Of Pride And Kisses

The Thread Of Circumstance
Three days. It’s been three days since the huge argument they had and yet, they weren’t okay. For the past two nights, they both slept separately. As much as she stopped thinking about him, she terribly missed him. She hasn’t seem him for the past three days since he’s usually gone when she wakes up and before he even arrive at night, she’s already fast asleep. She wondered if he was seeing Yuna during those times. But the longing prevailed. She terribly missed the friend she had in him. So she decided to take the first step. She woke up early in the morning and prepared him a breakfast.
 
She suddenly went very still when he entered the kitchen. Time seemed to stop as they stood frozen on their spots, not saying anything but just staring at each other. Dara suddenly blushed at the crazy pounding of her heart, embarrassed that through the silence, he’s going to hear it. But then, he broke eye contact by looking away. He sighed heavily and was about to leave when Dara whimpered, stopping him on his tracks. He looked over his shoulder to see if she was alright but when there seemed to be nothing wrong with her, he looked straight up ahead again.
 
“Jiyong. . .” she barely whispered but still, he heard her. “I. . . I made you some breakfast.”
 
Jiyong didn’t move, didn’t speak. Receiving no response from him, her heart faltered until it went back to normal.
 
“If. . . if you’re in a hurry, that’s okay,” she mumbled, bowing her head down.
 
“Did you put honey in them?”
 
He head snapped up, her face brightening up. “I. . . uhm, no. . . I was. . . “
 
“That’s okay,” he kindly said. “I’ll do the mixing myself.”
 
Dara smiled a little. “I’ll go get the jar of honey.”
 
“No, I’ll get it,” he told her. “Just make me a cup of coffee.”
 
Minutes ticked. No one dared to speak again as to neither of them seemed to know what to say. It went on like that until Jiyong finally finished his meal. Clearing his throat to grab her attention, he pressed a napkin on his mouth. “I’m done,” he said. “I’ll go ahead.”
 
“T-take care,” she said.
 
Silence.
 
“I will,” he said. “You take care of yourself, too.”
 
“I’m just staying here in the house so there’s really no need for that. . . .” she awkwardly said.
 
Jiyong just sighed and looked at her, as if waiting for something. When nothing happened, he just sighed again. “I’m leaving now.”
 
“Okay,” she nodded slowly.
 
Silence enveloped them again.
 
“Err, have you forgotten something?” she asked as Jiyong showed no signs of leaving.
 
“I said I’m leaving already,” he said.
 
“I heard you the first time,” she answered, frowning a little.
 
“Oh never mind!” he growled and turned to leave.
 
Dara was left dumbfounded. “Eh?” she blankly asked herself. “What did I do wrong?”
 
And then, a thought came to her. What if he was waiting for her to say sorry? Biting her lower lip down, she anxiously ran after him but his car was already too far for her to stop. She went back inside the house with slumped shoulders.
 
“He should have just told me what he wanted!” she mumbled. “I’m not a mind reader. How did he expect me to know what he’s thinking?”
 
She looked around the empty house. Everything seemed so. . . dull. Without Jiyong’s presence, everything’s just plain, lifeless even at some points. Oh, how she missed him but she’s too scared to say that out loud. She got all tongue-tied a while ago, too overwhelmed that he was talking to her again and just by seeing his face again made her mind blank.
 
“I think I’m going crazy!” she scoffed. Then, an idea formed in her mind.
 
- - -
 
Dara glanced at her wristwatch. It was fifteen minutes before twelve noon. She nibbled down on her lip as she waited for the elevator to reach the floor where Jiyong’s office was. She took in a deep breath as the doors opened. When she stepped out, she saw someone walking to the opposite direction.
 
“Ahm, excuse me!” she called.
 
The woman stopped and turned to face her. “Yes?”
 
“Do you know where Jiyo- I mean, Kwon Jiyong’s office is?”
 
The woman’s brows knitted as she tried to recognize her through her messily done hair and large dark glasses. “Are you. . . are you Sandara Park?”
 
Dara gave an awkward chuckle. “Y-yeah.”
 
“Follow me,” she said. “Coming to visit your husband, are you?”
 
“Sort of,” she answered. “I just wanted to bring him some lunch. . .”
 
“Oh, that’s good. He hasn’t eaten anything for the past two days.”
 
“R-really?” she stammered as she trailed behind her.
 
“Yes,” the woman answered absentmindedly. “I was his father’s secretary and now, his.”
 
“Oh,” Dara could only mumble.
 
“Here you go,” she stopped and smiled at her. “Just let yourself in. I still got some things to do.”
 
“I. . . you. . .” Dara protested but the woman already walked away. She glanced back at the door and swallowed hard first before reaching for the knob. She then pushed the door open.
 
“How many times do I have to tell everybody that I didn’t want to be disturbed?!” Jiyong’s impatient voice greeted her. She winced a little and she lingered on the door, just watching him frown over some piles of folders on his desk. “I said I don’t want – Dara!” he exclaimed as he looked up.
 
“H-hi!” she stammered. “I. . . I-I didn’t mean to disturb you. I just thought of bringing you lunch. I won’t be long. I’ll just. . .” she trailed then tiptoed to his table and place the paper bag on top of it. “I’ll go ahead,” she quickly said and turned away.
 
“Dara,” he called, stopping her in her tracks. “Stay there.”
 
