What is Love?

I'm Cool

 

Chapter 8

 

What is Love?

“Hey there stranger,” Jaejoong called out to Yunho who was sitting on a 4 seater table beside his girlfriend. Of course everyone knew the Queen of the school and the hottie, Yunho were going out. Yunho was always the talk of the class. With his good looks, toned body, and the brains, he was perfect.

Staying at the Jung’s place last night, he found out that Jung Yunho was actually rich too. And so he did a little bit researching and found out that his family owned the Jung Enterprises. There was no doubt about it. He wowed at the thought but wasn’t too shocked. Jung Enterprises was one of the companies that stood at the top of the chain as well.

“Lay off transfer student,” Seulgi told him. “I have no interest in you.” She thought that Jaejoong had a secret crush on her. “If you hang out with that geek Xiah Junsu, you can’t talk to us rich kids. You’re not loaded and cool like us anyways.”

Jaejoong just smirked and laughed at what she told him. She was totally making fun of the guy who has access to the bank account of the richest guy in Asia.

“You judge people too easily,” Jaejoong simply said. He looked at Yunho who just looked down at his food. He was probably going crazy in his mind right now. Jaejoong laughed at the thought but he wanted to torture Yunho’s head more. He took a seat right across Seulgi.

“So you’re saying, you’re not a . You’re rich and you don’t consider yourself as one of those people who would hang out with us just for our money huh?” Seulgi told him.

“Not at all,” Jaejoong replied with ease.

“Lies. You want money. You want fame. You want to be like me don’t you? You like me huh?” Seulgi thought that she had the situation controlled by the tips of her fingers.

Yunho’s eyes widened. “Let’s just stop for today okay Seulgi?” He was scared that Kim Jaejoong would be pissed at him and also her. That would be the last thing he’d want to do. “Be nice.”

Seulgi pouted. “Fine oppa,” she obeyed him.

But Jaejoong didn’t want the conversation to end already. He wanted to have some fun.

He continued to talk.

“No I don’t want your money. No I don’t want to have your measly fame. No, I don’t want to be a like you. And I’d hate to be in your boyfriend’s shoes because..." he paused, "you’re a ,” Jaejoong smiled at her like he did nothing wrong. He wasn’t pissed but it was fun messing around with people. He had nothing to lose anyways.

Seulgi stood up from her seat and walked beside Jaejoong. She was fumed. “Did you just call me a ?!” She used her screechy voice which echoed in the cafeteria. Everybody looked at their table.

“I don’t know,” Jaejoong shrugged challengingly, “As in, I don't know if I should even answer that question.”

“Yeah, you simply told me off! You said, you didn’t want to be a like me,” she talked loud enough for the whole cafeteria to hear.

“Alright, well let's say that I did,” Jaejoong looked at her.

She screamed in frustration. “It seems that you need to be taught a lesson.” She slammed her left hand on the table. Everyone should fear her wrath. And with her right hand, she raised it with the purpose to slap Jaejoong on the face. “You’re just a scrawny brat. So shut up.”

Unfortunately, her hands were stopped by Jaejoong’s left hand. Guys would always be stronger than girls. “Who’s scrawny?” he asked her as he stood up. His presence overruled the girl’s. He towered over her with his hand still holding her wrists. She didn’t speak. “That’s what I thought. And you know, it’s not nice to hit people,” Jaejoong said as he quickly gave her two gentle pats on her left cheek. It rendered her speechless. Every guy around them snickered except for the girls—they were on Seulgi’s side.

Jaejoong finally let go of her hands and walked towards Jung Yunho. Every eye was on his figure but Jaejoong just stared at the man who just ogled down at his food the whole entire time. When he was close enough, Jaejoong leaned towards the ear of the sitting man.

“You didn’t call me,” Jaejoong whispered. “I wanted to get your number too.”

Yunho was just shocked to hear those words. Was he supposed to call him? He turned to face the man but it shocked him that their faces were once again too close for comfort. Every girl was shocked but mostly angered. They wanted to rip Jaejoong away from Yunho.

