The Haunting Past

I'm Cool

 

Chapter 6

 

The Haunting Past

“For some apparent reason, was that Kim Junsu on the other line?” Jaejoong who was wrapped up in bandages asked the shocked Yunho.

“Y-y-yeah. He was looking for you,” he stuttered a reply as he placed his phone in his pocket.

“So what did you find out?” Jaejoong asked with his eyes piercing through Yunho’s dark orbs. This way the man couldn’t lie.

“N-nothing,” Yunho replied. But obviously his reaction said something.

“Your wide open mouth tells me that you’ve found out something. Quickly before I force it out of you,” Jaejoong told him.

Yunho’s gaze shot up. He didn’t want to anger KIM JAEJOONG. “I found out that,” he giggled awkwardly, “you’re a Kim, as in cousin of the wealthiest person in this country and…”

“And?” Jaejoong smirked from Yunho’s reactions.

“And t-that Yoochun is with him now,” the intimidated man answered. “Safely.”

“That’s good to know.” Jaejoong then ended the conversation and took off the covers on top of him, sitting at the edge of the bed. He prepared to get off the bed. “Am I going to get kicked out now? Because I feel slightly better and I am conscious. I don’t want to drag my stay for any longer.”

“No, no. I wouldn’t even think about it,” Yunho smiled awkwardly. “You can stay here till morning. You have to get to school don’t you?”

Jaejoong was surprised at the answer. He expected to leave now. “Thanks, I’ll go back to my rest again then,” Jaejoong simply said as he slowly lied back down to his bed while clutching his ribs.

“Wait Jaejoong…” Yunho had so many questions in mind. “…ahh never mind.” He didn’t want to bother the injured man.

“You probably have so many questions don’t you?” Jaejoong read his mind. “You can ask me all the questions you want while I’m still awake.” He offered.

Yunho ran towards Jaejoong and took one breath. All of a sudden, a burst of questions popped out from his mouth. “How did you get Kim Junsu to buy Yoochun? Why did Kim Junsu buy him for one hundred million dollars? Is Yoochun going to be safe with him? What’s going to happen to Yoochun? Would I still see him at school?”

He talked too fast.

Jaejoong laughed quietly so that he doesn’t hurt his ribs. He stuck out his index finger from his hand. “First, Yoochun saved me from getting beat up by Choi Siwon in the cafeteria and so I took a liking to him. I asked Junsu to keep an eye out for Yoochun. He was at the auction wasn’t he? Second…” He struck out two fingers now. “One hundred million dollars is not a lot of money to us. It is mere change.” Now three fingers. “If Yoochun is with Kim Junsu he’ll be safe.” Four fingers were out now. “Yoochun will probably live with Kim Junsu and …” He pointed his thumb out for his fifth finger. “Yoochun will still continue to go to school.” Jaejoong answered all Yunho’s questions bluntly and then hugged the pillow that sat beside him. He was dead as in literally dead tired.

‘Yoochun? Living with Kim Junsu? No way in hell…’ Yunho thought.

“How do you know Yoochun is safe?” Yunho freaked out. “Kim Junsu is…Kim Junsu is…a—!!!”

Jaejoong yawned. He was tired. It was midnight and he needed to rest his worn out body. “He’s not a ruthless person. Kim Junsu is my cousin …we’re like brothers,” his eyes fought to stay awake. “We have the same personality…And out of all the people in this world, I know him…” Another yawn escaped from his lips. “…best.” His eyes closed and he fell asleep. “Trust me…”

It was dead quiet all of a sudden.

“Jaejoong?” Yunho walked to the now sleeping man. He wanted to ask more questions. “But what about Choi Siwon? He’ll get it from me for sure!” Jaejoong’s eyes shot open and then he quickly got up grabbing Yunho’s shirt. Their faces were almost touching.

“Don’t you ever touch Choi Siwon,” Jaejoong whispered. Their lips were too close for comfort that Yunho could only nod in reply. “He’s mine and Kim Junsu’s prey.” He let go of Yunho now. “And if you understand that, I’ll go to sleep peacefully.” He patted Yunho’s head and lied down on the bed again facing the other direction. “Ack, my ribs…” He sighed in pain.

