5.

Forgetful Minds

 

The smell of cooking and sound of Luhan’s excited shouting arouses Kris from his slumber. Kris shifts his head and peeks at the alarm clock on the nightstand through bleary eyes.

8:30pm

I need more sleep Kris decides as he pulls his pillow over his head in an attempt to block out all the noise his roommate is making in the living room. But his stomach has other ideas as it growls hungrily, the delicious smell wafting from the kitchen making him hungrier than before.

Dammit. Kris heaves himself off the bed and ventures out of his room in search of food.

“GOAL GOAL GOAAAAAAL OH YESSSSS!!!!!” Luhan screams excitedly, bouncing up and down on the couch as he scores a goal on the FIFA 2012 game he is playing.

“Han, I think you should keep your volume down. Your roommate is sleeping” Yixing pokes his head out of the kitchen as he chides the older one gently before going back into the kitchen.

Luhan ignores him, but Kris notices how he quietens down significantly. It is amazing how Yixing can control Luhan just like that. He would give anything to have the same amount of control Yixing has over Luhan. Maybe then he would not be a starved of his sleep on a daily basis.

Plopping himself on the couch next to Luhan, he watches the screen as the older one attempts to maneuver the soccer ball past his opponents and into the goal post.

“You are going to lose you know” Kris mutters.

“Shut up” Luhan scowls, his eyes not leaving the television screen, his face furrowed in deep concentration.

“I’ve never seen anyone play soccer with their fingers. You must be the laziest person alive Luhan. You should play real soccer with real people instead, and lose some of those fats you gain from all those cups of bubble teas and chocolate cakes. Also-”

“OHMYGOD NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO” Luhan shrieks as the opponent slides the ball past his team’s goalkeeper, sealing a win over his team. He jabs uselessly at the remote control but the screen flashes a “You lose! Game over”, earning even more shrieks from the gamer boy.

 “AISHHHH I WAS SO CLOSE TO WINNING. SO CLOSE. ” Luhan wails as he flings the game control to the other end of the couch, and buries his head into the cushions stacked on the couch, and kicking his legs in denial.

Kris rolls his eyes and gets up from the couch muttering “Geez, you’re noisier than ” to which Luhan flings a cushion at Kris, who dodges, and misses Yixing by an inch.

“Han! Stop whining, dinner is ready!” Yixing calls as he sets the plates of food onto the table.

“Oh and hi....” there is a pause as Yixing racks his brain, trying to recall Kris’ name. He eventually settles for “Luhan’s roommate” and he gives a sheepish smile as he apologizes for being bad at names.

"Just call me-"

"Yifan!!" Luhan interrupts Kris from behind.

"Could you not-"

"Interrupt me." Luhan cuts across Kris' words again earning a glare from the tall blonde.

"You have a Chinese name?" Yixing's eyes grow wide with surprise. "Dude, he is Chinese, why wouldn't he have a Chinese name. He only has an English name only because he thinks it's cool. Kreeeeeeeease." Luhan replies, dragging Kris' name on purpose, as the latter scoffs at the older's childishness and simply stalks past him. 

The three of them finally settle at the dining table and Kris pokes suspiciously at the food before him, marveling at the foreignness of the food. “Is this Chinese food?” he finally asks, looking up at Yixing who is clearly surprised at the question.

“Yes…. I mean this is Luhan’s favourite. It’s fried rice… I don’t know if you eat Chinese food but…” Yixing starts to explain.

“Why wouldn’t Yifan eat Chinese food? He is Chinese, for god's sake. Ignore him Xing, he is probably just being over analytical about food among the other one thousand and one things he is over analytical about. That guy  thinks too much for a person with a small brain,” Luhan interjects as he starts scooping rice into his mouth.

“I just haven’t eaten Chinese food in a long while, and this is really good” Kris remarks, ignoring his roommate’s snarky comments as the first taste of rice enters his mouth. For a moment Kris feels as if he is back home in China, back in his mum’s kitchen, eating the food that brings back so much memories.

Yixing smiles pleased.

 

“Sho Shing, you schill habent thold me why you arhg ineb korea” Luhan says with a mouth full of rice.

“Gross, close your mouth you disgusting idiot” Kris gives a fake shudder and curses as Luhan kicks him from under the table.

“Jesus, would you stop doing that. I would have a thousand bruises by the end of the day” he winces, feeling the bruise that is about to form.

