10.

Forgetful Minds

 

Kris adjusts his shirt nervously and attempts to smooth this hair as he stands in front of Yixing’s apartment. It’s a Saturday morning and he has no idea what Yixing would think, seeing him again even though it was Luhan who sent him.

He presses the door bell and shifts nervously from one foot to the other as he waits for Yixing to open the door, while trying to appear calm and composed. There is a muffled thud and muttered cursing before the door opens to reveal Yixing who is rubbing his head, a look of annoyance on his face.

“Yifan??” a look of surprise crosses the younger’s face as his mind finally registers the tall blonde standing in front of him.

“I wanted to- I mean Luhan sent me to get a book back from you,” Kris explains hastily, while he tries to ignore the steady thudding of his heart. He scans the brunette up down and is amazed at how the brunette still looks absolutely adorable even with his tousled hair and loose clothes. His eyes linger to where the sleeve of Yixing’s shirt falls to reveal a smooth pale shoulder and it takes him everything to keep his hands tucked firmly in his pockets and not to run them over the smooth milky skin of the other.

As if having followed Kris’ gaze, Yixing reaches up to pull the sleeve of his shirt back up only to have it fall back down again as he turns and beckons Kris into the apartment.

“I’m sorry about the mess here,” Yixing apologizes as he attempts to straighten the cushions on the sofa and tidy his apartment. To be honest, there isn’t really much of a mess as compared to the real mess in Kris’ dormitory. The only mess Kris sees is at the dining table, where there are open books and papers placed haphazardly all over, alongside with a glass of water. Yixing must have been busy he thinks, and for a moment, Kris feels bad for interrupting him.

“Were you doing something? I could leave-” Kris starts to say as Yixing hands him a glass of water.

“It’s okay, I wasn’t really making much progress anyway,” Yixing sighs as he moves to the dining table and slumps onto the chair. 

“I can’t understand all these. I have no idea what possessed me to sign up for the entrance test, all these grammar rules and verbs, I will never remember them all in two weeks,” Yixing groans as he picks up his pencil to continue where he left off.

Kris makes his way over to the brunette and peers over his shoulder to see what the other is agonizing about. To his surprise, it’s English. A small laugh escapes from Kris as he reads the first sentence on the paper.

“I is a lonly person with no friends”

Kris has no idea why he finds it so amusing. Maybe it’s the simple grammatical mistake, or the spelling error or the simplicity of the sentence, or the fact that Yixing wrote it. Or maybe even all four. He remembers being annoyed with Luhan making simple errors like these, but somehow he finds it endearing that Yixing makes such simple mistakes as well.

The said boy is now frowning at Kris, bottom lip sticking out, obviously put off with Kris laughing at him.

“I give up!!” he exclaims, closing the book in front of him.

But Kris reaches out and stops him, pulling the pencil lightly out of his grasp and corrects the mistakes he has made, all the while still chuckling to himself.

Yixing tries to ignore the catch in his throat when he is suddenly all too aware of the close proximity between him and Kris. The other is so close to him that he can count the few strands of dark hair, hidden amongst the blonde ones, and if Yixing turns, it would be just enough to brush his lips against the other’s cheek.

“There, all done” Kris suddenly straightens, putting the pencil down.

Yixing turns and stares blankly at the corrections Kris has made to his sentence, mind not registering anything, thoughts still lingering from a few moments ago.

Seeing the blank look on Yixing’s face, Kris laughs quietly to himself and pulls up a chair beside the younger and picks the pencil up again, patiently explains the grammar rules to him.

By then, Yixing has managed to shake himself out of his blank stupor and he listens intently to Kris.

It’s about lunchtime when Yixing finally finishes the English exercise that he had started, with the help of Kris. Rubbing his tired eyes, Yixing sees the time on the clock and is surprised at how much time has passed by. He suddenly remembers Kris’ reason for coming here in the first place.

“I’m so sorry for taking so much of your time, here’s Luhan’s book,” he says as he pulls out a thick book from underneath his arm and hands it over to Kris.

Kris raises an eyebrow as he sees the familiar book in front of him. English Tenses and Vocabulary 101. It’s the book Kris had given to Luhan a few months back, in an attempt to improve the older’s horrible English. But of course, Luhan had chucked the book aside, saying that he would read it later. But the later never came of course. It’s funny though, how this book came to good use, but for a different person instead.

“Take it back, I’m sure you need it more than that brat does,” he says, pushing the book back to Yixing’s hands.

“But-”

“Trust me”

And Yixing shuts his mouth and nods awkwardly, before putting the book back onto the table.

“I- thank you for helping me. I didn’t mean to take up so much of your time, I’m really sorry” Yixing says apologetically as he runs a hand through his brown hair.

“If you are really sorry, perhaps you could treat me to lunch?” Kris suggests jokingly but is surprised when the younger agrees with a cheerful smile before pulling him out of the apartment onto the cold streets of Seoul.

But somehow, there is a warm bubbly feeling in him as he lets himself get dragged around by a dimpled dancer. 

 

Short short update today. It's chinese new year holiday now but im sick ugh so forgive me if my updates are especially horrible. Decided to post this update first, i have another update coming along tmr! ^^ I'll reply all comments tmr cuz im too tired to continue and my headache is killing me :c tyvm to all readers, comment-ers, and new subscribers (hello!) love you all! <333