“But Jaejoong…!” He stopped himself. He forgot who he was talking to again. “Aiiiishh.” He made a sound out of frustration and scratched the back of his head. Even though most of them were answered there was still something that was missing. He couldn’t figure out what though.

He took the couch beside Jaejoong and slept there for the night. At least Yoochun is safe. That’s all he needed to know. He closed his eyes as well, sleeping his tiredness away.

******

“Jong-Il! It’s not your son’s fault that we’re going bankrupt! Don’t take it out on him!” the little Yoochun heard his Mom through the thin walls of the house. “It’s not his fault!”

Yoochun didn’t have to be an Einstein to figure out that his Dad was drunk again tonight.

“Mommy?” he went out of his room and went into the kitchen to stop the argument. “Why are you guys fighting? Is it my fault again?”

“No, no, no son,” she quickly went up to him. “It’s not your fault okay? Never would it be your fault. Your father is just drunk. Dinner will be ready soon. Just go to your room.” She pointed at the fish that was currently frying on the stove and winked at him.

“Get the hell out woman!” Jong-Il pushed Yoochun’s Mom aside, hitting her head on the corner of the stove causing her to be paralyzed with pain for a bit. “And you!” He pointed his empty beer bottle at eight year old Yoochun. “Yes it is your God damned fault! If we don’t have to feed you and bring you to the hospital we would have money right now!”

“It’s my fault?” Yoochun whimpered. “My fault…” He looked at his mother with his dark brown orbs.

“No…no,” the weak woman from the side said. She got up on her own two feet again. “It’s yours okay?!” She cut the air with her right arm and yelled at the drunk father and then went to go hug her own son for comfort. “Don’t listen to him okay? It’s his fault for gambling too much. Don’t worry.” She whispered in Yoochun’s ears.

“Disgusting. Both of you should go and die! This way I’ll survive! If you both die I’ll get more money from insurance,” Jong-Il whispered evilly. “Here, let me help you with that.” He grabbed the propane tank at the corner of the kitchen. “It won’t hurt. I promise,” he said as he lifted the propane tank off the ground, preparing to hit them with one strike.

Yoochun’s mother saw the scene unfolding. She couldn’t believe it. Why?

“Mommy, is father going to hurt us?” Yoochun’s eyes were full of fear. He watched as his father came closer and closer to them.

“Run!” She gave Yoochun a kiss for good luck. “I’ll stop him for you. I'll protect you.”

“But mommy… how about you?”

“You’re going to be fine. Just as long as you’re fine, I’ll be fine,” she smiled at him and looked Yoochun straight at the eyes.

With just one look at his mother’s eyes, his fears went away. They were as calm as the ocean, as blue as the sky.

“Ah, what a sweet time you guys are having. Don’t worry; I’ll make sure you rot together in hell for making this rich businessman suffer for the both of you.” He quickly took a swing at both of them but Yoochun’s Mom was faster than the drunken man. She dodged, pushing the small boy down to the ground with her. Jong-Il ended up missing. There was barely any room for movement in the kitchen and so the propane tank knocked over the pan where the fish was frying, landing on the hot fiery stove.

The woman who was hugging Yoochun on the ground noticed how the propane tank was on heat. Her eyes widened. She quickly got back on her feet and dragged Yoochun. The whole house was going to explode.

“You guys are running?” Jong-Il scoffed. “Can’t get away…” He let go of the propane tank and jumped for the woman’s feet. He grabbed them just before the entrance of the door was opened. “Where are you going?”

“AH!” Yoochun’s Mom fell pinning Yoochun to the ground. Everything…anything is too late. She hugged Yoochun’s small body, burying Yoochun’s head on her shoulders.

The small boy didn’t know what was happening. He could only watch as the man who he now hated deeply smirked at his Mom’s despair. But why? He looked at the white propane tank turning black from the flames of the stove. And then everything just went…

The kitchen exploded. Everything caught on fire after that.

Pain shot at his body everywhere. Shards of materials slashed his face and the next thing he knew everything around him was on fire. A shade of burning crimson surrounded his body. If only he was big enough. If only he was strong enough. It was his fault for being too incapable—for being too small…too stupid.