Yunho’s heart began to jump out of his chest. What was wrong with him? His eyes were caught by Jaejoong’s own. Why does he act like a around Jaejoong? But suddenly, everything was cut off by the sound of Jaejoong’s phone vibrating.

********************

Junsu watched as the two guys stood in front of the washroom. They were chatting away. Thank God the door was located near a corner. Junsu could easily hear what they were saying. He took a peek at the scene.

“Wow, those two were supposed to keep guard?” Junsu told himself. “What idiots. They’re not even watching at all.” Junsu just shook his head displeased with the stupidity. The two men were too busy keeping track of what’s going on inside the washroom than what’s going on on the outside. He quickly grabbed his phone and texted Jaejoong. A call would just cause more attraction.

He texted, “Jaejoong, time yourself. It’s an emergency. Be precise. In exactly forty seconds, no earlier, no later. Come to the first floor, boy’s washroom.” He sent it. He gave Jaejoong ten seconds to receive the text, read it and set up.

“…Seven, eight, nine and ten,” Junsu counted. After counting to ten, Junsu took a quick peek just to check if he could still ambush them. He sighed in relief. The two guys were still looking in the washroom. It made his job easier now. With air like steps, he sneaked up on the two. He didn’t waste any time at all. He sliced the thin air with his hands, hitting the back of one guy’s head and then the other. Both men out almost at the same time, falling together. It was a great plan. Xiah Junsu wouldn’t be able to get recognized as the guy who could knock out two men in swift moves.

He took both the students and sat them up beside the lockers. They looked like they were just taking a nap. With that, Junsu sneaked inside the washroom again.

Twenty seconds have now passed, and in another twenty seconds, Jaejoong would come. He needed to hurry. Junsu peeked inside the washroom. Choi Siwon had Yoochun blindfolded and all tied up against the wall. His attention was too focused on Yoochun.

“You thought you could get away just like that huh?” Junsu heard Siwon say as he slowly crept towards him. “If it feels a bit lonely now Yoochun, it’s okay. More guys are coming. But I told them to wait till everyone got settled in class. What we’re going to do to you would be too noisy.”

“Haven’t you done enough?” Yoochun spoke now.

“I’ll be satisfied when I find you half dying in here,” Siwon replied with a cocky tone. “You’re so full of yourself aren’t you? Just because you have all those girls and even guys swooning at you doesn’t mean I can’t hurt you. Money shows how much power you have. I am the richest guy here and you’re just a scrawny guy who lives off of a whole day’s work hours. Don’t worry. I know.”

“ off.”

Siwon became more irritated. “You need a lesson don’t you?” He lifted his fists in the air preparing to punch Yoochun to show him who the boss was around here. But before any contact was made, Junsu who stood behind him swiftly hooked his right hand with Siwon’s elbow preventing his fist to make contact with Yoochun’s face. Then taking his free hand, he hit the back of Siwon’s head. He should get knocked out like those guys.

Siwon was shocked—full of anger. With his woozy vision, he turned around just to see the face of the one who hit him—the one who caught him off guard.

Junsu stepped back, his eyes widening. There was no time to move. Why wasn’t Siwon blacking out like those guys over there? He didn’t black out as fast and that was not part of the plan. All Junsu knew was that Xiah Junsu was going to get beat up pretty soon and he won’t be able to do anything about it.

Another figure appeared right behind Junsu in a flash and came up in front of him, covering his own frame completely. It was Jaejoong. He came right in the nick of time. Because of this, Siwon caught a glimpse of Jaejoong’s face instead of Junsu’s.

Before he out, he groaned, “Jaejoong, you’re going to die.”

“Go take a hike,” Jaejoong told him as he punched the guy’s face and another one at his abdomen causing the other one to spit out fluids from his mouth. Siwon fell to the ground. “Another knocked down today. God I’m good.” Jaejoong praised himself. He looked back at Junsu. “By the way, that was thirty nine seconds. But I panicked so I came earlier than expected.”

“Jaejoong?” Yoochun asked recognizing his voice. “Thirty nine seconds?”

