16.

Forgetful Minds

 

Luhan sighs as they peer through the half-opened door of the dance studio. Music is streaming out of the studio, soft and soothing, unlike the upbeat electronic songs that Kris is used to in dance classes.

He looks over his roommate’s shoulder and sees Yixing gliding on the floor, arms twisting and turning smoothly, one movement blending into the next. Yixing’s face is furrowed in utmost concentration, as he monitors his own movements through the reflection on the mirrors. The music stops, but Yixing doesn’t. His feet continue gliding, drawing circles on the floor. When the music starts again, he automatically shifts back into the starting pose. This goes on and everytime the music stops, Yixing continues. The only difference is that his movements are different.  

“He told you about his family didn’t he”

It’s not a question, it’s more of a statement really. And Luhan already knows the answer before Kris even responds.

“He’s always like that after he talks about his family,” Luhan exhales heavily, turning away from the door to lean against the wall. “He would lock himself up in the studio and dance, only stopping when I drag him out of the studio” Luhan rests his head against the wall, looking up at the ceiling, recalling all the times where he had to force his stubborn best friend to vacate the studio and give himself a break.

“But this dance…” Kris trails off. He has never seen Yixing dance this particular dance before and the song is unfamiliar as well. He watches as Yixing goes through the movements again and again

“It’s his father’s dance to his mother”

Realisation dawns on Kris as he remembers what Yixing told him before. “He was even in the process of creating a dance for my mother. But he never finished it.”

“It’s something really important to Yixing, and he has made it his goal to finish the choreography of this dance. He has been trying for the past few years but he hasn’t been able to do so,” Luhan sighs. “He doesn’t know why and it frustrates him. It makes me upset seeing him like this. He is obviously not going to get anywhere if he tries to choreograph the dance when he is in this mood.”

Luhan is right of course. Kris watches as Yixing lets out an irritated sigh as he misses a step and stops before continuing again. His movements at the end differ every single time and Kris can see the younger grow increasingly frustrated with himself.

This isn’t going to work.

With a determined look on his face, Kris pushes open the door of the studio, not missing the “good luck” Luhan whispers to him.  

Yixing doesn’t acknowledge Kris’ presence in the room. His gaze remains firmly fixed on the mirror, his movements uninterrupted. When Kris calls him, he simply ignores.

1, 2, 3

He pulls Yixing into a hug, trapping him in his arms. Surprisingly Yixing doesn’t struggle, but his arms fall limply to his sides, not reciprocating the hug. His body is stiff and tense, his chest rapidly rising and falling.

“Yifan, let me go,” he says quietly in between heavy breaths. His shirt is soaked with his perspiration and the sweat on his skin glistens in the bright studio lights.

“No, not until you agree to take a break,” Kris replies firmly.

“Look here Yifan-”

“No, you look here,” Kris interrupts, drawing back to look at Yixing, his hands still firmly looped around his boyfriend’s waist. When the younger stubbornly keeps his eyes averted, choosing to focus on the distance instead, he tips two fingers under his chin and tilts his head towards him. He is met by a pair of dark furious eyes, eyes that have lost their shine and are instead replaced by frustration and pain.

He feels his heart clench at the sight before him. He knows Yixing is angry with himself not being able to complete the dance, for not being to fulfill his father’s wish. Sighing, his palms reach to curve around Yixing’s face, thumb gently caressing his cheek.

“Yixing, get some rest, you will never be able to get anything done if you keep forcing yourself like that. I’m not stopping you from doing whatever you want to do, but just… get some rest okay? You have been at it non-stop and I am really scared that you’ll collapse from exhaustion. Luhan has been really worried about you the whole day…” Yixing’s eyes flicker towards the door, guilt flashing in those brown orbs.

“I’m sorry,” he finally mumbles, leaning into Kris’ embrace, his arms curling around the blonde’s waist.

From the doorway, Luhan lets out a sigh of relief as he observes the exchange that takes place. Thank you Kris, thank you for taking care of Yixing, he whispers softly to himself.

---

It’s been days since the incident at the dance studio and thankfully, Yixing seems better. The shine in his eyes has returned and the playful laughter and mischievous grins have returned as well. He is back to teasing Kris about his horrible dancing and asking Jongdae to pair up with him during dance lessons much to the older’s chagrin.

It’s a Saturday morning and Yixing is over at his place again, supposedly studying for his upcoming English exam. But the said boy has abandoned his work and is instead sitting cross legged on the floor, strumming his guitar and humming to himself. Kris chuckles to himself as he watches his boyfriend cringe at a wrong note, his face screwing up into a cute frown.

“Yifan!”  Yixing looks up, his fringe flopping into his eyes, as he pats the floor beside him beckoning his boyfriend over with a smile. Kris knows that Yixing should be studying instead of playing with his guitar, but really, he has no heart to chide his boyfriend. If anything, he is glad that Yixing has no classes to teach today. The younger boy is perpetually packed with classes to teach and it is rare that he can have a full day to himself. Sighing contentedly, Kris settles beside Yixing who shifts so that he is leaning against the taller. There is a wave of comfortable silence with the exception of the quiet strains of the guitar. Kris closes his eyes, enjoying the way Yixing’s back fits right into his, almost like two pieces of a puzzle. It’s been a long time since they spent time with each other like that, being able to sit and enjoy each other’s company without having to rush off to anywhere.  He misses spending time with Yixing like that, just the two of them alone. 

“Let’s go on a date tomorrow,” Kris says abruptly. And Yixing turns to him surprised, his fingers stilling on the guitar. There’s a questioning look in those large brown orbs of his, but then he beams, “Okay!” before shuffling closer to Kris, leaning his head against his shoulder, his fingers plucking gently on the guitar strings again.

 

ahhh hello hello im baaack! ugh yeah exams were horrible, but at least they are over! \o/ sorry this update came late! i was actually working on it two days ago, but i had a writer's block (i blame it on the aftereffects of exams) yup this is somewhat of a filler chapter in case you guys i wondering! i just realised that my story is really draggy, i'll try to speed things up a little (if you want)! ^^ andand also, just asking, do you guys want me to work on till death (do us apart) alongside with this fic? i dont mind working on two stories at once! tell me what you think! thank you for commenting and subscribing, as always~ ^^ <333