Heat scorched the whole house now. What was he to do? He clutched his eyes in pain. His eyes… they were burning. He went out from his mother’s embrace and slowly got up but fell back down again seeing the horrendous sight he has just seen with his own eyes. His mother’s whole back was burned. Burning…fire…blood. “Mom…Mom! Wake up!” He kneeled down beside her. His eyes couldn’t shed tears. They hurt so much. It was as if a thousand needles poked his eyes. “MOM! What’s wrong with me? My eyes…everything is blurry.” He shook the half burned corpse and turned her around. Her face was still kept nicely. “Mom…” the small Yoochun roamed his blood covered hands around her face. It was the last image he saw as his vision faded away. He panicked. “Mom…no! I can’t see! Don’t leave me! NO! BLACK… It’s too dark! MOM HELP ME!” he cried and cried but no tears fell out.

The whole time, he held his Mother’s face seeking the comfort that her calming blue eyes gave to him all the time. But now, he couldn’t see. This was the time when he realized he’s going to be all alone. He hated his father. He hated this greedy money loving man. He hated him.

“Mom…Mom…” Yoochun shook at Junsu’s bed. “NO!” His upper body shot up from the soft place he was sleeping at. “No…” Tears filled his eyes as he panted for air. Air. He needed air. A dream. A dream. His past. A nightmare. He clenched his face with his hands.

A glass of water was placed in front of his face. It was held by beautiful fingers with a ring covered with diamonds around its middle finger. “Drink this.” The man who owned the hand told him.

Yoochun looked at Junsu who was wearing a polo shirt with his top buttons ed. His tearful face became full of hate. Rich men reminded him of his father—His father who he despised the most.

“Drink it,” Junsu nudge the glass with water to his face.

Yoochun just ignored him and looked to his left—away from Junsu. He suddenly felt weight on the bed. Suddenly, his cheeks were grabbed and were forced to look at the man.

“Drink,” Junsu said again.

Yoochun had no choice. The man wasn’t going to give up. And so he drank.

“Get ready now and go to school. It’s eight in the morning. Classes should start soon right?” Junsu took the emptied glass and placed it on the table. He rolled his sleeves and buttoned it at his elbow.

At this point, Yoochun took the time to examine the man. "I don't remember fully what happened last night but you saved me, so thanks," he said groggily. "May I know where I am, why am I here, and who you are?"

Junsu scoffed as he buttoned his last sleeve. "You. Park Yoochun right? I rescued you from the ion house yesterday in request of Jaejoong. So, at the moment, you are at my home, on my bed. And, I brought you here because I didn't know where to take you home after attacking me last night and secondly, you were drugged and needed to be treat," he faced Yoochun with a head on gaze, "And my name is Kim Junsu."

Yoochun's eyes widened. He recognized the name Kim Junsu. He knew that name from a long time ago. Thinking about the past, he realized the urgency of getting out of this place unnoticed. In all logic and reason, he was not supposed to be in this house. If he was spotted by Junsu's ather, all hell would break lose and he wasn't ready to face the demon.

"Well then, Kim Junsu," Yoochun spoke with unattached emotions, "I thank you for saving me but I have the need to leave now."

"Leave for school right?" Junsu asked.

“No, I’m not going to school. I’m going home,” Yoochun stated flatly as he got up.

“You’re just going to let Choi Siwon know that he won? Don’t you have pride as a man?” Junsu questioned and got angry on his behalf.

“Pride? Where?” Yoochun freaked out. “It was crushed by people like you! Plus, it's none of you business if Choi Siwon won against me. Shouldn't you be rejoicing? It's fun to treat people like toys and watch them suffer right?"

“I don't know why you're so angry and against me when I'm only giving you advice of how to confront this problem,” Junsu was deeply offended as he walked towards Yoochun. “You don't have fame nor money. So you need pride and confidence. Without pride, you’re just going to be a scared little boy with his tail behind his back.” He stared at the man’s deep blue eyes on the bed but Yoochun broke it off by looking the other way again.

“Why? Why are you doing this?” Yoochun shot a glare at Junsu. “I dislike people like yourself. Rot in hell.” With this, Yoochun kicked the bed’s blankets and walked towards the door. He felt a slight pain tingle down south. His knees felt weak but he ignored it. He didn’t want to show his weakness in front of this man. “I’m going home.”

“You can’t leave yet,” Junsu grabbed Yoochun’s wrist tightly. “Because you see, I own every single thing you have.” He then pulled Yoochun closer to himself. “You hand, you lips, your hair... everything.”

