Chapter 4 Scenario 6 and 7 and 3

Lovefool

 

Scenario six: call up one of my models and play make-believe!  I’m an idiot.

 

Kai impresses me with his acting.  He seems like a true chaebol and the way he describes the fashion trend of idols with Hyungsik makes it seem like he knew exactly what he is talking about. My spidey senses knew all along since that night I met him that he is a smart boy, a clever one, and he played this situation off stunningly.  

 

I try hard not to notice his physique.  His jacket makes him look like an idol star, even though from afar he looks randomly put together as if he found whatever he could find in his closet, yet up close I see that every piece of clothing spoke something about him.  The asymmetrical jacket shows that he plays by his own rules and the slim jeans prove he wants things neat and dislikes excess.  Stripes are always in fashion and he subtly hides the fact that he knows this and wears it under an eye-catching jacket.  His vans are simple, clean, new, black checkered to match his stripe shirt and state that he is practical and they complete the coordinated look.  I think I am over thinking this... I should be paying attention to Hyungsik's reaction to Kai, but he distracts me with his lips and voice.  Darn you pizza delivery boy!  I say in my head and imagining myself pumping my fist at the gods of fate who are laughing hysterically at me from above.

 

Somehow we end up at a bistro in Cheongdam-dong strip when scenario eight hit me.  Call Minho, the actual heir of KJ Fashion.  I’m an idiot.  When we left the mall Kai insisted he change because he felt underdressed, so he asked us to make our way for the restaurant and he'd meet us there.  

 

I am pretty sure the kid bailed.  I think this is payback for my weirdness that night when he delivered the pizza and he obviously knew I was undressing him with my eyes.  Hyungsik couldn't believe of my good fortune with men.  Hopefully he doesn't actually search for the real KJ Fashion heir.  Wait, KJ, Kim Jongin.  Tae and Fany were right, this kid is daebak.  Clever little sh...  The bistro noticeably quieted down.  All eyes were on a light mocha skinned man wearing a fitted navy suit with a French blue spotted bow tie and solid silver vest underneath the jacket.  His hair is swept up and away from his face threatening to fall over his eyes with even the slightest movement, but somehow it remains and gives him a James Dean-Rebel Without a Cause aura and every angle of his beautiful face is exposed.  Where's Tiffany with that camera of hers?

 

I should have titled this chapter, Hyungik Proves to Me Why He’s a Jerk:

 

“So Kai, what high school do you go to?”

 

That bastard Hyungsik!  I look at Kai, waiting for a response.  I try to telepathically send him a message:  tell him you attend university.  Kai gives him that half-smile of his, and I notice Jihyun’s mouth slightly open and her tongue the bottom of her lips.  Back off!  I want to say to her.  “I attend Korea National of Arts.”  I choke on my water, Kai wipes the dribble on my mouth nonchalantly.

 

“You go to Korea National University of Arts?  Wow, that’s a prestigious school.”  Hyungsik is impressed.  This kid is really good.  He’s showing off his “credentials” to the idol star sitting across from him.

 

“I graduated at the top of my class at Seoul School of Performing Arts and entered a year earlier than the kids in my graduating class.  I am currently studying modern and classical dance.”  He spews out lies as well as I do.

 

“Evey graduated from the same school.”

 

“Did she?” Kai looks at me surprised and smiles at me.  Damn you, why are you so good looking?

 

“But aren’t you the heir to KJ Fashion?  Your parents are OK with you attending an Art university?”

 

“Of course.  I also take classes in business and marketing, but they’ve allowed me to see where dance takes me.  Eventually I will honor my filial duty and take over as heir of KJ Fashion.”  I feel envious.  At that moment, I am reminded of my dream as a songwriter. 

 

“So how old are you Kai?” I give Hyungsik the death stare.

 

“I’m 19.”  Kai signals the waitress to refill their drinks.  He isn’t bothered at all by the age difference.  Three years is a bit…I don’t know, I feel a little guilty about the situation now.  I feel this urge to tell Hyungsik the truth.  But Kai looks at me, smiles showing a bit of shiny white teeth and then gives me a wink that could have knocked me out if I didn’t drink so much caffeine and have been jittery all evening. 

