all over Kris’ face. But Luhan is smiling widely, as he remembers the box of notes and letters tucked safely under his desk.  

Luhan never understood why Yixing left letters or notes for him when he could just text him or even call him. And it was even more ridiculous to do so, especially since the both of them saw each other every single day. But Luhan gradually came to realise that this was Yixing’s way of showing his affection for him, and after a particularly bad fight with the former on one occasion where the two stubborn boys ignored each other till no days to end, the small pieces of paper slipped quietly uner his door was an indication that Yixing still wanted him back as a best friend.

Yixing was most probably the most sentimental and quietly affectionate person ever, but that was what Luhan loved him for. It made Luhan feel safe and comforted, that there was always someone thinking about him and looking out for him. And now it seems that Luhan has to share Yixing with Kris. Even though Luhan is a little bit disgruntled by it, but he at least he has Sehun. And at least it shows that Yixing is finally opening up to someone else other than him.

Well done Kris, you‘re getting there. 

 

 

asdjabhsidbh sorry late update! hope you like the latest update! ^^ andand, 100 subscribers!! \o/ thank you to all of you for subsrcibing and commenting! i'll reply comments later cos i have to rush off for my lesson soon! and before i go, (i know its a little late, but) thank you to yunjaeforStaceyHoneybunsdcyseokyuyifanduizhang and ---EXOtic_396 for upvoting my story! you guys are seriously the best! ^^ lots of love and hugs to all of you!!! <333