14.

Forgetful Minds

Sometimes Kris wishes that Yixing would be less nice to the people around him. The younger boy always has a ready smile to offer to everyone despite of his mood and he always never expects anything from others but only the best from himself. His warm brown eyes filled with charm, the adorable dimples claiming a spot on his cheeks and his easy-going personality are one of the many reasons why Yixing is so well- liked. And so Kris isn’t all too surprised when a few guys from their dance class shower Yixing with chocolates and letters, the moment the dancer steps into the dance studio. He watches as Yixing laughs at the amount of gifts in his arms and politely bows at the boys, thanking them for their thoughtfulness.

“Will you be my Valentine?”

Kris’ head whips towards the direction of the voice and watches as Jongin hands Yixing a box of chocolates, his head cocked towards the dancer with a cheeky grin and an arm wrapped around Kyungsoo’s waist.

For a moment Kris is confused and Yixing is embarrassed as his eyes dart from Jongin to Kyungsoo.

“Jongin-ah-”

“Please don’t mind him,” Kyungsoo interrupts hastily, jabbing Jongin in the ribs as he gives a mock glare towards his boyfriend. “I made them yesterday and these are for you. Thank you for being such a good teacher,” Kyungsoo bows politely and just like that the atmosphere becomes relaxed again.

“You better watch out Jongin,” Yixing warns playfully, a mischievous glint in his eye. Jongin only gives a short bark of laughter, his arm tight around Kyungsoo’s waist as they head back to their places.

Kris is almost jealous of Jongin and Kyungsoo’s relationship. The memory of the unanswered confession is still fresh in his mind and his heart clenches at the very thought of it. He badly wants to hear what Yixing has to say, but at the same time he doesn’t.  He is afraid that Yixing’s answer might not be the one he is hoping to hear.

“Yixing hyung?”

Kris looks up and he scowls at the sight before him.

ing Kim Jongdae. He can already feel a prickle of irritation under his skin just at the sight of Jongdae within arm’s reach of Yixing. Get the hell away from Yixing!!!! Kris badly wants to scream. But he can only hold his irritation in as he watches the two from afar.

Jongdae hands Yixing a box of chocolates and blushes as Yixing says something to him, his dimple dancing on his cheek. For a moment, Jongdae seems to comtemplate telling Yixing something and Yixing looks questioningly at him. Kris watches as Jongdae pulls Yixing down to his height and whisper something into his ear, his lips barely grazing Yixing’s cheeks due to their close proximity. His breath catches and he wills himself not to go over and yank the two of them apart.

Kris thinks that he it is his imagination when Yixing’s eyes flicker over to him for the briefest of moments, his lips quirking up into a small smile as Jongdae whispers into his ear. When Kris blinks, Yixing’s eyes are not on him anymore, but the smile is still there, and the erratic beating of his heart tells Kris that he has fallen hard for Yixing. Real hard.

----

The tense atmosphere in the dormitory is suffocating and Kris fidgets in his seat for the nth time as he attempts to watch Yixing scribble on his English book. The stack of gifts on the table which are   (from Yixing’s many admirers) is a niggling reminder of yesterday’s confession and the anxiety of it all is on the verge of sending Kris over the edge. None of them had mentioned anything about yesterday’s incident but Yixing knows that Kris is waiting for his answer.

His fingers slowly crumple the yellow post-it note in his palm as he puts it aside and reaches for another.  To be honest, Yixing hasn’t been working on any of the problems in his book at all. He has been trying to formulate an answer for Kris instead but the words seem to come out wrong. He gives a soft sigh as he scribbles “I think you are really nice-” stopping as he is unable to continue any further.

Aish Zhang Yixing, do you think this will work? He chides himself, inwardly crying out in frustration at his inability to formulate a reply without sounding stupid.

“I’ll be in the kitchen, call me when you are done,” Kris stands up suddenly, and Yixing hurriedly shoves the piece of paper under his arm, his heart thumping loudly. Fortunately, Kris is too agitated and distracted, as he disappears into the kitchen and Yixing gives a sigh of relief as he shifts his arm away. With a last glance at the kitchen, Yixing tears off another piece of post-it and picks up his pen again. So here goes nothing.

 

“I’m going to go crazy I swear,” Kris mutters to himself as he buries his face into his arms while leaning against the kitchen counter. He has never felt so anxious in his whole life before, never. His flustered mind and pounding heart is a sure sign to that.

Kris turns around and pulls open a kitchen drawer to reveal the box of chocolates meant for Yixing. He stares at the heart-shaped box and all of a sudden, he feels that the box is too small and too pink. Perhaps Yixing wouldn’t even take a second look at it. His gift will surely go unnoticed amongst the others that Yixing has received.  His fingers tighten around the handle of the drawer at the thought, his heart clenching painfully.

“Uhm, Kris?”

The familiar soothing voice startles Kris and he hurriedly slams the drawer shut and spins around to face Yixing, his heart pounding rapidly and his mind fervently hoping that Yixing has not seen the contents of the drawer.

“Yes?”

“I- I answered the questions in the book,” Yixing mumbles, his eyes not meeting Kris as he slowly holds out the open book, his hands trembling slightly.

Disappointment fills Kris and sinks heavy to the bottom of his stomach as his fingers close around the book. He had hoped that Yixing would at least give him an answer, albeit a rejection or not.

“O-okay”, disappointment is evident in his voice despite his attempts to mask it with a forced smile. He almost misses the quiet “I’ll be in the living room if you need me” when his eyes drops onto the book and he gives a surprised gasp.

The lines are blank, the questions completely unanswered. There is nothing written on the book at all, save for a yellow post-it note stuck in the middle of the page.

Will you be my Valentine? -Yixing

His heart stops and his breath catches at the neat handwriting in black. Kris blinks once, twice. It is still there.

He finally looks up to see Yixing slowly disappearing out of the kitchen doorway.

“Yixing, wait!”

Long, thin fingers wrap around the pale wrist and tug him back. Before Yixing can react, he feels warm lips pressed against his. Yixing’s heart skips a beat and he finds himself leaning into the kiss, yearning for more.

Their first kiss is sweet and innocent. And when they finally pull apart, Kris’ eyes are shining and Yixing is blushing, his cheeks stained a deep red. Their foreheads are pressed against each other and they are wordless as they let the moment sink in.

“So… does that mean yes?” Yixing asks hesitantly, his fingers quietly intertwining with Kris’ as if seeking assurance and affirmation.

“Yes, you dumb,” Kris chuckles, pressing a kiss into Yixing’s hair before pulling the smaller boy into a hug. Yixing smiles as he leans into Kris, closing his eyes and breathing in the taller's comforting scent.

“Hold on,” Kris suddenly says, causing Yixing to look up in surprise, his head cocked to the side in question.

“Happy Valentine’s Day,” he holds out the box of chocolates with his hand, while leaving an arm wrapped around the younger’s waist. “I know it’s nothing as compared to what you’ve got out there but-”

Kris’ words are lost when Yixing reaches up to press a kiss against his lips, a smile on his face.

“Thank you,” he says simply, a smile etched on his face, revealing his dimples. And for the millionth time since he first met Yixing, Kris feels the familiar sensation of butterflies in his stomach.

But this time not because he is nervous, or embarrassed. But because, Yixing is finally his.

 

/drowns in pool of fluff and cheesiness and kray. omg i finally got this up. i rewrote this about five times because my ideas were coming out wrong and weird aslkfa;h (prob due to the aftereffects of school) idk if this is ok ornot, so do tell me ok ;~; my first time writing this sort of scene eep ok rolling to bed now ;;; (i'll reply comments prob next week or smthg) love you all~ <3