 

“I am three years older than Hyungsik,” Jihyun speaks out.  “Age is nothing but a number anyways, right?”  She winks at Kai.  And Kai gives her a nod.  Don’t look at her like that, uncontrollably I get possessive and elbow his side.  He adjusts from the hit and places his arm around me and lays it on the back of my chair.  Hyungsik fidgets a bit from Kai’s action and his brows turn in, he’s reacting the way I want him too.

 

“Well, younger guys are much cheekier,” she lets out a giggle and kisses Hyungsik on the cheek; my turn to be jealous.

 

Kai responds, “Evey is the cheeky one.  She jumps in and out of the hot tub and stands on a table whilst dancing in her hot pink bikini with a super man cape on in the middle of winter.”  How did he know that? 

 

“How did you two meet, Kai?”  Thank goodness Hyungsik interrupts.

 

“I met her at her boutique here, at Cheongdam-dong.”  I never told him about my boutique.  Apparently, when he was getting all done up before coming to the restaurant, he did a thorough background check on me.  Smart boy.  “I was buying a present for a girl I know, and I had this feeling.”

 

“You were buying a present for your girlfriend and you had thoughts about Evey?”  Leading the witness.  Stop that Hyungsik.  

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t cheat on my girlfriend.  In fact, I don’t like those titles.  It was some girl I was dating at the time.”

 

“How many girls have you dated?”

 

“Too many to recall.”  Hyungsik and I both stare at Kai alarmed.  “But my idea of girlfriends, dating, relationships, are different then the normal viewpoint.”  What the hell is he talking about?  He’s a player.  My boyfriend’s a player.  This relationship is doomed.

 

“Well, I guess courting someone to see if they could potentially be in a serious relationship with you does take more than two or three different girls to…”  Hyungsik sounds like an old man, and his attempt to make sense of Kai’s psyche on relationships is going nowhere.

 

“I dated most of those girls for at most two weeks.”  I choke on my soda.  “I never had a relationship that lasted more than two weeks and they weren’t serious at all.” 

 

“Waiter!”  I ask for another refill.

 

“I felt differently with Evey.  I had this pull towards her, at the time, a girl I never officially met.  There was something about her; perhaps I was mesmerized by her European look subtly blending with her strong Asian looks.  One fateful day I found myself walking around the strip and I noticed this girl running into the boutique.  When I entered, she was ranting about how she wanted a certain type of guy to whisk her off her feet.  She was describing the man of her dreams, her fantasies.  Her expectations were too high, but then again, maybe fate brought me to her, maybe I could be that man.”  Wow, he’s really good.  Even I believe him.

 

“How romantic,” Jihyun looks like she wants to kiss Kai after the lies he just told.  I began to feel uncomfortable.  My heart beats faster and my hands begin to tremble.  I shake my left leg out of nervousness.  Who is this boy next to me?  How is it that he’s able to move me with obvious lies?  I close my eyes a slight moment trying to keep my sanity and tell myself that it’s just make-believe. Nothing is real.  This is another one of my fantasies, another one of my daydreams, it may be set in reality but by the night’s end Cinderella goes home alone and the handsome prince is still a pizza delivery boy.  I get up from my seat and dismiss myself to the rest room.  I need a breather; this boy is making me lose my composure, again.  The moments of my rant and him pinning me to the wall that night replays again and again in my head.  I shouldn’t be feeling this way for someone I know nothing about.  He’s just a really good actor who happens to be my fantasy incarnate and is helping me out by getting back at my ex for breaking my heart. 

 

I enter the bathroom and splash water on my face.  I calm my heart down, and my mind can’t seem to stop spinning from thoughts of affection and love towards the boy.  He’s a fake.  This isn’t real.  He’s a fantasy.  This is reality.  He’s pretending, playing up to my fantasy as a favor, he doesn’t really love you.  I let out a sigh.  Why didn’t I runaway earlier, scenario three seems a whole lot better than this current one.