13.

Forgetful Minds

*the words in green are spoken in english

 

13th February 2013. The date reflected on his phone stares back unblinkingly at Kris. And the more Kris stares at it, the more he is reminded of what day it is tomorrow. 14th February 2013.

Valentine’s Day

It usually doesn’t matter to Kris, since he is the one who usually receives an overwhelming amount of chocolates and love letters from the girls in his school. But this time it’s different.

For the very first time, Kris is going to do something for Valentine’s Day and the thought of it sends his stomach churning. Not because he is disgusted, but because he is nervous.

Giving a loud sigh, Kris runs a hand through his hair in frustration. He has finally decided to confess to Yixing tomorrow but he isn’t really sure how to go about doing it. He had spent the entire night searching on the best way to confess to Yixing but somehow the ideas on the internet were too cheesy, too romantic or too attention-grabbing. They just weren’t something that would fit Kris’ personality or something that Yixing may seem to like, and Luhan wasn’t much help either, telling him that Yixing “doesn’t  need anything at all, just you”.

A series of gentle knocks on the door sends Kris fumbling to hide the box of chocolates as he kicks Luhan’s mess of clothes away before hastily opening door while trying to smooth his hair out, attempting to look presentable.

“Busy?” Yixing peers up to him with bright brown eyes.

“N-no, come in,” Kris stutters as he opens the door wider to allow the younger boy in for his tutoring session.

Yixing spreads his books on the table and settles himself comfortably in his seat, before flipping his books open. “I did these yesterday, not sure if I did them correctly though,” he says as he pushes the book towards Kris.

“Hmm, not bad. You have improved since the first time,” Kris answers, his pen crossing and correcting the minor errors on Yixing’s work.

“Probably because I have a good tutor”

Kris pretends he does not hear the compliment, and chooses to focus on correcting the work in front of him, but the red flush on his cheeks says otherwise.

There is a moment of comfortable silence as Yixing reads a passage Kris has assigned to him, alternating between highlighting sentences and scribbling down notes at the side.

Kris chooses to use this moment to observe Yixing instead. His eyes outlines Yixing’s face, how Yixing’s eyebrows are furrowed in concentration and how his mouth quirks to the side. He takes in the smooth curve of the younger’s face and how his shirt dips to reveal his collarbones and the milky skin beneath. It’s a pretty picture really, and Kris has never seen an even more perfect being in his life. He closes his eyes for a moment, imprinting the image in his mind, a perfect reminder to why he loves Yixing.

“Yifan,”

“Hmm?”

“What does ‘affectionate’ mean?” Yixing asks, not looking up as he underlines the word with his pen, frowning as he attempts to fit in possible meanings into the word based on the context of the passage.

I love you

The three words which have been on the tip of his tongue since the very first day spills out of his mouth.

A confession.

 Kris stills and his eyes fly open as the realization of how those three words slipped out of his mouth without him meaning to.

His throat is dry as he watches Yixing’s pen freeze mid-sentence, his thoughts frozen at the sudden confession. Because if there is a sentence that Yixing understands perfectly well in English, it would be “I love you”.

Yixing finally turns to him, his clear brown eyes a swirl of emotions, fingers twisting the pen in his hand nervously.

“Yifan, I-”

A shrill rings breaks the terse atmosphere and both of them jump at the sudden sound, the pen falling from Yixing’s fingertips with a thud on the table. Kris presses a hand against his chest, feeling the erratic beating from his heart as he watches Yixing fumble around for his phone. 

“Yixing, I need your he-help,” Luhan’s hysterical sobs are heard over the phone causing Yixing to panic.

“Wait, Lu??? Is that you? What happened!!!” a worried look flits upon Yixing’s features as he turns to look at Kris who is unable to utter a word from the sudden transition of events.

“Ju-just come, come alone, Yixing please,” Luhan begs and Yixing hastens his movements as he hears his best friend choke back another sob.  

 “Where are you, I am coming, hang in there,” Yixing says quickly into the phone as his hurriedly sweeps everything into his bag, zipping it up quickly and picking it up.

As Yixing moves towards the door, he stops in his tracks, turning to Kris with an apologetic look on his face. He opens his mouth to say something but Kris cuts him off with an awkward wave of his hand.

“Go, Luhan is waiting,” he says plastering a smile on his face. “I’ll be fine,” he adds. No, I’m not.

Yixing looks at him with a mixture of worry and apology but nods and returns a small smile. And then he turns and disappears out of the doorway, gone in a flash.

And this time, Kris does nothing to hide loss and emptiness in his heart.

---

“You made me rush all the way here to help you with your Valentine’s Day shopping.”

It’s not a question but a statement as Yixing looks incredulously at his best friend who is standing before him with a wide grin on his face, sounding and looking nothing like the sobbing hysterical boy over the phone.

