Of Suspicions And Limits

The Thread Of Circumstance
Jiyong watched Dara’s sleeping face. It’s been days since Eun Jo’s accident. He shook his head upon remembering the way the well-respected woman threw a fit after finding out that she can’t see. He couldn’t quite believe how Dara was handling the situation. She’s been so patient, thoughtful and too kind to her sister. She visits Lady Eun Jo everyday, takes care of her and provides everything the latter needs when no one’s there to help the woman.
 
He’s been having this weird feeling too, everytime he sees Dara’s face. Something has changed and it was scaring him. She became SO quite, too. Gone was the wife who shares nice and friendly conversations with him every morning. Gone was the wife who laughs at his jokes. Gone was the wife who playfully blushes everytime he teases her.
 
He took his phone out. After a few rings, the other line was answered. “Is it possible to put tracking devices on cars before morning comes?”
 
Dara suddenly decided to drive her own car days ago. He actually thought she didn’t have a driving license but it turned out that she does. He wasn’t being nosy or suspicious but he just wanted to make sure.
 
Just in case.
 
Morning came. Jiyong took a sip of honeyed-coffee from his cup. He glanced up when Dara came in. “Good morning,” he smiled. “Breakfast?”
 
Dara’s eyes fell on the table. Then, she lifted her eyes up to him. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled. “I’ve been neglecting my duties as a wife to you.”
 
He didn’t say anything.
 
“I’m just stressed with all these things going on,” she said. “The press people are having a field day again. My family’s under the spotlight because of me for the nth time.”
 
“Would you rather me being investigated than your sister being questioned by the authorities?” he asked.
 
“It’s not like that,” she said. “And besides, you’re off the hook already.”
 
“Why would you bother yourself with something that wasn’t your fault and you don’t have a control with?”
 
“But it’s MY fault,” she mumbled.
 
“When will you stop blaming yourself, Dara?” he snapped, patience growing thin. “Aren’t you sick and tired of it?”
 
Silence.
 
“Why?” she softly asked. “Are you getting sick and tired of me already?”
 
“I’m sick and tired of the way you see yourself!” he exclaimed. “I’m sick and tired everytime you act this way!”
 
Silence stretched between them.
 
“I see,” she slowly nodded. “In short, I’m being a burden to you already.”
 
“What?” he breathed.
 
“Maybe we should file for a divorce,” she casually suggested.
 
Jiyong glanced sharply at her, eyes narrowing. He tried to see if she was serious or just bluffing. He wasn’t sure if he should take her seriously or not. He wasn’t even sure how to react. Should he laugh cynically? Should he get angry? Should he just shrug it off?
 
“Why?” he finally spoke up. “Are YOU getting tired of me?”
 
“I don’t want to be a burden anymore.”
 
“You didn’t answer the question.”
 
She pursed her lips. “No,” she finally said. “I’ll never get tired of you but-”
 
“Dara, don’t you think we’re just going in circles?” he heavily sighed. “The only way for us to live harmoniously together is if you stop seeing yourself so worthless because you’re not worthless. You should stop being so blind, selfless and martyr when it comes to your family or to Lady Eun Jo because it’s not going to help her change.”
 
“She’s my sister. I can’t NOT do anything to help her!”
 
“Exactly!” he returned. “She’s your sister but she still managed to plan to kill you and-”
 
“She had a good reason for doing so,” she cut off. “I’m not the legal heiress of the Parks. And FORGIVENESS IS DIVINE. If we don’t know how to forgive and forget, then-”
 
“Can you do that to me, too?” he cut off. “If I made a mistake, would you forgive and forget too?”
 
“Y-yes. O-of course I would!”
 
“Why do you treat me so differently?” he asked, hurt. “Dara, I’m your family now.”
 
“Jiyong. . . I feel responsible for what’s happening to my family.”
 
“But it isn’t your fault,” he pointed out.
 
Dara was about to argue again but she thought otherwise. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I don’t want to fight with you anymore.”
 
Jiyong’s face softened. “I don’t want that, too.”
 
Dara rounded on the table and went to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest. “I’m so sorry.”
 
Jiyong hugged his wife back. “Let’s not fight or argue anymore, okay?”
 