Jaejoong began to untie him. He didn’t take off his blindfold yet. “Xiah Junsu texted me. Apparently he heard some of Siwon’s men talking about you getting beaten up. But you don’t look so beat up. I just came because Junsu wouldn’t be able to help you. He has uhh… asthma.” He took off Yoochun’s blindfold now.

“Why did you guys help me? We’re not even friends,” Yoochun asked. He saw Junsu behind the stalls watching on the sidelines.

“You helped the two of us too,” Jaejoong explained. “We were strangers as well.”

“But you already helped me,” Yoochun replied, “Yunho explained everything.”

“Well, you helped two people. The first time, that was me. And this time it’s Junsu okay? I guess we’re even now,” Jaejoong patted Yoochun’s shoulder. “You should fight back too!”

“Couldn’t,” Yoochun replied. “Was thinking about some stuff…and then there were those drugs…”

“It’s better to forget about the past,” Jaejoong told him. When Jaejoong said past, he meant just what happened yesterday. But to Yoochun, the word past was a one heavy word.

“Past huh?” Yoochun smiled. “Easier said than done.”

The bell rang.

“Jaejoong,” Junsu called out from behind the stall, “should we get going now?” He knew more of Siwon’s men would be coming any time soon. He didn’t want to be stuck in that whole gigantic mess.

Yoochun walked past Jaejoong going towards Junsu. “Thanks a lot as well.” He bowed.

Junsu reached out his hand to Yoochun. “Friends?” He offered. He was still scared because he didn’t think that Yoochun would befriend a geek like him. But to his surprise, his hands were shook by Yoochun’s gentle and warm hands. His heart skipped a beat from the skin ship. Now he didn’t care however he shook Yoochun’s hand. It wasn’t the business world. “Jaejoong and I will get going then,” Junsu said. “We have fitness class next. Be careful though,” Junsu warned with a squeaky voice.

They got out of the washroom and went their separate ways.

Yoochun didn’t have any classes at that time and so, like usual, he went up to the empty art classroom overlooking the soccer field. It was always calming just watching people do their own thing—having fun, being normal, without any worries. It was these gifts that he’d like to have.

He never had the normal life. His life was sleep, school, work, and then more work. He needed the money to support himself and so he just drowned and drowned deeper into the darkness. Nobody knew he suffered except for the man he loved. And things weren’t going so well with him either. For the past few months, he had only seen him twice. And it was for only a couple of minutes.

Those days that he came over, the man he loved would always secretly place money underneath his pillows. He knew he needed an extra hand and Yoochun would always smile at the discreetly done deed. He was the first stranger to ever care for someone as useless as him. Care by this man touched his heart deeply and because of this, Yoochun figured out what real love felt like. It was like the love he felt from his mother. By being with him, Yoochun felt like he was embraced by pure love.

Yoochun sighed as he placed his arm on the window sill. If only he could be like those normal guys. If only he didn’t have a father like that man. He wouldn’t have to pay off his debts. If only his mom was still alive…he’d be happy.

After the accident, his grandparents wouldn’t even take him in. To them he was the son of the man who killed his mother. He was the person who his mother gave his eyes to. He was the source of everyone’s hatred.

“Hey!” Yunho snapped him out of his thoughts. “I thought you’d be here. What’s up?” He stood on the door way.

“Just thinking,” Yoochun replied. He continued to stare out the window.

Yunho took a seat and placed it in front of the window as well so that he could sit beside Yoochun. “How is it with Kim Junsu?” Yunho asked him as he sat down.

“I hate him,” Yoochun replied without hesitation. “Listen Yunho.” Yoochun told him everything that happened in the washroom.

“Jaejoong did what?!” Yunho was surprised. "I wanted a piece of him!"

“He beat up Choi Siwon,” Yoochun answered. “I was going to ask you to take care of him like last time. He’s going to be in danger."

It was dead quiet for a while. Yunho didn’t know what to say for the very first time. Yoochun thinking about all these things...he must be really worried. Yoochun’s cell phone rang again for the second time in the day breaking the silence between them. The caller ID said, My Love.

