3.

Forgetful Minds

 

Kris holds the ipod touch, fiddling with it and turning it around in his hands as he stands awkwardly at the side, wondering whether to interrupt the best friends’ reunion. Luhan has his arm slung on Yixing’s shoulder and is happily chatting with Yixing as Yixing keeps his things in his bag and gets ready for class. Kris observes Yixing carefully for the first time. The brown haired boy is just as Luhan said, pretty. He is pale and skinny but not in the unhealthy way. There is a certain kind of grace in his movements, a kind of grace that Kris would not have been able to achieve even if he tried. The grace of a dancer .He gives off a peaceful demeanor as he smiles at Luhan, a dimple indenting his cheek. But now his smile is turned into a slight frown as he looks around him, his fingers feeling around his bag and patting his pockets as if he is looking for something.

Oh, the ipod touch.

“Uh...”

Both Luhan and Yixing turn to look at him. Luhan looks mildly annoyed at the interruption but he says nothing, while Yixing merely gives him a gentle smile, just enough to show the dimple again and just enough to send butterflies into Kris’ stomach.

“Your ipod”

Kris holds out the shiny music player in his hands and Yixing’s smile widens as he takes the ipod from Kris’ hands, his fingers accidentally brushing against Kris’ hands. The accidental touch sends a jolt though Kris and he withdraws his hands a little too quickly, earning curious looks from both Yixing and Luhan.

“I’m sorry it must have been knocked out of my hands just now, no thanks to him” Yixing playfully jabs Luhan at the side, and then gently pats the older boy’s head as he dodges and gives a whine of protest.

“No it’s okay. I’ll just…. Get ready for class now” Kris mumbles awkwardly as he steps back to his place. What was that. I sounded like an idiot. Kris thinks to himself as he settles himself on the floor again. Too preoccupied with his thoughts, Kris doesn’t hear the gasp from Luhan as Yixing tells him something, and he doesn’t see how Yixing gently pushes Luhan back to Sehun despite his protests. His attention is diverted only when he hears a clap of hands.

Yixing is standing in the middle of the dance studio and everyone in the room is gazing curiously at him.

“Hi everyone, I am Instructor Lay from Aspire School. You can call me Lay or Yixing, and I will be your dance instructor from now on”

There is a pause and then someone starts clapping before everyone joins in. The exact same thought is running through everyone’s minds. “He is our age, if not slightly older or younger than us. How on earth…”

Yixing sees the surprised and awkward looks on the faces and he merely claps his hands again, “Since we will be together for the next 2 months why don’t we sit together and have an introduction circle? I wouldn’t want to keep addressing you guys as simply guys, that would be just weird. And weird is not good.” Laughter breaks out from some of the students and Kris finds himself smiling as well.

“Well, that wasn’t supposed to be funny actually” Yixing says as everyone gathers in a circle. “I don’t get why people always laugh at what I say, even though I mean it seriously-“

“Because you ARE funny” Luhan interrupts him gleefully, earning a small glare from Yixing.

“Respect”

“I’m your hyung”

“I’m your teacher now”

“But-“

“NO buts”

“I hate you” Luhan pretends to sniffle as he buries his face into Sehun’s shoulder, after losing out to Yixing.

“No, you love me” Yixing grins and turns his attention back to the rest of the students.

“Sorry about my childish best friend”

“HEY!!”

“Shush and listen” Yixing says waving an absentminded hand in Luhan’s direction with his attention still on the other ten pairs of eyes. A wave of laughter breaks out as everyone watches the best friends interact.

“As I was saying, let’s get to know each other better. We’ll just start off with our name, age, hobbies and perhaps anything else that you’ll like to add! And… let’s start on my right!” Yixing looks to the boy on his right.

“Hi everyone, I am Kim Jongdae. You can call me Chen. I’m 19 years old this year. I love to sing and dance, even though I may not be very good at dancing.” He laughs shyly as gives a small bow of his head. It’s the smiley-faced boy, Kris notes. Next is the boy with the piercing gaze. He has dark crescents under his eyes and he looks a little nervous. Chen pats him on the knee and he gives a little smile as he begins. “Uhm hi, I am Tao. I am 19 this year as well and I like to do wushu.” Yixing beams at him, “Wow wushu! That’s cool! It’s a form of Chinese martial arts” Yixing explains, seeing looks of incomprehension on some of the faces.  The tanned skin boy introduces himself as, “18 year old dancing machine Kim Jongin.”, while the big eyed boy beside him is “Do Kyungsoo, a 19 year old who loves to sing and dance” Kyungsoo adds a little hesitantly at the end, “Jongin is my boyfriend”. The murmurs of assent and “you guys look cute together” earn blushes from Jongin and a smile of relief from Kyungsoo who initially thought they were going to be judged by everyone.

It’s Kris turn next and he his lips nervously. “Uh hi everyone. My name is Kris Wu. I am 20 years old this year. I like to write songs and rap. Oh and Luhan over there is my roommate” Kris finishes his introduction and sees Yixing giving him an encouraging smile, sending butterflies in his stomach again.  

The round of introductions finally reaches Yixing and everyone turns to look expectantly at Yixing.

“I’m Yixing and I’m 19 this year. I love to dance and I am currently an instructor from Aspire School. I have been teaching dance for one year already and I am actually based in the China but I was relocated to Korea just recently. Oh and I love to play the guitar as well, and this guy here,” he says poking Luhan’s shoulders, “is my childhood best friend back in China-” Luhan smiles widely and interrupts him “And anyone who dares bully Yixing will get a kick in their from me, that will send you all the way to the moon”

“Luhan!” Yixing chides him gently and gives everyone an apologetic smile.

“Ok, we have an hour left. Let’s start with our lesson!” Yixing jumps up and claps his hands enthusiastically, as the others stand up to get ready as well.

Yixing plays the popular Party Rock Anthem and teaches them the techniques of shuffling. It’s surprising how everyone gets the hang of it in one lesson despite the fact that Gangnam Style is way easier to dance to. Maybe it is how Yixing teaches them slowly and patiently, going around to correct their mistakes one by one. By the end of the lesson, Yixing dismisses them looking pleased. He waves them off with a cheery “see you tomorrow!” and Kris thinks that dance isn’t so bad afterall, and maybe it was a good thing he got allocated into dance. Well, maybe. Just maybe.

 

Short short update today. AHHHH im so sorry to keep you guys waiting ;A:;;; i was supposed to post this yesterday but I was really tired. Thank you to all my new subscribers and to those who commented! Forever grateful that there are people who read my fic even though it's rubbish ;~~~; I really love you all. I might post another update later today because I have no school today \o/