“Okay,” she nodded against his chest.
 
“I love you,” he said.
 
“I love you, too.”
 
Jiyong hugged her tighter with a smile on his face. They remained that way for a few seconds until he decided to break the silence by whispering something intimate in her ear. When he pulled away gently and looked at her face, she was red all over.
 
“So. . .” he trailed. “What do you think?”
 
Dara blushed even further but then, she nodded. Jiyong chuckled and swept her off her feet. He then carried her to their room. Upon reaching the room, he gently put her down on the bed and attacked her lips without warning.
 
“Ji. . .” she breathed.
 
“I missed this,” he huskily said. “I missed you.”
 
Dara gasped when she suddenly felt cold. She looked down at herself and found out that she’s already . She wondered how and when it happened because she didn’t notice and felt him stripping her clothes off. But her thoughts were sidetracked by the fact that Jiyong was still fully clothed.
 
“Ya!” she said. “Take your clothes off”
 
“Why don’t you take them off yourself?” he smirked.
 
With clumsy hands, she did.
 
“Relax,” he said. “It’s not like you haven’t done this before.”
 
“Just kiss me,” she hissed.
 
He gave a throaty chuckle before giving in to her demand. He could feel his body tensed and trembled from excitement. It’s been too long. He wasn’t being a ert. But coupling with his wife’s one of the greatest gifts given to him.
 
When he was as bare as her, he pulled up again and gazed down lovingly at her. A sweet smile curved his lips. “I’ll never get tired of looking at you like this. Up until now, I still couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that you’re the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen and will ever see.”
 
She reached out to cup his face. “Let’s do this together,” she smiled.
 
He smiled back, liking the word together. “Yes, together.”
 
- - -
 
Jiyong stretched and yawned lazily. He reached out beside him. When a cold, empty space greeted his searching hand, his eyes suddenly snapped open. With a frown, he pushed himself up. A folded note was placed neatly on Dara’s pillow. Fear suddenly gripped his heart. With urgency, he reached out for it.
 
Jiyong,
 
I’m sorry but I have to do this. It’s the only way I know to give my bothered heart and mind the peace they’ve been searching for.
 
I know you won’t let me do this while I’m still alive. And even if you do allow me, I’ll only end up being a burden again. I don’t want that. I don’t want to burden you anymore. I don’t want you to suffer. You have to know that I love you, Jiyong. I really do. I love you so much that it hurts me to leave you without even giving you anything memorable.
 
I love you but I have to say goodbye.
 
Until we meet again, my husband. . .
 
Jiyong crumpled the paper. The day he feared has finally arrived. He quickly jumped off the bed and put some clothes on. He took the GPS device and ran out of the house. He cursed himself when he forgot to bring his keys with him. He went back to the house and snatched them up. He ran outside again and immediately stepped into his car. He brought the engine to life and sped down the road. He took his phone out and pressed 2. But Dara’s phone was off. He should have known better. Of course that was expected. He threw the phone aside and took out his GPS device.
 
The red dot was moving meaning Dara’s car’s on the move, too. That also means she’s driving and she’s still alive. He should be grateful for that. He suddenly swerved to the right upon seeing where Dara’s car was heading. “Don’t you dare. . . . don’t you dare. . . .” he gritted almost desperately.
 
He was on the verge of crying but he held the tears in. No, he doesn’t care about the alpha male thing and the phrase ‘boys don’t cry’. There’s a more pressing matter at hand.
 
He wasn’t so sure how many cuts he took already. It was frustrating that eventhough he took a lot of shortcuts, he still hasn’t reached the same road her car was taking. Time is everything to him as of the moment. He CANNOT be late. He shouldn’t be late.
 
He inched the pedal further to the floor. His eyes were going back and forth to the GPS device and the road. He still needs to get two more shortcuts before getting to the road Dara’s car taking.
 
“Oh God, please guide her!”
 
If only he could transport himself to her car just like what he saw in movies. But that was a fictional world.
 
This. . .this was reality, fact.
 