“It’s him again isn’t it?” Yunho asked.

Yoochun just picked up the phone. First ring, as always. “Hello…? Hello?”

No one answered from the other line.

Yunho started to speak. “I think he’s cheating on you.”

“No. How can you say that?” Yoochun said with doubting eyes.

“I do that too,” Yunho replied. “Every time I cheat.”

“You know—” Yoochun was frustrated. He was always sensitive about issues that involved his boyfriend. He wanted to talk some more but a loud yell from the outside ringed in their ears. Their attention was caught.

Both men looked outside just in time to see Junsu about to get demolished by a soccer ball.

*****

Jaejoong nudged Junsu’s side and winked at him.

“What the hell Jaejoong,” Junsu pouted as they left the change room to go to the soccer field. “That face is so ugly.”

“Shut up,” Jaejoong told him. “Somebody just went from a stranger to a friend to Park Yoochun~”

Junsu couldn’t help but blush. It made him think about how if he wasn’t Kim Junsu he’d be normal. If only his money and the business didn’t get in the way, he’d make real friends. There should be more to life than just work right? Being a normal kid—that is what he wished for.

“Hey watch out!” a student yelled from across the field. It was a warning to Junsu. A soccer ball was coming his way.

Junsu suddenly snaps out of his daze. He too sees the soccer ball moving right at him. In a blink of an eye, he was already one hundred percent focused. He dodged to his left with sharp concentrated eyes and then spun around to jolt the ball with a round-house kick. He smirked. The ball zoomed at the net. It was so fast the goalie didn’t even have enough time react.

A score.

“Hey Jaejoong! Did you see—” He stopped as he saw Jaejoong’s ‘Oh My God You Just Busted Yourself’ look. He was a bit confused. He looked at everyone’s faces. Then Jaejoong’s. Then everyone’s again. Why were people so surprised?

Finally, Jaejoong’s thought bubble clicked in on him.

… Right. How could a geek kick a ball so professionally skilled like that? Wow. He was stupid. Junsu looked at Jaejoong who just face palmed on the inside. All of the people practically had their jaw dropping to the ground. They were probably saying ‘what the hell just happened?’

Junsu didn’t know what to do. How was he supposed to explain this? Everything started to spin. People’s shocked faces circled around him. Maybe he should just…

Junsu’s vision started to darken. Not even two seconds have passed and he suddenly fell on his side. He’ll just leave it to Jaejoong and his quick thinking about these situations.

…faint?

The quick witted man quickly got the message Junsu tried to portray indirectly. He ran up to Junsu who just out.

“Waah~” Jaejoong acted. “What an adrenaline rush! Wake up Junsu~”

“Is he going to be okay?” the guy who kicked the ball asked. “That was so cool! But how did that geek…?”

“He probably didn’t even know it,” Jaejoong lied. “You know how people are when they feel like they’re about to die.”

The guy looked at him confusedly.

“Adrenaline rush!” Jaejoong made it up. Like you’ll get an adrenaline rush from getting hit by a soccer ball.

“OH!” The guy stupidly bought it. “I see. No wonder that geek was able to do it. Even I could probably do it.”

He walked away.

Jaejoong just scoffed at him. “In your dreams,” he mumbled out. He carried Junsu to the nurse’s room.

********

“Wow!” Yunho mouthed out. “Did you just see that? That was amazing!” Both of them looked at the still standing Junsu. “Did you see that? Did you see that? Wow! That geek has some skills!”

Yoochun was just confused. Junsu looked like the type of guy who was bubbly, a pushover but not in very bad way and a clumsy guy. How could he do that? It broke all the laws of logic.

“Wow!” Yunho said out loud for the third time. “He had the soccer ball spinning at the back of the net. I can’t even do that! That was so cool—!!”

He stopped being amazed. Apparently, Junsu just fell to the ground for some weird reason.

Yunho got confused. “I think he fainted, Chun,” he added. He turned to his side just to see Yoochun’s back running out the class door. ‘Is he going to Junsu?’