Jiyong stood up and walked to the door. He secured the lock of the closed door before facing her again. Seeing what he did, she suddenly felt claustrophobic. And when Jiyong started taking lengthy strides towards her, she nervously took a step back. “I’m sorry,” she quickly said. “I didn’t mean to-”
 
“Shh,” he hushed shushed her, placing a finger on her lips. Slowly, his finger went down to her chin to raise it up. Without breaking eye contact, he angled his head to the side. Thinking that he was going to kiss her, Dara’s eyes automatically closed. “No,” Jiyong whispered. “Don’t close your eyes yet, Dara.”
 
“H-ha?” she breathed, eyes blinking open.
 
“That’s right,” he went on, still in his low and whispering voice. “Don’t close your eyes yet. I want you to look into my eyes as I closed the distance between our faces.”
 
Like an obedient child, she followed. Staring straight into each other’s eyes, Jiyong started closing the gap separating their faces. An eternity it seemed to pass before their drenched lips finally met. Upon the first brush of their mouths, their eyes then closed in unison. Dara lifted her hands to his shoulders for support as her knees went marshmallow. The kiss was something they’ve never shared before. It was slow, sweet, soft. . . heartwarming even that all she could do is sigh and kiss him as slowly, as sweetly, as softly and as heartwarmingly back. The need of air made them break the kiss.
 
Cupping her small face in his hands, Jiyong leaned his forehead against hers. With their eyes still closed, they both welcomed their constant companion called silence. Time seemed to not matter to the both of them as they remained standing in the middle of the room with their eyes still closed and foreheads joined together.
 
“Dara,” he broke the silence.
 
“Mmm?”
 
“Dara,” he mumbled again. “My wife. My wife is here.”
 
Dara’s eyes then flew opened. Leaning away, she cleared awkwardly. “Aren’t you hungry?”
 
“Not until you mentioned it,” he chuckled and took her hand. “Eat with me?” he asked as he pulled her with him towards his desk.
 
“I already ate back in the house,” she told him.
 
“I won’t eat if you won’t eat with me,” he pouted a little.
 
“Ya! That’s really. . . childish!”
 
“I just want to share a meal with my wife,” he reasoned out.
 
Dara felt her cheeks warmed up and she can’t seem to hold Jiyong’s gaze that long, making her look away. She tried to pull her hand from his grasp but the guy was being stubborn. Instead of letting her be, he only tightened his hold on hers as he took a sit on his chair. With a sly smile, he patted his lap.
 
“No way!” Dara strongly protested.
 
“Then I won’t eat,” he said.
 
“That’s. . . that’s blackmail!” she exclaimed.
 
“It’s not called blackmail,” he corrected. “It’s called being slyly sweet.”
 
“Sweetly sly, you mean!” she grimaced.
 
“Whatever way you want it,” he shrugged. “Now come here.”
 
“No,” Dara shook her head.
 
“Why not?” he demanded.
 
“It’s embarrassing!”
 
“Why would it be embarrassing? Married couples do this kind of stuff,” he said.
 
She was about to remind him that they’re not REALLY considered as a REAL married couple but thought otherwise. She came here to apologize for exploding the last time and she didn’t want to fight with him again.
 
“It’s still embarrassing,” she mumbled.
 
“No, it’s not,” he argued and suddenly pulled her down on his lap, her body positioned sideways. “Now my wife, I demand you to feed me.”
 
“Feed you?” she ghastly asked. “Are you out of your mind?”
 
“Maybe,” he shrugged and gave her a peck on the lips, acting totally playful. After chuckling at her reaction, he leaned slightly forward so Dara wouldn’t fall off his lap as he cleared his table and set the piles of folders and documents aside.
 
“You’re really being overly childish, Jiyong,” she complained.
 
“Please?” he puckered, flashing his puppy eyes at her.
 
“Gah!” she choked. “Fine! I’ll feed you just don’t do that again!”
 
“Why? Is it too effective?” he playfully asked and batted his eyes lashes at her.
 
“Oh my God!” she laughed out loud. “That was so ugly!”
 
“Who are you calling ugly?”
 
“You!” she continued laughing.
 
“Is that so?”
 
“Aah! No, stop. . . stop . . . stop it!” she hysterically giggled as he started tickling her. “Haha. . . stop. . . .”
 
“Who are you calling ugly again?”
 
“No one!” she giggled.
 
“Good girl!” he grinned and stopped tickling her. “Now, feed me.”
 
Jiyong kept his eyes on her face while she proceeded on feeding him. She was smiling as she recounted the funny show she happened to watch on television. She was too engrossed with her story telling that she didn’t notice he was giving her a weird look. But he was glad she remained oblivious. He was sure she’ll be conscious about it and he didn’t want her to feel awkward in any way.
 
After consuming all the foods she brought, his eyes then went down. “Your creamy thighs are really tempting.”
 
“W-what?” Dara blushed and followed his gaze. “Oh!” she voiced out and tried to pull down the hem of her skirt.
 
“No,” Jiyong stopped her hands. Then, his hand slid to her skirt and in between her thighs. He started caressing the inner side of one thigh. When he felt her froze, he smiled and slipped his hand further in, making her gasp. That’s when he looked back at her face.
 
“J. . . Ji. . .Jiyong!” she croaked.
 
“Yes?” he innocently asked.
 
“I. . .”
 
“What?”
 
“I. . . .” she exhaled, face totally flushed. “I brought the jar of honey with me,” she told him and quickly reached for it from the paper bag. “Want some?”
 
Jiyong could only blink at her.