His heart pounded painfully against his chest when he found himself on the same road as her. He was on an empty freeway. With a puff of breath, he stepped further on the gas pedal. A frown marred on his forehead upon seeing that the car stopped. He looked up ahead. What he saw made his body cold. Dara’s car was off the road, facing the cliff.
 
“No. . .”
 
He already reached the place where Dara’s car was when it suddenly started moving. He quickly stepped on the brake and climbed off the car.
 
“NNOOOO!!!” he screamed when the car flew off the ground. Without thinking, he ran towards the cliff. He heard a loud splash right before he dived. It felt eons until his body finally reached the water. Dara’s car was sinking deeper. He swam towards it and tried to yank the door open but it won’t budge. He saw Dara sitting still on the driver’s seat with her eyes closed. With desperation, he elbowed the window on the backseat and reached inside to unlock the door on the driver’s side. He quickly opened the door and freed Dara’s seatbelt, who finally had her eyes opened, looking totally shocked. But he didn’t pause to dwell on that. He started pulling her up. But she struggled. He was running out of breath. Left with no choice, he grabbed a fistful of her hair and started swimming upwards while pulling his wife by the hair with him.
 
When he broke to the surface, his hungry lungs then took over. He started breathing really hard while Dara was gasping and choking at the same time. He wanted to yell at her but he doesn’t have the strength to do that just yet. As soon as his hunger for air decreased, he started swimming to the shore, still bringing Dara by the hair with him.
 
Upon reaching the shore, he crawled then dropped down on the sand. He closed his eyes and let his lungs get some air. He heard Dara breathing hard, too. As he did, he opened his eyes and stared at her.
 
“What the ?!” he confronted her, terribly wanting to shake the wits out of her. “WHAT THE ?!?” he yelled.
 
“H-how did you know where I was?” she asked in between gasps.
 
“DOES THAT MATTER?” he demanded. “YOU DROVE YOUR CAR OFF THE FREAKING CLIFF FOR WHAT INSANE REASON, HUH?!”
 
“They haven’t found a compatible do-”
 
“SCREW THEM!” he cut off. He was on the roll. “ALL YOU EVER THINK OF IS THAT WRETCHED FAMILY OF YOURS! TELL ME, DID YOU EVEN PAUSE TO THINK WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME ONCE YOU’RE GONE?! ONCE YOU’RE DEAD?! DID YOU EVEN THINK OF WHAT OR HOW I WOULD FEEL OR THE PAIN YOUR DEATH WILL BRING ME?!? TELL ME!!!”
 
She didn’t answer. Unable to control it, Jiyong started tearing up when he didn’t receive any response from her.
 
“You didn’t, did you?” he croaked. “You didn't think of me because all you ever cared for was your family!”
 
The truth hurts. Oh yes, it does. The realization hit him hard. He looked away and let the tears wet his already wet cheeks.
 
“You didn’t even think of me when all I ever did was. . .” he said almost breathlessly. Slowly, he faced her again. “I can only do some things, Dara. I can’t do everything but I try. I always try so hard to the point that I’m already draining myself out!”
 
“You don’t understand. . .” she cried.
 
“THEN LET ME UNDERSTAND!” he roared. “I’ve been trying to understand you everyday, Dara. EVERY SINGLE DAY! But I’ve got my limits, too. I’m just human. Huh! Even Clark Kent falls down on his knees when the krypton stone’s in front of him. Even Superman has a weakness. I can’t always play the superhero to Lois Lane, Dara.”
 
He glanced up to prevent more tears from falling. But it was useless.
 
“This is the farthest I can go,” he said, voice breaking. “I can save you from drowning but I can never save you from yourself. I’ve already pushed my heart to the limit. It can’t bear to go on and take another stab. It’s too much already. IT’S TOO MUCH. . .”
 
He looked at Dara again. A lump rose to his throat at the look on her face. She made the decision all by herself, he could see that. And isn’t this what he wanted her to do? To make her own decisions? Isn’t this his objective at the beginning?
 
Weakly, Jiyong stood up and walked away. No, he can’t bear it anymore. He’s just a human being, he got limits too. “. . . too much. . . it’s too much already. . . too much,” he mumbled over and over and over again to himself.
 
Dara watched him leave. Then, she broke down to tears.