“Bull,” Yoochun said as he flicked Junsu’s hand lock from his wrist. “No one owns me.”

“According to this paper, I do,” Junsu lifted the two sheets that lay beside his wine glass. He held it up on the air for Yoochun to see. “So here are your choices right now. You can either rot in jail breaking the rules of this contract or you can just accept everything so that you can live life normally but with me being a part of it.”

Yoochun just stood there in front of the door. “I’m going to file a complaint to the police. You have no right to do this to me.”

“But I am the police. I am the government,” Junsu said. “I’m powerful enough to listen to no one. So how would you want to live your life now?”

Yoochun furrowed his eye brows and clenched his fists. “I need my uniform.” He just said grabbing the doorknob to open the door.

“I already informed my men that you’ll be moving in with me. I told them to bring everything except your furniture here. Your clothes are already neatly placed in your closet next door.”

Yoochun took his leave and slammed the door shut.

To recuperate, he leaned against the door and tried to gather his thoughts together. Living with Kim Junsu... this was the worst case scenario that could have ever happened. Truthfully, they have met before ten years ago but not in good conditions. It was a nightmare where his mom and Junsu's sister died on the same day all because of his existance. However, judging from Junsu's reaction, he probably doesn't even remember him at all because if he knew he was the cause of his sister's death, he would spite him out of this house. It's been 10 years though. He probably didn't even care for his existance.

*******

Jaejoong walked out of the house in Yunho’s shirt. He couldn’t have walked out of the house with nothing on. “So thanks for letting me stay the night and taking me in.” He bowed with elegance to Yunho and got on his Ferrari.

Yunho grabbed Jaejoong’s car door before Jaejoong zoomed into the streets. “Ehmm…” He lost his trail of thought.

“Yes?” Jaejoong asked. “Do you have another question for me? Or should I correct myself...questions?”

Yunho just blurted out the question. “How come nobody recognizes you? You’re a Kim. And how come you never told me?”

Jaejoong smiled. Jung Yunho is very entertaining. “I work for Kim Junsu. That means I’m on the sidelines. We don’t get spotlighted. And I never told you anything because I don’t talk to strangers. And I never thought of you as someone cute enough...but I think I've changed my mind.”

Jaejoong started his engine.

“But I’m not a stranger,” Yunho answered. “I’m a guy in your class.”

“But that doesn’t mean you’re not a stranger. I never knew your name till yesterday.” Jaejoong laughed quietly still. “Tell you what, let’s meet up again after school. Here’s my number. Tell me when.” With this, Jaejoong stepped on his gas leaving a confused yet shocked Yunho standing there. He zoomed on the streets.

*****

“Sir,” one of the servants knocked in Yoochun’s bedroom door, “Young Master says that it’s time for you to leave for school now. We’ve brought your car over so you can drive it there. And Young Master also told me to tell you that I am now under your care and if you need anything I can do them for you.”

There was a short pause.

“Come in.” Yoochun said.

The servant opened the door and was at his side in a matter of time. “What is it that you need, sir?”

“Will you fix my hair?”

“Sir?” the servant questioned his request.

“Will you fix my hair?” Yoochun asked again.

“Oh! Oh. Yes, if you could just take a seat in front of the mirror I can do it for you.”

“No, not in front of the mirror. I don’t like mirrors.”

“But—you need lots of things for your hair to look great,” the servant replied.

“Fix it with this comb until it looks decent enough.” Yoochun handed her the comb he was holding. "I don't really care what style you make it."

The servant started to tidy his bed hair up a bit. Minutes passed and no one spoke. It was a bit awkward but time passes which meant that the awkwardness also passes.

“If you don’t mind me asking sir, why is it that you won’t go in front of a mirror?”

There was a long pause this time. It was a question Yoochun hesitated to answer but to be polite, he replied anyways.

The servant noticed the uneasiness in Yoochun’s face. “I’m sorry if it’s an insensitive question. Forgive me for asking so you—”

“It's not," Yoochun smiled at her. "It's all in the past now."

There was a pause that overcame the clutter of sound at the house. He than gave her his reason. "It’s because every time I look in the mirror,” he simply cut in, “I see my mother in my eyes.”