Luhan only sticks a tongue out and turns back to Yixing who gives a dimpled smile, sending more butterflies into Kris’ stomach again. He gulps and hastily shoves more rice into his mouth, trying to ignore the fluttering feeling in his stomach.

“Well, remember the dance competition that I was telling you about?” Yixing says, “Oh yeah and then you disappeared for a month” Luhan adds in. “I said I am sorry” Yixing sighs in disbelief at the pettiness of his best friend. “Anyways, this competition was organized by S.M Entertainment so the finals were held in Korea. And I was busy preparing for the finals, my own lessons and for the trip here. I didn’t really have time to do anything else. I really wanted to call you but I didn’t have the time and my boss was giving me a lot of pressure, so ” Yixing continues, somewhat apologetically to Luhan.

“You know I was joking right?” Luhan pats Yixing comfortingly, sensing the guilt in Yixing’s words.

“So how were the finals?”

“It went well,” Yixing hums taking a sip of water. “Well as in, I tried my best but I only got second, or well as in I tried my best but I only got first” Luhan adds, narrowing his eyes at Yixing. He knows his best friend too well. Yixing ever only expects the best and from himself and nothing more. Saying that his competition “went well” could only mean that he didn’t win the first place but he was still a runner-up OR he won, but he thought that he probably could have done better, even though he won. Luhan knows how hard Yixing is on himself, and the really high expectations he sets on himself for every single thing he does. Especially when it comes to dance.

“So?” Luhan probes again and Kris listens intently, curious to hear Yixing’s answer.

“Ok fine I won, so what, I mean I could have done way better and there were people better than me and-” Yixing finally answers.

“There you go again. Oh please. That was a competition organized by S.M Entertainment remember? Hello?? Company of Super Junior??? Hello? Company of SNSD?? They are like the gods and goddesses of the entertainment scene here. S.M also only expects the best so stop complaining you idiot” Luhan pokes Yixing’s arm in an effort to stop Yixing from putting too much pressure on himself again.

A thought suddenly crosses Kris' mind. “So, did they offer you a contract or anything?” he suddenly asks, speaking his mind and both best friends look up, surprised at his question, as if they have forgotten about Kris’ presence in the first place.

“Well yeah… butiturnedthemdown” Yixing adds quickly after a pause.

“You WHAT??????!!!!!!!” Luhan shrieks, his voice going up an octave higher. And Kris shrinks away from the shrieking boy.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS. THAT WAS S ING M ENTERTAINMENT YOU KNOW. CREATOR OF BIG STARS, LEADING ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY….” Luhan throws up his hands incredulously.

“Ugh I knowwwwwwww” Yixing moans in his hands. “But I don’t like the spotlight. All the attention…. I don’t want to be a star. I just want to be me. And besides I’m perfectly happy teaching at Aspire” Yixing explains, finally looking up.

“Xingggggg why are you so modest. You make me look like a ing devil beside you.” Luhan hugs his best friend, burrowing his head in Yixing’s shirt. Luhan understands of course. He would have known Yixing’s answer even before Yixing had said it out loud. Yixing had never liked the spotlight, always choosing to remain in the background, letting others take the limelight instead. Even though he was clearly better than many other people, Yixing always shunned the attention and brushed off all the compliments that came to him. He didn’t want to be big headed; he didn’t want all the praise to get to him. He always thought that he could be better, thus always pushing himself and sometimes stretching his own limits.

“Are you going back to China anytime soon?” Luhan asks hesitantly when he finally releases Yixing from the hug. “Well… seeing as to how I have classes with you guys and other Aspire classes to conduct in Korea as well, I don’t think I will be going back soon. Besides my best friend is here, and he is always saying that all the cute guys are here in Korea. So I guess I will be here to stay..” Yixing answers, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

Kris can’t help but smile as Luhan cheers and engulfs Yixing into another hug.

So does this mean that Yixing is not seeing anyone?? This question keeps popping up in Kris’ mind, and somehow he remains hopeful, even though he is not really sure why. 

Ughhh is the story getting too draggy ;A;;; comment and tell me ok. I actually have a whole bunch of ideas in my head but the details are like not there, so I cant write anything good im sorry ;;;; It's nearing 3am in the morning and i have to wake up for school in 3 hours. But here's an update for you guys cause you all are the best ^^  i'll try to speed up the plot abit, lessen my word vomit and stuff. I'll hopefully be able to post another update in the next couple of days, if not the weekend. Thank you for reading and commenting! I love you guys <333