Chapter 22 Fate's Angel

Lovefool

 

 
"You're all back?  Evey?"
 
"She went back to their penthouse."
 
"Sehun?"
 
"He's with her now.  But Kai, they're just friends.  She still loves you very much, I know this."  Luhan insists.
 
I take the telescope and bring it to my bedroom.  I look through and see Sehun and Evey enter the penthouse.  He leads her to her bedroom and leaves to get the luggage.  Evey just stands there.  Sehun looks busy going in and out of the closet and into the bathroom.  I move my telescope to face the bathroom and move it back to face her bedroom.  Back and forth I see Sehun leave and enter the two rooms.  Finally he's in the tub.  Evey is still standing there.  She moves, making her way into the bathroom with Sehun who is in the tub.  She looks down at him, he extends his hand towards her and she enters the tub with him.  She removes the hoodie and allows Sehun to touch her, all over.  With his hands he rubs soap and water on her shoulders, back….he kisses her neck…I've seen enough.  I knock over the telescope and run out my bedroom.  Luhan enters the room to stop me. I can hear him and Baekhyun chasing after me as I run down the hall towards the East wing.  The elevator door dings and it opens.  Our room service comes out with a cart of food and it makes its way towards our wing.  Looking back I see Baekhyun and Luhan trying to get the waiters and their cart to move out of their way.  
 
I knock on the door and no answer.  After a couple minutes she answers, wearing that hoodie.  I push past her and find my target.  He walks out of her room with only a towel.  I should be the only man walking out of her bedroom.  I swing and punch Sehun on the jaw, he staggers and falls and quickly gets back up and pushes me against the wall.  I swing again and punch him square in the jaw.  Baekhyun has his arms around my waist pulling me off of Sehun, Luhan gets between us and pushes me away from the bastard who's stealing away the woman I love.  I see Evey run to Sehun, consoling him, I move towards them again.  The sight angers me.  She shouldn't have any feelings towards him.  She stands in front of me as I was about to swing at Sehun again and she slaps me across my face.  And I freeze.  
 
"Get out."  She is angry.  My fairy, my fantasy incarnate, my love that fate has given to me, twice, is angry.  "Get out, now!"  She turns her back and helps Sehun up.  They enter her bedroom and the door slams shut.  Tiffany and Taeyeon are staring at me, asking me a question or something.  I don't hear them.  Everything is blurry, everything is muddled.  I stand, shocked.  What did I do?  I leave the penthouse and I hear Baekhyun following right behind me.  Room service is still waiting for us at our door, I kick the cart well across the hallway, glare at the waiters, and enter my penthouse.  I can hear Baekhyun apologizing and pushes the cart himself into our penthouse.  I slam my bedroom door and bury my head in my hands.  What did I do?  I look up, grief stricken.  Have I lost her?  Have I lost her for good?  Have I lost her to Oh Sehun?  I look at the telescope, it is upright now.  Luhan must have seen what I've seen.  I move towards the telescope and I look through one more time.
 
Sehun is standing by her bed, her arms wrapped around his waist and her face is buried on his stomach.  Sehun is rubbing her back.  The look in his face is one of concern, compassion, sympathy.  Not of lust or fiery passion.  I adjust the focus.  She's holding to him tightly and she slightly lifts her face to look up at Sehun.  He takes his handkerchief and wipes her tears.  The tears keep coming.  Why is she crying?  Why aren't they in a warm embrace?  A kind of embrace with passion towards the person they love.  Sehun takes her to the bathroom and washes her face for her.  He dries her face the best he can, still their are tears running down her eyes.  He smiles and says something to her.  She cries some more and hugs him again, this time burying her face in his chest.  Sehun continues to rub her back almost as if he's allowing her to cry her heart out.  He carries her into the bedroom and lays her on her bed.  He puts the blanket over her and kisses her forehead.  He turns to leave but he hesitates, does she not want him to leave?  He crawls into bed with her.  She places her back against his chest and Sehun wraps his arms around her.  She turns to her other side, this time facing Sehun and buries her face in his chest once again.  
 
My heart pounds.  I remember that feeling.  That action.  That moment she cuddled into my chest.  I hear her steady breathing and feel her warmth.  I take in the smell of her hair, the cherry blossom scent on her skin.  The softness of her legs rubbing against mine.  I enter my bed and get under the blankets.  I try to recall her smell, her touch, her voice, her lips…
 
 
I wake up with soreness on my hand.  Guilt fills me up.  I take a long shower and dress myself up with charcoal sweatpants and a sky-blue zip up hoodie over a sleeveless black shirt.  As soon as I enter the living room, I notice the telescope has been moved from my room back to the living room.  I look in Baekhyun's room and he's still asleep with Taeyeon in his arms.  I hear Luhan in the shower.  I head for the kitchen and Tiffany is sitting reading on her IPad.  
 
"Good morning."  She asks nonchalantly.
 
"Hey."  I manage to respond.  The door bell rings and she answers it.  Room service.  The waiters from yesterday bow with a slightly scared look on their faces.  I remember that I kicked their cart well across the hallway last night.  I bow back to them.  They set up the food on the table and roll their cart out avoiding eye contact.
 