Luhan simply nods, looking at him out of his doe-eyes and Yixing can already feel his inner resolve crumbling. He turns away, sighing while shaking his head in exasperation. He cannot believe that he had left Kris hanging to help Luhan with something so trivial like his Valentine’s Day shopping.

The image of Kris faking a smile as he waves Yixing off flashes in his mind and Yixing cannot help but feel guilty. The sudden confession took him by surprise and Yixing had no idea how to react to it. On one hand, Yixing was grateful for Luhan’s distraction but on the other hand, a part of him wanted to return to Kris

This whole situation is a mess. He thinks to himself as he walks glumly in circles, kicking the autumn leaves on the pavement at the same time, causing a shower of red and gold to fly in the air and flutter to his feet again, almost like butterflies. Just like how Yixing feels when Kris looks at him for too long, just like how Yixing feels when Kris confessed to him just now.

“Xing, you’re not mad at me are you?” Luhan whines as he pulls the younger closer to him. “Come on, I’ll treat you to ice-cream later,” he continues.

Yixing opens his mouth to argue but Luhan is already dragging him in the direction of the shopping mall.

---

Yixing doesn’t know what to do. He is sure that he loves Yifan. His heart skips a beat whenever he catches Yifan staring at him, making him feel all self- conscious. His lips unconsciously pull up into a smile whenever Yifan laughs. There is always a spark of electricity whenever he comes in contact with Yifan and Yifan never fails to make him comfortable despite of the place or situation he is in. And strangely, he feels at home the most whenever he is with Yifan, even though it has been two weeks since he first met the older.

He doesn’t know if he should tell Luhan though. Luhan has always been the overprotective older brother he never had and Yixing was grateful for that. But this time, Yixing isn’t sure if Luhan will approve of Yifan or write him off like the other guys before Yifan. But Yifan is different and he knows it.

“Earth to Yixing~”

Yixing blinks out of his reverie, taking in the surroundings for the first time.

“Your ice-cream is melting” Luhan pokes him with his spoon and Yixing looks down only to find a puddle of chocolate gloop in the cup.

Sighing, he spoons the remainder of his ice-cream in his mouth, enjoying the coolness travelling down his throat.

“So spill,” Luhan says, looking at him seriously. “You have been spacing out and it’s worse than last time,” he continues.

Yixing raises a brow at Luhan. “Really now, worse than last time? Stop exaggerating,”  it goes unspoken but Luhan understands him perfectly well.

“When I held up a unicorn shirt and a crazy frog shirt, you pointed at the crazy frog shirt,” Luhan says with a cocked brow, daring Yixing to challenge his statement any further.

And Luhan is right, because Yixing would never pass up anything related to unicorns.

“So?”

“It’s just… Yifan confessed to me just now,” Yixing finally admits.

There is a gasp as Luhan stares at him as if he has just said that he is getting married.

“Kris confessed” he repeats and Yixing nods, unable to look at the older. He braces himself for the, “no way you are going to say yes because…” just like the other times he told Luhan so-and-so liked him.

But it never comes.

“That idiot couldn’t wait till tomorrow huh,” Luhan opts to say instead, shaking his head before goes back to eating his ice cream.

Wait what? Yixing’s head shoots up in surprise.

“You mean you’re not going to stop me?” he asks disbelievingly.

Luhan looks at him like he is mad and starts laughing, his jaw opening widely in his usual trademark laughter.

“Uh, no?? You mean you were worried about me stopping you?” he says in between gasps of laughter.

“But you have always-”

“You like Kris right?” Luhan cuts in, finally calming down enough to look at Yixing seriously in the eye.

“Y-yes,” Yixing nods his head shyly, unable to hide the red tint in his cheeks, because he has never felt so strongly about someone before. Not even Luhan even when everyone convinced him that Luhan would be the perfect boyfriend. And Luhan felt the same as well.

“Go for it Xing,” the older one encourages with a smile. “I trust Kris.”

And it’s all that it takes for Yixing to reach across the table to engulf Luhan into a tight embrace, the weight in his heart removed. Luhan pats Yixing on the back, smiling into the crook of the younger’s neck. He is happy that Yixing has finally found someone whom he can trust, someone whom he can rely on. Take good care of him Kris. He’s yours now.

 

here you go! kris finally confessed! (even though he didnt mean to!) but he still did! and then there's yixing who is worried that luhan will disapprove hehe. anws, sorry for the late update! i had other fandom committments and not to forget schoolwork as well. and heads up, my exams are coming in 3 weeks time so i can only update once a week. but if i can update more, i definitely will! ^^ thank you everyone who has been reading and commenting and even to all those silent readers as well THANK YOU ^^ and also to  pika-ninja, aimeime, fr_unicorn, leolliepop, Sunshadow, Myakyuji07 and Hyoneschwan, thank you so so much for upvoting my story! never expected to receive so much support and love ;A; you guys are the best ever! <3333