*****

Yoochun pushed the door to the nurse’s office. He heard the two voices so apparently Junsu was awake as well.

“That was a good fake Junsu,” Yoochun heard Jaejoong say. “Way to leave everything to me.” There was sarcasm in his voice.

“Sorry,” Junsu told him. “I had to.”

Yoochun was confused. So he faked it? Why? With Junsu, he was always confused. He was the only person Yoochun couldn't read. He was always puzzled by his actions— including this one.

He knew he shouldn’t be snooping but for some apparent reason, he was really interested in Xiah Junsu. It felt like they had a connection. And so, he stood behind the curtains trying to find his answer.

“You have to be careful,” Jaejoong sighed. “You almost got busted for the person who you really are.”

“And that’s why you’re here, right?” Junsu smiled at him.

“No, the reason I am here is because this is the only school in the area,” Jaejoong replied. “I know we’ve been stuck together since diapers but don’t do this to me. You scared the out of me—and myself.”

So Jaejoong and Junsu knew each other before already? They’re hiding something but what?

Jaejoong opened the curtains. “I’m going to get you water— Oh Yoochun!” He stared at the man with widened eyes. “We’re you here long?”

“Sorry, I saw Junsu faint and thought you’d be here,” Yoochun replied. “Didn’t want to disrupt your conversation either.”

Yoochun saw Junsu’s and Jaejoong’s gazes at each other. “Did you hear anything?”

“Just that you guys were friends for a long time,” Yoochun lied.

“Good!” Jaejoong said with relief. “You can take over for me then. I’ll leave you two.”

Jaejoong left the nurse’s room. He smiled at his attempt to get both of them together. He continued to walk but the sight of Yunho ahead of him caught his eyes.

It seems Yunho was looking for him. “Have you seen Yoochun?” he asked Jaejoong as he ran towards him.

“He’s with Junsu,” Jaejoong replied.

“Oh, okay. I’ll go check on him too,” Yunho said. He was about to walk away but Jaejoong got a hold of his wrist. He didn’t want Yunho to disrupt Junsu’s alone time with Yoochun. “So, how’s your true love going? Need a hand?” he suddenly asked Yunho.

Yunho stopped walking and faced Jaejoong. “I don’t need advices about true love from someone who had affairs across the globe.”

“You are quick to judge as well, just like your girlfriend,” Jaejoong paused. “So what exactly is this true love you are referring to?” He bent down a bit to look at Yunho’s eyes.

“…” No response. He didn’t want to reply.

“Answer my question Yunho.”

“It’s like getting hit by a bullet,” Yunho said after a while. “Ever felt it?” He rolled his eyes. “But I guess you never have since you don’t know what it feels like.”

“You know what Jung?” Jaejoong replied. “Getting hit by a bullet is no loving matter. I should know. I’ve been hit by one. Once you're hit, you can't think of anything else besides cutting off or having nothing to do with the part that was hit.”

“Yeah, okay,” Yunho rolled his eyes again. “Sure.” He really didn't believe that Jaejoong was hit by a bullet.

“So what is true love Yunho? Explain properly.”

Yunho sighed.

“It’s love that doesn’t make you feel lonely. Where you truly feel happy and never lacking.” Yunho scoffed at Jaejoong. “You should go get one.” He was getting pissed at the other man for some reason. He hated people who asked stupid questions especially about love. He wasn’t pro at this whole subject either. Like he could explain what love is.

“There’s no such thing,” Jaejoong smirked. “You must have been dreaming.”

“There is,” Yunho sharply replied. But in truth, he as well didn't believe in this true love that he spoke of.

“Then where is it? Show me.”

“In your heart—you just know,” Yunho fought back.

“Heart huh?” Jaejoong challenged him. “So what I’m getting from you is that true love makes you happy right Yunho?”

He looked at the man who was a bit aggravated. Jaejoong could tell that he was starting to get annoyed.

Yunho didn’t look like he was going to speak anytime soon and so he just straightened out his figure and began to talk again. He looked devilishly at Yunho’s eyes. “Then why is it Jung Yunho, that when I look at you, I see anything but a happy person?”