"Come and eat, Kai."  I am starving.  I sit with her and begin eating the sausage and egg omelet.  I take a Belgium waffle and grab the can of whipped cream.  I stare at the can, remembering.  I shake it off and grab the syrup.  I hesitate at first and then pour the warm maple syrup on top.  A flash of memory appears in my head of her pouring syrup on my chest and it off.  My body tingles from the memory.  I look up seeing Tiffany staring at me and smiling.  I notice she's wearing Luhan's shirt again.  The shirt is too big and hangs slightly off her left shoulder.  I give her a slight smile from the corner of my mouth and begin to eat.  We sit quietly for 15 minutes.  Luhan comes out of his room, his hair still wet from the shower, and kisses Tiffany on her bare shoulder.  Must be nice.  
 
"Hey."  Luhan's only words to me.
 
"Hey."  We nod to each other and Tiffany hands Luhan a plate which she places a waffle on.  She fixes his waffles the way he likes and gives him some scrambled eggs.  She pours ice water for him too.  And Luhan kisses her on the lips this time to thank her for the breakfast.  It's not like she cooked it.  It was delivered to us, you dummy.  I keep eating my breakfast anticipating what they are going to ask me.  For sure they are curious about the incident yesterday and how I will fix things between Evey and I.  I am not sure if I want to fix it.  She's with Sehun now.  I waited too long.  I was married.  I went on my honeymoon.  All that was the biggest sign that shouts loud and clear that I moved on.  And it stings because I didn't move on, I tried to make myself believe that I did.  I tried to hate her.  But I couldn't.  Like a magnet I came back to her, like the moon and the Earth and the sun, I needed to be with her in order to function properly.  
 
"Hey."  Baekhyun.  
 
"Hey."  I nod at Baekhyun as he sits next to me.  He reaches for the bacon first.  He and Taeyeon share a plate and eat contently.  No one speaks about the incident.  The five of us eat in silence only to be interrupted a few minutes later by a knock on the door and then a ring.  Sehun.  He's the only one that knocks and impatiently rings the door bell too.  I get up to answer the door, but Baekhyun gets up before me and does it himself.  
 
"Hey, hyung."  Sehun and Baekhyun greet each other with a hug.  
 
"You want some breakfast?"
 
"No, Evey and I ate already.  Thanks though."  'Evey and I' it seems so natural for him.  I push my plate away from me and move towards my room.  Sehun stops me grabbing my arm.  Luhan gets up, probably thinking I would strike him again.  It's alright, hyung, I accept my defeat.  "Hyung, can we please talk?  This is important."
 
Luhan and Baekhyun are right next to us making sure I don't go wolverine again on his .  
 
"Sehunnie, it's OK.  I understand.  I'm sorry for yesterday.  I was stupid.  You won her, fair and square."  I hug Sehun.  And walk back to my room.  
 
"Hyung it's not like that."  Sehun cries out to me.  "She and I, noona and I, aren't like that."
 
I turn around.  I really don't hear much of what he just said, I honestly just want to enter my room, crawl into bed, and dream of her one last time.  "Kenchannayo, Sehunnie.  You are the best man for her.  You've been with her all this time, thank you for loving her."  (Translated:  It's alright.)
 
"Hyung!  Listen to me.  Noona loves you.  I've been helping her.  But not to get OVER you, but to get back WITH you.  I'm not stupid, hyung.  I know you love her too.  So stop being an idiot and gather up your confidence and tell her how you feel."  Suddenly this young boy is no longer the naive kid I used to know.  "She's lost without you.  She's a coward, she can't find the strength to approach you because the last time she tried she got a door slammed at her face."  I remember when she came to my penthouse and afterwards I saw her head buried in her knees.
 
"She still loves me?"
 
"She never stopped.  And despite how you acted, I know you never stopped loving her either."  He knows me too well.  "You once told me to be honest, to never hide how I feel regardless of the consequences.  Can you honestly walk away from her after fate gave you two another chance to be together?  You told me to live without regrets.  To take the leap without fear.  Are you telling me that you lied, that you don't believe your own words?"  
 
Out of habit I look at the telescope, then I look towards the East tower.  I know what I need to do thanks to this kid.  Fate gave him an important role, without him, Evey and I would have been lost altogether.  I hug Sehun and run out the door.  I don't bother to put my shoes on.  I hear rumbling behind me, I'm being followed by Luhan, Baekhyun, Sehun, Tiffany and Taeyeon.  I laugh at the sight of it.  I notice that Sehun left the door ajar, so I enter.  The others are quietly approaching behind me wanting to witness what is about to unfold.  The door slams, thanks to Baekhyun not thinking of stopping it.  
 
"Sehunnie?"  Evey asks for him, I look at Sehun and signal him to enter the living room.  He does.  "Where'd you go?"
 
"I needed to talk to Jongin hyung."
 
"Oh, what, what did he say?  Umm, how'd it go?"
 
"Why don't you ask him yourself?"  Sehun steps aside and I approach Evey for the first time with confidence, and the desire I once felt for her is flaming inside of me like wild fire.