Chapter 7 Soju, Video Clips, and FT Island

Lovefool

 

Tiffany screams over to me.  “Taeyeon found a man!”  She drags me to the DJ table and I am introduced to Byun Baekhyun.  The DJ.  Best friend of Kai.  I bow hello, hopefully he doesn’t recognize me, nope the hope is short-lived, he does remember. 
 
“Evey!  Ya!  Long time no see.  Last time I saw you you and Kai were making out in Cheongdam-dong!”  This brat.  Taeyeon squeals.  Tiffany throws her hands in the air for a high-five.  I stupidly give her what she wants. 
 
“That’s my girl!”  Tiffany says sipping her drink.  Then she chokes a bit spraying water on me. 
 
“Ya!  Fany!”  Tiffany’s eyes are locked on something.  I follow her gaze and it’s on Luhan, Kai’s other best friend.  Great.  My best friends have fallen just as hard as I did.  Time to gather them up.  “Alright, let’s go.”  I pull Taeyeon who pulls back with all her might and speaks with her eyes insisting she is staying with the man beside her, Baekhyun.  Tiffany breathes in indicating that Luhan is moving closer.  I do what any respectable friend does when she’s stopping her friends from becoming love struck by underage men.  I slap her.  Just kidding, I don’t slap her, but I think of it.  Luhan smiles his way into the scene of me holding to both girls trying to drag them out.  Baekhyun smiles just as bright and it is here where I lost it.  The two are pleasantly adorable and I can’t blame my friends for falling for that.  I look to my right to where Kai is, still surrounded by his fan girls and I thank the gods that he hasn’t noticed the commotion at the DJ table. 
 
“Oh, Evey noona!  I haven’t seen you since you and Kai were kissing under the moonlight at Cheongdam-dong!”  Some fan girls heard the words that came out of Luhan’s mouth and shot more daggers at me.  I try to laugh it off.  And ignore his adorable Korean pronunciation. 
 
“Hey Evey-noona, this song is for you!”  Baekhyun plays BoA’s Eat You Up.  Perfect.  This gets Kai’s attention.  Well, that signals me that it’s time to leave.  I bail out on my girlfriends and make a mad dash out of the club.  I hear the girls calling out to me then Baeks, over the microphone, saying, “Should I have played SHINee’s Replay?”  Outside of the club I close my coat and I finally catch my breath.  I hurriedly head for the subway station and make my way back home.  Get as far away from that club, far away from Kai, as possible.  Far, far, far away.  I’m close to my building when my phone rings, the ringtone is playing Wrong Number from DB5K.  It’s Hyungsik. 
 
 
“Where are you?”
 
“Eh?  What, why are you calling?”
 
“Where are you?” 
 
“I’m heading back to the apartment."
 
“I thought that was you.  Turn around.”  I do and I see him with a 6-pack of soju in his hands and what looks like Take-Out.  “Nice outfit.  Did you go clubbing with your underage boy toy?”
 
“Shut up, what do you want?”  I already know the answer. 
 
“I got in a fight with Jihyun.  I didn’t want to deal with her.”
 
“So you ran away to your ex-girlfriend’s house?”
 
“We will be OK by tomorrow, but I just need a friend right now.  Besides, you look like you were running away too?”    
 
“No I wasn’t.” I was running from Kai.  I was avoiding him.  “Don’t you have like 8 other members you could be with?”  Hyungsik takes my hand and leads me to the tower.  We arrive at my penthouse and I take a quick shower wiping away the night’s memories. 
 
“So how’s it going with your boy toy anyways?”
 
“Could you refrain from calling him a boy toy, and he doesn’t belong to me.” 
 
“Oooh, ya, did you cut it off?  Did those videos help you make the decision?”
 
“I didn’t even look at them.”
 
“Really?  Do you still have them?  I want to see it.”
 
“I thought you said you didn’t care, just so long as I make the right decision.”
 
“Yeah, but I still want to see what others say about him.”  I hand him the IPad mini and we play it on the big screen via Apple TV.
 
 
First clip:  “Jongin-oppa is so dreamy.”  Fast forward.
 
 
Second clip:  “Jongin is cool, he’s a nice guy, he treats us really…”  Fast forward.
 
 
Third clip:  “Who wouldn’t want him as their boyfriend!” Screaming girls.  Fast Forward.
 
 
Fourth clip:  “He’s smart, really smart, you wouldn’t think it at first because he’s so focused with dancing, but he tutors me a lot in math.” 
 
 
“Eww, he’s got fan boys too.”  Hyungsik’s points out, and fast forwards the clip.
 
 
Fifth clip:  Kai dancing to Mirotic.  He’s so hot.  Shake it off.  I fast forward.
 
 
Sixth clip:  A professor speaks about Kai’s dual nature, “He’s shy when he’s not on stage.  But once he is dancing, he becomes possessed.”
 
 
“See, there is something wrong with him.” Hyungsik is delighted to hear it.  The clip continues:  “It’s like he’s a different person, he’s charismatic, full of emotion, and outgoing.  It borders to complete arrogance.”
 
 
Seventh clip:  “His dancing is poetic.  Kai-oppa is beautiful…” Fast forward.  Getting bored with the compliments I step outside for some fresh air and inhale at the sight of Seoul at night.  The flashing lights remind me of Luhan and Kai’s dancing.  The shiny zippers and details on their jackets reflected the light like stars sparkling.  It almost looked like they themselves were sparkling.  I shake off the thought.  It's become a habit now.  I go back into the living room and Hyungsik offers me a drink. 
 
 
“Did you ever think we’d get back to being friends like this?”
 
“Are we friends, Hyungsik?”
 
“Yeah, I should thank that Kai kid for making us so.”  Even Kai can’t disappear from his head. 
 
 
I turn on the stereo and set up a random play of my FT Island songs:  I Hope plays automatically.
 
Translated:
 
Even if I see you again, you are my love

 
Even if I see you hundreds of times, I am your love

 
You are my love that the heavens have granted
 
You've only lost your way for a little while

 
If I am born again, all I want is you

 
If I love again, all I want is you

 
You'll come back, you'll come back

 
Because I don't exist without you

 
 
I sing along with it.  Why not?  It’s a good song, and it’s how I feel right now.  How can a guy win me over so quickly and easily?  Please don’t answer that, ‘cause I already know how.
 
 
Neoreul dasi bwado neon, neon nae sarang

 
Subaekbeon bwado nan, nan ne sarang

 
Haneuri maejeojun neon nae sarang

 
Niga jamsi gireul irheun geot bbuniya

 
Dasi tae-eonado neoman barae

 
Dasi saranghaedo neoman barae

 
Dolaolgeoya, dolaolgeoya

 
Niga eomneun naneun eobseunikka
 
 
Hyungshik and I reminisce of our times when we were together.  We laugh at some of the funny moments we shared and take jabs at each other regarding how much we've changed.  He talks about Jihyun and how much he really likes her.  He tells me how they met at a reality based show staring idols called The Romantic and the Idol.  He says that fate kept playing its hand and teaming them up on the random dates.  The time he left for Jeju he called me to tell me that he had feelings for someone else.  I threw my phone into the Han River that night.